• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 demo kiosks are starting to pop up at Gamestop & Best Buy

CSX

Came back from the store. Impressions typed from phone so sorry in advance...

1. Controller

I never had problems with controllers due to my small hands outside of the n64 and 3ds xl. Controller is nice and comfortable. Light on back wasn't reflecting on TV and I play farther away than the setup so I should be OK unless the light intensifies when its in a dark room.

2. The console

I and everyone around me went " wow its not that big at all" . Though the consoles on display are empty boxes. Games are running on Dev kits in locked compartments. Quitting a game to system menu takes a LONG TIME.

3. Games

Pinball - very Bright colors. Looks nice. I dig the reflections off the ball.

Knack - simple anD fun. Much longer demo than I thought. Challenge is completing the segments without ever getting hit. Uncontrollable camera and the frame rate once the battles involve big enemies bugged me. Love the lighting and colors.

FIFA 14 - didn't play only watched. Last time I played FIFA was 02 Lol. Grass lighting and animations are nice. Player models zoomed in are bad.

Contrast - shit kept crashing. Dude needed to reset the Dev kit Lol. Really interesting concept but floaty camera and controls

That's off top of my head. Need to eat dinner now lol

EDIT - Forgot to mention Octodad. This game is fukking hilarious. Had a smile on my face the whole time. People need to play this on the stations on yuor turn and just watch the reactions around you lololol

Kibbles

There's a Sony store nearish but it's not on listed in the OP site. Has anyone tried just going to a Sony Store even if it wasn't listed on the site? I suppose I can just call and see lol but just wondering

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
currently in New York for work and I thought OH NEAT I can try a ps4 and lord it over my peasant euro friends, but it appears there is not a single ps4 in the whole of manhattan?

Prelude.

What's the proprietary looking microUSB thing to the left of the headphone jack? Anyone know?

The charging dock port.

a06oo7.jpg

G_Berry

Banned
Came back from the store. Impressions typed from phone so sorry in advance...

1. Controller

I never had problems with controllers due to my small hands outside of the n64 and 3ds xl. Controller is nice and comfortable. Light on back wasn't reflecting on TV and I play farther away than the setup so I should be OK unless the light intensifies when its in a dark room.

2. The console

I and everyone around me went " wow its not that big at all" . Though the consoles on display are empty boxes. Games are running on Dev kits in locked compartments. Quitting a game to system menu takes a LONG TIME.

3. Games

Pinball - very Bright colors. Looks nice. I dig the reflections off the ball.

Knack - simple anD fun. Much longer demo than I thought. Challenge is completing the segments without ever getting hit. Uncontrollable camera and the frame rate once the battles involve big enemies bugged me. Love the lighting and colors.

FIFA 14 - didn't play only watched. Last time I played FIFA was 02 Lol. Grass lighting and animations are nice. Player models zoomed in are bad.

Contrast - shit kept crashing. Dude needed to reset the Dev kit Lol. Really interesting concept but floaty camera and controls

That's off top of my head. Need to eat dinner now lol

I hope its just the build they are using and not final. That YouTube link from the other day with those two annoying dudes showed knack freeze up and it looked like it took ages to recover back to the dash.

Ps4 has snap capabilities too if I'm not mistaken?

Loving these impressions! Hype levels are at Maximum!!

tusken77

I visited the Sony Store at Santa Monica Boulevard today, here are some pics that I took

1403090_10202298552609251_1803055387_o.jpg

1401195_10202298553609276_946607381_o.jpg

1277696_10202298553449272_2000648741_o.jpg

1397393_10202298553569275_1754363879_o.jpg

906424_10202298553929284_1131903851_o.jpg

1403702_10202298554169290_256165525_o.jpg

1397077_10202298554249292_417966115_o.jpg

965999_10202298554529299_857947197_o.jpg

1399785_10202298554929309_1726027380_o.jpg

1399719_10202298555169315_1770520023_o.jpg

920423_10202298555209316_1691937440_o.jpg

1403421_10202298555569325_1115473130_o.jpg

My two cents on the DualShock4, its an evolutionary innovation, love at first sight, the analog sticks, dpad, face buttons, shoulder buttons all felt great. The swiping and clicking of the touch pad felt nice. To all those of you who have it pre-ordered, you're going to instantly fall in love with the controller come Nov15th

Demo Impressions:-

Fifa14
> Didn't feel next gen worthy
> Visually underwhelming

Contrast
> Fascinating concept of using shadows that creates platforming fun and intriguing

Knack
> Game looked visually cute

Wonderful shots. Thanks!

CrisKre

Went to the one in santa monica. Left thoroughly unimpressed with the whole selection on games. Conflicted right now about my preorder even more. Ugh.

DarkWish

Went to the Pentagon City one today and it was underwhelming. Only thing I played was Knack and that demo was rather boring. There weren't any other games that really interested me. Most people there were also complaining about how they had a bad demo selection.

