• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

KAL2006

Banned
damn the psx scene forums keep giving errors, ps3news forums are not available and PSjailbreak website barely works, I guess all the hackers catched on and are keen to know more

DieH@rd

Banned
mingster @ eurogamer DF comments

Here's some more info...

It seems the software uses bd_emu features to manage the backups. The HDD to use, should have a modified bd emu format, which sets all backups on first position, so the PS3 detects 'em all. Then you can choose the image to boot via the manager.

To directly copy and boot a game, the software would need to decrypt all layers on the fly. Meaning it decrypts all executables somehow, else it won't run. Even on a debug unit.

The hardware look like a copy of the original PS3 jigstick, used in SONY service centers to repair broken PlayStation3 SKU's. Someone internal leaked or sold a stick, so they had the chance to reverse and clone the hardware.

The stick should boot before the normal firmware does, so it's hard to patch it. Maybe SONY could update the bootcode to prevent it, set it to a revoke list.

By the way, in all videos they use debug PS3's to run the software. There is no video showing the actual process booting on a retail PS3 afaik.

N.A

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
Aside from the site selling these things has there been any 3rd party confirmation of homebrew? Right now it looks like it basically just turns retail units into dev units, and then allows the "dev" unit to run an actual ROM/image as opposed to burnt medium.

The game launcher thing must be homebrew code unless sony distributes an ISO loader with the SDK. The PS3 SDK is widely leaked already and if this 'debug mode' allows anything compiled with it to run (which seems to be the case) then we'll have full homebrew.

Distribution could be a problem though, like the original Xbox I expect anything compiled with an official SDK to be illegal to distribute.

psjailbreak's so called "Backup Manager" (which is pretty much the only thing available to download on their website) is a debug package including a regular fself compiled with the (massively privately leaked) 1.92 sdk, The package itself is generated with Sony's official sdk tool (make_package_npdrm revision 1203 probably from that very same sdk) that makes it illegal to share because I am quite sure psjailbreak staff doesn't have the appropriate license to be using the official Playstation 3 SDK and its tools. The binary itself seems to use the usual sce apis when it comes to the gui or copying files over. It does run on a debug console and displays a "nicely" done GUI that lets you "backup" your game to the external or usb hdd and "run" them later on. Needless to say the backups wont "run" as their "backup manager" is just a regular fself running with game privileges and doesn't make use of any exploits that I can think of. Needless to say that if their so called usb dongle is real (which I doubt) it does extensive use of leaked sony's software and keys/certificates.

If this true any place that sell this thing is going get there asses sue by sony.
I also won't call it a hack but we need more info about it .

KAL2006

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Yeah that's how I see it, and posts talking the possibilities of using the hardware for custom stuff because of this is a bit off given the info we have of what this thing is doing. It's just allowing the guy to load games from his HDD it seem.

I doubt it I think it will evolve to much more, similar to JTAG 360's (e.g emulators, mkv support, ps store games and dlc piratable, homebrew, custom firmware and etc). It will start of as a simple devkit PS3 for only ISO, but I can bet it will be further hacked for much more stuff.

N.A said:
It allows running homebrew code. How is this not a benefit for the homebrew scene? I expect emulators for everything up to the Dreamcast to be released. Not to mention media players, Linux with full hardware support and some cool homebrew games.

I don't really see the homebrew code if this backup interface is indeed just the backup software of the debug PS3s.

even IF the codes of the dongle allow to run any software on the PS3, w/o actually cracking the PS3 this seems kinda worthless as these codes/firmware will obviously updated quickly and w/o a leak you can't get new ones and it doesn't allow you do chance the firmware etc?

edit:
The stick should boot before the normal firmware does, so it's hard to patch it. Maybe SONY could update the bootcode to prevent it, set it to a revoke list.
mhh so it may not that easy to block it after all?

Dabanton

Works for me but it now says

Due to the fact that PSjailbreak works!

We now have over 40,000 members posting, and viewing threads at ONCE!

With over 100,000 users browsing the forums.

I am in 911 mode, and moving the site to a new 12-core server,
with 16gigs of RAM, and 1terabyte of monthly bandwidth.

This hopefully we be enough.

In the meantime, just keep checking, the 403 and 500 errors will go away soon!

