• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, the guy turns off the PS3 with the switch in the back...WHY?

If you were selling USB dongles at about $150 a pop, you'd probably care less about breaking your PS3 too. :lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
inner-G said:
I would assume a external would be slower, as it would be bottlenecked at USB 2.0 speeds.

USB 2.0 transfer rate is a lot faster then a hard drive. It's a none issue.

EDIT: Seems I was wrong. At least it should be fast then a BD drive at least anyway.

Tensai

Banned
cyberheater said:
30MBps is the highest transfer rate you'll see on an external hardrive. Internal harddrives can go at up to 120MBps and SSDs can reach mutiples of that.

Platy

Happy Phantom said:
hey dudes. I heard usb ports are removed on new update. Sony shit themselves on the foot this time.

I totaly saw the ps3 updating ... and then suddenly the usb port EXPLODES xD

AndyD

aka andydumi
Tensai said:
When loading PS3 games there shouldn't be very much difference.

Right. But getting an external with more cache may actually speed things up a touch. Shaving off a second here and there on load intensive games can be dramatic.

I would love to plug up a TB external and dump my PS3 collection to it.

JADS

cyberheater said:

No it isn't. USB 2.0 is 480 Mbits at optimal conditions that you almost will never reach, SATA 1.5 Gbit/s and that is the lowest variant possible

mclem

So here's a curious question. I didn't have much experience with the PS3 side of things when I worked in development, but I had used 360 dev a lot and knew my way around it, and one big question just sprung to mind which might make this a whole lot messier:

Is there a PS3 equivalent to PartnerNet?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Tensai said:
30MBps is the highest transfer rate you'll see on an external hardrive. Internal harddrives can go at up to 120MBps and SSDs can reach mutiples of that.

Jeez. I wonder how fast games would load from a fast SSD. That would be amazing to see.

SolidSnakex said:
No, but you can probably look forward to them fixing this problem in a way that makes people complain and file lawsuits against them.

This, why I'm not excited about this at all.

I can't wait for threads of people that bought this and some how end up getting a bricked system.

cyberheater said:
Jeez. I wonder how fast games would load from a fast SSD. That would be amazing to see.

Go on youtube and watch demos.

JADS said:
No it isn't. USB 2.0 is 480 Mbits at optimal conditions that you almost will never reach, SATA 1.5 Gbit/s and that is the lowest variant possible

That is the maximum speed of the SATA bus. Find me a 2.5" HDD that reads/writes at speeds even close to that.

Kittonwy

Banned
anonymousAversa said:
Just read the entire thread. Exciting stuff.

My question the entire time has been, how do these youtube videos have only 300 views? It seems like there are more comments than views!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOEbZEkp9A

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_164879&feature=iv&v=8IDaGne0u-4

have been reading for an hour and the first video has stayed at 315 hits the entire time...

Why Infamous? It's available for download already. Something seems fishy about the whole thing.

jett

D-Member
cyberheater said:

Tests have been made with a PS3 equipped with a SSD. I think at most it loaded some stuff in half the time.

cyberheater

Valkyr Junkie said:
That is the maximum speed of the SATA bus. Find me a 2.5" HDD that reads/writes at speeds even close to that.

Yeah. I hear you. I think the important point is that an external HDD should be fast enough.

Kittonwy said:
Why Infamous? It's available for download already. Something seems fishy about the whole thing.
I know, and what's up with the wind moving the flag on the moon landing video, everyone knows there's no wind on the moon!

J-Rzez

jett said:
Tests have been made with a PS3 equipped with a SSD. I think at most it loaded some stuff in half the time.

Hopefully by time the next consoles launch, larger SSD's cost significantly less than they do now. They should be the standard in the next consoles due to their performance.

cyberheater

jett said:

Pretty impressive. SSD load times vs standard bluray must be like night and day. I guess it would make the system seem pretty nippy.

On another (technical) note. Why doesn't it allow the use of bluray movie backups?

Kittonwy

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I know, and what's up with the wind moving the flag on the moon landing video, everyone knows there's no wind on the moon!

Invisible space cat.
Indifferent2.gif

gcubed

demosthenes said:

I can't wait for threads of people that bought this and some how end up getting a bricked system.

this is exactly what i'm waiting for in a few weeks

cyberheater said:
Pretty impressive. SSD load times vs standard bluray must be like night and day. I guess it would make the system seem pretty nippy.

