• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

Boney

Banned
dangrib said:
jack-tretton-kaz-hirai.jpg
:lol

after reading more, has anyone with an actual dongle reported back after running a copy? it looks like the people who failed were uding dev systems and just downloaded the file from the website and weren't using the USB dongle.
onken said:
So it makes backups but can't play them? You could do that day-1 with a PC BD drive :lol
you could also do it on a PS3 in Linux

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ah I see, Mathieulh probably just tested their software installer, not the hardware dongle that's supposed to make the installed games run. So then it might work. But since it's just a USB dongle, it sounds like something that could be easily patched with firmware update.

The Faceless Mater, noone with dongle yet, these guys should post an update soon:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64935&page=2

so you don't need to buy a custom usb thumb drive? -_- I'm not going to try it anyway.

EDIT: so if you don't have the official dongle, it won't work? lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rhindle said:
Still, Sony probably WILL disable USB ports over this. :lol

No, they'll probably just change a port(s) bit inside the USB shit like they did the batteries for the "Pandora Battery" shit that happened for PSP-1000/2000's.

Faceless said:
you could also do it on a PS3 in Linux

NOT ANYMORE! */Sony*

Edit: In any case, calling bullshit until they provide proof of this shit and provide a way around Sony's firmwares.

It's like GeoHot all over again. Prove it or shut-up. Until you have proof, I don't want to hear this shit.

Chris R

So how long until people start accusing people who want one of these (assuming they work) of being dirty filthy pirates? Heck if the price is right I'd consider buying one of these just to eliminate disc swapping (though I'd have to go buy a new 500GB~1TB drive to hold all 20 of my PS3 games).

Lord Error said:
Ah I see, Mathieulh probably just tested their software installer, not the hardware dongle that's supposed to make the installed games run. So then it might work. But since it's just a USB dongle, it sounds like something that could be easily patched with firmware update.

The Faceless Mater, noone with dongle yet, these guys should post an update soon:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64935&page=2
what if it's accessing some sort of service mode like a Pandora Battery and is unstoppable on current units??? shit has happened before...

Rhindle

Originally Posted by Sony Computer Entertainment

It was come to our attention that the ps3's usb ports could potentially be use for piracy. To protect the consumer we have disabled the USB ports in the latest firmware update. Ps3 users can choose to buy a charge kit for there ps3 controllers for the cost of $70 if they wish to continue using there controllers after our optional yet required update
:lol

TheSeks said:
No, they'll probably just change a port(s) bit inside the USB shit like they did the batteries for the "Pandora Battery" shit that happened for PSP-1000/2000's.

NOT ANYMORE! */Sony*

Edit: In any case, calling bullshit until they provide proof of this shit and provide a way around Sony's firmwares.

It's like GeoHot all over again. Prove it or shut-up. Until you have proof, I don't want to hear this shit.
i dnno man, foundmy says "Yes, so it finally was made public...", things are not looking good...

bizatch

I predict Sony selling a lot more consoles if this is legit. I have a friend who is a dirty pirate, and he said that the only reason he isn't buying the triple is because of its unpiratableability (yes thats a word bros). har har *get it?*

shuri

Banned
a very shocking turn of events.. Those modchip sellers are rather known , I doubt they would gamble their creds away like that. 119$ is not a bad price for what it does.

KAL2006

Banned
rhfb said:
So how long until people start accusing people who want one of these (assuming they work) of being dirty filthy pirates? Heck if the price is right I'd consider buying one of these just to eliminate disc swapping (though I'd have to go buy a new 500GB~1TB drive to hold all 20 of my PS3 games).

expy

Banned
rhfb said:

It doesn't matter if you use it for legal backups or not, the "hack" or "mod" uses signed software from Sony SDKs, and it is illegal to distribute them without proper licenses (and I highly doubt these modders have them). So whether you use it for your own backups or not, it's still illegal.

hitsugi

bizatch said:
I predict Sony selling a lot more consoles if this is legit. I have a friend who is a dirty pirate, and he said that the only reason he isn't buying the triple is because of its unpiratableability (yes thats a word bros). har har *get it?*

a lot of people have dirty pirate friends, the thing is.. PS3 has Demon's Souls; and if that didn't sway them to buy the console, nothing will.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
i dnno man, foundmy says "Yes, so it finally was made public...", things are not looking good...

"Yes, so our bullshit lie was made public..."

Again, prove it. Ten second youtubes with the stick + a "dump" video is not proof. You can easily manipulate videos of "a disc different from the 'hardrive game'" video proof as well.

Give me indisputable proof and I'll believe it. Until then, this is GeoHot smoke up our asses again. That'll probably have have SCE issue a firmware update that does nothing except validate USB drives that aren't service mode USB drives that come from Sony themselves.

TheSeks said:
"Yes, so our bullshit lie was made public..."

Again, prove it. Ten second youtubes with the stick + a "dump" video is not proof. You can easily manipulate videos of "a disc different from the 'hardrive game'" video proof as well.

Give me indisputable proof and I'll believe it. Until then, this is GeoHot smoke up our asses again. That'll probably have have SCE issue a firmware update that does nothing except validate USB drives that aren't service mode USB drives that come from Sony themselves.
the thing here is these are reuptable (well, as reputable as the occupation can be) modchip resellers that sell boatlods of mods that have received these samples (or have advance knowledge in the case of foundmy) and there's money on the line, $119 USB dongles? cut the check.

bizatch

the anticipation is killing me. I hope this turns out to be real just so that I can finally play heavy rain and god of war 3, I mean so that I can errrr

I wonder if its real you guys!? :lol

tokkun

Wait, this thing costs $120?

Would like to get it to eliminate disc swapping, but that's too expensive to justify, not to mention the possibility of the same sort of firmware upgrade headaches I have to deal with on the PSP.

expy

Banned
Unless you can bypass firmware updates, this thing won't last very long, unless people keep their units offline forever.

bizatch said:
the anticipation is killing me. I hope this turns out to be real just so that I can finally play heavy rain and god of war 3, I mean so that I can errrr

I wonder if its real you guys!? :lol

hello friend

KAL2006

Banned
Im guessing he's going to record a video now of him booting a game from the hardrive, will wait for the youtube video

KAL2006 said:
Im guessing he's going to record a video now of him booting a game from the hardrive, will wait for the youtube video

He said earlier in that thread that he would post a video when it worked.

Clipper

Guys, seriously, watch out on the sarcastic jokes about being a pirate or calling potential users of PS Jailbreak pirates. If your sarcasm isn't detected, you could easily be banned.

Edit: Oops, too late...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It would be interesting to see if it sells.

Considering it's just a USB stick with software on it, how long until someone rips the software off and makes it free to use on any usb stick you want :lol

evlcookie said:
Considering it's just a USB stick with software on it, how long until someone rips the software off and makes it free to use on any usb stick you want :lol

I don't think we know this. It's my understanding that the actual program has leaked online, but without the dongle, it doesn't do more than let you backup blurays.

Top Bottom