• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 demo kiosks are starting to pop up at Gamestop & Best Buy

I've controlled every controller with sticks that I've ever used by having the center of my thumbs (like the...top part. Where the thumb print is) on the center of the sticks. And believe me, I am not the only one. I doubt I'm even the minority.

I do the same damn thing too, I would that that would be the common way to hold it.

UNCMark

Banned
I'm not even that dramatic. My thumb is further back (to the left for these pictures) than this guy's is and my thumbs still touch sometimes.

When I was seeing people say they use their tips, I imagined literally the tips with the nail possibly touching the top of the controller. Apparently "tip" is referring to the fingerprint/pad portion of the finger. So hurray I'm normal. Now I can point fingers and laugh at the freaks.

Ashes

Banned
Seriously, how can people play like this?

wtf.png

If you watch the video, he says that he is deliberately exaggerating, to address the issue of proximity between the sticks in ds3. That is to say even if you really go for it, your thumbs on the ds4 barely touch.

RedAssedApe

Banned
my thumbs are bent a lot more than any of these pics. how do people move the sticks effectively without bending their thumbs? :)

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I'm not even that dramatic. My thumb is further back (to the left for these pictures) than this guy's is and my thumbs still touch sometimes.

Yup! People have different sized hands. my hands are big, I found the dualshock 3 annoying as hell on occasion. thumbs slipping off etc

Everyone keeps talking about the PS4s being empty shells and the loadtimes when leaving a game took forever. It would be interesting to find out if these games were all being loaded remotely. Gaikai test-drive.

About the load times…it was only when backing out from playing a game and going back to the main PS4 interface that there were any major load times. Starting a game from the menu itself was actually pretty quick.

That being said, that would be awesome if this was a secret Gakai test drive, but I think we would notice a lot more lag, problems or just general clues that would give it away.

About the load times…it was only when backing out from playing a game and going back to the main PS4 interface that there were any major load times. Starting a game from the menu itself was actually pretty quick.

That being said, that would be awesome if this was a secret Gakai test drive, but I think we would notice a lot more lag, problems or just general clues that would give it away.

This loading thingie is more of a demo kit thing! This shouldn't be an issue in our retail units!

If you watch the video, he says that he is deliberately exaggerating, to address the issue of proximity between the sticks in ds3. That is to say even if you really go for it, your thumbs on the ds4 barely touch.

If your thumbs are touching, even on the ds3 which is an awful controller, you're holding it wrong

Giggzy

Any way to test if it's a Gaikai test run? I'll be heading over to the Sony store in a couple hours to finally get my hands on the DS4. I've been swaying back and forth on my Xbox/PS4 preorder so I'm hoping today can give me my conclusion!

jwk94

Any way to test if it's a Gaikai test run? I'll be heading over to the Sony store in a couple hours to finally get my hands on the DS4. I've been swaying back and forth on my Xbox/PS4 preorder so I'm hoping today can give me my conclusion!
Unplug their wifi or just ask.

It's the Dual Shock 3 mushy version. Not the Vita clicky.

darn, vita d-pad would have been nice. Thanks.

How do these not exist in Dallas? Also, still can't believe Sony picked such horrible games to show off the console. You show off graphics to sell new consoles. They should know that.

How do these not exist in Dallas? Also, still can't believe Sony picked such horrible games to show off the console. You show off graphics to sell new consoles. They should know that.

I know. I'm getting the system regardless but someone off the street trying out the system needs something eye catching. Like resogun at least or even drive club if they can get a demo out somehow

brigadeer

Isn't there a Sony Style store at the Dallas Galleria mall? I was thinking about hitting it on my way home from work sometime this week.

Surely they would have one right?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I know. I'm getting the system regardless but someone off the street trying out the system needs something eye catching. Like resogun at least or even drive club if they can get a demo out somehow

Well, DriveClub obviously isn't ready for public hands-on but Resogun would have been a nice idea. Too bad they couldn't work with 2K to get an NBA demo out there because that probably would have melted faces.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I do the same damn thing too, I would that that would be the common way to hold it.

Perhaps.

But I tend to work on the edge of the thumbstick rather than having the thumb sit flat on it and I am ecstatic both Sony and MS have finally acknowledged this mode with their new stick designs.

Specially MS with that textured edge.

Well, DriveClub obviously isn't ready for public hands-on but Resogun would have been a nice idea. Too bad they couldn't work with 2K to get an NBA demo out there because that probably would have melted faces.

Gran Turismo 5 prologue demo was out around launch of ps3 but the game didn't come out for another year at least. I think it would help playstation a lot if they had a driving game on demo at least. Of course the game isn't ready but if it's doable then I hope they do it

Edit: even Motorstorm demos were on the kiosks for the ps3 launch and that game didn't come out until a couple of months later.

Seriously, how can people play like this?

wtf.png

Ha. I really like the spacing of the sticks now. My hands don't feel uncomfortably close together, nor do I feel like I'm over rotating my wrist to reach them. I actually liked the gritty feel of the DS3 sticks, but the shape of the DS4 is clearly better for grip and precision. I really like the trigger resistance and the bumpers are well sized. Rest of the pad feels the same, except for the trackpad. The textures grid on the back is so subtle I didn't even really notice it.

falconbox

Banned
Pictures like this are what put into perspective why some people are uncomfortable using symmetrical sticks. They're just plain holding the controller wrong.

