• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 demo kiosks are starting to pop up at Gamestop & Best Buy

Finally got to play the PS4 today at the NYC Sony store. The dualshock 4 is incredible just like man have said. First of all the controller looks way better in person than the pictures. The back isn't as gray as the pictures seem to depict. Also the handles are longer and more comfortable for sure like everyone has said. For those that didn't like the DS3 due to the small handles can rest assured that they will enjoy the DS4. The analogs are worlds better as well. They are not as lose and spaced out more, it really makes a difference. The triggers feel better for sure. Fingers do not slip and it feels like you have to push more than the DS3.I think a minor complaint on the triggers is that i wish it had more travel but it's still pretty good. The face buttons seem the same or maybe clickier,you can feel that they are closer together. The dpad is smooth and feels a bit easier to push compared to the DS3. L1 and R1 feel the same just shaped differently. Overall i was very impressed and can see why people love this controller. It makes me really excited to try out other Sony franchises with the DS4 in the future.

nikos

I also went to the Sony store in NYC today. The DS4 is very nice, but I was disappointed with the graphics in Knack and FIFA 14.

Knack actually looked worse than current gen games to me. Textures didn't look good, and there was a lot of aliasing going on. I overheard someone say that the IQ wasn't good, but not in those words. FIFA felt good at 60 FPS, but visuals were underwhelming.

I'm wondering if it was their TV since even the EA Sports logo looked aliased. Not sure what would cause that other than terrible calibration and an insane amount of sharpness. These are also probably older builds of each game.

I'm still very hyped for the PS4. Greatness definitely awaits, and I'm sure Killzone will look great at launch. I have a feeling even these games will look better at home, for some reason.

zedge

Impressions:

- The games in the demo kiosk are totally underwhelming, and not representative of what this baby will be pumping out in the future.

That was my impression. Loved the DS4 but the demos are nothing to write home about. Tried Fifa 14 and Knack. Knack seems to get alot of praise here its just not my thing. And really didnt look that great to me. You coulld have told me fifa was playing on a ps3 and I wouldnt have batted an eyelash also.

Its all about Killzone. Then Drive club!

It's happening! GameStop, Best Buy, additional Sony stores.

88IC234.png

Jeels

Checked out the PS4 at the Houston Sony Store. :)

Overall, super impressed with the hardware, software was pretty meh (see below):

Controller -

HOLY SMOKES. People are saying its bigger than the DS3 (and obviously it is going by the dimensions), but it had me a little concerned because I have small hands. Wow, size literally didn't matter, from looking at it it actually looked smaller to me, but that wasn't it, it was more ergonomic. It just melted into my hands. Beautiful. Not exaggerating Whatever texture they are using is perfect and its just so well crafted. All of the buttons felt fine and the touchpad feels nice to do. Analog sticks and triggers are heavily improved. It just all felt nice and snug. I seriously can't wait to use this controller for gaming, I can't go back to Dualshock 3.

The console itself - looked nice enough. Nothing zomg but it'll look nice in my entertainment system.

FIFA - I actually haven't played FIFA current gen except this one time at a party (on 360...) but I was pretty wasted and really tired. So I have no clue how good it looks compared to current gen. I will say there was nothing that made me go wow, but everything did look clean and fluid.

Knack - Was not impressed. Environment was so sterile looking. Gameplay was interesting enough (and actually difficult, you need to time your moves and approach each wave of enemies pretty strategically). There were quite a few frame rate drops, I'm not a frame rate guy but when it happens continuously it is pretty noticeable (AC games come to mind). Also the graphics had this pixelated look that I wasn't expecting. I had imagined a very clean look. Demo could be a work in progress though so no biggie though.

All in all I am really looking forward to the PS4 launch, but the launch line up is not impressive at all. (KZ might be, but I was never a shooter guy). Hopefully driveclub will impress.

Not many people there, I went around lunch time. There was a family watching their kid play knack, and on my way out, a couple in their 20's started playing.

The PS4 Experience | Toronto, Calgary, Montreal

https://www.facebook.com/events/209831695864476/

Are you ready for greatness? The PS4 is coming to Toronto, Calgary and Montreal on November 1st and you’re invited.

Visit one of our PS4 pop-up stores to be one of the first in Canada to get your hands on PS4 ahead of the November 15th launch. Test out the new DUALSHOCK 4 Wireless Controllers and play major next-gen gaming titles, like Killzone Shadow Fall, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, Octodad, Super Motherload, Contrast, Awesomenauts, Trine 2, Knack, and more.

