• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't think it's going to make a meaningful difference in the outcome at all.

It mightn't in the sense that it might not stop plenty of people using this, getting their hands on one. Certainly Sony won't rely on legal avenues to stop this, indeed I'm sure it won't be their primary response.

But it probably helps them a little in that people can't legally distribute it as easily as - say - psp custom firmware. With that stuff, you can throw it up on a site and stick your tongue out at Sony.

buffi

Banned
criesofthepast said:
Ozmods may be reputable but so was geohot and he was full of shit with his ps3 claims.

This is pretty much the stupidest post in this thread. Geohot even published working instructions for how to utilize his hack (it required hardware modifications though). It's not a coincidence that sony dropped linux support right after that.

KAL2006

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Yea but online gaming is the thing now. It will be nice but we all have friends and probably some investment into PSN. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

I have many mates who own 2 360's, 1 for singleplayer pirated games like mass effect, oblivion and etc, and another 360 for legit multiplayer games. So people could do the same with PS3. And there are a lot of people who may be willing to give up multiplayer for free games, heck I know plenty of people who just play offline games (including multiplayer games like FIFA and COD)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Couldn't you just copy whatever is on that USB stick and make it available online? If yeah, I really don't see any place making money/getting sued to hell with it.

Erasus said:
Then why not release the feature so it will be the same as 360. Loading times would be improved and it makes more sense on the PS3 than the 360.
Because the PS3 doesn't sound like the 360 when playing from disc. Thats prolly the reason why MS decided to go that way.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Yea but online gaming is the thing now. It will be nice but we all have friends and probably some investment into PSN. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
People will probably just do what they do with the 360: keep a hacked box offline, have another one for online.

KAL2006

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I didn't say a code verification to play the game, i'm talking about a code that unlocks the online mode. And companies are already doing this.

well that would be obsolete because people will be banned from playing online in the first place, you make no sense

-PXG-

alr1ghtstart said:
Couldn't you just copy whatever is on that USB stick and make it available online? If yeah, I really don't see any place making money/getting sued to hell with it.

This

Once it happens (because it will), that is when the flood gates will truly open.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
alr1ghtstart said:
Requires some special hardware as well. If they make a derivative without Sony code it should be fine, but so far that back-up manager is running with Sony APIs.

-PXG- said:
This

Once it happens (because it will), that is when the flood gates will truly open.
I already have it, and some hardware is required.

alr1ghtstart said:

As already mentioned, yes. But the code itself will only work on a debug unit.

Goldmund

KAL2006 said:
I have many mates who own 2 360's, 1 for singleplayer pirated games like mass effect, oblivion and etc, and another 360 for legit multiplayer games. So people could do the same with PS3. And there are a lot of people who may be willing to give up multiplayer for free games, heck I know plenty of people who just play offline games (including multiplayer games like FIFA and COD)
You could ask your friends to register at NeoGAF so we can ban them from using it in approximately 9 months.

alr1ghtstart said:

Well some people try to copy the file and it did not work so i guess we have to wait and see just what happens.

gcubed

i fully expect a firmware update next week being 3.42 and this is over. Unfortunately, when using Sony debug code through a dongle you open yourself to the easiest patch ever... you would just have to never go online with this. I'm pretty sure running something through a debug unit would raise a red flag on sony's servers

KAL2006 said:
well that would be obsolete because people will be banned from playing online in the first place, you make no sense

Those people have to be found first. Using a code prevents them from playing right off the bat.

DieH@rd

Banned
Code is already avaiable, but it works only on debug ps3 units.

USB Key is there to enable debug mode on standard ps3 units.

I just hope Sony won't do something drastic like removing write-access of the PS3 for external storage devices.

There exists no CFW and probably not even a crack leading to it so no one could battle anything Sony changes with the firmware.

btw amazing how many people apparently were waiting for pirated PS3 games. You would think after almost 4 years they settled with it.

Vagabundo

DieH@rd said:
Code is already avaiable, but it works only on debug ps3 units.

USB Key is there to enable debug mode on standard ps3 units.

So in theory some custom code could run instead? Like a bootable linux. Ubuntu...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Vagabundo said:
So in theory some custom code could run instead? Like a bootable linux. Ubuntu...
Yep.

And I am sure someone is going to try and see if that USB key can be reproduced. Expect to see them for $2 shipped on ebay in 6 months and sold by Datel with some odd name. I could see it being a physical device and not software based.

KAL2006

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Those people have to be found first. Using a code prevents them from playing right off the bat.

er wouldnt they just be kicked off PSN as soon as someone logs on to the XMB with their account, I dont get what your trying to say.

