• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 hardware design unveiled

I wonder, where did this go?

eIUAYaB.png

Premium SKU?

The lack of symmetry bothers me, why doesn't the glossy strip extend to the length of the disc tray? I can't figure out why it stops where it does.

Also I can't believe there is no USB port at the back once again and only one AUX port.
The most annoying thing about the PS3 was having the TV Tuner plugged into the front at all times :(

DBT85

Why? The 360 S has the exact same fan layout and it blows air out the top.

Ahh ok, didn't realise that.

You don't really get the concept of that giant 140mm fan do you?

No, thats why I have 8 120mm fans in my PC/HTPC. Wait.

I didn't expect the fan to blow up, I expected it to blow down.

The HSF combo is massive and right over the APU which is great. But we have quite literally no idea how the PS4 does it yet.

DBT85

but heat rises, on a PC you suck in cool air from the bottom fans and get rid of the heat through the top fans no?

Yes in a multi fan case you do that. But a traditional HSF that comes with a CPU is just a heatsink with a 80mm fan that blows DOWN onto the CPU, it doesn't try and suck air THROUGH the heatsink.

The XBONE sits flat, with the 140mm fan seated right over the APU, air has to get into and out of the case. I did not expect the air to be blown out the top, but rather sucked in the top and blown out the sides.

NekoFever

Any word on whether it'll support IR remotes? It was kind of annoying to integrate a PS3 into an AV setup where you use a universal remote because none of them support Bluetooth. I can't see a receiver on it, but it'd be easy to hide in the black bits.

I guess the round fan vent was just tossed into the teaser to confuse people?

GG sony.

I prefer the more conventional look of the x1 but they are both slick black boxes. Doesnt matter.

Strike

It's alright. It looks like a box. With the exception of the super slim PS3, Sony's designs always look much nicer in person. I assume that it will be the same case with this.

goonergaz

Yes in a multi fan case you do that. But a traditional HSF that comes with a CPU is just a heatsink with a 80mm fan that blows DOWN onto the CPU, it doesn't try and suck air THROUGH the heatsink.

The XBONE sits flat, with the 140mm fan seated right over the APU, air has to get into and out of the case. I did not expect the air to be blown out the top, but rather sucked in the top and blown out the sides.

ah right, I guess having stripped down a PS3 I understand better how console cooling works.

man I can't wait to see inside the PS4, it's so small considering the power!

wizzbang

Banned
How many USB slots on the back?

SSD installable (HDD removable = YES)
Region free = amazing
All I need to know, can I load my 50gb disc based games to HDD. I don't care if it chews space, I dont' care if it takes 25 minutes to copy, can I damn well save my laser long term and gain performance benefits from my SSD?
If so, dream machine.

Also, don't like the slant on it, don't hate the design but I'm not big on it.

GodofWine

Its a slightly cooler looking Xbone.

Mandatory PS+ (for multi) and the design were my "mehs" of the show. But it looks better in the photos, on stage it looked like an xbone from 1997, xbone looks like xbone from 1983.

What are the chances that we could put an SSD in there? I guess 1TB would be expensive, but it should help no end with loading,right?

DBT85

Probably not but it will definitely be louder than the One.

I'll be interested to hear them both.

What are the chances that we could put an SSD in there? I guess 1TB would be expensive, but it should help no end with loading,right?

SSD should work, no idea how much it will help yet though.

But they talked a lot about instant gaming in February so we don't know how much difference an SSD will make.

Lima

You can put an SSD in a PS3 today, so of course you can put a SSD in a PS4. And yes it will help with loading times if games can be installed to the hard drive(kinda sad that they didn't make this mandatory like Microsoft)

phaze

I dislike both designs. PS4 is slightly better though. Wii U the best looking console, who would have thought.

Erasus

Removable HDD? YES
Was afraid they would remove it.

No AV-Out sucks. Why? Speakers.

Something like a 2.1 system usually dont have optical inputs... only RCA. And Im not running sound through the shit TV/monitor speakers...
I dont often connect my PS3 to monitor but its nice to have

Top Bottom