• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 (slim) coming to NA this Spring bundled w/ Borderlands 2 - $199

level44

My White/Blue Vita 2000 arrived this morning, 4 days prep/ship from Japan. Total was $233

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/uAGfZ

2000 > 1000

Just so much more comfortable to hold, and every single button on the 2000 is better, including the rear touch which was thankfully shrunken down.

You got the best colour there.
I've also got a 2000 but only black was released in the UK.

2000 > 1000 definitely

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
My White/Blue Vita 2000 arrived this morning, 4 days prep/ship from Japan. Total was $233

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/uAGfZ

2000 > 1000

Just so much more comfortable to hold, and every single button on the 2000 is better, including the rear touch which was thankfully shrunken down.
Nice, and what about the analog sticks? Feel any different? Bette, the same etc?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Everyone who hates on the slim has never actually used it.
I've used it.

I hate the LCD. I really dislike LCDs in general, though. Cancer of the display industry.

I love the rest of the changes. Wish I could swap in an OLED display. :-/

Peterthumpa

I've used it.

I hate the LCD. I really dislike LCDs in general, though. Cancer of the display industry.

Dat GAF hyperbole. I guess you never had a chance to try an HTC One?

I've used it.

If the OLED had anywhere near accurate color reproduction I'd agree. The OLED had the new screen beaten in every category except the wildly oversaturated color. The OLED's inability to produce a solid consistent gray bothered me a lot too.

entremet

I've used it.

Did you buy one, Dark.

I agree with you, but I may buy a Japanese one--love those colors--just to add to the collection.

OmegaFax

The original Vita's screen had nice colors but whenever I played one, couldn't shake the look of the grainy whites or the blotchiness produced when the screen had to transition from very light colors to very dark colors. Reminded me of the PSP-1000 days. Any changes, like the switch to LCD with the Vita, is welcome in my opinion.

Good that Sony's finally coming around to releasing it in NA. Guessing they're holding back their Penguin powered color salvo for the holidays.

Nice, and what about the analog sticks? Feel any different? Bette, the same etc?

Analogs feel exactly the same.

I'll list the buttons in order of how much they've improved:

Rear touch: Smaller, much less accidental presses, makes the Vita a LOT more comfortable to hold.

PS Button: Bigger, no longer recessed, and doesn't flash a big ass blue LED in your face 24/7

Start/Select: Bigger, not recessed, round instead of oval

Triggers: Rounder, a little less spongy, a little less wobbly

D-pad: Feels a little better, hard to describe why.

Face buttons and analogs feel pretty much exactly the same.

dark10x

Dat GAF hyperbole. I guess you never had a chance to try an HTC One?
Nothing to do with GAF. I detest LCD displays. Straight up. It's not even about the motion (which light boost can help address), rather, the poor black levels. Without utilizing locally dimmed pixels in high density (super rare and never available in PC monitor or portable devices), you simply cannot achieve good black levels. I laugh at people shelling out thousands on a GPU for their PC only to pair it with an LCD monitor. Talk about a waste.

Interestingly, the Kuro Elite plasma I use produces blacks even darker than the Vita OLED display (just a tad darker) and without blotchiness. I have a couple of LCDs on my desktop for work but I never use them for gaming (27" 1440p IPS + 23" 1080p TN). The 27" is great for work but that's it.

If the OLED had anywhere near accurate color reproduction I'd agree. The OLED had the new screen beaten in every category except the wildly oversaturated color. The OLED's inability to produce a solid consistent gray bothered me a lot too.
Well, the OLED in Vita isn't the best. It's good enough and better than any LCD but low persistence OLEDs are where it's at.

However, I don't think color accuracy really comes into play here as the games for Vita are DESIGNED with that screen in mind. If you're utilizing the Vita for alternative content it could be an issue but if you're just gaming with it there's no problem.

The LCD used in the new Vita, however, has an ugly color temperature issue and seems like a cheap LCD in general. I mean, if they used an iPhone quality LCD panel I would take less issue (even though those black levels are still awful), but the one they did select just isn't good enough.

