• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 demo kiosks are starting to pop up at Gamestop & Best Buy

Timu

The interactive display is the kiosk in the OP while the exclusive experience is the Canadian pop up stores with Killzone and AC4 demos.

MGLrdSr.jpg
Ugh, I want to play Killzone!

cakefoo

BEST BUY 1002
1900 E RIO SALADO PKWY STE 180 TEMPE AZ 85281
480-303-7251

Site says it's there, phone rep says it's not. :/

I have visited a couple of these Kiosks, something that caught my eye in this video. At 1:05 it shows the PS4 games, then he scrolls down to show PS3 games which include GT6, Beyond Two Souls. Are these the games we can download on the PS4? Or Perhaps just simply purchasing this title on the PS4 then playing it on the PS3? It even has another scroll lower than the PS3 games, perhaps PS2 or Vita titles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-xEAQ_9Ng

Valnen

So my local Gamestop claimed they got a kiosk but it was DoA and they needed a new one. They're not on the map though, so were they lying?

I have visited a couple of these Kiosks, something that caught my eye in this video. At 1:05 it shows the PS4 games, then he scrolls down to show PS3 games which include GT6, Beyond Two Souls. Are these the games we can download on the PS4? Or Perhaps just simply purchasing this title on the PS4 then playing it on the PS3? It even has another scroll lower than the PS3 games, perhaps PS2 or Vita titles?

No it's just showing the extended PS ecosystem

GT6 and Beyond are limited to PS3 until otherwise announced

Vita games are vita and vita tv only

Storm360

Anywhere else in the UK?

GAME in the Red Mall of the Metro Center are doing a lock-in, although not sure if the consoles will remain there after.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Probably PS3 trailers.

Flo_Evans

Kiosk impressions: Controller feels good. I think some may disappointed, hyperbole claiming it was the best controller ever made by some was a little over the top IMHO.

Security cable was way too short forcing you to stand inches from huge ass screen that didn't do the games any favors. Lame selection of games. Very slow to load exit games, feels like crap. Whoever was in charge of these kiosks should be fired.

So the Best Buy near me said they won't be putting up their demo units until AFTER launch. :mad:

But the Gamestop nearby said they're gonna start setting theirs up in the next few days, then teased that maybe they could be up in a few hours(a few hours ago).

Timu

My local Gamestop had one despite not being listed on that guide in the op, pics as well:

7c5e3f46_iKttkaQmkvwMG.jpeg

32683767_iyUV0oympiH2g.jpeg

58a6357b_iRLbXFRhNEaiw.jpeg

My impressions on DS4 and Knack:

DS4-This controller is quite different than the DS3 in size, grip, triggers, sticks and other functionally. But it's quite an insane improvement over it as well, definitely the triggers. It's quite bigger but felt like there's more of a grip to it, though it's not too big. The sticks felt more like the 360 ones. Overall I'm impressed and it's just an awesome controller.

Knack-This game is a basic platformer beat em up that reminds me of the 90s 3D platformers back in the day. The load times were longer than they need to be for the 1st thing I notice. Then there's the performance which is mostly smooth besides some random dips, I think the game should had a locked FPS than unlocked one. Then there's the graphics which while are good could be better and for comparison to the best looking launch games like Killzone Shadow Fall and Ryse it falls short, though there are impressive things about the physics and such. The game's combat is simple but fun, and enemies are pattern based and get harder, definitely on hard mode. I see this game doing well but nothing GOTY or anything unless the full game is much better.

Xone9

Banned
gamestop in Christiana Mall deleware had a demo unit.
Impressions - controller was good... really big which is weird...
the games kind of stunk though... nothing impressive... tons of jaggies... wish Killzone was being shown

The microsoft store down the halll had the Xbox One in as well, and I got to play Forza 5 and Killer Instinct...

Both games were good, nothing earth shattering... the controller is basically the 360 controller but with rumble triggers, which are cool in Forza (no rumble in KI).

Overall, both systems are good, but give them a year to be great....

IMG_36421.jpg

I have been visiting my local GameStop for the past week playing the PS4 on and off.

My only wonder is how the hell is Res0gun not on every demo kiosk in the world for the world to boggle at? I want to see that game live!

No new demo's loaded in yet, dude at GameStop knows jack nothing about anything going on so no answers there.