Having said that, the controller was pretty comfortable. I liked it. Had a nice weight to it and everything felt pretty good.

bob page

Went to the Pentagon City one today and it was underwhelming. Only thing I played was Knack and that demo was rather boring. There weren't any other games that really interested me. Most people there were also complaining about how they had a bad demo selection.

Having said that, the controller was pretty comfortable. I liked it. Had a nice weight to it and everything felt pretty good.

It really does seem counterproductive for Sony to schedule these playtests only to include demos for lackluster titles. Aren't these types of things supposed to showcase the console's power?

I sit exactly 8' eyeballs to screen surface from a 65" plasma and always in a very dark room. I can (at times) see the tiny red LED from the PS3 controller in my hand.
This issue isn't going to stop people buying PS4s but it IS going to piss people off.
Hell, I'm buying the damn camera and I don't want the blue bar on most of the time.

I predict that much like mobile phone screen protectors, you're going to see $3 inc shipping screen / covers pre-cut to the right shape on ebay pretty fucking quickly. Some may just tint it to be 50 / 80 / 90% darker, some may black it out completely.

In a pitch black room (or close to it) that thing is going to be way way way too bright for some of us.

It's not good on the eyes to be gaming in pitch black. Also, you sit level with your 65"? wut.

CSX

It really does seem counterproductive for Sony to schedule these playtests only to include demos for lackluster titles. Aren't these types of things supposed to showcase the console's power?
Not really. Store guys said they got lots of positive interest and asking of preordrs and release dates

wizzbang

Banned
It's not good on the eyes to be gaming in pitch black. Also, you sit level with your 65"? wut.

It's not pitch black but it's quite dark, also fuck my eyes, GAMING bro.
The Plasma is kind of following the opposite of the monitor rule, instead of my eyes lining up with 1/3 of the way down the screen, my eyes line up about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down.

8' or about 2.5 metres.
This also means the controller, in my lap is about 1' closer to the screen too, like I said - I can see the red led from the PS3 controller.

wizzbang

Banned
I'm honestly scared for your eyes if u play that close

I'm an ex PC gamer, I'm used to sitting 1.5' from a 30" display. I can't get fully into console gaming without a big, fuckoff crazy, beautiful immersive experience.

My 65" at that distance is similar to sitting about 2 to 2.5' from a 30" display on a PC, it's pretty great, very immersive. When I watch movies, it's like being at the cinema and according to the whole THX bullshit chart thing, I'm right on the border of 1080p being fully utilised and starting to see 4k benefit. (which shows you, just how fucking stupid 4k TV's are - since most people will be sitting 50 to 150% further away than me)

Honestly, if I could do 90" at that range, I would.

Iacobellis

I hope its just the build they are using and not final. That YouTube link from the other day with those two annoying dudes showed knack freeze up and it looked like it took ages to recover back to the dash.

Ps4 has snap capabilities too if I'm not mistaken?

Loving these impressions! Hype levels are at Maximum!!

Have a link to this video?

CSX

I'm an ex PC gamer, I'm used to sitting 1.5' from a 30" display. I can't get fully into console gaming without a big, fuckoff crazy, beautiful immersive experience.

My 65" at that distance is similar to sitting about 2 to 2.5' from a 30" display on a PC, it's pretty great, very immersive. When I watch movies, it's like being at the cinema and according to the whole THX bullshit chart thing, I'm right on the border of 1080p being fully utilised and starting to see 4k benefit. (which shows you, just how fucking stupid 4k TV's are - since most people will be sitting 50 to 150% further away than me)

Honestly, if I could do 90" at that range, I would.
UST resist urge to avatar quote :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I thought the only reason people would put TV above their sitting height was because they had no better place where to put it. I really don't like craning my neck up to look at the tv screen.

wizzbang

Banned
Controller -------> Open laptop -------> TV
Couch................Coffee Table..............

I'm not sure I'm reading you here, I take it you're saying I should have something between by lap where the controller is and the TV?

I thought the only reason people would put TV above their sitting height was because they had no better place where to put it. I really don't like craning my neck up to look at the tv screen.

It's only very marignally higher - like being at the movies - it also makes it feel larger.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Games are running on Dev kits in locked compartments. Quitting a game to system menu takes a LONG TIME.
Wow, seriously? I hope it's just because it's a devkit. Getting out of the game on Vita is literally instant, and it looked to be the same on PS4 from some of the UI videos I've seen. What exactly happens when you press the PS button on the kiosk? Does it exit to an actual system menu, or some specially prepared app that lets you launch different demos.

wizzbang

Banned
Yes, like this. The laptop screen would block the light

No coffee table at the moment (it's such a small space to try and fit one!) but I figure stickytape is going to be my solution or some black contact material that kids use to laminate their books

Gestault

The light on the DS4 isn't even as close to an issue as the XB1 DRM policies were. Comparing the two things is laughable.

You're one of the few people this is going to affect. So complaining about this isn't going to change anything. But I guess if you must buy a PS4, I'd suggest you buy this with it this:

His point was that people complaining about something that bothered them got it changed. This had nothing to do with a "vs" mentality. When the solution is as simple as a firmware update, complaining is the right thing to do.