Did you buy one, Dark.

I agree with you, but I may buy a Japanese one--love those colors--just to add to the collection.
I was so close to buying one for my collection, actually. A local import shop had a few in stock and I spent some time playing around with it. It was a white and yellowish looking one and, man, it was beautiful. I love the way it looks and feels in person *BUT* the screen was such a huge turn-off that I've decided to hunt for a white Vita 1000 instead. I'll probably get one sooner or later, of course, as I do collect handhelds (have nearly every major handheld ever released and a few minor ones), but it's kind of pricey right now for something with a screen I won't want to use.

nakedeyes

Banned
Any one try the 2000 in the 1000 grips? I'm curious if they are somewhat compatible.

I can't vouch for the grips.. but I have now tried 2 different vita 1000 hard cases, and neither of them fit the 2000, the 2000 is actually just like 1 or 2 mm larger in circumference, which just barely prevents it from fitting..

I would be skeptical of any sort of snappy plastic thing from the 1000 working on the 2000.

For reference, here are the two hard cases that I know will NOT fit the 2000:
* The thrustmaster hard case:
thrustmaster-vita-vip-case.jpg

* And this amazon basics case:
41IOl60-iAL._SX300_.jpg

Peterthumpa

Nothing to do with GAF. I detest LCD displays. Straight up. It's not even about the motion (which light boost can help address), rather, the poor black levels. Without utilizing locally dimmed pixels in high density (super rare and never available in PC monitor or portable devices), you simply cannot achieve good black levels. I laugh at people shelling out thousands on a GPU for their PC only to pair it with an LCD monitor. Talk about a waste.

I still think that you should try a Super LCD3 display like the one found in the HTC One. Have a look at some benches here:
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one-review-912p3.php

It's not state-of-the-art display technology, bur very, very far from detestable.

Interestingly, the Kuro Elite plasma I use produces blacks even darker than the Vita OLED display (just a tad darker) and without blotchiness. I have a couple of LCDs on my desktop for work but I never use them for gaming (27" 1440p IPS + 23" 1080p TN). The 27" is great for work but that's it.

I can't say you're wrong, but aren't we talking portable devices here? Plasma is not by any stretch of the imagination a suitable display technology for a portable device - they consume too much power, they have the lowest potential DPI of any flat panel display technology, and they generate too much heat during use.

Well, the OLED in Vita isn't the best. It's good enough and better than any LCD but low persistence OLEDs are where it's at.

However, I don't think color accuracy really comes into play here as the games for Vita are DESIGNED with that screen in mind. If you're utilizing the Vita for alternative content it could be an issue but if you're just gaming with it there's no problem.

The LCD used in the new Vita, however, has an ugly color temperature issue and seems like a cheap LCD in general. I mean, if they used an iPhone quality LCD panel I would take less issue (even though those black levels are still awful), but the one they did select just isn't good enough.

I think it's actually a mixed bag as far as how many developers tuned their games to match the OLED screen. For one instance, the game I play the most (PSO2) certainly did almost nothing to compensate for the OLED's wild color balance; once I switched to the 2000 I was presented with colors nearly identical to what I see when I play on PC. And now that the 2000 is actually out, you can bet you will see many developers shifting to tuning their games for that screen instead of the OLED, if they were doing any tuning at all.

On the quality of the panel... well, you get what you pay for. An iPhone (and the HTC One) has a better screen because an iPhone costs twice as much. Same reason the OLED had so many issues when phones using OLED tech that came out at the same time had none of the same.

dark10x

On the quality of the panel... well, you get what you pay for. An iPhone has a better screen because an iPhone costs twice as much. Same reason the OLED had so many issues when phones using OLED tech that came out at the same time had none of the same.
My point about the iPhone screen is that it's actually still a huge step down from the Vita 1000 for games in my book.

Now that I think about it, has anyone managed to transfer the Vita 1000 screen into the 2000? I would love to use the new shell with the original screen.

