• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

tass0

Banned
<@Mathieulh> well i got the package running
<@Mathieulh> and it does copy games
<iLLNESS> he has it running on a dev unit :eek:
<@Mathieulh> but it does not run the backups xD
<Malk1th> lol
<@Mathieulh> at least not here

yup, most likely a fake.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
D4Danger said:
I hacked the PS3 this morning. I'll make a video of me holding a USB key to prove it.
Came to post this.

Clipper

Well, if it is working, Sony nearly managed to last 4 years, which is a pretty awesome record which nobody would have expected. Now Sony just have to make sure they start detecting a few of the idiots that start using this online so that it doesn't turn out like the PSP.

As for the device, I'm probably not going to get it. There's no way I'm risking getting my console banned, having bought Playstation Plus and so on. They could theoretically start building checks into games too, which means you can't earn trophies on your main account. It's a pity as I'd really love to have games like LBP playable at any time without having to switch the disc in (and I know I could just buy the online version, but I hate buying the same game twice).

Dai101

Banned
A new model announced:

0iBm2.jpg

EDIT: I just discover that i'm not a "junior" anymore. Yay or Nay?

I, for one, would be willing to give up my USB ports just knowing PS3 software would be safe from wicked pirates.

What I'm saying is, if you care about USB ports, you're 100% a pirate, so why should Sony care about you?

dangrib

from another thread

"rachet and clank is at 81%

if it works, everyone can shut up about it being fake, etc.
If its doesn't.....then....i dunno, ill hide for a while"
:lol :lol :lol

Momo

Banned
Hoping it's fake, I don't want to go through a bazillion firmware revisions as sony combats potential pirates as well as jump through new hoops to play games as I always do.

(I always fear the worst, Sony's going to make us play games with a needle stuck in our arm while the ps3 does genetic checks on us else it wont run) :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gravijah said:
That ethernet port seems unsafe... all those plugs... get rid of them all. Everything. Get rid of the HDD and blu ray drive, too. All potential holes!
It really does do everything!

-PXG-

Momo said:
Hoping it's fake, I don't want to go through a bazillion firmware revisions as sony combats potential pirates as well as jump through new hoops to play games as I always do.

(I always fear the worst, Sony's going to make play games with a needle stuck in our arm while the ps3 does genetic checks on us else it wont run) :(

Better edit that out before some Sony exec sees that and mentions it at their next board meeting.

Seriously though, piracy leads to DRM, which will lead to more piracy, and then more DRM, which leads to even more piracy. People should know by now that piracy has and always will win. It should be abundantly clear that DRM isn't a viable deterrent. Legal action won't do shit either, since anything that could potentially work, would breach one's privacy as well as all sorts of laws and constitutional amendment(s).

I'm not defending or encouraging piracy, but think about it. What's worse?

- Some college student downloading a game for personal use
- Some guy downloading a game, burns hundreds of copies to discs, and sells them out of the trunk of his car.

Borrowing a game from a friend for a week, playing it, and then returning it to said friend, is no different than pirating a game, playing it for a week, and then deleting it once you complete it. Both methods involve you playing the game for free. The developer/ publisher didn't make any money from you playing that game. No sale occurred. Hmmm...

Don't get me started on second hand games vs piracy. Again, not saying you should pirate shit. All I'm saying is that people are quick to blow it out of proportion and declare piracy as the most despicable act mankind has ever committed.

Chrange

Banned
Gravijah said:
That ethernet port seems unsafe... all those plugs... get rid of them all. Everything. Get rid of the HDD and blu ray drive, too. All potential holes!

Did a Google image search for 'black lump' to depict it and...wow....DO NOT DO THAT. Apparently it's a code word for hemorrhoids :lol

Rhindle

tass0 said:
<@Mathieulh> well i got the package running
<@Mathieulh> and it does copy games
<iLLNESS> he has it running on a dev unit :eek:
<@Mathieulh> but it does not run the backups xD
<Malk1th> lol
<@Mathieulh> at least not here
Yeah ... as expected, it's just a disk dump utility running in service mode.

Still, Sony probably WILL disable USB ports over this. :lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
D4Danger said:
you hacked it too?

I found it pretty simple once I figured out which hand to put the usb key in
Yep. Had to use the elusive FireWire-to-USB adaptor, though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Rhindle said:
Yeah ... as expected, it's just a disk dump utility running in service mode.

Still, Sony probably WILL disable USB ports over this. :lol
Or only enable them with a paid DLC 100kb unlockable! And then access will be restricted to only certain types of data transfers.

dangrib said:
from another thread

"rachet and clank is at 81%

if it works, everyone can shut up about it being fake, etc.
If its doesn't.....then....i dunno, ill hide for a while"
:lol :lol :lol

"Noone is saying its fake on WP, it's those asshats at Neogaf and other forums saying its fake. Read the link i gave you."

:lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dragona Akehi said:
NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF SONY'S FINANCIAL WELLBEING.
What, did they give you some stock in the company to make you stop causing an uproar over Blu-Ray regions?

Guyver

Gravijah said:

Like this??:D
0ibm2v2.jpg

Momo

Banned
-PXG- said:
Better edit that out before some Sony exec sees that and mentions it at their next board meeting.
1276505724942.png

Seriously though, piracy leads to DRM, which will lead to more piracy, and then more DRM, which leads to even more piracy. People should know by now that piracy has and always will win. It should be abundantly clear that DRM isn't a viable deterrent. Legal action won't do shit either, since anything that could potentially work, would breach one's privacy as well as all sorts of laws and constitutional amendment(s).

I'm not defending of encouraging piracy, but think about it. What's worse?

- Some college student downloading a game for persona use
- Some guy downloading a game, burns hundreds of copies to discs, and sells them out of the trunk of his car.
Ditto. I'd like it if Sony doesnt devote their entire R&D section to some horrible new DRM methods at the expense of actual firmware features.

Clipper

Guyver said:
Like this??:D
0ibm2v2.jpg
No, it still has WiFi, you could possibly download your games online. The only way to guarantee that it can't pirate games is to remove that power port!

Kudos for removal of the disc slot... I didn't notice it was missing at first :lol.

Vamphuntr

Clipper said:
No, it still has WiFi, you could possibly download your games online. The only way to guarantee that it can't pirate games is to remove that power port!

PSN+ users would love that so much.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If Mathieulh from that chat above confirmed it to be fake (to only copy but not run backups) then it's fake. That guy is supposed to be legit. This kind of scam was sold before as well, simply using some linux tool to make disc dumps

Clipper

Drkirby said:
Just replace the firmware with Pong, that will fix everything.
But what about those people that pirate Pong? Also, the homebrew guys will be interested. There has to be a way to make the paddles smaller!

onken

So it makes backups but can't play them? You could do that day-1 with a PC BD drive :lol

Chrange said:
They could probably stuff some piracy into the vent holes, those dirty pirates! Get rid of them too!

lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Clipper said:
But what about those people that pirate Pong? Also, the homebrew guys will be interested. There has to be a way to make the paddles smaller!
Don't worry, Pong is clearly freeware, you can't pirate freeware.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gravijah said:
Valve just trademarked Pong.
To be honest, Atari most likely still owns the trademark for Pong, but I find it doubtful they would win a case defending it, since its more or less become a Genericized trademark.

Guyver

Clipper said:

Kudos for removal of the disc slot... I didn't notice it was missing at first :lol.

Haha :D

There you go Pirate-proof!!
0ibm2v3.jpg

Top Bottom