• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS3] Disgaea 4 Trailer | 2/24/2011 (JP) Summer 2011 (NA) [Update:Girl Punishing 193]

graywolf323

Shuusui said:
.... those are HD sprites?

If so, maybe they shouldn't zoom in so much. Some of those shots looked very pixelated. Still, a big improvement over D3.

eh? *raised brow*

5ai3pk.jpg

you do realize that's D3 on the left and D4 on the right...

Quixzlizx

Some actual new designs would've been nice, but the upgraded sprites are a definite (and needed) step up. I hope the multi-player mode is fun.

mollipen

graywolf323 said:
eh? *raised brow*

5ai3pk.jpg

you do realize that's D3 on the left and D4 on the right...

I dunno, I'm still not impressed by the new sprites (in-game wise, not artistic quality wise). Are they way better than D3? Sure. But why are they still low enough resolution that they have to blow them up to the point that they're blurry?

They obviously aren't hand-drawn pixel art, so I don't understand why they wouldn't have put higher resolution versions of the art into the game. Unless something is going on with either the screenshots or the way the game renders, because other things (the the menus and battle text) also look pretty bad.

Kronotech

I'll definitely be day one-ing this but I'm a little bummed that the lead character in all Disgaea games has the same look about them. I did skip D2, however, so I can't completely compare.

Anyway, hooray for the updated graphics! Looks great!

Volcynika

I wonder if the US release will end up being the same timeframe that the previous mainline original games were released here:

Disgaea 1: August 27, 2003 (I know, published by Atlus)
Disgaea 2: August 29, 2006
Disgaea 3: August 26, 2008

XTERC

In a world where dreams come true I'd love a PSP/PS3 version where I could take my save game on the go when I'm out of town.

zoukka

shidoshi said:
They obviously aren't hand-drawn pixel art, so I don't understand why they wouldn't have put higher resolution versions of the art into the game. Unless something is going on with either the screenshots or the way the game renders, because other things (the the menus and battle text) also look pretty bad.

What made you reach this conclusion??

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Disgaea 4 System Detailed

The announcement was lead by Disgaea 4 producer and Nippon Ichi CEO Sohei Shinkawa, who sported Prinny boots and hat as he said "Disgaea is a game that shifts the fate of our company."

Shinkawa mentioned three sales points for the game, all of which were hinted at in some capacity in the trailer.

First, the game uses Takehito Harada's illustrations in their original form, rather than converting them first into sprites. He said to expect smoother animation as a result. Fans of Nippon Ichi's sprite work will also be pleased to know that the game also includes sprite versions of the art, and you'll be able to switch to them if you please.

The next sales point is "yarikomi" elements. "Yarikomi" is the Japanese word that encompasses all the extra crap that extends gameplay time -- things like collecting items, aiming for the high score, and building up your characters. Disgaea is known for such elements. For part 4, Nippon Ichi is implementing a system where players will be able to show off to other players just how much "yarikomi" they've gotten out of the game. When connected online, you'll be able to attack other players. They'll also be able to attack you.

So what happens if a player who's raised his characters to top levels attacks a beginner player? Shinkawa cited two possibilities for dealing with this. First, they're considering allowing players to set it up so players at certain levels will be able to attack in this way. Additionally, it's possible for players to come into your Disgaea world not just to attack, but to assist as well.

The final element was one of the big focuses of the trailer: a political theme. This replaces the school theme of part 3. You'll be able to manage internal factions in a government.

Possible multiplayer co-op. :D

El Sloth

Banned
Would be hilarious if they allowed for random attacks, fore example level 9999 dudes attack level 50 dudes who aren't on his friends list. The trolls would be awesome.

mollipen

zoukka said:
What made you reach this conclusion??

Well, okay, I don't know that for certain, but the amount of detail shown and the way the actual art for the sprites looks, it would make far more logical sense to me for them to be vector art versus pixel art.

And, if NIS had any brains, they'd go vector versus pixel, because (a) it would be less time consuming, and (b) they'd then have the ability to have their new sprites look good at any needed resolution.

Edit: The post above seems to confirm this, at least to some degree. So, unless what is shown in these screens are the pixel-based sprites that are option, I still wonder why they look so low-res.

zoukka

shidoshi said:
Well, okay, I don't know that for certain, but the amount of detail shown and the way the actual art for the sprites looks, it would make far more logical sense to me for them to be vector art versus pixel art.

And, if NIS had any brains, they'd go vector versus pixel, because (a) it would be less time consuming, and (b) they'd then have the ability to have their new sprites look good at any needed resolution.

Photoshop has similar tools as layout programs these days. I would love to see high quality vector sprites. Don't know any games that have them.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Can't wait to get my hands on this one. It would be awesome if all the dlc characters from d3 were usable in d4 (highly unlikely though :lol )

celcius said:
Can't wait to get my hands on this one. It would be awesome if all the dlc characters from d3 were usable in d4 (highly unlikely though :lol )

Not when they can repackage them and sell them again.

Day 1 regardless though.

This looks like an amazing improvement, I think I will skip number 3 for this day one :D. Looks very nice! Unfortunately the place for the trailers isn't running smoothly.

Khrno

Fantastic! This is what they should have done for D3 tho.

I wonder if they went the extra mile with the cutscenes and made the conversation portraits to be animated this time (like Trinity Universe and White Album), that would really make it for me.

Hi-res sprites and animated portraits should be today's standard for these type of RPGs, SRPGs and ADVs.

Btw, what's the name of the pink-haired girl? And do we know the Voice Actors for all the main characters?

Stick to what you do best like this, NI, and you'll do well.

For part 4, Nippon Ichi is implementing a system where players will be able to show off to other players just how much "yarikomi" they've gotten out of the game. When connected online, you'll be able to attack other players. They'll also be able to attack you.

PvP Pirate ships! Hell yeah!

This seems closer to D2 than any other, or itself (especially the generic class art, which is completely lifted). I wonder why?

I really hope they fix up the damage scaling in this one then.

Having everything be crazy one hit kos is fine in single player, but in multiplayer it'd probably be better if you could use your defense and HP for something.

PataHikari said:
I really hope they fix up the damage scaling in this one then.

Having everything be crazy one hit kos is fine in single player, but in multiplayer it'd probably be better if you could use your defense and HP for something.

If the multiplayer is anything but 'whoever has the hugest numbers wins', I'll eat my shoes.

grumble

This looks like a nice visual bump (though the effects could have used a bump as well). I'm also interested to see if they refreshed the gameplay...

Crazetex

I might buy this, then play it on a friend's PS3. I own the original Disgaea and liked it a lot, but I feel like with how the gameplay got smoother through each edition I'd really enjoy this one. The graphics are simply a nice bonus.

So is this like the first graphical overhaul for the series?

Regardless it looks very nice, although I still wish they would've done simple 3D characters with detailed HD textures.

Dali

highluxury said:
So is this like the first graphical overhaul for the series?

Regardless it looks very nice, although I still wish they would've done simple 3D characters with detailed HD textures.
*smack*

Top Bottom