Sorry for the site problems, but that what happens when you have a real PS3 breakthough that works, not some stupid "fake" thing like Geohot, etc.
:lol

Yoboman

SolidusDave said:
I don't really see the homebrew code if this backup interface is indeed just the backup software of the debug PS3s.

even IF the codes of the dongle allow to run any software on the PS3, w/o actually cracking the PS3 this seems kinda worthless as these codes/firmware will obviously updated quickly and w/o a leak you can't get new ones and it doesn't allow you do chance the firmware etc?
It only takes one crack for these sorts of things to burst wide open

gundamkyoukai said:
psjailbreak's so called "Backup Manager" (which is pretty much the only thing available to download on their website) is a debug package including a regular fself compiled with the (massively privately leaked) 1.92 sdk, The package itself is generated with Sony's official sdk tool (make_package_npdrm revision 1203 probably from that very same sdk) that makes it illegal to share because I am quite sure psjailbreak staff doesn't have the appropriate license to be using the official Playstation 3 SDK and its tools. The binary itself seems to use the usual sce apis when it comes to the gui or copying files over. It does run on a debug console and displays a "nicely" done GUI that lets you "backup" your game to the external or usb hdd and "run" them later on. Needless to say the backups wont "run" as their "backup manager" is just a regular fself running with game privileges and doesn't make use of any exploits that I can think of. Needless to say that if their so called usb dongle is real (which I doubt) it does extensive use of leaked sony's software and keys/certificates.

If this true any place that sell this thing is going get there asses sue by sony.
I also won't call it a hack but we need more info about it .
Oh man the threat of litigation has totally stopped hackers every time in the past!

Yoboman said:
It only takes one crack for these sorts of things to burst wide open

Well there have been several "cracks" over the year, so it's impossible to say how big something is at the moment it's happening.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh man the threat of litigation has totally stopped hackers every time in the past!

Not about stopping the hackers if file leaks on the net there's nothing you can do .
What i am wondering about is places like ozmodchip selling the ubs stick whats going to happen to them .
Stopping hackers online can't be done, a store selling sony sdks is whole other ball game.

KAL2006

Banned
People saying this is illegal and sony can crack it down

I DONT THINK SO

once the floodgates are open it is too late, I can still buy an R4, I thought those were illegal

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Segata Sanshiro said:

There is a fairly important distinction. For example, with geohot's proposed stuff, the suggestion was it would be using all his own patches. Not distributing anything proprietary to Sony. Making it much easier to distribute without Sony being able to stop it. It would only become illegal later depending on how people used it...that's always been a nice 'out' for hackers and emulation etc.

But if this stuff is distributing things, selling things, that contains stuff owned by Sony, the mere dongle itself is piracy, whatever people end up doing with it. It makes it harder to legitimize, and makes it easier for Sony to stem distribution.

gundamkyoukai said:
Not about stopping the hackers if file leaks on the net there's nothing you can do .
What i am wondering about is places like ozmodchip selling the ubs stick whats going to happen to them .
Stopping hackers online can't be done, a store selling sony sdks is whole other ball game.
Oh, they might be able to stop ozmodchip, but good luck on stopping sales from places like Hong Kong.

Vagabundo

The plot thickens...

We Want Homebrew
We Want Homebrew
HOMEBREW
JOJO ^H^H err HOMEBREW

EDIT:

Actually Sony could take the sting out of a lot of homebrew if they would allow a sandbox env to run in the background running python or something. All I want is a bittorrent client and a samba server running when games arn't.

gofreak said:
There is a fairly important distinction. For example, with geohot's proposed stuff, the suggestion was it would be using all his own patches. Not distributing anything proprietary to Sony. Making it much easier to distribute without Sony being able to stop it. It would only become illegal later depending on how people used it...that's always been a nice 'out' for hackers and emulation etc.

But if this stuff is distributing things, selling things, that contains stuff owned by Sony, the mere dongle itself is piracy, whatever people end up doing with it. It makes it harder to legitimize, and makes it easier for Sony to stem distribution.
I'm sure Sony will have just as much luck stemming distribution of this as America has had stemming distribution of cannabis.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
DieH@rd said:
Its back up for the moment.
Sorry! -- please stand-by! -- 911!

Due to the fact that PSjailbreak works!

We now have over 40,000 members posting, and viewing threads at ONCE!

With over 100,000 users browsing the forums.

I am in 911 mode, and moving the site to a new 12-core server,
with 16gigs of RAM, and 1terabyte of monthly bandwidth.

This hopefully we be enough.

In the meantime, just keep checking, the 403 and 500 errors will go away soon!

Sorry for the site problems, but that what happens when you have a real PS3 breakthough that works, not some stupid "fake" thing like Geohot, etc.

Paracelsus

KAL2006 said:
People saying this is illegal and sony can crack it down

I DONT THINK SO

once the floodgates are open it is too late, I can still buy an R4, I thought those were illegal

Do you have an account tied to your DS? Can Nintendo stop you from booting your games if you pirate your DS?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm sure Sony will have just as much luck stemming distribution of this as America has had stemming distribution of cannabis.

I'm not saying they can stop it, fullstop. But they have a legal footing to challenge distributors in jurisdictions with reasonable copyright laws, whereas with 'purer' hacks they don't, and could only challenge the piracy of games themselves rather than (also) the hacks that enable playback of them.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
-PXG- said:
PS3 backups: Check
PS2 backwards compatibility via homebrew: Next...

That would be insane.
They could also just enable the PS2 Emulator on the firmware. That'd be sweet to see how far they got with it.