AND TO PEOPLE WHO KEEP SAYING THIS WORKS FOR DEBUG UNITS ONLY, YOU ARE WRONG IT WORKS ON ALL PS3s. Speculation is that the USBs may have unique components which help with the hack so you cannot simply copy to a normal USB (of course I think this is bullshit and think a free hack for normal USBs will happen in the coming weeks)

EDIT: also the website confirmed homebrew, so this is not just an iso loader

Sounds like all Sony has to do is disable PS3 debug features in the retail units or put this particular device on some sort of revocation list and release a new one internally.

SolidusDave said:
btw amazing how many people apparently were waiting for pirated PS3 games. You would think after almost 4 years they settled with it.
Wouldn't say that it's that only. Regionfree PS1/PS2/BD gaming/watching would be awesome aswell. Now if there would be a possibility to launch Dreamcast discs... <3

Anony

dont know if this applies to ps3, but for wii, loading games from usb prevents FW installs
if it's the same situation for ps3, they can just stop updating FW

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
KernelPanic said:
Sounds like all Sony has to do is disable PS3 debug features in the retail units or put this particular device on some sort of revocation list and release a new one internally.
The problem is that the Debug features are there for fixing the systems at repair centers, so you can't just up and get rid of them all.
Wouldn't say that it's that only. Regionfree PS1/PS2/BD gaming/watching would be awesome aswell. Now if there would be a possibility to launch Dreamcast discs... <3
Nearly Impossilbe, Dreamcast discs on on GD-Roms, and are the only damn device to use such a format.

KAL2006

Banned
KernelPanic said:

but what if turning PS3s into debug modes allows being able to execute a proper hack (e.g custom firmware), so when sony do remove the debug feature it is too late as another better hack has been done through the debug mode.

N.A

Banned
Drkirby said:
The problem is that the Debug features are there for fixing the systems at repair centers, so you can't just up and get rid of them all.

There has also been speculation that this device activates before the firmware even loads.

Brofist

SolidusDave said:
I just hope Sony won't do something drastic like removing write-access of the PS3 for external storage devices.

How would you back up your data then?

And they better be waiting check in hand with a full refund for my Torne if they do that as well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
RobertM said:
So basically the usb drive is acting as a fake game allowing you to run a backup utility, interesting. It's kind of like swap magic in USB form.

I loved HD loader, so something similar on PS3 would be a godsend. Even if its just to load my entire catalog to an external drive and have everyting on demand.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
N.A said:
There has also been speculation that this device activates before the firmware even loads.
Well, of course, how else would you fix a PS3 with corrupt Firmware? The Wii and PSP debugs load before the firmware also (Though the Wii needs a disc rather then a USB dongle or specal battery, though the I think the disc's ISO can be found online since Nintendo's Repair centers have been known to leave them in the system by mistake)

Ydahs

Hmm, OZmodchips is just 40 minutes away from my house. Only 20 from my university.

That's convenient.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

KAL2006 said:
but what if turning PS3s into debug modes allows being able to execute a proper hack (e.g custom firmware), so when sony do remove the debug feature it is too late as another better hack has been done through the debug mode.

It depends on what the sdk can do and how fast sony can do something about it .
Since there are using sony sdk files i sure sony knows what can happen already .

KAL2006

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
It depends on what the sdk can do and how fast sony can do something about it .
Since there are using sony sdk files i sure sony knows what can happen already .

well it doesnt matter how fast sony do something, people will just not go online with the debug feature until they get a proper hack using the debug feature

Drkirby said:
They eventually did with Pandora Batteries on the PSP (I think). If Sony has to choose between being able to repair older PS3 (new ones will have a different hardware solution) and letting the piracy go on I think that Sony will eventually choose replacing old broken PS3s.

We don't know anything about what Sony can do yet.

I certainly would like to play my import PS2 games on my launch PS3 thought (my modded launch PS2 have been on life support for years).

Tigletx

Banned
let's hope sony doesn't indeed do something stupid like not allowing you to put stuff on your PS3 through the USB ports.

I won't be able to just copy a virtual pro in FIFA 11 if so :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
deathkiller said:
They eventually did with Pandora Batteries on the PSP (I think). If Sony has to choose between being able to repair older PS3 (new ones will have a different hardware solution) and letting the piracy go on I think that Sony will eventually choose replacing old broken PS3s.

We don't know anything about what Sony can do yet.

I certainly would like to play my import PS2 games on my launch PS3 thought (my modded launch PS2 have been on life support for years).
I think what they did was put a new debug feature in, but they have no way to fix all the past ones. This means every PS3 produced to date can be hacked this way.

