• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 demo kiosks are starting to pop up at Gamestop & Best Buy

So, I hope this is thread appropriate... I promise by the end I'll bring it back to topic.

I kinda had it out with a Best Buy employee while checking their PS4 kiosk.

There were two uninformed customers next to me and they were asking the employee (I'll refer to him as "J" for short) about the new system and J started bashing the PS4 saying it was rushed, has no features better than PS3 and that X1 is better because it has kinect and you can snap between apps, tv and games... All valid selling points so I kept quiet.

It wasn't until J started saying that Sony has no games. Thats when I had to jump in. He was talking as if Infamous and The Order were "pushed back" and he doesn't care about indies. I explained to the customers that indies are important to a lot of people and the two libraries are pretty much identical. Then somehow J started talking about resolution and how Ghosts is better on X1... I couldn't believe my ears. According to him, PS4 games are 720p, "just like PS3" and X1 games are 1080p "just like on 360". Things started to get a little tense as I tried to explain the concept of upscaling but it didn't seem to sink in.

It was at that point that the other customers were like, "we gotta go." lol. I stuck it out with J because I was just trying to figure where he was coming from. The discussion got back on track and became civil once again and we talked about a whole slew of topics concerning Sony and MS in the current and next gen. Price, forced kinect bundling, first party exclusive track record, paywalls, etc etc.

I'm not trying to vilify the guy. J was thoughtful and passionate, I could tell that he's a true hardcore gamer, not some bro gamer. He's just completely blinded by preconceived notions, false observations, and misinformation. Despite that, he kept repeating that he's going to buy both systems.

One interesting thing J brought up for which I have no response is the fact that he's convinced Sony is going to burn us with it's "rushed system" overheating. J said at a sony preview event for best buy employees the PS4 unit "red-ringed" and also that the demo kiosk I was playing has already overheated on them. Not sure what to think about that without more information but it did pique my interest.

Once again, I'm not trying to spew flames at best buy or one of their employees but this experience simply reminded me that most people will be making their purchasing decision based off their own pre-conceived notions and opinions and there isn't much anyone can do to change that.

Back on topic, one thing we did agree on was that the selection of playable demos on the PS4 kiosk is lame and does pretty much nothing to demonstrate to people that its next-gen. And if I'm not mistaken, with the exception of the "PS4" logo on the actual machine, it doesn't say PS4 anywhere on the kiosk itself. Also, the load time to get back to the main menu when quitting out of a demo is really long and highlighted by the fact that demos seemed to auto quit to main menu after only a few mins."

Jeels

Ya, no offense but J might be passionate but he's also so misinformed he shouldn't be out there telling customers anything at all. Rushed? 720p? No games? You don't see the clear bias?

Plus, shouldn't Best Buy employees be focusing on selling inventory instead of scaring customers away.

B.O.O.M

Still nothing in the Portland, OR area. I know it's not the most populated, but I was hoping for a demo unit by now. Oh well!

I know dat feel :( Was hoping they would put up one at least in the Washington Mall or something since they have a sony store there

Ya, no offense but J might be passionate but he's also so misinformed he shouldn't be out there telling customers anything at all. Rushed? 720p? No games? You don't see the clear bias?

Plus, shouldn't Best Buy employees be focusing on selling inventory instead of scaring customers away.

Oh believe me, thats why I jumped in in the first place. He has every right to be biased, but I told him repeatedly that he shouldn't be presenting that biased information as fact to the customers. I think I was able to get him to see logic on the games and resolution front but who knows.

Jeels

Oh believe me, thats why I jumped in in the first place. He has every right to be biased, but I told him repeatedly that he shouldn't be presenting that biased information as fact to the customers. I think I was able to get him to see logic on the games and resolution front but who knows.

I think we all have a right since all our opinions are formed by little biases, but I'd say as customer I wouldn't feel comfortable if employees were telling flat out lies.

Good for you for being diplomatic and polite though.

