• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 hardware design unveiled

darilaho

Banned
So where exactly you remove the HDD?
From the bottom?
13+-+10

And another question what happen with this?
qku82uj.jpg

and this
wIEWpO4.png

But so far is sexy pentagon and better than XBONE :p

iMerc

vertically, it looks like a remodelled ps2 stacked on top of a remodelled ps3.

stacked on, and not duct taped together.
stacks on!!

(will buy)

Not exactly a fan of either Sony or MS hardware designs for this coming generation.

If I was going to buy based on looks I'd first get a black WiiU, then a PS4 followed closely by an XOne. But the gulf in design between WiiU and PS4 is huge.

None in this coming generation are good designs, but one is far better than the others. I mean PS4 and XOne look like hardware from Atari and Panasonic. Neither are good designs.

Addnan

Did we know what the size of the thing is, in the conference it looked pretty small in the guys hands. How does it compare to Xbone?

Kasumin

To me it looks like a sleeker, more compact Playstation 2. I think that simple, box-shaped designs for consoles are best. So I'm pretty happy with the PS4's design. I'm surprised that it's so... small.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the design language of the XB1 so it's no surprise that this appeals to me. It's a much more 'Sony' take on that style though which is great.

I'm not a big fan of it sitting up vertically but in its horizontal position it looks brilliant.

Hopefully there'll be a blue stand for it available separately as a nice throw back to the PS2 era.

dejay

Banned
And another question what happen with this?
qku82uj.jpg

and this
wIEWpO4.png

The second picture I believe is actually two objects. I think the top black object is the PS4 whilst the vents and the plastic underneath that is the vertical mounting stand. In the picture it looks like the PS4 is about to be placed on the stand or is being removed from the stand. There appears to be vents on both sides of the PS4, so when it's standing upright it makes sense that the stand is ventilated too, otherwise you'd be blocking half of the side vents.

Below is a pic of how I believe the vent looks from the end. Please forgive the crudity of this model.
YaMdFjY.gif

If you look at the pic below, it appears that the PS4 is sitting flush on top of the stand and doesn't sit in a slot, so it must be that there's something sticking up into the side groove of the PS4 to keep it steady. It also makes sense that the vent in the stand is painted white so it's easier to see when you slide the PS4 down onto it.

Also notice in the picture below the stand appears to be made up of two parts, with holes in the front and side to allow air to pass. That may be where the first picture comes from somehow.

Lima

You know what would be really cool? If the console would be close down once the disc is in and if you don't use any of the usb ports.

Once you press the eject button it transforms and opens up to reveal the slot in drive.

To me it looks like a sleeker, more compact Playstation 2. I think that simple, box-shaped designs for consoles are best. So I'm pretty happy with the PS4's design. I'm surprised that it's so... small.

Yeah height wise (when flat) it's actually lower than any of the PS3 models. Slightly wider than the slim but not as deep either.

dejay

Banned
It looked extremely light to me, imo it was lighter than the real ps4.
playstation4reveal-560.jpg

That box may well be empty, so the way he's hefting it may be deceptive.

Fucked if I know how they got it so sleek compared to the xbone, which I like the look of too but damn. Plus they hid the vents a LOT better.

NekoFever

It looks decent from the front, which is all that's really important to me since that's all I'll see from my AV cabinet.

I can't say I'm hugely enamoured with the aesthetics of either, though.

Top Bottom