• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Bunch of Final Fantasy games on sale on US PSN right now (30%/50% plussers)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've heard constant good things about FF6. I've never played it.

Would playing it on my PSP3000 present any problems? Is it a competent port?

KingK

I already own VI and VII, but I've never played VIII or IX. I'll probably get IX, as I've heard good things, but is VIII worth getting as well? I've heard mixed impressions on the game.

I've heard constant good things about FF6. I've never played it.

Would playing it on my PSP3000 present any problems? Is it a competent port?
I'm playing it on my PSP2000 right now (about 30 hours in) and the only real problem I've noticed is that there is a couple seconds of load time every time you bring up your menu with triangle. It's not enough to deter me from playing, but I know some people are sensitive about load times. Also, apparently some of the sound quality isn't as good as the original SNES version, but I never played that one so I haven't noticed anything particularly wrong with the sound (other than the weird wind sound effect).

zroid

Banned
Guess Imma grab a $20 card this friday along with Kid Icarus.

I already own VI and VII, but I've never played VIII or IX. I'll probably get IX, as I've heard good things, but is VIII worth getting as well? I've heard mixed impressions on the game.

honestly, it's a complete craps shoot getting a recommendation between 7, 8 and 9, as any of the three could be the best or worst depending on whom you ask. they're all good games.

Link Man

Banned
Is FFT worth a double dip for the psp version? Or will the ps1 version treat me just fine?

Well, if you put CFW on your PSP, there's a patch that makes War of the Lions run buttery smooth. And it has a more coherent script. And an extra character. And voiced cutscenes. And two hidden jobs.

RS4-

Uhh, I've got a free month of PS+, can I use that and take advantage of the discount?

I just want to get FFT for my Vita.

eh not really. I beat the game three times and never died once. 7 is just as easy and 8 is even easier.
Ozma is the game's true challenge, but only because he's an asshole who cheats by dodging the ATB system.
Well, if you put CFW on your PSP, there's a patch that makes War of the Lions run buttery smooth. And it has a more coherent script. And an extra character. And voiced cutscenes. And two hidden jobs.

Not to mention putting CFW on a PSP takes no more than 10 minutes now.

KingK

honestly, it's a complete craps shoot getting a recommendation between 7, 8 and 9, as any of the three could be the best or worst depending on whom you ask. they're all good games.

7 is my favorite of the FF games that I've played. I still have Plus for a couple more days, so I guess I might as well get both games since you have to put at least $10 in your wallet at a time, correct?

8 is ass 13 tier

do not buy

While 13 is my least favorite out of the FF games I've played, I still enjoyed it for the most part. I guess I'll give 8 a try.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I'm playing it on my PSP2000 right now (about 30 hours in) and the only real problem I've noticed is that there is a couple seconds of load time every time you bring up your menu with triangle. It's not enough to deter me from playing, but I know some people are sensitive about load times. Also, apparently some of the sound quality isn't as good as the original SNES version, but I never played that one so I haven't noticed anything particularly wrong with the sound (other than the weird wind sound effect).

Cool. Thanks for the impressions. While load times definitely bug me more than most; I can deal with that. Because, honestly, if I don't get this I might never end up playing the game. So, it's better than nothing.

Also, I'll throw out a recommendation:

I'm not a big Final Fantasy fan. I've dabbled with some of the older ones, and have beat most of the titles from VII onward. I think they're good games, for the most part; but I have a hard time getting hyped for them. With that said, Final Fantasy IX is one of my favorite video games of all time. While I can't think of another FF game that would break my Top 50, FF9 is unquestionably in my Top 10. One of the best games I've ever played, with one of the greatest stories and absolutely awesome characters. EASILY worth the asking price here.

zroid

Banned
7 is my favorite of the FF games that I've played. I still have Plus for a couple more days, so I guess I might as well get both games since you have to put at least $10 in your wallet at a time, correct?

Just $5 actually, but yeah I would say for 5 bucks you may as well give it a download.

Newb-retro question: Never played FF Tactics before. Should I get the PSP version or the vanilla console one? Which one is a better port/download? What about content and enhancements?

Glix

wow, great prices, glad I held out on the PSP games for my Vita.

Yup, right when you get cross game chat on your PS3 they'll get around to programming the Vita PS1 emulator.