That is despite a new " commercial " playing over the speakers about how " gamestop employees are EXPERTS! Need to know which new system to buy? Ask Us! We know!!! "

Oozer3993

I got a chance to play with two different PS4 kiosks today. The new DS4 is great, a huge upgrade from the DS3. The little ridge between the R1 & R2 and L1 and L2 button gave me a little trouble. It's big enough that it kind of feels like a button itself. I'm also a little wary of the material on top of the sticks. The left stick on the second kiosk already had noticeable dent in the top. And the second kiosk crashed back to the proto dashboard partway through every demo. Happened three times in two different games. First kiosk was fine though. Knack was a little more fun than I was anticipating. The demo was rather long and there was more enemy types than I thought. FIFA mostly looked and played like current gen except ostensibly in 1080p. There was some nicer grass and some of the player models looked quite good.

FaintDeftone

My Best Buy finally got one. I played Knack and goofed around with the controller.

The controller is phenomenal. Knack was good enough but nothing about it screamed "buy me now".

Anth0ny

Played both of them over the weekend at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto. Xbone was set up at Microsoft Store and PS4 at Sony Store. First time getting my hands on the controllers.

Quick impressions of the games:

Forza - Played like Forza. Looked pretty shitty, lots of jaggies. Wasn't impressed at all. Did not scream next gen to me. Not that I really expect any launch games to do that, but still.

Knack - After watching someone play FIFA for 10 minutes (which looked like a shitty looking current gen game rendered in 1080p), I got to play Knack. I thought it was pretty damn fun. Not $60 fun, though. Maybe I'll pick it up when it drops to $20. Framerate was stable for me, animations were beautiful, no jaggies, charming art style... If I were to pick up any retail PS4 game at launch, it would probably have been Knack. But I think I'll be good with just Resogun.

Anyways, controller impressions!

Xbox One:

PROS:

My favorite controller of all time is the Gamecube controller. I've played with that controller more than any other controller in my life, probably for at least 6000 hours at this point.

I can say for a fact that as soon as I got my hands on that Xbone controller, I knew. This is the closest any controller has come to the perfection that is the Gamecube controller. It just MELTED into my hands like the Cube controller, and it felt FANTASTIC. Easily better than the 360 controller, and I fucking love that controller too. I was honestly shocked how much I loved holding it.

D-Pad is fixed. Totally acceptable d-pad on that thing. Took them long enough.

I didn't use the face buttons much since I was playing Forza, but I tried messing around with them while the game was loading. From what I could tell, they felt pretty good. Definitely need more time with the controller to judge, though.

The analog sticks were incredible. Possibly the best ever. They felt like a million bucks. Classy as fuck.

Triggers felt fine too.

CONS:

LB and RB are kinda fucking garbage. So disappointing. They had it perfect on the 360 controller, and everything on the Xbone controller besides these two buttons seem to have been improved over its predecessor. How could they fuck this up? They are simply awkward to press compared to the perfection that was the 360s RB and LB buttons.

The rumble in the triggers/controller in general. Now I'm pretty sure this was just the demo kiosk, and we'll be able to turn rumble off... but this controller had it on full fucking blast. It was to the point where the thing would vibrate and it sounded broken. Just annoying. I'll be turning off rumble when I get my controller.

So overall, I was overwhelmingly impressed by the Xbone controller. How would PS4 fare?

Dualshock 4:

PROS:

Like the Xbone controller, the DS4 felt utterly fantastic in my hands. I HATED the Dualshock 2 and 3. I actively avoided third party games on the PS3 mainly for this reason. Now, that is absolutely not an issue. Before, controlling with the left analog stick felt awkward at times. Now, those problems are gone. The increased size of the controller makes it way more comfortable to hold.

D-pad seems marginally improved. L1 and R1 also seemed improved, and obviously R2 and L2 are vastly superior to the Dualshock 3.

I also like that the analog sticks are concave like the 360/Xbone controllers rather than the DS3. However...

CONS:

... I played with the DS4 after the Xbone controller, and the analog sticks were clearly a step down. I don't want to say they felt cheap... but they even felt like a step down from the PS3 analog sticks, aesthetically. I totally believe stories like this, and fear my analog sticks could be destroyed like that if I treat my controller too rough (luckily I'm not too harsh on my controllers lol) Too bad, because it's an otherwise perfect controller imo.

This picture really tells it all:

There's no comparison. Xbone sticks shit on PS4s.

All in all, I'm super impressed with both controllers. The problems I have with each of them are easily fixable, and I hope Microsoft and Sony both release revisions at some point to fix these small problems. But even if they don't, I'm happy. These controllers are great, and at this point, I'm seriously considering just buying an Xbone controller to use for PC games.

Top Bottom