Nothing here yet. Best Buy has the PS4 shelf up, and the power connections and such down on the ground but no actual console to play.

Gamestop has the PS4 shelf up with all the games and whatnot but no console either. But could be soon for both. Maybe November 1st? Would be my guess. Looks like both are just waiting on the consoles to arrive.

jwk94

So i got my DualShock 4 today. I'm slightly disappointed. The controller is nice, but the casing feels far too slippery. I'd been trying out some games here and there but I can't find a comfortable way to hold it. It's like the controller is going to slip out of my hands.

Does anyone know what games the demo kiosks will showcase?

I am really hoping for Killzone and Res0gun

Those 2 would blow minds of people walking past.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Does anyone know what games the demo kiosks will showcase?

I am really hoping for Killzone and Res0gun

Those 2 would blow minds of people walking past.

Killzone is M so that's no go. Res0gun would be great. SO far though it seems it's knack, fifa, and madden, which is a lousy lineup :(.

Afrikan

the hell is a "SONY GALLERY 57" here in San Francisco?

I live in the the city and never noticed it... I wonder if its one of those things where Sony rents some space for a couple of months to promote their product... like the did with Vita in SF before launch.

TheJerit

Ugh, I guess Atlanta is a third world city to Sony :(

Agreed....

Honestly though, at this point I think I'd rather just wait till the 15th. Amazon should have it to me by the time I'm home from the office. Get to experience it all for the first time. Make a great night/start of the PS4 Weekendstravaganza.

acsofspades

Neo Member
Not to discredit your opinion, but I am not exactly understanding you. FIFA and Knack are not graphical showcases, so I'm not sure how they were your deciding factor between a PS4 and One?

Those were the strongest among the games available to demo at the kiosk. I'm saying that for me, small graphic improvements don't seem to really improve my gaming experience. Thus, I don't mind if a few games here and there look better on the PS4 than the Xbox One.

Jeels

Those were the strongest among the games available to demo at the kiosk. I'm saying that for me, small graphic improvements don't seem to really improve my gaming experience. Thus, I don't mind if a few games here and there look better on the PS4 than the Xbox One.

I guess what I'm trying to say is neither of those games cant be done on the Xbox One (let alone ps360). So you cant really qualify whether graphical differences matter based off those two titles (the opinion itself is valid though).

So, I hope this is thread appropriate... I promise by the end I'll bring it back to topic.

I kinda had it out with a Best Buy employee while checking their PS4 kiosk.

There were two uninformed customers next to me and they were asking the employee (I'll refer to him as "J" for short) about the new system and J started bashing the PS4 saying it was rushed, has no features better than PS3 and that X1 is better because it has kinect and you can snap between apps, tv and games... All valid selling points so I kept quiet.

It wasn't until J started saying that Sony has no games. Thats when I had to jump in. He was talking as if Infamous and The Order were "pushed back" and he doesn't care about indies. I explained to the customers that indies are important to a lot of people and the two libraries are pretty much identical. Then somehow J started talking about resolution and how Ghosts is better on X1... I couldn't believe my ears. According to him, PS4 games are 720p, "just like PS3" and X1 games are 1080p "just like on 360". Things started to get a little tense as I tried to explain the concept of upscaling but it didn't seem to sink in.

It was at that point that the other customers were like, "we gotta go." lol. I stuck it out with J because I was just trying to figure where he was coming from. The discussion got back on track and became civil once again and we talked about a whole slew of topics concerning Sony and MS in the current and next gen. Price, forced kinect bundling, first party exclusive track record, paywalls, etc etc.

I'm not trying to vilify the guy. J was thoughtful and passionate, I could tell that he's a true hardcore gamer, not some bro gamer. He's just completely blinded by preconceived notions, false observations, and misinformation. Despite that, he kept repeating that he's going to buy both systems.