Oh Sony, you get me so fucking mad.

also, why the fuck can't I download PSP rev's of Resistance and Pursuit force.

Fuck you Sony

Aeana

I guess I'll go ahead and buy FF8 to complete the set, even though I never play the English version of it.

Skel1ingt0n

I bought Final fantasy 9 off of a whim and completely loved it. So any recommendations?

Like I mentioned earlier, IX is my favorite, too. I've been told to pick up VI, and that I'll love it. So, while I have no experience, I'd say 6 might be a good recommendation if you're looking for one.

Newb-retro question: Never played FF Tactics before. Should I get the PSP version or the vanilla console one? Which one is a better port/download? What about content and enhancements?

War of the Lions has always been the definitive version except with some annoying slowdown. There's a patch for CFW PSPs that removes the slowdown, so there's no reason to get the original version anymore, really.

War of the Lions has always been the definitive version except with some annoying slowdown. There's a patch for CFW PSPs that removes the slowdown, so there's no reason to get the original version anymore, really.

I'm a scrub when it comes to handheld and all the firmware. Buttttt what about if you're getting it for the vita?

I'm a scrub when it comes to handheld and all the firmware. Buttttt what about if you're getting it for the vita?

I wouldn't be able to tell you, since I don't think there's any CFW (let alone reliable CFW) for the Vita yet.

I'm also a bit of a scrub when it comes to the PSP and hardware/software stuff, but the installation process for getting CFW onto a PSP is incredibly simple.

RedSwirl

Questions:

Are V and VI worth it if I already own the GBA versions? I'm not sure if I want to play those games on a handheld or a console right now.

What about VIII and IX? The only time I tried to play VIII back in the day the tutorial almost put me to sleep. That's the only thing I remember about the game. I've barely ever had a chance to touch IX, but I know I won't actually be playing it for a long time.

Aeana

Are V and VI worth it if I already own the GBA versions? I'm not sure if I want to play those games on a handheld or a console right now.

They're not worth it even if you don't own the GBA versions. In that case you should go get the GBA versions.

MrMephistoX

Nice I might actually buy the FFVI , VIII, and IX now even though I have the discs.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PSP) $6.99/$4.89 cheaper than iOS is the real news of the thread. Might buy that too

Questions:

What about VIII and IX? The only time I tried to play VIII back in the day the tutorial almost put me to sleep. That's the only thing I remember about the game. I've barely ever had a chance to touch IX, but I know I won't actually be playing it for a long time.

The GBA versions of 5 and 6 are better in every way (except for the music, if you care about that stuff).

IX is the best of the PS1 FF games, but as people have mentioned, it gets pretty slow during battles. If you think that you'll eventually be able to stand it, then you'll find an amazing game underneath.

Andrefpvs

To be honest, if you're a Vita owner, you should still buy any PSone games you're interested in. These are great prices and the games should be playable on the Vita soon™.

Beth Cyra

Questions:

As said, V and VI shouldn't even be considered if you have the GBA versions.

As I said earlier in the thread, the battle speed of IX and the characters ruin it for me. However it's still a good game so I would say get it.

VIII aside from the tutorial can end up being one of the faster games in the series depending on how you build your characters and you can really do anything you want to it because of all the weird systems and it has a ton of side content.

Characters and story is really hit and miss though. I personally loved them, Squall and Rinoa being two of my favorites in the franchise, that said they have equal number of people who hate them as they do do who love them.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
To be honest, if you're a Vita owner, you should still buy any PSone games you're interested in. These are great prices and the games should be playable on the Vita soon™.

Giving Sony too much credit, it could be later than sooner and might be compatibility issues

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'd buy FFVII-IX if I was absolutely guaranteed to be able to play them on Vita someday, but for now I'm just getting VII. My copy's discs are in really terrible shape.

I also wish Crystal Defenders was part of the sale even though it's technically not under the FF umbrella. Oh well.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
how's the loading on FF4 collection on a Vita??
I'd jump on it...but I HATE freakin load times...ESPECIALLY ON A CONSOLE WITH AN SD CARD!

Reminds me of all the games I tossed on Hdloader for the PS2...dramatically changed MGS3, all NHL games, and DQ7

Top Bottom