• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

gcubed

Backfoggen said:
German console modding store confirms that it's legit.

http://www.gamefreax.de/

They're also not allowed to sell it and already destroyed the stick they got from the developer lol.

Edit: Other interesting facts:
Installing of unsigned packages also confirmed
Works with 3.41 but prevents the console from updating to anything >3.41
Installing a backup to the hard drive takes 10-15 minutes
Need another retail game in the drive

lol, it appears to use sony proprietary stuff then, and most places outside of china that enjoy their business won't touch it if thats the case

Galvanise_ said:
That's not the point. Now they'll be even further off.

Some people are really selfish.
Sony's inability to provide features on par with their competition's platform of five years ago really doesn't seem to be the fault of consumer selfishness. Rather it seems to speak to devouring paint chips.

androvsky

Erasus said:
Yup, all you people how think the cell is a powerhouse is a bit wrong. Well it is very powerful if you use all the SPUs, but homebrew probably wont do that.

It's clear that the Cell processor isn't all that impressive as a general-purpose CPU; if it's not executing code designed to run on the Cell processor, it's generally slower than a PowerPC G5 @ 1.6GHz (the baseline processor for Geekbench).

Its like a mac from 2004.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2007/05/playstation-3-performance-may-2007/

If they're using SCE's libraries like this usb thing is, then they'd simply be able to use all of Sony's video decoding libraries. It'd be like the original XBMC that required someone to build it using a leaked XBox SDK and distribute the illegal binaries.

N.A said:
Emulation of consoles up to and including the Dreamcast (except Saturn maybe) at full speed should still be possible.

The only worthwile Saturn emulator on PC requires a lot more general processing power than the CELL has. It could probably be done by leveraging the SPUs or building better optimised code of course, but no one's going to do that.

Dreamcast would probably be easier provided there's someone with the motivation for it and he has full access to RSX.

Don't expect miracles.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Sony's inability to provide features on par with their competition's platform of five years ago really doesn't seem to be the fault of consumer selfishness. Rather it seems to speak to devouring paint chips.

The way I see it is this. When I got my PS3, I had bugger all to do on it with regards to the XMB. Since then I've got catchup TV, Video Stores, Vidzone, an updated Playstation Store, Minis functionality, In game XMB, Trophies etc. I didn't pay for any of that when I bought my PS3. Thats all stuff Sony has given me for free since then.

Now the firmware team will have to constantly waste time trying to fight off hackers/modders, delaying more free stuff Sony wanted to give me. We all want nice things, but hackers are fucking things up for the people who go about gaming in a legal way.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
androvsky said:
If they're using SCE's libraries like this usb thing is, then they'd simply be able to use all of Sony's video decoding libraries. It'd be like the original XBMC that required someone to build it using a leaked XBox SDK and distribute the illegal binaries.

I think that's the thing I'm most excited about. That someone will code a kick ass media player for it and hopefully allow the reading of better then fat 32 format hdds.

Galvanise_ said:
Now the firmware team will have to constantly waste time trying to fight off hackers/modders, delaying more free stuff Sony wanted to give me. We all want nice things, but hackers are fucking things up for the people who go about gaming in a legal way.

They've been doing that since PS3 launch. Any new update they have to test and analyze for any new vulnerabilities they may have inadvertently introduced.

This is easy in comparison, they know what's broken and what to patch (assuming they can).

vulva

Galvanise_ said:
The way I see it is this. When I got my PS3, I had bugger all to do on it with regards to the XMB. Since then I've got catchup TV, Video Stores, Vidzone, an updated Playstation Store, Minis functionality, In game XMB, Trophies etc. I didn't pay for any of that when I bought my PS3. Thats all stuff Sony has given me for free since then.

maybe with this mod out there it will... galvanise them in to action to provide the features people are requesting through legitimate means to avoid people jumping ship

Galvanise_ said:

LOL!!! Sorry but this post is pretty funny. Sony is SUPPOSE to offer updates to the PS3 as the other companies have done for their respective consoles. Do you honestly think Sony just included all of those new abilities because they were being nice? No, they did it because it increased the likelihood of others purchasing their console. Sony also REMOVED an option that they advertised as being included in the console when purchased. If these individuals help usher in options that many want and that Sony refuses to do themselves then good job.

You will be hard-pressed to find people on GAF who support piracy. Every console has an issue with piracy and yet if you look at the Wii thanks to homebrew there are tons of options that Nintendo refused to create themselves. Same with the DS, PSP, etc. The PSP would be crap if it wasn't for homebrew. Hopefully this will allow even more potential for the PS3.

Kittonwy

Banned
Backfoggen said:
German console modding store confirms that it's legit.

http://www.gamefreax.de/

They're also not allowed to sell it and already destroyed the stick they got from the developer lol.

