• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

Man

lyre said:
wink wink nudge nudge I can finally remove trophies from my ps3
wink wink nudge nudge I can finally unlock the PSP emulator on it to run ISO dumps of my collection on it
wink wink nudge nudge PS3 finally won't be a worthless gimped piece of shit
Leave the PSP alone!

gcubed

missile said:
They can just deny games being launched from a "debug unit".

I guess a package file can be created in a "text" editor. It's just a
container containing binaries and other data. If I remember correctly,
building such (unsigned) packages were done in the past without a
Sony SDK.

in an earlier post i mentioned, this basically is going to harm dev's more then end users.

if this is a stick with a stolen or "acquired" copyrighted encryption keys from Sony i would imagine that no reputable business that deals in things other then hacks would ever sell it

lethial said:
I wonder if the dongle has anything to prevent someone from dumping it and allowing it to be used on any USB stick\HD.
Probably. as much of the development will be spent protecting their investment with some novel hardware kink so it can't be dumped. At least I would expect that to be the case of they'll be out of business pretty soon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AndyD said:
What kind of example is that? Who pees on cats?

I think his point, that I disagree with, is that since he doesn't participate in trophies at all and doesn't care about them at all, he really doesn't care if they're ruined for anyone else.

I enjoy trophies although more than half my library doesn't have trophies so I can't say I'm invested in them, but just the same I feel like hacking/cheating trophies is unfortunate because it ruins it for people who are invested in the metagame, just like if someone hacks a high score onto a leaderboard.

lethial said:
I wonder if the dongle has anything to prevent someone from dumping it and allowing it to be used on any USB stick\HD.

It would function by keying off the actual Hardware identification of the USB device itself not the software on the drive.

Yeah I suppose that if I could play my PSP collection I'd definitely go for this, if only because I'd love to see if it could run TWotL at full speed.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Visualante said:
Probably. as much of the development will be spent protecting their investment with some novel hardware kink so it can't be dumped. At least I would expect that to be the case of they'll be out of business pretty soon.

True enough but we've seen clones for pretty much every modchip and other devices. It'll be interesting to see what the community does with it, if much can be done at all or hopefully added to it.

Boney

Banned
BishopLamont said:
You're late to the party man, we already celebrated it's funeral last year.
I thought it was in a coma with all of its limbs detached. Might as well pull the plug.

So if this isn't plugged and the PSP emulator is hacked, do you think Sony will release the official verison? or it's such an insignificant number they just won't care?

Momo

Banned
missile said:
I guess a package file can be created in a "text" editor. It's just a
container containing binaries and other data. If I remember correctly,
building such (unsigned) packages were done in the past without a
Sony SDK.
I'll do some light reading on PS3 toolchains, devkits and what was available for linux and so forth. This line of discussion interests me greatly

NekoFever

It's a matter of time before cheaper implementations become available. Look at how the PSP battery got turned into both homebrew versions as well as commercial products from companies like Datel.

Boney said:
I thought it was in a coma with all of its limbs detached. Might as well pull the plug.
Its family won't let it go, but the rest of the world just sees a breathing carcass.

Boney said:
So if this isn't plugged and the PSP emulator is hacked, do you think Sony will release the official verison? or it's such an insignificant number they just won't care?
They'll do it when they officially kill support for the PSP hardware (when it reaches ungodly numbers) or they'll save it for the PS4, who knows.

Takao

Banned
Diablohead said:
I forgot about that psp "emulator" or whatever it is running minis on the ps3, might get another ps1 on psp scenario lol.

That emulator has had issues running PSP Minis. I'd like to see it try to run Peace Walker.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
expy said:
Really huh....?

I don't think that was advocacy, I think he was bluntly just stating that when piracy became possible on the 360 (not unsigned code or anything, just burnt discs), people who wanted to pirate and play online just bought two 360s and used one for legit stuff and one for piracy... and that's likely to happen with any device that has console bans.

If someone were to, say, post "Well I'll buy a second PS3 for pirated games like I do with my 360", there'd be a mod dogpile.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Blue~ said:
If this is real, and the PS3 is hackeable, I may get one.

Please, become real backup downloading and playing!
289r0j.gif

Momo

Banned
Blue~ said:

You're French arent you? :lol

The grammar of your post makes it sound like you want to pirate :lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What homebrew is available for PS3 at the moment? Or are we waiting for hacks like this so devs can start working on it.
Which brings me to another question. Does this mean folks could start writing software for their PS3 and use this dongle to run and test the code?

lyre

Man said:
Leave the PSP alone!
PSP has everything to gain and nothing to lose from unlocking the PS3. The adopted red-headed battered stepson can live in a new happy life in the shell of a 300 dollar accessory.

