• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

TUSR

Banned
I'm not sure if this was touched on, but is it legal to install games you own onto the console to play? Or does that come down to that you don't actually own the content, instead your 70$ is like a permanent rental fee from said developer. Much like the old SNES emulators, there was always a warning about playing games on it you already own the physical media for. Does it transfer over to the PS3 as well?

lethial said:
I wonder if the dongle has anything to prevent someone from dumping it and allowing it to be used on any USB stick\HD.
if it does, that protection won't last long. the price is too high to keep the mod community from releasing $50 variants. I expect we'll see them no later than mid September if this comes out in late August.

Alucrid

Banned
DieH@rd said:
Modchip works. It can transfer retail ps3 into debug ps3 mode and run any kind of unsigned code. PS3 = cracked.

Where the hell did this thing come from? Like, not even a year ago people were doctoring photos to make it look like they were to first to hack a PS3.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sentry said:
Soo.. What the fucks going on in here now? Thread sure blewup. Anyone care to give a bulletpoint rundown of what's developed exactly? I'm sure others would appreciate it as well.

Someone internally stole/sold a jigstick that Sony uses for service (put it into debug mode)
Stick was cloned
Someone wrote a game dumping application that runs on a debug PS3

Insert stick> PS3 enters debug mode> Dump games > Play

Sad times, I really thought Sony had cracked the piracy nut once and for all. I should've known better, but I'm an optimist.

I wonder if Nintendo are still confident about keeping the 3DS piracy free.

yurinka

Now that PS3 SKUs are getting really huge HDD, I think it's time that Sony develop an "install your BD games in your HDD" app, like MS did in 360.

Improving loading times is always great, and very much needed for certain games. But would be cool to do it in a legal way, keeping the piracy aside.

Diablohead said:
I forgot about that psp "emulator" or whatever it is running minis on the ps3, might get another ps1 on psp scenario lol.
I ripped some of my own old PS1 games and had fun with them in PSP using that.

I would love to rip my Peace Walker and play it in my PS3. It would be perfect if you were able to use your PSP save files (like you can do with Minis), and that you would be able to map PSP front buttons in the right nub.

Another idea that would be great to see from Sony in a future firmware update.

gcubed

Alucrid said:
Where the hell did this thing come from? Like, not even a year ago people were doctoring photos to make it look like they were to first to hack a PS3.

someone got their hands on the debug code and encryption key it seems. From the little leaks we have, it appears to be straight up Sony code

alr1ghtstart said:
Someone internally stole/sold a jigstick that Sony uses for service (put it into debug mode)
Stick was cloned

there really has to be something else beside just getting the stick and cloning it, otherwise it would have happened in the first week. The game dumping application is straight out of a test unit

Dead Man Typing said:
Sad times, I really thought Sony had cracked the piracy nut once and for all/ I should've known better, but I'm an optimist.

They have ninjas, 3DS will be fine. No internal staff is going to dare pull this kinda stunt.

Gomu Gomu said:
Whoa it works? I'm really interested to see Sony's move

Sony-Move.png

sorry, had to

edit: maybe we could put more info in the OP so people aren't confused and searching through this entire thread.

itxaka

Defeatist
bathala said:
So geomod only accomplish removing linux for everyone

well actually there are talks about the glitch thing of geohot being key in here, allowing the hackers to found what to do exactly to enable the debug mode easily.

I don't think it was as simple as plug dongle, get debug unit.

Adamm

alr1ghtstart said:
Stick was cloned

So the PS3 wasnt really "hacked" then?

Dead Man Typing said:
Sad times, I really thought Sony had cracked the piracy nut once and for all. I should've known better, but I'm an optimist.

THQ certainly thinks so.

Adamm said:
So the PS3 wasnt really "hacked" then?

That is correct, this is more...a work around.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Danielsan said:
Man, on the one hand this really sucks (piracy on the PS3), on the other hand, emulating PSP games on the PS3 would be awesome. I'd love to play my Patapon games on the PS3.
I doubt I'll homebrew my PS3 any time soon though. Simply a too expensive piece of equipment to mess around with and I certainly don't want to risk anything happening to my account. I spend way too much on PSN games. :D

You'd really want it on a separate machine. That would be kept offline.

That way your PSN account would be fine. Leave your old machine authorised, then just use your account on your new machine as normal. If your hacked machine is off the net there's no way to associate said hacking with your account.

But yeah, the entry price for this, to do it 'safely', would be - what - $400+ for a new machine + stick? I'd have to think carefully if it's gonna be worth it or not.
again, assuming the stick is legal

alr1ghtstart said:
Stick was cloned

oh wow. that sounds hella illegal.

now I see why people are saying no reputable company outside of China will sell these.

Sorry, Sony. :(

Man

mysticwhip said:
Can Sony fix this?
Seems like people who use these are cut off from using PSN, fw 3.42 (or whatever comes next) and future games (October and forward).
People who want to enjoy future PS3 games and online need a second console.

Dead Man Typing said:

Unfortunately you can't take the human element out of something like this, which will always lead to something happening in the end.

alr1ghtstart said:
Stick was cloned

Good ingredients for an action adventure movie based on true events! Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the Thief and Chow Yun-Fat as Kaz Hirai!

gcubed

Man said:
Seems like people who use these are cut off from using PSN, fw 3.42 (or whatever comes next) and future games (October and forward).
People who want to enjoy future PS3 games and online need a second console.

eh, once you can run code, there will be ways around the fw restrictions in games

gofreak said:
But yeah, the entry price for this, to do it 'safely', would be - what - $400+ for a new machine + stick? I'd have to think carefully if it's gonna be worth it or not.
I'd imagine the market for used PS3s is about to get a bit of a boost.