Edit: Other interesting facts:
Installing of unsigned packages also confirmed
Works with 3.41 but prevents the console from updating to anything >3.41
Installing a backup to the hard drive takes 10-15 minutes
Need another retail game in the drive

Does that mean if they release 3.42 tomorrow it won't work anymore?

gcubed

Kittonwy said:

if its pulling from the SDK, i would assume when they launch a new SDK <-> firmware link you wouldn't be able to use it anymore (which i would assume they would do quickly with 3.42). They would then have to get the data from the new SDK (assuming Sony wouldnt implement a way around it)... but if you never plan to go online then this will work forever

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
brain_stew said:
Confirms it as far as I'm concerned. Anyone selling this device in the west is asking for trouble.

If the dongle itself is piracy, we might want to be careful about how we talk about it then. I'm not sure what the latest is on mod policy wrt piracy and emu discussion, but I wouldn't want to be taken to be advocating this device any more than I'd want to be taken to be advocating a pirated copy of a game...

brain_stew said:
Or you could just buy, a, you know, HTPC!?

The PS3 is ill suited for homebrew emulation anyway, its main PowerPC core is super slow and no emulator coder is going to make use of those SPUs, same applies to video codecs as well. The fat PS3 is pretty damn big as far as modern HTPCs go as well.

But can I get a HTPC that can play PS3 games as well as play Blurays and (potentially) emulate everything from the gen before it down for the $200 I could get a used PS3 for, and the cost of this (still hypothetical) mod?

If this mod uses the official PS3 libraries, and allows access to them, the full hardware will be able to be used to write programs, just like the old Xbox and XBMC was, or just like the PSP used to be prior to the 3000 and PSP Go. If there's a powerful HTPC I can do most of this stuff for that costs $200 or so, lead me to it!

Yeef

For those of you who have used debug units before: what other limitations do they have? Someone already mentioned that they can't play blu-ray movies and that most devs don't put out unsigned patches for their games.

LovingSteam said:
You will be hard-pressed to find people on GAF who support piracy.
Well, openly supporting piracy is a perma-ban, so of course you're not going to find anyone on GAF who supports piracy.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
intresting to see so many people into homebrew emulators.
for 150$ one could get quite a console collection of ebay plus games.

never understood the love for emulators. when i go all nostalgia, then with the old hardware, feel and look..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeef said:
Well, openly supporting piracy is a perma-ban, so of course you're not going to find anyone on GAF who supports piracy.

Yes, but unlike other websites, GAF also bans for wink wink-nudge nudge piracy.

missile

Vagabundo said:
So in theory some custom code could run instead? Like a bootable linux. Ubuntu...
This! Turning a Retail into a Debug brings heaven down to earth for the
homebrew and the PS3 Linux scene. There are no signature checks while
installing packages on a Debug. So if you build a package containing a Linux
kernel it will just run like any other program / game. Even better, the
kernel would run under the GameOS (hypervisor), which grants full access to
the RSX. This would make Linux a liable solution on PS3 (even for all the
non-techy guys 'n gals). It would be possible to switch back and forth
between PS3 Linux and PS3 games, while suspending Linux (its memory content)
to disc. Btw; Opera 10.61 came out recently for PowerPC cores. I have 10.61
running under the OtherOS and it pwns! Just imagine you can run Opera
from PS3 Linux under the GameOS with RSX acceleration. :D I tell you, with a
Linux kernel running under the GameOS, with hardware acceleration and stuff,
the face of the PS3 will change -- for the better.

H_Prestige said:
Why do people think this will open the doors to ps2 emulation? The ps3 hardware just isn't capable of doing it.
Once you can use the RSX, a similar thing can be done like with the PS2
emulator running on PCs, which, in essence, relies heavily on graphics
hardware acceleration.

So let's hope that sh!t is for real.

Honestly, where to order?!

Man, I just want to be able to rip my Blurays into HDD. Every Bluray capable media center I've tried just works like crap. That said, I wouldn't pay these guys $150 for a dongle.

Edit: what's to stop someone from buyingthe dongle and making a copy of the contents and posting online?

Kittonwy said:
If you update to 3.42, yes. However there's an update blocker integrated, which is useless since Sony can just force people into having to update to 3.42 for newer games.

KAL2006

Banned
Backfoggen said:
If you update to 3.42, yes. However there's an update blocker integrated, which is useless since Sony can just force people into having to update to 3.42 for newer games.

well with the Wii you can remove the updates from the new games

sankt-Antonio

Stumpokapow said:
Yes, but unlike other websites, GAF also bans for wink wink-nudge nudge piracy.

and what is this topic about then?

edit:
see:

Basileus777 said:
And since this lets you run unsigned code, there will be hacks and custom firmware that let you run those games without the newest official firmware.

of course poeple would only put the games they have on the hdd, no way that it could be used to downlo... ah what am i talking about.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Tigletx said:
I want to hear what sony has to say about this ffssssss
They are probably just thankful that they made a console that resisted hacking for four years. That's for sure much longer than anyone (including them) would have ever expected.