Hesemonni

Banned
SolidusDave said:
- to have an HD loader for your legally bought games but you still need to stand up for every game just like when switching discs.
'cept that it doesn't matter which retail disc you have in as long as you have one inside. In the video he puts in God of War 3 and boots InFamous. Then again, as people have pointed out, I'd love to see some gameplay with this.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
InfiniteNine said:
They could also just enable the PS2 Emulator on the firmware. That'd be sweet to see how far they got with it.
I would find it funny if there really was some halfassed emulator in the firmware you could just turn on :lol

KAL2006

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Do you have an account tied to your DS? Can Nintendo stop you from booting your games if you pirate your DS?

Of course it is obvious Sony can band peoples online accounts, that doesnt stop people from playing offline. Also games that require you to update to new firmware can easily bypass this, just look at the Wii. Like I have said before, this will end up like the JTAG 360 (free PSN games, dlc, ps3 isos, emulators, homebrew, media player features and etc, but no online play).

Hesemonni said:
'cept that it doesn't matter which retail disc you have in as long as you have one inside. In the video he puts in God of War 3 and boots InFamous. Then again, as people have pointed out, I'd love to see some gameplay with this.

I was not talking about having to input a disc but holding the PS3 buttons or whatever he is doing each boot.

ymmv

Banned
A combination of suing every PSjailbreak distributor, new firmware updates that block the exploit, banning online pirates and future games not working on old compromised systems could stop most of the piracy. But since this exploit is out in there will be thousands of people pirating games. It's up to Sony to nip this exploit in the bud so there won't be hundreds of thousands or even millions of people pirating PS3 games.

gofreak said:
I'm not saying they can stop it, fullstop. But they have a legal footing to challenge distributors in jurisdictions with reasonable copyright laws, whereas with 'purer' hacks they don't, and could only challenge the piracy of games themselves rather than (also) the hacks that enable playback of them.
I don't think it's going to make a meaningful difference in the outcome at all.

DieH@rd said:
If sony is smart all of the new christmas hit games will require new & secure firmware installed.

Sony's already shown that they're willing to do a lot to prevent piracy. At a minimum I expect every future Sony first party title to require a code verification to play online.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DieH@rd said:
If sony is smart all of the new christmas hit games will require new & secure firmware installed.
I'm sure they will have something in place. Especially in time for GT5.

KAL2006

Banned
ymmv said:
A combination of suing every PSjailbreak distributor, new firmware updates that block the exploit, banning online pirates and future games not working on old compromised systems could stop most of the piracy. But since this exploit is out in there will be thousands of people pirating games. It's up to Sony to nip this exploit in the bud so there won't be hundreds of thousands or even millions of people pirating PS3 games.

-sueing every distributor will be impossible
-new firmware updates may be bypassed with hacks such as custom firmware, removing firmware update from game
-banning people (if they can do it like 360) will disable online gamers, but games will still be free for offline play

SolidSnakex said:
Sony's already shown that they're willing to do a lot to prevent piracy. At a minimum I expect every future Sony first party title to require a code verification to play online.

Online key for GT 5 coming up.

jorma

is now taking requests
Or they could just make the USB ports go the way of OtherOS. ;)

I seem to remember that a lot of people were fine with Sony removing advertised features if it helped combat piracy...

KAL2006

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

they will never do this, code verification will never happen, there are far too many people who dont even have their PS3s online.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
KAL2006 said:
-sueing every distributor will be impossible
-new firmware updates may be bypassed with hacks such as custom firmware, removing firmware update from game
-banning people (if they can do it like 360) will disable online gamers, but games will still be free for offline play
Yea but online gaming is the thing now. It will be nice but we all have friends and probably some investment into PSN. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Erasus

DieH@rd said:
mingster @ eurogamer DF comments

Interesting. So debug PS3 have always been able to backup full games to the HDD? Then why not release the feature so it will be the same as 360. Loading times would be improved and it makes more sense on the PS3 than the 360.

Also how the hell do they decrypt the executables? Maybe that is why the backup process takes so long, its not simply copy->paste but it has to decrypt the EBOOTS and whatnot.

And look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDaGne0u-4#t=17s Turnns it on, HDD lights up before the usb stick. -> usb stick lights up, tells the PS3 to boot in debug mode (how that fucking works is a mystery) and the the regular firmware loads. Is that how it could work?

And how have they made the backup program? Just code it and the use the leaked SDK to make it run??

KAL2006 said:
they will never do this, code verification will never happen, there are far too many people who dont even have their PS3s online.

I didn't say a code verification to play the game, i'm talking about a code that unlocks the online mode. And companies are already doing this.

Will Sony really resort to ultra-draconian methods to keep their games from being pirated? Persistent PSN connections, CD-Keys and stuff required simultaneously? Saved games only on PSN and not in the console? I think if Sony goes too hard to try to lock things down, it's going to backfire on them.

Mind you, I am all for copy protections and stuff like that, but deliberately making it hard to simply use the game you paid for...I don't cosign that.

Top Bottom