• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSM3: Sony has one big surprise for E3 that is not the PlayStation 4.

mangaroo

Banned
If they had half a brain, this is where the FFVII remake would make an appearance, exclusively on the Vita

Would it be worth the energy when we could just play FFVII on the vita in a few months anyway. It would sell with the hype but damn that would take ages, the game was huge. It was a lot easier to represent larger towns as the details wouldn't have had to be so good. Making a rushed remake wouldn't do it justice and would prefer if they spent their energies on other things atm. Also I doubt it would fit on PSN if it was a HD remake! And they seem to be gearing away from retail but I would definitely pick it up retail over digital anyway.

Also about Epic - do any games other than MK use the vita Unreal Engine? Going by MK alone I'd say it is severely underdeveloped in comparison to what is currently available anyway. Can't say if that is the reason or due to their uninterest in the vita though. Shame as a proper Unreal tournament would have been wicked. Although not with their current focus on flash above all else. Quake 3 arena remake would do, who owns that now... I think from wikipedia it will be ZeniMax Media, guys behind lots of stuff like fallout. That would really push the vita's dual sticks to the test though. Would definitely need a slight aim correction to be fun. Hell yeah, arena death match PSN game gogo.

Oppo

It seems like every E3 there is one of these types of SONY HAS A BIG EXCLUSIVE THAT'S SUPER SECRET. I don't remember a single one that mattered. So I'm going to assume this is going to be nothing.

The Last of Us, a year ago.

Hanmik

what was the "big thing" at Sony's conference last year ?

xkqff954n8tz.jpg

or was that 2010 ??

ohh that was 2010..

2011 was

BP5jv.jpg

_RT_

With the connectivity being pushed by the 360, I think Sony is going to step up the browser or provide similar offerings.

Jigsaw

Banned
i think valve is done with the ps3,all the effort they put in the ps3 version of portal 2 and it still got outsold by the 360 version

ps3 is not even getting the new dlc,isn't it?

KalBalboa

Banned
Sony tends to show the most games and exclusives off, and with all the new announcements we've seen this past month I'm hoping to see lots of gameplay footage.

Mario007

i think valve is done with the ps3,all the effort they put in the ps3 version of portal 2 and it still got outsold by the 360 version

ps3 is not even getting the new dlc,isn't it?

neither is xbox360.

Gabe said that Sony needs to be 'rewarded' for opening up ps3 to steamworks and the CCP collaboration.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
xkqff954n8tz.jpg

or was that 2010 ??

ohh that was 2010..
Even tho people didn't really hype it that much (even after it was unveiled) this really was a big thing IMO. With the nasty comments he made it was pretty fucking impressive for Sony to just have him stand there (valve doesn't even care about e3 do they?), let alone announce things. I need to check back the moment, I totally thought HL3 was going to be announced then and there

Now I kinda hope this happens just to see the reactions. The internet would break.

I can't help feel it would be all a little too late though, 6/7 years into the generation. Hence why I find it unlikely, but if there's a "big surprise" that isn't PS4, then anything is possible.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I am so confused my man, could you explain this? Why would a revamped PSN with a subscription fee make you want to get a PS3? Most people would say the exact opposite.

Sorry for the delayed response. What I mean by this is that I am not interested in a free online service because you pretty much get what you pay for. Most of my friends with both consoles avoid the PS3 for anything but exclusives, mostly because of PSN being an annoying mess.

Slap a price on it, and give people the service they want, and I'll buy in. And I'm not talking about PS+ crap either.

Misterhbk

Sorry for the delayed response. What I mean by this is that I am not interested in a free online service because you pretty much get what you pay for. Most of my friends with both consoles avoid the PS3 for anything but exclusives, mostly because of PSN being an annoying mess.

Slap a price on it, and give people the service they want, and I'll buy in. And I'm not talking about PS+ crap either.

As someone who plays on PSN everyday, I have to disagree. I've never had any issues outside of random things happening to servers within specific games (aside from the outage of course).

And as someone who recently picked up an Xbox, I still can't see why I should pay for it. Used my free month, and nothing really felt any different than psn. Decided not to pay as I didn't find it worth the price at all, when I'm getting pretty much the exact same thing for free elsewhere.

Shiloa

Chances are the annoyances you feel are based on the infrastructure of the console, so a fee would not change anything.

Ryaaan14

Banned
As someone who plays on PSN everyday, I have to disagree. I've never had any issues outside of random things happening to servers within specific games (aside from the outage of course).

And as someone who recently picked up an Xbox, I still can't see why I should pay for it. Used my free month, and nothing really felt any different than psn. Decided not to pay as I didn't find it worth the price at all, when I'm getting pretty much the exact same thing for free elsewhere.

I see.

Recently I actually went to visit my old friend in Chicago when I was on vacation, and he had a new 3Dtv setup, so he wanted me to come see it. I had never actually witnessed 3D console gaming before, so I was excited. So I sit down on his couch and we threw on our glasses as he booted up his PS3. He asked which game I wanted to see first, and I told him Wipeout. He accesses Wipeout from his games library, and it prompted him for an update. This is standard fare even on the 360, just sit for a few seconds and the game fires right up. Not the case here. It took about 10 minutes and about 3 or 4 separate loading bars just to start the game up. I was like, meh, you haven't played the game for a while maybe so probably a fluke. Well after I saw Wipeout, I asked to see Uncharted 3. SAME THING HAPPENS. And he was just going off on tangents about how this is a regular occurrance and how it drives him absolutely insane, especially when he's wanting to play with friends who are in the game already. This is the sort of thing I would expect from a free online service, however if they actually charge a fee they could fix things like this I believe.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ryaaan14 said:
however if they actually charge a fee they could fix things like this I believe.

It exists. Its called PSN+ and it auto-downloads patches on a scheduled basis.

Not to mention that unless you need to be playing online -such as quickly demoing something for a friend-, you can simply opt out of the patch process and play your game.

I see.

Recently I actually went to visit my old friend in Chicago when I was on vacation, and he had a new 3Dtv setup, so he wanted me to come see it. I had never actually witnessed 3D console gaming before, so I was excited. So I sit down on his couch and we threw on our glasses as he booted up his PS3. He asked which game I wanted to see first, and I told him Wipeout. He accesses Wipeout from his games library, and it prompted him for an update. This is standard fare even on the 360, just sit for a few seconds and the game fires right up. Not the case here. It took about 10 minutes and about 3 or 4 separate loading bars just to start the game up. I was like, meh, you haven't played the game for a while maybe so probably a fluke. Well after I saw Wipeout, I asked to see Uncharted 3. SAME THING HAPPENS. And he was just going off on tangents about how this is a regular occurrance and how it drives him absolutely insane, especially when he's wanting to play with friends who are in the game already. This is the sort of thing I would expect from a free online service, however if they actually charge a fee they could fix things like this I believe.

PSN+ ... i never see the loadings bar ever again

Misterhbk

I see.

I could see how this could be annoying to some, and isn't the first I've heard of it of course. I play uncharted 3 multiplayer regularly and can't remember the last time there was an update. I guess that all depends on how often you're playing your games though right?

Either way I guess in such a situation you're right. You get what you pay for, although this might have something to do with the hardware of the PS3 itself and not just the software.

Top Bottom