You can always be sure there will be bannings when a piracy thread comes around. Oh well, it took 3 and something years for it to finally be cracked so you gotta give PS3 credit.

Momo

Banned
Boney said:
He's Chilean, and boy do we love our free stuff here.

Might've not meant it that way, but yeah..
That post was just way too "what the hell" I blame his grammar :lol

poppabk said:
Wouldn't that make the compiler the one who was breaking the law? Or does the act of compilation introduce copyrighted code into the final executable/whatever? Even in that case would it be illegal to be in possession of a compiled piece of code because it was unauthorized, or would it just make it illegal to sell it?
I'd think the person who compiles the code + the distributors would be the guys with their heads on the chopping block. I'm not too sure about the legality of the single end user of the app, but I suspect they would be let off.

gofreak said:
You'd really want it on a separate machine. That would be kept offline.

That way your PSN account would be fine. Leave your old machine authorised, then just use your account on your new machine as normal. If your hacked machine is off the net there's no way to associate said hacking with your account.

But every new game could simply execute code saying "We need firmware library version 3.55" which could simply be an encrypted "Hello there" response from the firmware.

Basically, unless a powerful mod scene happens which has the resources to constantly Break the protection between Game & Console then this will NOT work for any new software.

The PSP does not have enough power for heavy encryption so that is one thing but the Cell dedicates an entire SPU for it. Its simply NOT going to be easy to keep up with Sony.

Basically, they simply have to make sure its hard enough to break the authentication on new software for 1-2 years.

(Granted old software which was never patched or updated would not have any such protection)

Aeana

Boney said:
How long did it took to crack the GC?
A modchip for the GC didn't show up until the end of its life, but ISOs could be played via the Phantasy Star Online exploit much earlier than that, I think.

DieH@rd

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
oh wow. that sounds hella illegal.

now I see why people are saying no reputable company outside of China will sell these.

Sorry, Sony. :(

USB Stick is maybe piracy free. All the illegal stuff is in the package that can be downloaded from the web.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
This will be dead and gone with the next firmware update.

Sony, just give us an option to install games on the HDD like the 360.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looking forward to seeing some new PS3 homebrew demos on youtube. I hope someone ports the original quake demo pretty soon.

One other thing. Does PS3 use opengl for it's graphics or is it proprietary in house solution.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
alr1ghtstart said:
Stick was cloned

The sticks they use in the repair centres connect to a PC via USB which in turn connects to Sony's Servers via VPN, which then issues a challenge/response.

If they where to clone a "jigkick", they would also need to clone the authentication method as well, also I believe the service centre jigkicks only put the PS3's into Service Mode, not debug mode

Man

cyberheater said:
One other thing. Does PS3 use opengl for it's graphics or is it proprietary in house solution.
I think most use cg which is a Nvidia language (which started off as a Nvidia/Microsoft cooperation on PC).
I believe most devs don't use OpenGL because performance is not all that (though they might use a wrapper).

Or you can just do it Naughty Dog style and do assembly.
Well, partially.

alr1ghtstart said:
Hello 360 controller on PS3. It'll probably be the first thing coded. :lol
You also forgot to add in a cheat engine like script for auto fire in MW2 :p

I remember some front end on a modded xbox could run cheats similar to a game genie or action replay by using address value changes, no idea if anyone ever ran them online back in the xbox days.

The Faceless Master said:
someone could post a video from 4 different angles (front, right, left/back diagonal and overhead) of a PS3 on a glass table in the middle of a room with a TV with front inputs and a clock with milliseconds and nothing else but a power strip on the floor that the PS3, TV and clock are plugged into and some people will still call it fake
Hacked TV with video player hidden inside the case.

People will call it faked, because it's very easy to fake that shit, and there's money to be made from faking it.

Zapages

The Faceless Master said:
the answer seems to be: you have to HARD POWER ON to activate it. this lends more credence to the jigkick/pandora scenario.

instructions1.jpg

WTF? That makes it sound you can do it now if you downloaded the package... Not going to try, PS3 is too expensive to do it on and I like playing online with my friends and fellow GAFers.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Man said:
I think most use cg which is a Nvidia language (which started off as a Nvidia/Microsoft cooperation on PC).
I believe most devs don't use OpenGL because performance is not all that (though they might use a wrapper).

Or you can just do it Naughty Dog style and do assembly.
Well, partially.

Thanks. So opengl might be possible from a bedroom coders point of view.

Adamm

inpHilltr8r said:
Hacked TV with video player hidden inside the case.

People will call it faked, because it's very easy to fake that shit, and there's money to be made from faking it.

New TVs can play Videos from a usb drive :lol

Easily done

Tigletx

Banned
if this works it will mean that playstation plus is pretty much useless or not? Because every 'early' demo etc will just be put online?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
UntoldDreams said:
But every new game could simply execute code saying "We need firmware library version 3.55" which could simply be an encrypted "Hello there" response from the firmware.

Basically, unless a powerful mod scene happens which has the resources to constantly Break the protection between Game & Console then this will NOT work for any new software

That's the assumption, that - and PSN access etc. etc. - is why you'd probably want a separate box for this. Your regular box could keep you playing new games, online and all that.

Aeana

Zapages said:
WTF? That makes it sound you can do it now if you downloaded the package... Not going to try, PS3 is too expensive to do it on and I like playing online with my friends and fellow GAFers.
No, it says you need to insert the PSJailbreak hardware at a specific point. You can't do it without that.

Very interesting post. What I would hope comes out of this is Sony adds the ability to backup my PS3 games to the HDD like the Xbox. I would love to put all the lego games directly on the drive so it's easy for my kids to play. Also it might just save my drive from dying.

Zapages said:

What no it doesn't. You specifically need the USB Dongle to get access to the Install Package files option on the XMB.

Top Bottom