UNCMark

Banned
Wow, seriously? I hope it's just because it's a devkit. Getting out of the game on Vita is literally instant, and it looked to be the same on PS4 from some of the UI videos I've seen. What exactly happens when you press the PS button on the kiosk?

His comment is consistent with pretty much everyone else that did this. Has to be old code. As Albert said in the Xbox One tour thread, it's good to have them out in the wild but also frustrating knowing that people are judging code (games and OS) that isn't final.

Shadownet

Banned
I just got back a couple hours ago from my local Sony Store. I went with a friend, had to drive 30 mins to get there.

1) Controller: it feel solid and heavy in your hands, but in a good way. Triggers are nice and responsive, I'm glad that it curve outward now. Face buttons and D-pad feel more solid than the current DS3 not loose. And don't get me started on the joy sticks. It feel so nice, love the indent on them, keep your thumbs from sliding around, and yes they do feel tighter than the DS3. Something bad I noticed is that the controller is sorta scratched up already. So either people haven't been very careful with it or it's very easily damaged. And it was dirty too.

2) Console: was locked behind a glass case, the odd thing is that it didn't look like the blue light wasn't on.. So either it's just a display and they're running it off a PC in the back or they disabled the light. Size wise in person it look wider than the PS3 but shorter and slimmer. I love it.

3) Games: the only one I got to play was Knack, and while there was some frame rate issue, the game look beautiful. It was a lot more fun than I thought, definitely make me consider buying it.

4) User Interface: it might just be a demo interface but it look slick and a bit like the Xbox 360 interface right now but just playstation colors.

Overall impression: I love it, I cannot wait to get mine come 15th of November.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
His comment is consistent with pretty much everyone else that did this. Has to be old code. As Albert said in the Xbox One tour thread, it's good to have them out in the wild but also frustrating knowing that people are judging code (games and OS) that isn't final.
I'm curious if on these kiosks you can even exit to a real OS, or if it exists to some custom made demo launcher, like the Wii U kiosk.

CSX

I'm curious if on these kiosks you can even exit to a real OS, or if it exists to some custom made demo launcher, like the Wii U kiosk.

Its definitely the OS set to demo station mode just like any kiosk in a store. You can only access demos and trailers.

Went to the Palo Alto Sony Store

Tried out Knack and Octodad

The new Dualshock controller is very very nice, triggers are certainly improved, touchpad is cool, ergonomics seems improved too, analog sticks are now concave a bit so handling them is improved

Knack was more fun than I thought it would be, although if the camera is locked like I think it is that's a tad annoying

Octodad was quite funny. You can't play it seriously and expect to have fun but it really is very whimsical

Would've played more games but place got mobbed by lots of little kids and I felt they should play it more. I already know what I'm getting after all :)

Also the Palo Alto shopping center has a Microsoft store as well and figured I'd see if an XB1 was being demoed. It's not. Guys in the MS store didn't know when it would be demoed either though. To be fair the sony sales people have no idea on PS4 stuff either and I had to correct them a couple of times when they told other people incorrect info

Five

Banned

No, it's just a demo OS. It's less like the PS3 demo OS and more like the X360 and Wii U demos.

It doesn't run anything in parallel, and the only evidence of social or user data is with dummied content in the Knack demo, which I'm not even convinced actually pulled anything from the OS since your name was "You" and all of your friends were Kratos, Nathan Drake and gang.

And when you pull out of a game, it does something that hasn't been shown in any of the videos of the real OS: it has to load all of the demo item icons (for trailers and demos and such), and shows a counter of how many items were loaded. That's why there are some reports of it taking a while to switch out of a game, because the OS didn't leave the main menu in memory, like a worse version of the PS3's XMB falling out of memory. The real OS isn't supposed to act like this.

Limited to 10 mins before giving g up yo next person in line. Line averaged 0-3 people per station in my store
Thanks. Not sure if I want to go into Philly just to wait in a line for an hour to play Knack for 10 minutes. Guess I'll wait a week or so until one comes out to me.

Ploid 3.0

My sister lives in Texas, today she called me up and told me she played PS4 lol. She's not a gamer and explained that it was like she was controlling real people (guessing she meant FIFA, it looks pretty real on PS2 at first sight back in the day). She really liked it, which is strange to me, though she did grow up playing games with me and my brother, she hasn't cared about them for a while lately.

CSX

Thanks. Not sure if I want to go into Philly just to wait in a line for an hour to play Knack for 10 minutes. Guess I'll wait a week or so until one comes out to me.

You can be lucky/a dick and pray there isnt a person working in a store thats watching the time limits. Only one lady in my store was making sure people were taking turns.

Ploid 3.0

I will self manufacture a cloth with rubber bands on each side that covers the light and sell them as DS4 accessories. Not really but there seem to be a market, tape leaves undesired residue, my imaginary product solves that.

Top Bottom