On another (technical) note. Why doesn't it allow the use of bluray movie backups?

from speculation, they took the coding for a debug unit and made it available for general use... debug units have no need for bluray movie backups. Although if it is a full interrupt in the system it can open up some possibilities.

Kittonwy

Banned
demosthenes said:

Those people are probably going to blame Sony.

JADS

Valkyr Junkie said:
That is the maximum speed of the SATA 1 bus. Find me a 2.5" HDD that reads/writes at speeds even close to that.

I am sure I can dig up some 2.5" SSD that can get close, but that was not the point. He said that USB2.0 was faster than the internal HD, which isn't possible because even SATA1 is faster.

androvsky

cyberheater said:

Debug units can't play blu-ray movies (possibly DVDs too). I'm assuming this thing turns systems back into a retail PS3 after you reboot or remove it, otherwise people aren't going to be too thrilled with some of the side effects.

Hey Sony (and SDF), this time

joker-hat.jpg

So what's the over-under of some brilliant young hacker out there cooking up some CFW for the PS3 now that this has slipped into the market?

If this is legit, I'm going to buy another PS3, find a way to roll it back to old Linux-friendly FW, and hope that they crack it wide open like they did the original Xbox.

Seriously...a PS3 with all of its available HW available to use for running whatever OSes you wanted, full-tilt emulation, and media server software (HD XBMC? omg) would be the most awesome thing ever made...it'd be the HTPC I always wanted!

cyberheater

androvsky said:
Debug units can't play blu-ray movies (possibly DVDs too). I'm assuming this thing turns systems back into a retail PS3 after you reboot or remove it, otherwise people aren't going to be too thrilled with some of the side effects.

That seems pretty plausible. I wonder how it limits the PS3 in other ways?

gcubed

Lonewolf_92 said:

heylookatmeimadouchebag.jpg[IMG]

So what's the over-under of some brilliant young hacker out there cooking up some CFW for the PS3 now that this has slipped into the market?[/QUOTE]

you're a real winner

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Lonewolf_92 said:

[MG]http://fashionablygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/joker-hat.jpg[/IMG]

So what's the over-under of some brilliant young hacker out there cooking up some CFW for the PS3 now that this has slipped into the market?
This is reaction of a fanboy. Like some are happy that the PS3 is hacked (for the wrong reasons).

Momo

Banned
I honestly do not give a crap about a modchip, (apart from the fact that this will now inconvenience me due to Sony most likely becoming draconian) one thing has me worried though, Sony possibly rushing out 3.42/3.5 w/e firmware and it bricking my PS3 when I update. Now I'm going to have to wait a day or two before doing the next system update :/

The firmware team are barely useful as it is, and now they'll spend their time trying to salvage this situation. More delays for requested features and enhancements will follow for those who go about their gaming legally. Thanks modders!

Momo

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
The firmware team are barely useful as it is, and now they'll spend their time trying to salvage this situation. More delays for requested features and enhancements will follow for those who go about their gaming legally. Thanks modders!
Hey, this is almost exactly what I posted (page 3) before I left for work this morning :lol

cyberheater

Is there something inherently special about the usb memory stick apart from it probably being protected?

Taij

androvsky said:

I want to see it confirmed that they are in fact playing on a retail kit. I still think it's most likely that the video has a debug kit with the top plate swapped so it just says "playstation 3" without the "test" text.

Regardless if this is legit and it puts it in debug state then there are going to be a couple of issues. First in the video when he reboots the kit it still clearly has the debug options enabled, so setting it to retail isn't as easy as rebooting it. Now he had the usb stick in during reboot so *maybe* all you have to do is remove that and reboot it.

More importantly if you have an unsigned dump of a game and you want to patch it you need to have an unsigned patch from the internal psn. You likely won't have access to the internal psn, and even if you do devs rarely (if ever) put patches there, so you can play your game in the base state but the second it needs a patch you can no longer go online with it.

I'm still skeptical of all this but we'll see.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
jett said:
I remember SSD tests back in the day and improvements were only slight.

Things have changed?

xtop

dallow_bg said:

Things have changed?

from what i saw, only really makes a difference with downloadable titles

dallow_bg said:

Things have changed?

SSDs have improved a lot since then.

I'd be interested in one just for the reliability and peace of mind. Once prices go down I plan on installing them in my macbook pro and 60gb ps3 (if I could just get the damn screws out).

Top Bottom