• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP PRICE DROP this weekend, how long until other systems follow?

Takao

Banned
Brettison said:
Is it an adapter that I could always leave in my system and not change the shape? How much does that cost? Either way I have to buy something extra which pushes me to over $150 pretax.

I just want the system and decent storage for $99 bones. I honestly don't mind if I can't get every game on PSN. I'd deal with out say KH or something. I already have headphones and shit to. I just need the PSP with descent memory and my cable to charge that bitch.

It's the same size as a regular Memory Stick, so it's flush. Amazon.com has them for $7.33. You can buy any old MicroSD card and double up. Amazon has a 16GB one for just under $20, but that would put you $5 out of range. :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Jive Turkey said:
Hey I still don't have a DS capable of playing Shantae so...

Then there's the fact that I only want about 4 PSP games.

Then there's the other fact that I have a $200 gift card to Target.

I think I'll end up waiting to find out the Neo-Geo Pocket's price before I make my decision though. Hell it'll probably take me that long to make up my mind anyway.

Now to be fair it might actually be worth it for you if you have a giftcard to target and indeed like a poster said above you could get a bundle. If you could get a game and a memory stick along with the system for $130 you would be decently well off.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Brettison said:
Now to be fair it might actually be worth it for you if you have a giftcard to target and indeed like a poster said above you could get a bundle. If you could get a game and a memory stick along with the system for $130 you would be decently well off.
Yeah it's just I'm buying a house in a few months and I was planning on using that card to help cover all the small stuff that'll pop up. Still if the bundles are indeed $129 as well...

Be strong Jive Turkey! Be strong!

Vanillalite

Takao said:
It's the same size as a regular Memory Stick, so it's flush. Amazon.com has them for $7.33. You can buy any old MicroSD card and double up. Amazon has a 16GB one for just under $20, but that would put you $5 out of range. :p

So does this shit work the same? Like no performance difference or anything? It IS tempting for sure. I just know it would end up being like $200 when all is said and done, and I'm not sure I want to spend $200 right now.

$99 for a Go + a cheap game on PSN would be so much more appealing to my wallets. LOL

bumpkin

I've still got a 1000 series and have been debating upgrading... I know there's a ton out there so this might be a really broad question, but does anyone know which bundles are which model (2000 or 3000 series)? Also, which one has the better screen?

linkboy

Brettison said:
So does this shit work the same? Like no performance difference or anything? It IS tempting for sure. I just know it would end up being like $200 when all is said and done, and I'm not sure I want to spend $200 right now.

$99 for a Go + a cheap game on PSN would be so much more appealing to my wallets. LOL

I use my adapter with my 2000 and it works great. Haven't had a single issue with it.

Takao

Banned
Brettison said:

I actually don't own one because Amazon.com doesn't ship non-DVD/Game goods to Canada (I also rarely use my 3000 now, as my Go goes everywhere), and I'm not sure if any non-sketchy retailers carry that, however, it's been mentioned multiple times in the PSP CFW thread, and only good things were mentioned.

Vanillalite

Why do I have a feeling on my way home from work I'm gonna be trolling the Target isle to see if they have any Bundles on the cheap low?

BTW what size card usually comes with the bundles? 1gig, 2gig, or 4 gig?

PS: MUUSSSTTT REEEESSSSIIISSTTT

This should've happened last year. Hell, it should've happened in late 2009. And the Go should've launched at $199. I guess they were hoping Ghost of Sparta + Go would keep them alive last holiday season?

Eh, at least it's finally happening. It's too late to fix the sinking ship, but it'll slow down its descent for awhile.

LevityNYC

Banned
Cmon...just drop the Go to 149 and I'm in. I own a 2000 and its starting to die on me. The 3000 has a horrible screen with terrible scan lines.

Vanillalite

Guevara said:
I don't know why, but I still kind of want a PSP-GO.

That's because the Go system wise is cool and sleek with nice buttons. Plus since the PSP is on it's way out it's hard to find PSP games anymore anyways unless you luck out or buy online. The cock block has always been IMO price price price for people that don't already own a PSP with a ton of UMDs.