The PS4 Experience will open on Friday, November 1st and will stay open during mall hours until January 5, 2014. Locations include:
• Toronto: Scarborough Town Centre, 300 Borough Drive
• Montreal: Complexe Les Ailes, 677, rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest, Montréal
• Calgary: Southcentre Mall, 100 Anderson Rd SE

When you’re there, make sure to register to WIN a PS4 and receive exclusive offers from EB Games.

Can’t make it November 1st? Not to worry. The PS4 pop-up stores will be open in the weeks leading up to launch. Even better, we’ll host themed gaming weeks, feature different titles and more! Stay tuned to our Facebook page for details.

Dunlop

The PS4 Experience | Toronto, Calgary, Montreal

https://www.facebook.com/events/209831695864476/

I live in Canada
I have a active PSN/PS+ account
I no longer have a active LIVE account

I have received many Canadian specific e-mails about the XB1
I have not received a single e-mail about the PS4 from Sony including information like above

Why is sony so shit at this kind of distribution? Could hire a kid a min wage to maintain the freaking mailing list

acsofspades

Neo Member
I tried out the PS4 last night at a Sony store in Seattle. I realized that better graphics still didn't make games like FIFA and Knack fun (for me.) I'm okay with just getting an Xbox One after all, provided the online isn't buggy.

Sony really fucked up with the choice of games to demo. Every single person who tried the games came away disappointed. Fifa and knack looked like current gen games.

Sony really fucked up with the choice of games to demo. Every single person who tried the games came away disappointed. Fifa and knack looked like current gen games.

Tried it in Houston a couple weeks ago and felt the same. Knack especially disappointed, given the really dodgy framerate and the extremely simplistic gameplay. It definitely felt like a current-gen experience.

Toss all these games out and put in Killzone. Remove the blood/gore from the demo version if they're concerned about demoing M-rated games. Sony's not doing themselves any favors by having everyone's first impressions of the PS4 from these kiosks be this underwhelming.

Jeels

I tried out the PS4 last night at a Sony store in Seattle. I realized that better graphics still didn't make games like FIFA and Knack fun (for me.) I'm okay with just getting an Xbox One after all, provided the online isn't buggy.

Not to discredit your opinion, but I am not exactly understanding you. FIFA and Knack are not graphical showcases, so I'm not sure how they were your deciding factor between a PS4 and One?

daveo42

Banned
Can't view the page here at work, but I think my local Best Buy should have something set up by now, based on what I saw last Friday with the section and hardware they were putting in the area. They even had the Xbox there, but not hooked up or anything. Just the box with the Kinect, which looks pretty big in comparision to the system.

kaskade

If I get to NYC before the release I might try it out unless one pops up closer to me. On the other hand I almost don't want to try it out. Might be kind of fun having it feel completely new.

Saganator

Came to complain about the lack of kiosks in Colorado. Found solace upon reading about even bigger population centers still not having a kiosk.

Oh well, I already have mine paid off and my DS4 is sitting right next to me.

Impressions of Knack sound pretty bad, thats a shame. Guess ill just stick with Contrast especially since its free.

I have seen plenty of good ones as well, seems mixed.

Sony why you no love the Midwest? Those are the people with terrible weather and not much else to do, should be the people you target first, lol.

Impressions of Knack sound pretty bad, thats a shame. Guess ill just stick with Contrast especially since its free.

Eh for knack YMMV. I enjoyed it when I played but I can see it not being for everyone

the challenge however is certainly present. Cerny was being honest when he said it becomes difficult if you play it on hard. I was playing it on medium and it still held merit

Gameplay is fine from what I've played although i needed more time with super moves and the like. Visuals are for each to determine but didn't bother me

LAS VEGAS got one!!!!!

SONY STORE 65

3500 LAS VEGAS BLVD SOUTH SPC R30 LAS VEGAS NV 89109

702-697-5420

I am going to hit that up as soon as I can.

Fehyd

Banned
For those in the Boston area. Displays are being shipped. Should be in the stores in the next week or two. They might end up sitting out back at stores for a while as well until the Sony reps get around to each individual store and get them set up. Stores apparently arent supposed to set them themselves.

Xander51

Still nothing in the Portland, OR area. I know it's not the most populated, but I was hoping for a demo unit by now. Oh well!

Dave_6

None in Alabama but that's not really a surprise. This will be the last place in North America to get one.

Top Bottom