• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

Im skeptical. I still think we are years if ever from seeing the PS3 hacked.

Whoever was in charge (I forgot her name) of the security when developing the PS3 is a genius. Next gen I can see none of the 3 consoles being hacked ever.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Clipper said:
Doesn't the full backup option backup your saves? I just thought you couldn't back them up separately?

And no, from what's been said here about it, you won't be able to do that yet.

The PS3 Backup Utility backup EVERYTHING, so you basically need a HDD that is bigger or about the same size the one you have. What is worse, is that you can only use this backup in the PS3 you did the backup from, so in other words... if my PS3 dies, I can only recover the PS3 saves that are not copyrighted, which are like 20% of the games I have. (been through this already) :mad:

And awwwww... this was my hope for backing up my copyrighted Savefiles. Buh!!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dragona Akehi said:
Actually it just uses Bannerbomb to load up the fan patch. It leaves nothing on the Wii for Nintendo to detect whatsoever.
So awesome.

Ideally I'd want that type of function on every console ever made.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, is this confirmed as legit?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
legend166 said:
Look for every game released from now on to have a 4GB file. Even if they don't need it.
What this does is probably creates iso out of multiple <4GB files. Like split RARs only with no compression.

Lord Error said:
That would be such a simple and elegant solution for this :lol

(since this is supposed to only back up to an external fat32 hdd)

Not if this is to stop pirates. A group can rip the useless file and just put out the release without it. Shit, groups were even downconverting video back in the day for Dreamcast rips.

-PXG- said:
So in other words, PS3 with the original FW can run homebrew apps? Nothing complex of course, but you can run custom apps on them? Wow.

To be clear you still have this option today by burning a BD-Java Disc.
Sony simply disabled running BD-Java applications from USB.

If you burn a blu-ray disc you can still make a BD-Java application with homebrew stuff.

All the interactive stuff & games on modern Blu-ray movies? You actually could do the same thing if you wanted to and had a blu-ray burner.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Ugh. This will undoubtedly be primarily used for piracy.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE all of my games on one hard drive for my Wii. But I'd venture to say that a good 80% of people use mods like this simply for piracy.

BocoDragon said:
So awesome.

Ideally I'd want that type of function on every console ever made.

It is pretty awesome. And for the longest time that's all you could do with Wii hacks, until HBC came along making it easier to load apps without having to load up Zelda or what have you.

Anyway, if this is a real working hack, I'm only going to be interested if it lets the PS3 run unsigned code, which would lead to apps like disabling region coding on DVDs and blurays. It all depends on what sort of jigkick stick this is. It may only apply to games, and while I'd be interested in maybe running my PS3 games from HDD (Demon Soul's loading is atrocious), it wouldn't be worth 120$.

Now, if it runs unsigned code, that amount of money is a steal.

I'm sure whatever is on that USB stick can be ripped and put on a regular one, unless there is some kind of special hardware inside...Some hacker will crack it and put it out online.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
legend166 said:
Look for every game released from now on to have a 4GB file. Even if they don't need it.

I bet game data files go well over 4 GB on most games already. Or some games. I dont know.

Clipper

BoboBrazil said:
I'm sure whatever is on that USB stick can be ripped and put on a regular one, unless there is some kind of special hardware inside...Some hacker will crack it and put it out online.
Read the thread. It's because people did this that the 2nd-3rd page is discussing reports of it failing.

Vamphuntr

BoboBrazil said:

Maybe... Depends what is on the stick. I know that some computer programs require a stick to run. When I was in Grad school we had a chemistry modelling program that required a company issued usb stick to run the installed program on the HDD. Copying the content to another didn't work.

:lol :lol :lol

they're getting 404 errors already, and the people in the thread are arguing over PS3 vs 360!

Afrikan said:
so if this was fake and were able to fool 1 mill item sales from people....they would make a KILLING!
yes, because people wouldn't file chargebacks... actually, on modchip sites, quite a few people buy their stuff, receive it, and file chargebacks anyway.

Afrikan

The Faceless Master said:
yes, because people wouldn't file chargebacks... actually, on modchip sites, quite a few people buy their stuff, receive it, and file chargebacks anyway.

well now...that is just unethical. smh.

Man

Since it's not a hack per say it will most likely be removed with the next fw update (3D blu-rays in September). Maybe they should have waited until straight after GT5 & COD7 (fw on disc) for max impact. People wanting to use it should keep current fw and not buy new games.

Vamphuntr

Do they only ship it to Canada or it auto detects my country? That site looks fake as hell even though the thing might be true.

Clipper

smokeymicpot said:
The guys who made this are gonna be making a lot of cash very soon.
There'll probably be clones out soon too from the other hacking groups once the hardware is reverse engineered. If the PS Jailbreak guys know what they are doing, they'll already have a huge shipment of premade devices ready to ship so they can maximise their profit before the price wars start.

More info:

1. FAT32 is currently supported. They are working on NTFS.

2. They recommend staying on current firmware and not updating until they have deemed it safe. The dongle is fully updatable.

3. Online play does work but they cannot guarantee that it will work with all future titles.

4. Final retail units are ready to ship.

NTFS would fix the 4 gig file problem.

Top Bottom