Butofcourse.

My Go is what, 2 weeks past the return date? And not a moment too soon it drops in price.

Also Blockbusters in Canada were selling the Gos for 99 bucks if you managed to snag one, fuck a hoe.

Beyond that though, its been worth the purchase because there is what seems to be a metric ton of shit to play, I will never have enough time to play them all. Only have three games though, 2 are pretty good so far. I definitely want Tactics Ogre but the truth is my brain feels like mush, literally. I haven't done anything mentally stimulating for a long ass time and I feel like I wouldn't be able to grasp anything in the game. Sometimes it takes me a long ass time just to make out a sentence :/

T-Matt

If the Dsi xl ever gets a significant drop I'll probably pick one up, I like big ass screens.
I think the 360 and ps3 will get some kind of price drop this year.

Takao

Banned
bumpkin said:
I've still got a 1000 series and have been debating upgrading... I know there's a ton out there so this might be a really broad question, but does anyone know which bundles are which model (2000 or 3000 series)? Also, which one has the better screen?

2000's screen is exactly the same as the 1000 series. It has ghosting issues, and dull colours. The 3000's screen has vivid colours, no ghosting issues, but scanlines. Go's screen has no issues at all.

As for bundles, there's a lot of the 3000's, but I made an album, if you didn't see it there (note, there are a few retailer exclusive bundles) it's a 2000 (I can't remember that far back to tell you of any other ones). If all else fails, the box usually notes which model it is or you can look at the PSP unit itself, if it has a button that says "HOME" on the face plate, instead of the PS logo, that means it's not a 3000 or if the Sony logo is on the right hand side it's not a 3000.

Brettison said:
BTW what size card usually comes with the bundles? 1gig, 2gig, or 4 gig?

Sony's cheap, most bundles only come with a 1GB-2GB card.

Guevara

Brettison said:
That's because the Go system wise is cool and sleek with nice buttons. Plus since the PSP is on it's way out it's hard to find PSP games anymore anyways unless you luck out or buy online. The cock block has always been IMO price price price for people that don't already own a PSP with a ton of UMDs.
I actual have a PSP-3000 already, though not that many games. I want the Go because it's a portable that's actually small and portable. I wouldn't mind using it for music too.

EDIT: Does the Go use the same memory sticks as the 3000?

alphaNoid

Banned
To be honest, I'm not sure we'll see any price drops on the consoles this year. Move and Kinect are out in the wild now and both Sony/MS are going to ride that fresh feel for as long as the money keeps coming in. Those products are meant to add value to the brand, so that allows them to hold on price. Sony needs to keep making money not drop the price.. however they are in a pinch. MS is outselling both now and why would they do a price drop? Only reason would be to counter act Sony doing one.

Nintendo? I think on paper it seems logical with their sales dropping and all but I also think Nintendo is starting to act as arrogant as Sony was in the PS2 era. Not so much on price but just in general. I dont really think Nintendo feels they 'need' to drop the price, key first party software launches will spike hardware sales enough to float them until SuperWii launches.

*shrug*

Also, the PSP dropped in price? Thats cute, but whatever it takes to get us closer to the launch of NGP... you sexy bitch you, *blush*

So do those microSD adapters give you any speed problems when playing games off the memory stick? I have a 2000 with CFW, and I really like having all my games on the stick because it saves on battery life since the UMD drive isn't spinning.

If the go dropped I'd probably bite, but I'd want to do CFW on it as well. Especially since the 20 games I have for the PSP aren't transferable. Did sony every do anything for people who owned the UMD games and bought a GO?

bigace33

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
PSP still exists?
When it's all said and done,the psp will go down as one of the best handhelds of all time. Years from now you'll be praising it for having such a great library of games. Much like how people do the dreamcast today.

linkboy

RoninChaos said:
So do those microSD adapters give you any speed problems when playing games off the memory stick? I have a 2000 with CFW, and I really like having all my games on the stick because it saves on battery life since the UMD drive isn't spinning.