Imagine if the 2000 had continued to use an OLED with the improvements those displays have seen since the original Vita. Could have been something special.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I think it's actually a mixed bag as far as how many developers tuned their games to match the OLED screen. For one instance, the game I play the most (PSO2) certainly did almost nothing to compensate for the OLED's wild color balance; once I switched to the 2000 I was presented with colors nearly identical to what I see when I play on PC. And now that the 2000 is actually out, you can bet you will see many developers shifting to tuning their games for that screen instead of the OLED, if they were doing any tuning at all.

Agreed here. These games are developed on PC attached to monitors that themselves aren't really calibrated to any standard.

Having used both extensively. I prefer the LCD panel on the 2000 for everything except the blacks. My main nitpick is gone, which is the color shift when rotating the OLED screen away or towards you which is a huge flaw for any portable screen imo.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Analogs feel exactly the same.

I'll list the buttons in order of how much they've improved:

Rear touch: Smaller, much less accidental presses, makes the Vita a LOT more comfortable to hold.

PS Button: Bigger, no longer recessed, and doesn't flash a big ass blue LED in your face 24/7

Start/Select: Bigger, not recessed, round instead of oval

Triggers: Rounder, a little less spongy, a little less wobbly

D-pad: Feels a little better, hard to describe why.

Face buttons and analogs feel pretty much exactly the same.
Thanks.
I was hoping the analogs were a tiny bit tighter. But in the face of all those other improvements, I guess it's not such a big deal.

AmyS

Shit, I've spent a lot on PS4 and more recently on PS3 over the last 4+ months that it's gonna be a pain to come up with $200 for a new OLED -1000 model VITA and I know prices are gonna go up on those now if they haven't already.

Shit, I've spent a lot on PS4 and more recently on PS3 over the last 4+ months that it's gonna be a pain to come up with $200 for a new OLED -1000 model VITA and I know prices are gonna go up on those now if they haven't already.

I'm selling one

check the buy/sell thread :)

ZeroX03

Banned
Mine arrived this morning. Fell in love with it instantly. It feels super light and slim compared to the 1000, not to mention all the buttons feel a whole lot better. Screen is still fantastic btw.

CLEEK

No YMMV about it. It's a physical impossibility for OLED to have worse ghosting than LCD. LED technology in general is one of the fastest in terms of lighting response; LEDs increasingly being used in vehicle brake lights is not just for looks, they light up and dim out faster than any other technology that is practical to use there. OLEDs benefit greatly from that property.

The response rate for LED LCD displays is limited by the speed the liquid crystals move position. The speed of the light source - whether LED or CCFL or anything else - is not the cause of ghosting.

LED-backlit LCDs have many advantages over CCFL-backlit ones, but response rate isn't one of them as the light source isn't the cause of it in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD_display

Mine arrived this morning. Fell in love with it instantly. It feels super light and slim compared to the 1000, not to mention all the buttons feel a whole lot better. Screen is still fantastic btw.

Awesome

Ordered mine this past Friday and still waiting for Nippon to ship it :(

Drago

I'm really thinking about importing an all white Slim when I have enough money to do so (probably in a month or less). Everything about it just seems so much nicer and far more comfortable. The current Vita is pretty comfortable as is but it can certainly be more ergonomic, and I'm a huge fan of the reduced rear touchpad on the slim for more grip room. I even prefer the look of the slim to the original, at least from the sides and the back. Only downside would of course be LCD but I highly doubt I will have that much of a problem adjusting and I don't even think it looks that bad to begin with. I am not that picky at all with screens, I even think the 3DS XL screen looks alright, hah. I may even end up keeping my old OLED model as well, perhaps for homebrew or for different PSN accounts. Only real problem would be the switched purposes of the X and O buttons; does that affect software or only OS functions?

What's the best place to import? I checked out superufo.com and their prices seem really good but if there's a better place I'd like to hear of it. Also, how would I go about moving data from one Vita to another? Thanks.

(Sorry if this isn't really the right thread for this, but there's no other active Slim thread afaik and others here are importing)

Top Bottom