DieH@rd

Banned
Blue~ said:

Blue~
(Today, 09:06 PM)

Keep up with the good work junior. Also, goodbye.

gcubed

Valkyr Junkie said:
facepalm.gif

edit: We just had our first party-goer pee on a cat.

dont understand it really. Lets pay 299 for a new console, 100 for a new huge hard drive, and 130 for this, just so i can play something i didnt really want to play for half the price because "it couldn't load a game off of the hard drive"

someone could post a video from 4 different angles (front, right, left/back diagonal and overhead) of a PS3 on a glass table in the middle of a room with a TV with front inputs and a clock with milliseconds and nothing else but a power strip on the floor that the PS3, TV and clock are plugged into and some people will still call it fake

ymmv

Banned
cyberheater said:
What homebrew is available for PS3 at the moment? Or are we waiting for hacks like this so devs can start working on it.
Which brings me to another question. Does this mean folks could start writing software for their PS3 and use this dongle to run and test the code?

With the dongle every PS3 becomes a debug unit so running your own code should be easy (if you've got the software and knowledge)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Faceless Master said:
someone could post a video from 4 different angles (front, right, left/back diagonal and overhead) of a PS3 on a glass table in the middle of a room with a TV with front inputs and a clock with milliseconds and nothing else but a power strip on the floor that the PS3, TV and clock are plugged into and some people will still call it fake

also they should produce their long-form hawaiian birth certificate, and none of those crafty kenyan forgery certificates of live birth either!

gcubed

cyberheater said:

that would be the hope

noah111

Still Alive
Soo.. What the fucks going on in here now? Thread sure blewup. Anyone care to give a bulletpoint rundown of what's developed exactly? I'm sure others would appreciate it as well.

gcubed said:
dont understand it really. Lets pay 299 for a new console, 100 for a new huge hard drive, and 130 for this, just so i can play something i didnt really want to play for half the price because "it couldn't load a game off of the hard drive"
They already have a PS3, $130 for unlimited free games, kabam. What's so hard to understand?

Lucc

i have no clue how this works and i'm not interested in playing backup games or anything like that.

but i have a question.

i live in europe and my blu-ray region sucks. in theory, is it possible to avoid the regional code of a movie Blu-Ray with this?

that means loading region 1 blu-rays?

whitehawk

Banned
Well I got to say, the PS3 lasted a long time before being hacked, 3.5 years. Pretty impressive. I don't think the PS3 even lasted one year.

DieH@rd

Banned
OK with my 4mbit flat rate DSL [no limits] i can download... 1020GB each month.

Its a good thing then that i dont have a ps3. :D

BishopLamont said:
They already have a PS3, $130 for unlimited free games, kabam. What's so hard to understand?
He was referencing the guy who didn't have a PS3 and stated he would buy one if this was legit. Said user is now banned.

Boney

Banned
Momo said:
You're French arent you? :lol

The grammar of your post makes it sound like you want to pirate :lol
He's Chilean, and boy do we love our free stuff here.

Might've not meant it that way, but yeah..

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Momo said:
Since there is no openPS3 SDK either (yet), once someone compiles ps3 homebrew, it would technically be illegal since it can only have been compiled by a pirated Sony SDK I would think.
Wouldn't that make the compiler the one who was breaking the law? Or does the act of compilation introduce copyrighted code into the final executable/whatever? Even in that case would it be illegal to be in possession of a compiled piece of code because it was unauthorized, or would it just make it illegal to sell it?

Zapages

I have PSP games (UMD) that I bought a while back but no PSP, money is the issue... Thinking of getting a PSP in the future and then using Remote access to play PSP games through PS3 on my HDTV *that's legal right*? But if this works, I could possibly play them on the PS3? Or is just like you buy PSN PSP games just run them on your PS3 with having to worry about transferring them on to the PSP or memory stick. O_O

DieH@rd

Banned
Sentry said:
Soo.. What the fucks going on in here now? Thread sure blewup. Anyone care to give a bulletpoint rundown of what's developed exactly? I'm sure others would appreciate it as well.

Modchip works. It can transfer retail ps3 into debug ps3 mode and run any kind of unsigned code. PS3 = cracked.

Steve Youngblood said:
He was referencing the guy who didn't have a PS3 and stated he would buy one if this was legit. Said user is now banned.
Ok add another $299 which they would have to pay anyway to play the games they want, legit or not.

Danielsan

Man, on the one hand this really sucks (piracy on the PS3), on the other hand, emulating PSP games on the PS3 would be awesome. I'd love to play my Patapon games on the PS3.
I doubt I'll homebrew my PS3 any time soon though. Simply a too expensive piece of equipment to mess around with and I certainly don't want to risk anything happening to my account. I spend way too much on PSN games. :D

Top Bottom