If the go dropped I'd probably bite, but I'd want to do CFW on it as well. Especially since the 20 games I have for the PSP aren't transferable. Did sony every do anything for people who owned the UMD games and bought a GO?

I use a MicroSD adapter to run my games and I haven't had a single problem with it. Works perfectly fine.

And no, Sony never did anything for people who own UMD games and bought a Go.

Spike

Since the beginning of the year, Wal-Mart Canada has put the 4GB Xbox 360 S on sale for $149 at least three times. I believe we will see a standard price drop at E3.

Izayoi

Banned
Why can't the NGP offer some sort of backward compatibility?

I want to buy a PSP but I don't want to have a bunch of games that I can't play when the NGP launches.

Carrying two systems and a phone with me is enough, thanks.

Takao

Banned
Izayoi said:
Why can't the NGP offer some sort of backward compatibility?

I want to buy a PSP but I don't want to have a bunch of games that I can't play when the NGP launches.

Carrying two systems and a phone with me is enough, thanks.

NGP is backwards compatible with all PSP PSN downloads.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Ninja Scooter said:
clearance the PSPGo to $99 already. I want a portable PSN/PSone Classics machine.

I would actually buy it at $99. That's way too tempting. I keep hoping I'll see it for crazy cheap at target clearance one day.

For the bad rap the PSP library gets, there sure are a lot of great titles. Hell, just having Wipeout Pure and Pulse was worth the price of admission alone. Throw in stuff like Persona 3 Portable, Tactics Ogre, Motorstorm Arctic Edge, and a little bit of Lumines...shit. Hell, I haven't even begun Valkyria Chronicles II yet. I haven't even gotten all the Y's games yet. What are there...like 3 or 4 now?

Izayoi

Banned
Takao said:
NGP is backwards compatible with all PSP PSN downloads.
Right, but that doesn't help me with the disc based games I'll be purchasing. Unless it's possible to buy all PSP titles as downloads?

Salsa

Izayoi said:
Right, but that doesn't help me with the disc based games I'll be purchasing. Unless it's possible to buy all PSP titles as downloads?

You'll just miss some stuff. Some of it pretty good.

Lumines, Birth by sleep, and a couple of other good ones.

Id say its still worth it based on the games available on PSN.

Takao

Banned
Izayoi said:

Many PSP games are available as PSN downloads. The few that aren't are games you'll just have to suck it up for. Playing the PSN releases shortens load times, and increases battery life over UMD.

NolbertoS

Bought my PSP-3000 with movie and free game on black friday for the same price, so this deal is meh to me, but tempting to buy another PSP, only cuz Sony fucked me over with eliminated the UMD's. Got a ton of UMD's to play through and SOL, with the next gen PSP.

Salsa

Pretty sure there'll be a way to play UMD based games on a custom-firmware NGP by ripping them. Matter of time.

careful

I bought a used Go for a bit over $100. Neat little device. Can't believe how actually pocketable it is. I still mostly play it at home, but the fact it was so small, I brought it on my metro ride this morning.

I also want to chime in and say that Tactics Ogre is fantastic. System seller right there. Also zero load time on the Go. I was impressed.

Vagabundo

KittyKittyBangBang said:
My PSP-1000 is now completely jacked, first the UMD drive went out, now the battery wont hold a minute of a charge.

Im just gonna hold out until NGP, but this is a nice little price dip

You can fix that up pretty niffty. Install the homebrew, iso loader and buy a 2200Amh battery from ebay.

RPS37

Brettison said:
If the PSP Go was $99 I'd literally get my keys and drive to my 24 hour walmart and buy one now.
Basically exactly what I came into the thread to say.
And so we wait.

angelfly

Came in expecting it to be the Go model. Not too interested in the 3000 since I still have my 1000 but a decent price drop on the Go would have been nice. As for the other systems I'm guessing E3 will see a PS3 drop.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
cnizzle06 said:
Oh come on! I bought a psp, a 13"macbook, and an ipad all last weekend!
Really? Maybe you don't need the money. I mean, that is what, $1500-$2000 in a few days?

Top Bottom