• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 hardware design unveiled

DorsalAxe

Neo Member
I kinda like it, because it reminds me of the PS2. It also looks small and not like a VCR from the 80s, which also helps.

Septimius

Genuinely disapointing and stupid :( would pay an extra 20$ - seriously just straight up 20$ more if they put 2 fucking more on the rear!

It's 2013 FFS :(

What do you need it for? External HDD? One port. Need to charge 4 controllers? USB hub? 20$? I totally get that they could've just thrown two more on there, but I'm imagining they're sort of cramped for space with that slim design. I'm OK with two.

I think this design shows us that the details matter. It's in some ways reminiscent of the Xbone, but at the same time, it's so much better.

Sony went back to the BEST console ever made the PS2 design.

I like it the system itself when the CEO guy was holding it ,showed the size and width of the console.

Plus,it is really the design/look of the console that really matters??? Or the if the machine performs.

We as GAMERS complain like kids sometimes, but remember you can either get one of not it's your DIME.

wizzbang

Banned
You can put an SSD in a PS3 today, so of course you can put a SSD in a PS4. And yes it will help with loading times if games can be installed to the hard drive(kinda sad that they didn't make this mandatory like Microsoft)

There's also no confirmation that BluRay -> HDD installation is even possible on the PS4 though. (yet!) :(

Genuinely disapointing and stupid :( would pay an extra 20$ - seriously just straight up 20$ more if they put 2 fucking more on the rear!

It's 2013 FFS :(
Just put the 2 USB ports on the back. Honestly this pisses me off with the Playstation 3, now they've done the same with the PS4. FFS.

hackdog

Banned
Screen%20Shot%202013-06-11%20at%201.05.08%20AM.png

yus

baby-fist.bmp

512GB SSD day one.

Vinci

Danish
Seems like Sony's hardware designers went to the same school as the ones working on the X-Box One. The similarity is remarkable.

wizzbang

Banned
What do you need it for? External HDD? One port. Need to charge 4 controllers? USB hub? 20$? I totally get that they could've just thrown two more on there, but I'm imagining they're sort of cramped for space with that slim design. I'm OK with two.

I think this design shows us that the details matter. It's in some ways reminiscent of the Xbone, but at the same time, it's so much better.

It's more me being pedantic about a shitty looking loungeroom - don't design a nice box that I HAVE to have a cable hanging out the front from.
I admit the PS Eye camera on the PS3 uses normal USB - on the PS4 it's proprietary and goes in the back so that's 1 free slot but still - some people do hook up HDD's. or in my case, I like a charge cable tucked neatly away so I can pull it from behind a TV or something.

Only now it needs to hang out the front like a cigarette out of a hobos mouth. Ruining my pretty console.

Jarnet87

Makes me think did both companies go to the same company to design the console lol. Both have that two tone thing going on, similar shape (PS4 slanted and sleaker). I'f I'm picking one yeah I'll take the PS4 design. I wonder how quiet it will run vs the Xbox One. I remember hearing that maybe the One was designed bigger so it literally runs cooler.

Yes Boss!

It is incredibly stylish for a game system. Right in line with what I would expect form Sony. They've only really had one misstep with the first model PS3.

Bradach

Is this fake?

They seemed to be using it in the video after the conference (the one that shows the UI). I like the idea of it, seems handier than the wireless headset. The voice chat over PSN will have to be a lot better than it is now for me to move from skype calls for online games though.

Septimius

It's more me being pedantic about a shitty looking loungeroom - don't design a nice box that I HAVE to have a cable hanging out the front from.
I admit the PS Eye camera on the PS3 uses normal USB - on the PS4 it's proprietary and goes in the back so that's 1 free slot but still - some people do hook up HDD's. or in my case, I like a charge cable tucked neatly away so I can pull it from behind a TV or something.

Only now it needs to hang out the front like a cigarette out of a hobos mouth. Ruining my pretty console.

Valid argument. I thought you wanted more in the front, but I definitely see the need for two in the back.

That's what she said

Famassu

That's super-fugly, ugh. Oh well, luckily I can kind of hide it behind the tv with the way my entertainment corner is set up.

ballerusk

Did Sony show the box art for the games? Based on the "used game instructional video" it looks like it will be Vita-covers, but at the size of regular DVD-covers.

Bradach

the look is a little sharp for my tastes but I'm impressed at its size (apparently size of first ps3 slim). Considering the contents they done a good job on that front. I was expecting a tower pc (ala xbone)

sono

Thank you I was hoping someone would do a thread on this.

Are there any more close ups and also a human hand or something for scale.

Unfortunately my first reaction isnt great, and those pictures make it look huge

PS BOX

XeNoN89

Banned
I love the design personally. Definitely got some PS2 nostalgia going on. I was worried about the potential size after the XB1 announcement, so am glad they managed to make it smaller. Only thing to worry about now is noise, however I'm still using a fat PS3, so as long as it is quieter than that I will be happy.

Drek

You can put an SSD in a PS3 today, so of course you can put a SSD in a PS4. And yes it will help with loading times if games can be installed to the hard drive(kinda sad that they didn't make this mandatory like Microsoft)

That would have required DRM for disc based titles. You can have that feature by just buying all digital, FYI. I'm sure Sony will continue their day one digital strategy.

Top Bottom