• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

-PXG-

Uh oh, Sony is already taking action...

PS3 Firmware (v3.42) Update:

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on August 19, 2010 (JST), and will disable the USB ports that are available on all PS3 systems, launched in November 2006. Due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.42 system software update.
In addition, disabling the USB ports will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the USB ports can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;
Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.42 or later
Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.42 or later

;)

jcm

I predict we'll see this by the end of August:

PS3™ System Software Update 3.42
Game
New for 3.42: The playback quality of some PlayStation®3 format software has been improved.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Just read the entire thread. Exciting stuff.

My question the entire time has been, how do these youtube videos have only 300 views? It seems like there are more comments than views!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOEbZEkp9A

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=8IDaGne0u-4

have been reading for an hour and the first video has stayed at 315 hits the entire time...

An extreme amount of faith, w/c allows them to believe that it is true, that it has finally happened, and that video proof is apparently not necessary? :D

M°°nblade said:
They could release a FW upgrade that blocks the compromised USB dongle hardware and distribute a new version with another authenticity code.

I wonder if sony has a fail safe procedure for this situation. They were pretty fast with linux.

Well here's a thought ... can you boot a PS3 from a bootable USB drive with PS3 linux on it ? Probably not, someone would've tried that by now.

That means the PS3 has to authenticate the USB device before it passes control over to it. If so, they have the means to block or revoke the device (I'd imagine the devices are signed), unless this mechanism is stored in ROM.

DieH@rd

Banned
anonymousAversa said:

My question the entire time has been, how do these youtube videos have only 300 views? It seems like there are more comments than views!

Viewcount updates few times a day. I remember wondering same question when that 10min MK Movie came out, it hovered at 300views entire day. Next day counter was >2 mil.

KAL2006

Banned
HaRyu said:
An extreme amount of faith, w/c allows them to believe that it is true, that it has finally happened, and that video proof is apparently not necessary? :D

exactly, there is definatley many people aware of this, 3 populer PS3 hacking forums stopped working or barely work, because of the traffic.

MjFrancis

Teetris said:
17 pages since the first page? :lol

I'm guessing it's real
I've got a lot of reading to scroll through! So far, I've gathered that the PS3 finally has a legitimate mod, but I'll have to comb through this thread for the details. It's hard to believe that it's finally been done.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Triple U said:
You do know that you could literally burn a dreamcast iso to a cdr outright and play it without modding right?
I was about to post the part of my post where I say the Dreamcast has even worse Anti-Piaracy methiods then the Saturn, then I noticed I got rid of that part :lol

Yeah, you can burn a Dreamcast ISOs to a CD-R, though a decent ammount are compressed since a CD-R only hold 700MBs as you must know, and a GD-Rom holds 1.2GB.

But while that is true, you still can not take a legit Dreamcast disc and put it in a CD-Rom drive, like the one in the PS3, and load the disc, it will not load. You can use an ISO of the game or a already pirated CD-R of it, but not the Dreamcast game it self.

TimeKillr

KernelPanic said:
Well here's a thought ... can you boot a PS3 from a bootable USB drive with PS3 linux on it ? Probably not, someone would've tried that by now.

That means the PS3 has to authenticate the USB device before it passes control over to it. If so, they have the means to block or revoke the device (I'd imagine the devices are signed), unless this mechanism is stored in ROM.

My guess (and talking it over with a guy I work with who's an expect tech head on these matters) is that it's most likely something that has to do with the device ID of the USB device, that tells the PS3 "Okay, this is the jigkick USB stick. Start loading software from it!".

BTW, this was the exact Pandora hack for the PSP: all you needed to make a Pandora battery was switching its internal serial # to 0x00000000. When the PSP boots up, it checks the serial # for the battery: if it's that specific #, it boots firmware off the memory stick instead. Nobody thought about looking there - everybody thought it was unlocked through one of the ports on the PSP instead.

I doubt the USB stick is a 2 devices in one type of affair - it doesn't make a lot of sense. We'll see once it's released (if it's real, but with more and more well-known hackers confirming it, it's probably legit at this point).

BTW, gaining debug kit access on a standard PS3 means you can do pretty much everything you want with it, provided you have a way to compile code, as AFAIK debug kits don't check for package signatures to run code.

Erebus

Sorry if posted.
4. Final retail units are ready to ship.

5. Official reseller list will be on their site in the next 48 hours. You can pre-order from any of the official resellers. There are websites out there now claiming to be selling but they are not legitimate. Don't get ripped off. Wait until the official list is posted.

-PXG-

Okay, so these do work on retail units? Why bother selling the USB drives if they only work on debug consoles? Scam?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
-PXG- said:
Okay, so these do work on retail units? Why bother selling the USB drives if they only work on debug consoles? Scam?
Goddamn it. Yes, that's what the key is for to enable debug mode and then you can use the software stored on it to back-up games.

TimeKillr

-PXG- said:

You don't understand. :)

The USB dongle runs the PS3 debug firmware, more or less. So it turns your PS3 into a debug unit.

That's pretty much it.

