• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI 16 minute video

Ravage

Looking real fast and smooth atm.

As for the aesthetics, i'm confident there will be much less complaining if they had used a decent wallpaper instead of that awful default blue theme.

Yeah Exchange sucks and there are much better solutions than active directory or whatever other bs ms puts forth.

We're getting WAY off topic but have you ever even used Exchange or did you look at it and couldn't figure it out after 10 seconds, so now it sucks? I support many clients in IT and when a new client comes onboard and doesn't have Exchange, I cringe.

Megasoum

Banned
wayyy worse than xb1...

image.php

TheJerit

I have complete confidence that this UI will be awesome.

I wonder if we'll be able to communicate with ps3 users? It would make a ridiculous amount of sense for us to chat back and forth and for them to come watch our streams. Make the firmware update happen Sony.

Jeff_Rigby should be happy with that browser, lol.

Leewan

One version was locked to private

The other seems to be the douche edition.

EDIT::: Never mind the douche goes away... Music stays:(

Vestal

Gold Member
I'll wait for the final product before making judgement on it. They still have a month.

Wtf is AD and exchange talk doing in this thread??

Can someone explain to me why this UI is terrible? Its clean and minimalist, just like the XMB.

The browser could use some work but apart from that im not seeing the issue.

ShapeGSX

PS3 has 12 different colors to choose from, I'm sure PS4 is the same.

I'm glad it still has the small icons on the main view,Xbone looks terrible in comparison and will once again make themes almost worthless.

Themes are useless, regardless.

le.phat

Can someone explain to me why this UI is terrible? Its clean and minimalist, just like the XMB.

The browser could use some work but apart from that im not seeing the issue.

Nobody can explain that because its not. It's obviously designed with speed and overview in mind, and appears to deliver both, which is what a GUI should set out to do. The X/Y orientation of the menu navigation could work beautifully with touchpad wipes on the controller.

What people mean is "This UI doesn't look as flashy as the xbox one's", which is fair, since its an opinion.

taoofjord

Personally, I can't stand that blue Sony always uses. Once I switch to a different color or use a custom theme I think I'll be much happier with the look of the UI.

Personally, I can't stand that blue Sony always uses. Once I switch to a different color or use a custom theme I think I'll be much happier with the look of the UI.

Yeah, I'm hoping whenever they show an official video for the UI being demoed, that they show how you can change the background.

Since you asked, my beautiful windows surface which is perfect for college. Just placed an order for the Surface 2.. Btw, before you call me a shrill. Or a market plant. I have a PS3 hooked up to the my current TV. Honestly, I could care less about interface so long as it works and its fast. I love my PS3 btw, I also love my Xbox. Looking forward to picking up both this gen again as well.
You sound like one of those people who claim they're not a racist because they've got black friends.

Owning and using a PS3 doesn't mean that you're not a shrill. Not that I'm suggesting you are.

wapplew

Sony's UI is simple, functional, elegant which is great. But a bit too simple, no enough in depth feature.
For example video capture, it let you capture, trims, upload that's it. It get the job done no doubt, just not enough to play with.

S¡mon

Banned
For people too lazy to search for themselves, here is a manual to find the 16 min. YouTube vid.

Method One:
1) Go to http://www.youtube.com/
2) In the search box, type: "PS4 user interface" (without '' )
3) Press enter on your keyboard
4) Click on "Filters" right below the search box
5) Select upload date "Today"
6) Look for "Playstation 4 Interface Overview & ALL Features Leaked 16 Minutes PS4". It's probably somewhere between the first five videos.
7) Click that video
8) Watch the video
9) ???
10) DONE!

Method Two:
1) Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgXWrJOwu68
2) Watch the video
3) ???
4) DONE!

satam55

Banned
Nobody can explain that because its not. It's obviously designed with speed and overview in mind, and appears to deliver both, which is what a GUI should set out to do. The X/Y orientation of the menu navigation could work beautifully with touchpad wipes on the controller.

What people mean is "This UI doesn't look as flashy as the xbox one's", which is fair, since its an opinion.

This!

My only hope is that there is a customizable "Quick Menu". For instance:

Press L1 and a menu pops out from the left, which lists top to bottom quick links for:
-Last Game Played (would appear if it was a digital download or if it was disc based and the disc is in the system)
-Link to News Feed (What friends are up to, videos shared, etc.)
-2 or 3 customizable slots for your most used apps/settings (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Instant, PS Store)

You should be able to get to what you want to do with the system 80% of the time in no more than 3-4 clicks.

Something like this:

fXhTLn9.jpg

codhand

My only hope is that there is a customizable "Quick Menu".

yeah thatd be neat. ps3 has a lot of useless options especially under system, way too partitioned ie; system settings, network settings, network system settings, it still takes me longer than it should to remember where system update is located.

if your OS needs a lot of ram to run efficiently it's probably not very efficient

i wondered why this video had so many down votes, well after watching for more than a minute i now know why

curb

Banned
Kotaku updated their story indicating that Sony PR said the footage is "from a debug unit that is not at all representative of the final consumer experience". I'm sure there's some aspects from that video that will be in the final version but I personally am not taking any leaked UI stuff seriously. I'll wait for some official footage or until I actually have my PS4 which at this rate, it seems like the latter is more likely.

Link

Top Bottom