One interesting thing J brought up for which I have no response is the fact that he's convinced Sony is going to burn us with it's "rushed system" overheating. J said at a sony preview event for best buy employees the PS4 unit "red-ringed" and also that the demo kiosk I was playing has already overheated on them. Not sure what to think about that without more information but it did pique my interest.

Once again, I'm not trying to spew flames at best buy or one of their employees but this experience simply reminded me that most people will be making their purchasing decision based off their own pre-conceived notions and opinions and there isn't much anyone can do to change that.

Back on topic, one thing we did agree on was that the selection of playable demos on the PS4 kiosk is lame and does pretty much nothing to demonstrate to people that its next-gen. And if I'm not mistaken, with the exception of the "PS4" logo on the actual machine, it doesn't say PS4 anywhere on the kiosk itself. Also, the load time to get back to the main menu when quitting out of a demo is really long and highlighted by the fact that demos seemed to auto quit to main menu after only a few mins."

I don't bother to discuss things with people like that. I just let them be and go my own way. In fact, I prefer they buy the things that I don't so I don't have to be associated with them.

And yes, from what I've heard the demo selection is really pathetic and even counterproductive. It feeds into the false "Playstation has no games" fanboy mantra.

mishakoz

I get Killzone not being there, I guess. Resistance was demoed, but whatever. But they should definitely have the E3 demo of Second Son, that would get some preorders for fucking sure.

Logash

1383536_10201697270426916_378529501_n.jpg

Boundless and bare, alone and level sands stretch far away...

Drakeon

Hmm, one about an hour from my house. Think I'll just hope that the gamestops/bestbuys by me get it sooner rather than later.

I wonder how quickly Sony will update the choice of demo's. They need Killzone, Call of duty, Battlefield 4 and Assassins creed.

Btw, nothing in Huntington, WV.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I wonder how quickly Sony will update the choice of demo's. They need Killzone, Call of duty, Battlefield 4 and Assassins creed.

Btw, nothing in Huntington, WV.
The Canadian pop up stores have demos for Killzone and AssCreed so I wouldn't be surprised if those get rolled out to the retail kiosks in the near future.

Are you ready for greatness? The PS4 is coming to Toronto, Calgary and Montreal on November 1st and you’re invited.

Visit one of our PS4 pop-up stores to be one of the first in Canada to get your hands on PS4 ahead of the November 15th launch. Test out the new DUALSHOCK 4 Wireless Controllers and play major next-gen gaming titles, like Killzone Shadow Fall, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, Octodad, Super Motherload, Contrast, Awesomenauts, Trine 2, Knack, and more.

Got a chance to play the demo kiosk today at the Sony Store

Impressions:

Controller - I don't want to replicate all the glowing reports already but it really is the perfect console controller for me and is a marked improvement from the DS3 and 360 controller.

The rest - Couldn't tell you as I really had to go to the bathroom and didn't make it back.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Lucent

So i got my DualShock 4 today. I'm slightly disappointed. The controller is nice, but the casing feels far too slippery. I'd been trying out some games here and there but I can't find a comfortable way to hold it. It's like the controller is going to slip out of my hands.

Weird. First time I've heard of this. Every other discussion about the Dualshock 4 has been very positive and I even heard things like "it feels like it was made for my hands".

jwk94

Weird. First time I've heard of this. Every other discussion about the Dualshock 4 has been very positive and I even heard things like "it feels like it was made for my hands".

Yeah, I'm going to have to find a comfortable way to hold it. The best thing about it is how the grips for the analog stick. That was my main concern. I'm so glad that the they're so "grippy." It's like using a Wii U Nunchuk again!

Kibbles

Had to quit after one match of Halo 2 vista because it was not comfortable at all, hands starting hurting. Disappointing considering the controller felt good in my hands before I actually played a game with it. :S Hopefully I get used to it or it feels better at launch with actual PS4 games to play. Otherwise I'll be on the lookout for one of those converters that let you plug in a 360 or Xbone controller.

Top Bottom