• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

KAL2006

Banned
evlcookie said:
It would be interesting to see if it sells.

Considering it's just a USB stick with software on it, how long until someone rips the software off and makes it free to use on any usb stick you want :lol

Obviously it will sell to a few people, that is why it is so expensive (to get a quick buck), but it will be no more than a week until a free hack is released for everyone

expy said:
Unless you can bypass firmware updates, this thing won't last very long, unless people keep their units offline forever.

Sony forced my hand into having a system that will never go online, so I'm afraid they're going to reap what they sow on this one.

Not to mention I fear the YLOD on my 60gig every time I power it on...$120 I'm sold.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Basileus777 said:
I don't think we know this. It's my understanding that the actual program has leaked online, but it doesn't do more than let you backup blurays without the dongle.

Well i think all he got in the mail was the usb stick and nothing else. Going by the video and information so far.

If you read that previous dev info it sounds like they could be using official sony SDK to get it going, which would be illegal in it's own right not including what this device actually does.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I hope this leads to me being able to play Tales of Vesperia PS3 in English...

expy

Banned
Peter.Simpson909 said:
Sony forced my hand into having a system that will never go online, so I'm afraid they're going to reap what they sow on this one.

Not to mention I fear the YLOD on my 60gig every time I power it on...$120 I'm sold.
How exactly will they reap?

BocoDragon said:
I hope this leads to me being able to play Tales of Vesperia PS3 in English...

o_O

-PXG-

I bet that little prick Geohot is gonna be pissed that someone else is gonna get the credit for "truly" cracking PS3.

expy

Banned
-PXG- said:
I bet that little prick Geohot is gonna be pissed that someone else is gonna get the credit for "truly" cracking PS3.

Geohot was looking at creating custom firmware and homebrew... All this thing does is back-up games and run them, no firmware at all.

The guy on psx-scene says it works. But only backs up legit copies of games to the hard drive right? It won't backup pirated copies to play.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
KAL2006 said:
what are you talking about, I thought PS3 is region free anyway

You mean I kept this Asian copy of Demon's Souls in shrink wrap all this time for nothing?!

BocoDragon

Gravijah said:
Just in case... Owning the original Japanese version, and loading a patched version with whatever this hack is.
BEST case scenario would be like that Fatal Frame 4 translation patch on Wii... you load the patch via USB, but it boots off the original disc.

Gravijah

BoboBrazil said:
The guy on psx-scene says it works. But only backs up legit copies of games to the hard drive right? It won't backup pirated copies to play.

How would it tell the difference once it's ripped?

BoboBrazil said:

No, that was someone else. He's claiming that he loaded and played a game with it.

KAL2006

Banned
One main thing I am wondering is if this hack allows unsigned code for homebrew, emulators and media center features.

Vamphuntr

Are the USB ports used for installing/running anything on the PS3 asides from the firmware updates you can put on a stick? Maybe they can kill the loading of stuff from a stick.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Wario64 said:
You mean I kept this Asian copy of Demon's Souls in shrink wrap all this time for nothing?!

:lol

Dude, didn't you get the memo? Demon's Soulsssssss got release in the USsssssssssssssssss! :lol

To be honest using a USB dongle is not as crazy since there admittedly IS executable code running from USB.

When Sony originally implemented Blu-ray playback they enabled USB drives to execute Java based applications (BD-Java). This ability to actually execute code was an inherent security risk and why they disabled its execution from USB drives in a later firmware update.

For a short period of time though the ps3 allowed you to write your own java based BD-Java programs on a USB stick and any PS3 system would execute the program.

The question I suppose is if there was some hole found which allowed them to execute code again with more recent firmware? Then they would actually need ANOTHER security hole where BD-Java was able to gain access to the main system and force execution of a non signed source (meaning a copied game).

There would of course be a dozen ways for Sony to plug the holes through firmware just as the 360 is capable of plugging holes.

Boney

Banned
BocoDragon said:
BEST case scenario would be like that Fatal Frame 4 translation patch on Wii... you load the patch via USB, but it boots off the original disc.
Doesn't it loads from the SD no hacks required? That's the case with the Brawl hacks at least.

Clipper

Gravijah said:
How would it tell the difference once it's ripped?
It would be awesome if it's like how the guy that's doing Gamecube USB Loading for the Wii is making it at the moment. It signs the content to your Wii so that it can only play rips made with the software and it won't rip backup discs.

expy said:
How exactly will they reap?

Not to open old wounds, but I'm never going to forgive them for retroactively removing features I paid for.

I had to buy another freaking PS3 so that I could play games online, AND use linux. I would buy one of these just because I know they wouldn't want me to.

That's what I'm getting at. I have a system that can never go online again. Might as well load it up with all my games.

-PXG-

UntoldDreams said:
To be honest using a USB dongle is not as crazy since there admittedly IS executable code running from USB.

When Sony originally implemented Blu-ray playback they enabled USB drives to execute Java based applications (BD-Java). This ability to actually execute code was an inherent security risk and why they disabled its execution from USB drives in a later firmware update.

For a short period of time though the ps3 allowed you to write your own java based BD-Java programs on a USB stick and any PS3 system would execute the program.