Now is a great time to come out with those new BC Slims! Now Offically Hacker Proof™

I'm guessing it's real
Unless a ton of stuff comes out to show its a really big houx, since major sites are saying "Yes, it does in fact work", it is real.

So if the PS3 can run PS1 games via emulator

And has a PS2 Emulator in firmware capable of running PS2 games fairly well

And has a PSP emulator (Currently used for playing PSP Minis but possibly able to be hacked wide open?)

that means I can use my PS3 to play every single game in the Playstation family line, basically doing what the PSX (remember that?) had set out to do years before.

Oh, this has the potential to be glorious....

SolidusDave said:
What amazes me is how the leaking of this USB dongle took almost 4 years when devs and repair centers had them all this time.

Just checked the Ozmod videos and it seems legit....

it makes me sad though...this shit will not lead to proper homebrew whatsoever and I don't want a PSP situation for my home console. A backup utility is nice like with the Wii HDD backups but who are we fooling, 95% of those users have pirated copies on it.

Let's see how Sony handles this, by hitting the resellers or by patching things up.

Vagabundo

Drkirby said:
Yep.

And I am sure someone is going to try and see if that USB key can be reproduced. Expect to see them for $2 shipped on ebay in 6 months and sold by Datel with some odd name. I could see it being a physical device and not software based.

Sony should brand one and sell it. I'd buy it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Abominable Snowman said:

And has a PSP emulator (Currently used for playing PSP Minis but possibly able to be hacked wide open?)

that means I can use my PS3 to play every single game in the Playstation family line, basically doing what the PSX (remember that?) had set out to do years before.

Oh, I hope baddly that PSP Emulator can be used for more then just Mini's. To be able to play every Playstation Brand game on a single system, that would be great.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The Abominable Snowman said:

it is nice to dream.

I can picture some lowly Sony tech being tortured by Jack Tretton right now, Jack Bauer style. "You stole the key, you must die!"

StevePharma said:
Just checked the Ozmod videos and it seems legit....

it makes me sad though...this shit will not lead to proper homebrew whatsoever and I don't want a PSP situation for my home console. A backup utility is nice like with the Wii HDD backups but who are we fooling, 95% of those users have pirated copies on it.

Let's see how Sony handles this, by hitting the resellers or by patching things up.
Well, to be fair it seems more like a NDS situation: Where users have to buy a chip or cart or something to allow it to play the backups or homebrew, and another medium for storage.

It didn't put Nintendo out of business and I doubt Sony will be feeling too much of an effect in the long run, especially after 4 long years.

alr1ghtstart said:
it is nice to dream.

I can picture some lowly Sony tech being tortured by Jack Tretton right now, Jack Bauer style. "You stole the key, you must die!"
Imagine being able to play all the superior versions of every Street fighter game. You get Street fighter Alpha 3: double Upper Max, Super Street Fighter II HD, Super Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter EX2a+, Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike (PS2 Ver) and Street Fighter The Movie. All on one console. Lets not forget Capcom vs SNK 2 and MAME or FinalBurn running Marvel vs Capcom (4p Online!)

Vagabundo

StevePharma said:

Looks like they can only patch this up if there is some sort of firmware loader that can be updated as this stick runs before the firmware loads.

It is similar situation to the Wii and bootmii - I'm surprised it has taken this long to get hold of one of the usb keys they must have been worth a fortune on the blackhat/pirate market, at least a couple of grand.

M°°nblade said:
What amazes me is how the leaking of this USB dongle took almost 4 years when devs and repair centers had them all this time.

ya me too...cant believe this special dev mode key didnt get leaked...its kind of like the pandora battery for psp...

think this was just in repair centres though cause in with devs you use an actual dev console...

Triple U

Banned
Drkirby said:

Nearly Impossilbe, Dreamcast discs on on GD-Roms, and are the only damn device to use such a format.
You do know that you could literally burn a dreamcast iso to a cdr outright and play it without modding right?

N.A said:

I suppose they could update the firmware to prevent booting from USB as a last resort (hey they nuked Linux).

If there's some sort of authentication that takes place before the USB dongle boots they could simply revoke that particular device or its key. Really depends on how it works.

The firmware itself hasn't been compromised yet, and no idea if its even possible to do so.

KernelPanic said:
I suppose they could update the firmware to prevent booting from USB as a last resort (hey they nuked Linux).

If there's some sort of authentication that takes place before the USB dongle boots they could simply revoke that particular device or its key. Really depends on how it works.

The firmware itself hasn't been compromised yet, and no idea if its even possible to do so.
They could release a FW upgrade that blocks the compromised USB dongle hardware and distribute a new version with another authenticity code.

I wonder if sony has a fail safe procedure for this situation. They were pretty fast with linux.

Top Bottom