• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI 16 minute video

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I want them to make it as fast as they possibly can. Keep it minimalistic as well but definitely make fast THE priority please. XMB is all good in my book.

Tagyhag

I find it better than XMB, I was never a big fan of that one though.

My favorite console UI was probably the first 360 one.

Anko

It was shown during the Gamescom preview. I think you have to scroll down to expand the game tile and for the art to appear. It doesn't seem to appear automatically every time you hover over the tile like it does on the PS3.

Ah... They're not going to be able to feature much art with that much information taking up the screen space.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
How is it that so many struggle to deal with a mosaic layout? Humanity has only been doing that in various mediums for thousands of years. It's not even the primary UI in this case.

I get tired of using interfaces alot faster than I get tired of looking at them. Speed, functionality and ease of use is what I look for. If Sony can provide a basic, even PS3 level of customization I think I would like their OS. I haven't liked anything in particular about XB1s UI, other than a passing curiosity about Kinect and its worth.

How is it that so many struggle to deal with a mosaic layout? Humanity has only been doing that in various mediums for thousands of years. It's not even the primary UI in this case.

I think they're traditionalists. I'm sure they would cry out with pain looking at any work produced during the Dadaist/Italian Futurist period.

Cess007

Video quality is awful on the video, but from what i can see (besides the two blocks beside the TV i'm guessing are people) is that the UI is damn fast. Damn Sony, release an official video for the UI already!

FINALBOSS

Banned
All I care about is that it's fast as all hell and minimalistic.

While I do think the Xbone UI is very pretty--you have to ask yourself...at what cost?

SMZC

Lack of ads already makes it better than the XBO UI. The minimalistic and straightforward look makes it even more appealing.

#teamXMB

Can anyone translate what is going on from around the 12:00 min mark till about the 14:00 min mark? Looks like they are having issues.

The game crashes, they go to the Home screen to quite the game. The ironic part is they were commenting on heat, or lack of, just before the game stopped. My French is basic level.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I should also mention that what makes the UI look bland is because nothing is really activated on it. The reason the Xbone one looks a little bit more appealing is because all the boxes and shit is all filled in with content.

Nightfallfilms

Neo Member
The game crashes, they go to the Home screen to quite the game. The ironic part is they were commenting on heat, or lack of, just before the game stopped. My French is basic level.

Ok thanks for the reply. Towards the end of the video they actually open up were the console is and looks like the guy is putting his hands at different spots feeling for heat. Or maybe he is totally doing something else since I don't know what they are saying.

If the X1 UI is anything like metro, and it does look like metro. I'm sorry, but the Metro UI is the best thing to happen to Microsoft in a long time. I know I sound like a fan boy, but after using it on a Windows tablet I became a believer. It's very, very, very good on tablets

wapplew

If the X1 UI is anything like metro, and it does look like metro. I'm sorry, but the Metro UI is the best thing to happen to Microsoft in a long time. I know I sound like a fan boy, but after using it on a Windows tablet I became a believer. It's very, very, very good on tablets

Metro pretty much design with touch input in mind, that's why desktop user hate it. I don't know it will be good on console or not, maybe it works well with DS4...
Metro design is very expressive one, you either love it or hate it, not much middle ground.

ph00p

Banned
It's two different UI's crammed together, the XMB(still around ugh) and FB. At leas with MS we know if people as a whole don't like the UI they will change it(and add ads too unfortunately but at least change it).

FeiRR

Banned
I'm sorry, but the Metro UI is the best thing to happen to Microsoft in a long time. I know I sound like a fan boy, but after using it on a Windows tablet I became a believer. It's very, very, very good on tablets

I'm sorry too. What tablet are you talking about? We're discussing the PS4 UI. It's a console, for games, with button inputs, on a controller.

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

Metro pissed me off enough to move both my windows servers to CentOS and get a rMBP instead of windows equivalent.

No longer own or interact with a single microsoft product or service at the top level and I'm glad. OSX + Linux combo is superior inf pretty much every way if you just want to get shit done.

sock

Lack of ads already makes it better than the XBO UI.

I can't echo this loudly enough. The constant bombardment of advertisements was one of the factors that made it so easy for me to say goodbye to Live and sell my 360 a year and a half ago. If Sony can keep PS4 UI ads as inconspicuous and relevant as they are on PS3, I'll be a happy dude.

Also, I really like the new flattened waves in the default background. Hoping the color can change to reflect the time of day, it was one of my favorite little UI touches this gen.

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

Metro pissed me off enough to move both my windows servers to CentOS and get a rMBP instead of windows equivalent.

No longer own or interact with a single microsoft product or service at the top level and I'm glad. OSX + Linux combo is superior inf pretty much every way if you just want to get shit done.

And 80% of the business world pay to use that combination just for the hell of it.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Metro pretty much design with touch input in mind, that's why desktop user hate it. I don't know it will be good on console or not, maybe it works well with DS4...
Metro design is very expressive one, you either love it or hate it, not much middle ground.

I don't think it really matters if Metro works with DS4 or not :p

Metro is weaker with a mouse, however I reckon it will work quite nicely with a D pad.

Spinluck

What exactly is wrong with it? It's a NEWS FEED. You don't look at that page hoping to find some specific information. You glance at it and see if anything catches your eye. Every tile on that page shows you a preview of that tile's content. You can quickly pick and choose what you want to give your attention to, if anything at all.

Found it.

Funny how the most minuscule changes make a big difference. I really like the look here.

PerZona

Looks like a beefed up version of the XMB, I really like it.

And as long as the UI is fast and snappy it's all good for me. I'm buying the PS4 to mainly spend 90% of my time playing games, not to scroll through the UI and admire it.

Pretty blurry, but it looks great. Nice and snappy.

Side note, that Knack slowdown. Instant flashbacks to the staircase fight in NG2. Seriously though, that was bad, like really, really bad.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Neither the 16 minute of the hour long one give me anything to work with. They don't really do anything and it's blurry and the sound is bad on both. I'll just tweet this to Sid Shuman and maybe that'll put the pressure on.

I'm sorry too. What tablet are you talking about? We're discussing the PS4 UI. It's a console, for games, with button inputs, on a controller.

Since you asked, my beautiful windows surface which is perfect for college. Just placed an order for the Surface 2.. Btw, before you call me a shrill. Or a market plant. I have a PS3 hooked up to the my current TV. Honestly, I could care less about interface so long as it works and its fast. I love my PS3 btw, I also love my Xbox. Looking forward to picking up both this gen again as well.

Pretty blurry, but it looks great. Nice and snappy.

Side note, that Knack slowdown. Instant flashbacks to the staircase fight in NG2. Seriously though, that was bad, like really, really bad.

That and the Assassin's Creed IV - New PS4 Gameplay: Exploring Havana & Nassau on PlayStation 4 video aren't very good representations of the final product with all the glitches at the end.

see my title..

Perhaps he should change his name from coolas to cornyass

maverick40

Neither the 16 minute of the hour long one give me anything to work with. They don't really do anything and it's blurry and the sound is bad on both. I'll just tweet this to Sid Shuman and maybe that'll put the pressure on.

Why do you always have some pointless title to each of your comments?

Fredrik

Fast UI. Don't give a fuck what it looks like as long as it's fast.
Was it fast though? Faster than WiiU but I saw a bit too many buffering/loading rotating circles and empty screens. Didn't watch the whole video though, maybe I just happened to skip thop a bunch of web based pages?
Looks kind of stale too. Strange that he wrote his name with the stick too, why not use the touch pad?

Top Bottom