Especially that the hack is not something that's going to be legal to sell in most places anyways, and that they now can do patching to prevent it. As an example, see how that German mod chip store can't even sell it.

You have to wonder if the consoles in the future will simply be unhackable for at least the duration of their lifetimes - if they apply knowledge they got from this time around. Four years is ridiculously long time, so making it double that doesn't seem so far fetched anymore.

brain_stew said:
The PS3 is ill suited for homebrew emulation anyway, its main PowerPC core is super slow and no emulator coder is going to make use of those SPUs, same applies to video codecs as well.
It could emulate anything up to Saturn with ease. Also, the programming effort that went into PS2 emulator on PC definitely doesn't paint emu makers as some code recycling lazy asses. They can put effort into things. Video codecs are going to be trivial as PS3 supports most of the stuff natively anyways. It's just decoding stuff like subtitles inside the MKV that's not there, for everything else there's support through system libraries.

N.A

Banned
Backfoggen said:

It's a lot harder for Sony than that. Expect patches to game files or another way to bypass the check. You only have to look at the PSP or Wii to see it isn't an easy fix.

Backfoggen said:

And since this lets you run unsigned code, there will be hacks and custom firmware that let you run those games without the newest official firmware.

xero273

mikespit1200 said:
Man, I just want to be able to rip my Blurays into HDD. Every Bluray capable media center I've tried just works like crap. That said, I wouldn't pay these guys $150 for a dongle.

Edit: what's to stop someone from buyingthe dongle and making a copy of the contents and posting online?

from what infinitenine said the code is already available online. It just won't work with regular usb drives for now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Eternal Sleeper said:
Our wonderful love of homebrew application

Can we talk about that in the context of a device that - apparently - uses pirated software in order to work?

If that is true, unfortunately there's not really any 'innocent use' of this thing.

sankt-Antonio said:
intresting to see so many people into homebrew emulators.
for 150$ one could get quite a console collection of ebay plus games.

never understood the love for emulators. when i go all nostalgia, then with the old hardware, feel and look..

I agree with this; I just bought a brand new NES and a number of games from several GAFfers this week :lol

Emulators are cool because many of them let you enhance things about the games you have to play on them - cheats, trainers, translation patches, better/custom graphics, your choice of controllers, save states, etc...but what would really be awesome is to have the PS3 be opened up to do other shit - like the HD XBMC I keep mentioning. A fully-hardware accelerated and open XBMC port to PS3 would render every other settop box on Earth obsolete almost instantly. Every single possible kind of media from anywhere - your PC, Hulu, Netflix, TV, whatever - playable/streamable/recordable/DVRable/uploadable in high-definition (and possibly 3D compatible, since the PS3 supports 3D now) from one device?

Fuck, my toes just curled <3

[EDIT: gofreak, did you hate XBMC because of how it came to exist? Do you hate PSPComic because of how it came to exist?]

gofreak said:
Can we talk about that in the context of a device that - apparently - uses pirated software in order to work?

If that is true, unfortunately there's not really any 'innocent use' of this thing.
Pretty much.

sankt-Antonio

Momo said:
Not a path you want to walk down friend.
i just wanted to point out that every information about piracy can be hidden as homebrew/hdd dumping talk. so if gaf is against wink wink piracy talk they have to ban more then they do right now

i think im not gaining any friends right now :|

N.A

Banned
gofreak said:

Talking about original Xbox homebrew is OK and every app for that (including XBMC) was illegal as they were compiled with the official SDK.

KAL2006

Banned
gofreak said:

Well we could now dump our legit games to the HDD, and put them away so we never have to swap discs or scratch discs again. Yes and the potential support of homebrew is also crucial.

tokkun

gofreak said:
If the dongle itself is piracy, we might want to be careful about how we talk about it then. I'm not sure what the latest is on mod policy wrt piracy and emu discussion, but I wouldn't want to be taken to be advocating this device any more than I'd want to be taken to be advocating a pirated copy of a game...

I don't see how it's any worse than discussing modchips, which are illegal in many countries. Or playing ROMs from games that you own but have not ripped yourself. Or playing abandonware.

Pirating a game instead of buying it causes a developer to lose money. Buying a dongle that contains software that has been signed without a proper license is not directly hurting anyone (you could argue that giving money to a company that sells devices to others who will use it to pirate is wrong, but you could apply the same argument to buying an R4 card). So, while both may be illegal, I think there is an important ethical distinction between the two.

gofreak said:

I hope you know that Dragona has banned people in the past for implying homebrews are only going to lead to piracy :lol

So yeah, there's honestly no reason to discuss this topic, - other than the great possibility of playing our super authentic blu-ray disc region free. *cough*

I honestly don't care, my PS3 is always next to my PC/laptop.
Makes writing/checking guides much easier.
And I have never really been bothered by load times.

Top Bottom