-PXG- said:

The software is out for you to download.
But you need to UBS stick to make a normal ps3 become a debug console to load the ISO file.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
TimeKillr said:
My guess (and talking it over with a guy I work with who's an expect tech head on these matters) is that it's most likely something that has to do with the device ID of the USB device, that tells the PS3 "Okay, this is the jigkick USB stick. Start loading software from it!".

BTW, this was the exact Pandora hack for the PSP: all you needed to make a Pandora battery was switching its internal serial # to 0x00000000. When the PSP boots up, it checks the serial # for the battery: if it's that specific #, it boots firmware off the memory stick instead. Nobody thought about looking there - everybody thought it was unlocked through one of the ports on the PSP instead.

I doubt the USB stick is a 2 devices in one type of affair - it doesn't make a lot of sense. We'll see once it's released (if it's real, but with more and more well-known hackers confirming it, it's probably legit at this point).

BTW, gaining debug kit access on a standard PS3 means you can do pretty much everything you want with it, provided you have a way to compile code, as AFAIK debug kits don't check for package signatures to run code.

With the setup they have in most sony repair centers, the PS3 has to connect to Sony's servers via a USB challenge response, maybe they have found a flaw in the challenge/response algorithm

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
So can someone clear up some things for me on this?

Fabled USB dongle supposedly converts retail PS3 into debug PS3. I'm getting conflicting answers from all over the web that "that PS3 in the video is a debug unit" or "that PS3 is a retail unit". In either case, is there only that video? I'd actually like to see a video of a retail unit booted up, w/o the USB dongle, then then reboot the thing w/ the dongle in it.

My other question concerns what happens when the USB dongle is removed and the PS3 is booted back up normally. Would the PS3 still be able to detect those games? Obviously, you wouldnt be able to run them, but I'm curious what would happen. I mean, it doesnt look like they actually show up on the XMB bar anyway during the video.

Borman

Any idea if its actually enabling any true debug features, such as disabling HDCP? That would be awesome for screenshots.

-PXG-

Yeah, I know the software is running from the USB drive. I just thought that in order for the USB drive to work, is to have a debug console. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the clarification.

It's only a matter of time until someone dumps the code online (so you can use your own drive, and not buy one) if they haven't already...

Panda1

Banned
MjFrancis said:
I've got a lot of reading to scroll through! So far, I've gathered that the PS3 finally has a legitimate mod, but I'll have to comb through this thread for the details. It's hard to believe that it's finally been done.

Its hard to believe it took so long TBH

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
-PXG- said:
Yeah, I know the software is running from the USB drive. I just thought that in order for the USB drive to work, is to have a debug console. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the clarification.

It's only a matter of time until someone dumps the code online, if they haven't already...
They already have, and I have it on my desktop. It doesn't work on an unmodified USB key since we don't know how it runs yet.

-PXG-

InfiniteNine said:
They already have, and I have it on my desktop. It doesn't work on an unmodified USB key since we don't know how it runs yet.

Gotcha. Well, again, it's only a matter of time.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
so someone with a debug kit can run that game dumping code they have on their site and it should work without the USB key?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Segata Sanshiro said:
It's even harder to believe that this isn't butter.
We lied, it is butter!

As the owner of an O.G. 60GB, this highly interests me; reducing the wear on my fragile BD diode would be awesome.
Isn't it more likely to get a YLOD due to heat issues then the Bluray drive dying?

alr1ghtstart said:
so someone with a debug kit can run that game dumping code they have on their site and it should work without the USB key?

Yes, but if you have a debug kit you can already play burnt BD-ROMs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
InfiniteNine said:

Has it been confirmed what's in the code?

Primarily, I mean, is it independent of Sony-owned stuff?

i.e. is it legal to copy

inner-G

Banned
Drkirby said:
Isn't it more likely to get a YLOD due to heat issues then the Bluray drive dying?
Maybe.

I keep my apt. cool and clean though, and vacuum the dust off my triple from time to time. Plus I have it on a big glass entertainment center that stays pretty cool even in summer.

Tensai said:
Just buy an external HDD, much cheaper and available in up to 2TB sizes.

Is there any difference in the speed of an internal and external drive? One of the main benefits of running off a harddrive is the reduced loading times.

Tensai

Banned
BoboBrazil said:
Is there any difference in the speed of an internal and external drive? One of the main benefits of running off a harddrive is the reduced loading times.
When loading PS3 games there shouldn't be very much difference.

tehbear

inner-G said:
As the owner of an O.G. 60GB, this highly interests me; reducing the wear on my fragile BD diode would be awesome.

It's too late for me my OG 60GB's blu-ray diode is already dead :(

inner-G

Banned
BoboBrazil said:
I would assume a external would be slower, as it would be bottlenecked at USB 2.0 speeds.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How much is this thing meant to be?

I know it's a long shot but it would be great if it would allow you to patch PS3 stereoscopic games to run on the current crop of 3DS projectors.

droopy

anonymousAversa said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOEbZEkp9A

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_164879&feature=iv&v=8IDaGne0u-4

have been reading for an hour and the first video has stayed at 315 hits the entire time...

I don't know why but I can't help but trust an Australian.

Top Bottom