• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 (slim) coming to NA this Spring bundled w/ Borderlands 2 - $199

Gonna be honest, that looks like a kick ass deal. I wish it was bundled with another game though.

Other than Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden, what other great exclusives does the system have?

Tearaway, killzone mercenaries, wipeout, little big planet are all awesome.

Keep in mind if you go OLED Vita hunting-- the display is bit of a crapshoot. I feel like I've seen more bad ones than good ones, but don't take that as fact. However, if you find a good one, grab it.

oled looks great but burns in and has a natural color defect when view in the dark during a dark scene. it also eats up more battery. the slim is said to last at least 1 hour longer, ign said 2 and the top buttons are better. I hope this helps.

Tygamr

Probably buying this and either selling, or giving away my old Vita to a friend.

Will need to get a 64GB card though. My 32GB is almost full, and this comes with s voucher...

I rather get the 1000 and pay for a shitty-priced memory card than wait to get an inferior revision for $200 + a 2012 game.

Lol

its only inferior in screen quality but the battery last at least 1, maybe 2 hours longer. that is by far more important on a handheld.

alatif113

I reaaaaaaally want one and most likely will when the slim comes to the US. The only thing im not looking forward to is that horrid bubble UI. I hope sony gets on to unifying their UI's and gives the vita the PS4's xmb it so badly deserves (i can only hope).

phierce

^ yeah, I have 2 level 50s, but never touched any of the DLC.

I have tons of PS+ Vita games ready to go, but going back to Pandora may be fun...?

I was actually planning to buy a Vita this week, but unless there's a price drop on the 1000, I'll hold off and day 1 this!

coldone

I really hope they will get Vita-3000 quickly without the memory card non-sense.

Sony, please move to standard SD cards and support large 256GB cards.

Maximus.

8gb card and Borderlands 2? Depending how BL2 plays, this seems like a pretty good deal, esp if you have a PS+ membership.

hiro_x

I have a Vita since launch and I love it, but I wish I have a time machine and go back in time and tell myself to hold off buying one with all these nice bundles

Eight pages and no one has cropped out the Borderlands screen from the first page?!

Well, here it is at full size. This might be the first official screen of the game:

bR7VWCE.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm super eager to see how Borderlands 2 looks on Vita. It'll be the first full scale UE3 title on the system (Mk and DCvsMK used it as well but in a very different way).

Shadownet

Banned
I'm debating whether to go out and buy a pre-owned vita 1000 now or just wait and get the new vita slim for $200 ahhh. Someone help.

The only thing that is not pushing me toward the vita slim is I don't know how much worst the screen on the new one is. I've seen the old one and they look pretty nice.

BigDug13

There must be ways to convert the PC save to PS3 (it was so easy to do so with BL1), and then to Vita via cross-save.

Borderlands 2 save editor works to convert a save from one platform to another. Pretty sure you can go PC to PS3 with it.

look horrible imo, hope it's not really a screenshot

Not sure what you're expecting. It's fairly open world and is a current console game running Unreal 3. The graphics are going to be WAY toned down in order to make sure the framerate isn't garbage. And the framerate may still be garbage.

The PSP's successor playing full PS3 caliber games isn't something I expected when Vita was first shown. Expecting the graphics of this release to be anywhere near the console version is setting yourself up for disappointment. It seems like an ambitious release from a game scale standpoint for Vita.

Eight pages and no one has cropped out the Borderlands screen from the first page?!

Well, here it is at full size. This might be the first official screen of the game:

bR7VWCE.jpg

Looks like Borderlands 1 if it ran on my laptop, which aint that bad, personally. Im ok if the resolution is lower and the textures downgraded, just as long as the FPS is just as good as the console/PC versions. Or at least, smooth 30FPS.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks like Borderlands 1 if it ran on my laptop, which aint that bad, personally. Im ok if the resolution is lower and the textures downgraded, just as long as the FPS is just as good as the console/PC versions. Or at least, smooth 30FPS.
I would like to see that, but man, the game isn't exactly stable on consoles as it is.

It's really going to be an interesting test. Killzone Mercenary was an amazing looking shooter but it was specially tooled for the PS Vita from the ground up by a very capable internal studio. There's no way that much love and care will be put into Borderlands 2 and, even still, the engine simply doesn't seem well suited to the platform.

RalchAC

I'm debating whether to go out and buy a pre-owned vita 1000 now or just wait and get the new vita slim for $200 ahhh. Someone help.

The only thing that is not pushing me toward the vita slim is I don't know how much worst the screen on the new one is. I've seen the old one and they look pretty nice.

Buy a pre owned PSVita and a pre owned Vita memory card. It won't cost you that much. You can look on Craiglist or other sites like this.

16GB is (imo) the best balance between price and storage. You could look for a 32gb one though.

Buy a pre owned PSVita and a pre owned Vita memory card. It won't cost you that much. You can look on Craiglist or other sites like this.

16GB is (imo) the best balance between price and storage. You could look for a 32gb one though.

Having jumped in through a preowned system I'd definitely look into it. For £94 I got the system, 16gb & 4gb cards, Fifa Football, and MGS HD collection. After flipping the small card and MGS (less fees), I'll be looking at ~£80 for everything else.

Considering I paid £90 for a naked PSP 3000 less than three years ago, I'd call that a decent turn around!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm super eager to see how Borderlands 2 looks on Vita. It'll be the first full scale UE3 title on the system (Mk and DCvsMK used it as well but in a very different way).