The question I suppose is if there was some hole found which allowed them to execute code again with more recent firmware? Then they would actually need ANOTHER security hole where BD-Java was able to gain access to the main system and force execution of a non signed source (meaning a copied game).

There would of course be a dozen ways for Sony to plug the holes through firmware just as the 360 is capable of plugging holes.

How the hell do you know something like that. God damn I feel stupid :lol

hitsugi

bizatch said:
the anticipation is killing me. I hope this turns out to be real just so that I can finally play heavy rain and god of war 3, I mean so that I can errrr

I wonder if its real you guys!? :lol

you just couldn't leave it alone...

who the fuck seriously wants to download bluray games in the first place? who WANTS this?!

Boney

Banned
Peter.Simpson909 said:
Not to open old wounds, but I'm never going to forgive them for retroactively removing features I paid for.

I had to buy another freaking PS3 so that I could play games online, AND use linux. I would buy one of these just because I know they wouldn't want me to.

That's what I'm getting at. I have a system that can never go online again. Might as well load it up with all my games.
That's not really smart though...

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
hitsugi said:

who the fuck seriously wants to download bluray games in the first place? who WANTS this?!

I just want to backup my copyright safe files without the need of doing a full HDD backup of my 200 GB HDD. If this does it, then that is awesome, because that way I won't feel that I lost all my safe files if my 60GB dies. =(

*knocks wood*

it will be on youtube so you can watch it in any res

but it was filmed in 1080p hence the size

im talking to the developer now
it will work with every game that doesnt have a single file in there that is over 4gb in size

this is because you need a Fat32 harddrive

I don't imagine there are any games with a single file over 4 gigs. Unless there is a long 1080p video file in FF13 or something....

-PXG- said:
How the hell do you know something like that. God damn I feel stupid :lol

I have been a dev for like 20 years. This includes some BD-Java work a few years ago with believe it or not Cisco Systems. Anyways, I was mystified that the PS3 let me execute BD-Java apps directly from USB stick. (There are some sites on the internet that talk about it I am not alone)

I kept that PS3 and have never updated the firmware on it to this very day so I can still develop BD-Java apps if I feel like it. The only issue is that I have to burn discs to execute them instead of using USB Memory stick on other modern PS3's.

KAL2006

Banned
hitsugi said:

actually there are mny pirates who download huge files, I know someone at work who downloads 1080p HD movies that are around 15GB. He says it only takes him 1 night to do this (i dont know what internet speed he has).

Clipper

-DarKaoZ- said:
I just want to backup my copyright safe files without the need of doing a full HDD backup of my 200 GB HDD. If this does it, then that is awesome, because that way I won't feel that I lost all my safe files if my 60GB dies. =(

*knocks wood*
Doesn't the full backup option backup your saves? I just thought you couldn't back them up separately?

And no, from what's been said here about it, you won't be able to do that yet.

BocoDragon

Boney said:
Doesn't it loads from the SD no hacks required? That's the case with the Brawl hacks at least.
Yup.

I think behind the scenes it is "hacking" your Wii just as much as installing the Homebrew Channel... but since you don't actually have to take those steps it feels really legit.

I love fan translation patches... but I hate having to deal with burned discs, hard drives, flashcarts... I want to pick up the legit Japanese release and actually use the real disc.

Beth Cyra

hitsugi said:

Eh I will often feel like playing a game but then it will fade real quick. After several years I have actually not played alot because I just guess I won't play long anyway and say forget about it.

Wii's USB loader and keeping my games that I buy on my memory stick for my PSP keep me playing despite this weird habbit of mine because now I can play a match or two of Dissidia and then move over and play something else. Same with the Wii, load up a few matches of Smash, grab a star or two in Galaxy and then play a little bit in Silent Hill SM.

So I can see why this would be useful for gamers like me who have a decent libray size of PS3 games.

That and between certain elements of the werid install portions of MGS 4 this might make it so I would actually play the game again.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
$120 is too much money for something like this, especially when you know that every upgrade there's a huge chance it will stop working.

BocoDragon said:
Yup.

I think behind the scenes it is "hacking" your Wii just as much as installing the Homebrew Channel... but since you don't actually have to take those steps it feels really legit.

I love fan translation patches... but I hate having to deal with burned discs, hard drives, flashcarts... I want to pick up the legit Japanese release and actually use the real disc.

Actually it just uses Bannerbomb to load up the fan patch. It leaves nothing on the Wii for Nintendo to detect whatsoever.

-PXG-

UntoldDreams said:
I have been a dev for like 20 years. This includes some BD-Java work a few years ago with believe it or not Cisco Systems. Anyways, I was mystified that the PS3 let me execute BD-Java apps directly from USB stick. (There are some sites on the internet that talk about it I am not alone)

I kept that PS3 and have never updated the firmware on it to this very day so I can still develop BD-Java apps if I feel like it. The only issue is that I have to burn discs to execute them instead of using USB Memory stick on other modern PS3's.

So in other words, PS3 with the original FW can run homebrew apps? Nothing complex of course, but you can run custom apps on them? Wow.

Top Bottom