Maybe, but I hold the controller how I feel it is comfortable. I'd much rather hold it in my entire palms to get a good grip, like I do with the Xbox controller, than to cradle it in the inside of my knuckles as I've had to do with the DS2 and DS3. I always felt like it would slip out. That said, I'm so glad the handles are larger on the DS4. Can't wait to try it out.

One part in the video was about thumbs touching on the DS3. When I use mine (and any other controller, mind you) I only use the tip of my thumbs. I've seen videos (like this) where people use the joints of their thumbs. No wonder I've never had my thumbs touch on DS3. Am I in the minority here, or what? I tried it out and it just feels bizarre to me using my thumbsticks with the joints in my thumbs. I wonder if the people that complain about their thumbs touching hold it that way.

I use the tips on the DS3, joints on the 360. Have no preference either way and naturally adapt to either controller without thinking. Ive always found these controller debates rather stupid. The only issue ive ever had with the two was with a 360 dpad, but there are plenty of aftermarket soultions available.

Basing your console preference on the controller has always been foolish practise in my eyes.

Milennia

The most important change is how u hold the controller. With a more ergonomic grip you're thumbs should rest comfortable on the sticks and your fingers on the triggers. When I hold the 360 controller my index fingers naturally rest on the triggers.

The first thing i noticed was the fact that i had to move my fingers down a bit, like holding the DS3 triggers but slightly raised.

Not a big complaint but i did notice it.

Anyone know how old these builds are for the kiosk's?

The Knack one looks super old, as in the same as the very first playable demo that was ever shown. Someone noted that the demo even has frame rate stuttering at the same spots too.

I think they just put whatever was easily available onto these units to hurry and get them into stores. They'll likely update them as soon as they receive final builds of launch game demos later this month.

LegoDad

The worst part about the demo setup is they are running the TV's on Vivid mode and standard scene mode. They need to be in Game mode... the W802's are great TV's, but you make it look like crap when you don't set it up right.

The first thing i noticed was the fact that i had to move my fingers down a bit, like holding the DS3 triggers but slightly raised.

Not a big complaint but i did notice it.

As long as it's comfortable after a few hours it shouldn't be an issue. For me, the biggest distraction in playing games with the DS3 is that once I'm really into a game and I'm playing for a few hours, my hands start hurting so I'm constantly distracted by that. Hope the DS4 is better in that regard. It helps that it doesn't have edges

The worst part about the demo setup is they are running the TV's on Vivid mode and standard scene mode. They need to be in Game mode... the W802's are great TV's, but you make it look like crap when you don't set it up right.

It amazes me how often this happens. If I were you i'd try to change the settings lol

Milennia

As long as it's comfortable after a few hours it shouldn't be an issue. For me, the biggest distraction in playing games with the DS3 is that once I'm really into a game and I'm playing for a few hours, my hands start hurting so I'm constantly distracted by that. Hope the DS4 is better in that regard. It helps that it doesn't have edges

It amazes me how often this happens. If I were you i'd try to change the settings lol

The grips feel very similar to the 360 grips when it comes to long play sessions, i played for 2 hours straight, on the ds3 after 1 hour my hands would either sweat a bit because of the texture or just get uncomfortable because my big monster hands didnt fit well with the controller, with the ds4 i had not a hint of these issues, just like the 360 pad where i could play for basically an entire day and feel fine, i feel the ds4 is either just as good in that regard, if not it feels better.

LegoDad

I actually changed the settings, and everyone playing the kiosk could tell the difference, but the Sony guys were pissed cause they have to change it back.

So I asked the folks at the Sony store here in LA why aren't they demo-ing hardcore games like KZ:S, ACIV etc. Due to age restrictions they are asked to strictly show E+ content. Apparently parents of young children had made a lot complaints after seeing violent fps games in public places.

I managed to record Knack+Fifa14 & Contrast gameplay at the Sony store earlier today. Check it out people, plus some more snaps I took comparing the size of DS4 and DS3. Many thanks to David Rodriguez of 'StuffWeLike' who happened to be there with a DS3 controller for making a comparison video.

1026275_10202318922358482_221752305_o.jpg

1277336_10202318922398483_53478116_o.jpg

1398357_10202318925798568_1704296912_o.jpg

976083_10202318926678590_1707420934_o.jpg

1398786_10202318925598563_1241390827_o.jpg

1401291_10202318925638564_286833805_o.jpg

1401773_10202318925158552_1880661717_o.jpg

So I asked the folks at the Sony store here in LA why aren't they demo-ing hardcore games like KZ:S, ACIV etc. Due to age restrictions they are asked to strictly show E+ content. Apparently parents of young children before I had make complaints after seeing violent fps games in public places.

Yep at mine one of the reps told how difficult it was to demo modern warfare 2 back in the day

Had to have a special curtained off section and check ages

Top Bottom