?? Injustice you mean. there is also Dr Who (2.5D)

but yeah this is the first true 3D/open levels UE3 on Vita, well finally see how the engine run on the system.

RalchAC

Having jumped in through a preowned system I'd definitely look into it. For £94 I got the system, 16gb & 4gb cards, Fifa Football, and MGS HD collection. After flipping the small card and MGS (less fees), I'll be looking at ~£80 for everything else.

Considering I paid £90 for a naked PSP 3000 less than three years ago, I'd call that a decent turn around!

I bought before the GamesCom pricedrop my Vita for 150€ + 16GB for 30€. But I sold my old PSP (which sometimes didn't turn on lol) and CoD:BO2 so it costed me 120€.

And those were the best 120€ I spent in 2013.

maouvin

Borderlands 2 save editor works to convert a save from one platform to another. Pretty sure you can go PC to PS3 with it.

Gibbed, you say? Or are there more editors out there?
But good to know, will try that. I'd be bored to start with Gaige again, and even more bored not playing her.

If you look at them side by side: The colors pop less and the blacks aren't as deep on the LCD screen. However, in motion, there is less bleeding from frame to frame that occasionally is an issue with the OLED in my opinion.

Its a trade off, and obviously the cheaper screen, however its still remarkably great looking. Most people who bash it on this site haven't seen it in person I think.

The bold is truthfact.

I bought before the GamesCom pricedrop my Vita for 150€ + 16GB for 30€. But I sold my old PSP (which sometimes didn't turn on lol) and CoD:BO2 so it costed me 120€.

And those were the best 120€ I spent in 2013.

As it happens I sold off my PSP too a few months ago for £50, half of which I've put towards my Vita. Can't wait for it to turn up now!

Coconut

Banned

Uh... The console versions framerate was miserable.

Prelude.

A question for the 2000 owners: how does the new rear touchpad work in a game like Tearaway for example? Is it still mapped 1:1 with the front screen, so your finger is exactly where it touches in the back leaving the edges out or the input is still like a normal sized screen but just shrinked? I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask, it's a bit convoluted, lol.

BigDug13

Gibbed, you say? Or are there more editors out there?
But good to know, will try that. I'd be bored to start with Gaige again, and even more bored not playing her.

Yeah Gibbed. When you open one type of save file, there's an option to resave it as a file for another platform.

A question for the 2000 owners: how does the new rear touchpad work in a game like Tearaway for example? Is it still mapped 1:1 with the front screen, so your finger is exactly where it touches in the back leaving the edges out or the input is still like a normal sized screen but just shrinked? I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask, it's a bit convoluted, lol.
I'm sure the input would be the same but smaller - I doubt they'll patch the game to detect which Vita you have to keep it closer to 1:1, but I guess it's possible. The original rear pad isn't quite 1:1 either, but the illusion is effective. I doubt it will pose a major problem just being smaller - the game doesn't require you to be super-precise about rear touch input - but it might not feel quite as cool when you see your finger in the world and it doesn't feel exactly in the right place. It's hard to feel whether you're in the right place anyway, so I think the illusion will remain fairly strong.

FloatOn

I may get on this seeing as how I'm a relatively new PS3 owner. I've been very impressed with ps+ and the playstation experience in general. This bundle is attractive but the game is not, I'd probably trade it for towards the purchase of Tearaway.

Having BL2 only coming with a digital download code and not the physical copy is a deal breaker for me. Yes, I know this is common practice now to no longer bundle the physical copy, and I never bought any of those other digital download bundles either.

Looks like I'll be waiting until the 2000 comes with a non-bundled version and buying the physical copy of BL2 separately.

And oh, only coming in black is a huge fail. Why does Sony do this to NA customers?

I have an OLED Vita, am I crazy for sort of wanting this new, lighter Vita?

Not at all. The 2000 has a few other improvements like improved shoulder buttons, redesigned rear touchpad, 1gb internal storage, micro-usb charging, and the obvious improved form factor.

The OLED > LCD downgrade is really the only negative.

Takao

Banned
The PSP's successor playing full PS3 caliber games isn't something I expected when Vita was first shown. Expecting the graphics of this release to be anywhere near the console version is setting yourself up for disappointment. It seems like an ambitious release from a game scale standpoint for Vita.

That may not have been what you were expecting, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3zccA-Zvd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRcmRNGjU1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyIjBbRAtZs

That's kind of what Sony and third parties expected.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have an OLED Vita, am I crazy for sort of wanting this new, lighter Vita?

Not at all. The 2000 has a few other improvements like improved shoulder buttons, redesigned rear touchpad, 1gb internal storage, micro-usb charging, and the obvious improved form factor.

It should be noted that the 1GB of storage cannot be used in combination with a memory card. I.E., it's pretty much useless.

The OLED > LCD downgrade is really the only negative.

That's a pretty big negative, LOL.

But I still would like to get a 2000, mainly for the improved battery life and form factor. Would then use my 1000 for my Japanese account -fuck you Sony for not allowing for multiple accounts on one Vita- and be able to access JPSN digital games and DLC without having to account switch.

That bundle is sick, I'm hoping the can pull a miracle out of their ass and make the Vita version of Borderlands 2 a legitimately good port. I'm definitely interested. The fact that I can move my save over is icing on the cake.

Top Bottom