• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP PRICE DROP this weekend, how long until other systems follow?

Xena

mclaren777 said:
The PSP has tons of great games but I still can't see myself buying one because I don't have a good reason (commute, etc) to own a portable gaming system.
Shouldn't the games themselves be a GOOD reason to get the system?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Quixzlizx said:
There were some Hardee's coupons floating around that were $50 off of a PSP purchase at Target. There was also a Radio Shack sale for a $150 Go. Pricematched at Target and used the coupon for a total of $100.

The reason to buy them is because they have great games.
\/\/\/
Woah they let you price match and use the coupon? Gosh damn.

Shit I'd be happy if I just had the Hardee's coupon that worked. I would get a 3000 in a heart beat with the 50 bucks off at target.

depward

If you don't already own a PSP, shame on you. With this price drop, everyone needs to buy one. Such a quality system with a great assortment of games.

TruHero

Banned
A pricedrop was coming, no doubt. IT will be interesting to see how long Sony keeps the PSP "alive" once the PSP2 drops.

Hopefully, this means a PS3 pricecut is coming soon. More hardware sales means potential for higher software sales for all the great PS3 games coming out this year. And I'm sure MS would match any pricecut.

seabee said:

eh, I'm in the same boat. There's about 10 PSP games I'd like to play, but I can't think of when I'd play my PSP if I had one.

krae_man

PS3 price drop is coming next fiscal year pretty much guaranteed. 360 will probably drop in price around the same time.

see5harp

I don't think MS needs to cut until Sony does. In fact, I suspect they'll hold the prices until they actually start selling less than the PS3 and then adjust accordingly. They'll probably keep the arcade SKU at $199.99 until their next gen system drops. They can just drop the price on their $299.99 and $399.99 bundles with their higher profit margins.

Massa

kunonabi said:
Drop the psp to 100$ and I'll bite. Not paying any more for a system that has like 7 games I want.

So buy it for $130 and get 6 instead of 7 games.

The last price drop before this one was in 2007. If you're dead set on waiting you're going to wait for a long time.

Vanillalite

$99.99 seems to be the general consensus for this thread to really get people to jump. $129.99 P
puts it into ehh sort of want territory for many it appears. Where as 100 people would be out shopping.

The question is what about the mainstream? Will this price drop be enough? Does Sony feel with the piracy issue they'd still rather try and make as much as possible with the initial system sale? Would it be more beneficial for Sony to maybe say take less on say the go and get it out at 100 even if it is against their normal NA plans to make money on the front end and just get systems out there. Maybe get a late gen push even at $99.99 if only to get the PSP in people's minds again so they have some good momentum and will rolling into the NGP.

Maybe they want to sort of hit reset though and just say fuck it and make as much cash as possible via hardware sales on the PSP and just start fresh with the NGP.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
GeoramA said:
Tempting, but I'll wait until Sony announces the NGP's price. I have no problem waiting because I'm not a huge handheld fan.

If NGP is over $299, then PSP 3000 here I come.
I'm in the same boat.

$299 NGP = Day 1
> $299 = PSP 3k

I've been wanting a psp for awhile now and $130 isn't too bad I guess. Have a few ps1 titles from psn and would love to start taking them with me and put actual time to them.

kodt

Banned
seabee said:

True, would be nice if all PSP games worked on PS3 through emulation :)

I have a PSP Go and only play it using TV out and a Dual Shock 3.

Nekobo

The Go is totally worth it if you get it for $100.

What I did this weekend: got my copy of Tactics Ogre in the mail, ripped the iso using my PSP phatty, uploaded it into my CFW (6.35 Pro A4) enabled Go, synced my Six-Axis controller to it, and output the game onto my TV via component cables. Been playing Persona 3 Portable the same way, too. Console quality gaming, basically. Good times.

Gonna do the same for the Ys games and Parasite Eve games.

Cornbread78

Raxus said:
I'll be sure to download it in my jailbroken PSP.

Is it me, or has everone here on GAF that Hacks or uses CFW, all of a sudden become loud and proud? I mean, is your E-Peen all of a sudden becoming large and swollen at bragging about it?

mollipen

TruHero said:
eh, I'm in the same boat. There's about 10 PSP games I'd like to play, but I can't think of when I'd play my PSP if I had one.

The same kinds of times that you'd play a console or PC game?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
timetokill said:
Eh, too little, too late.

So negative. There's plenty of great PSP games to play right now and even more this year. One of them even just came out: Tactics Ogre.

Junior

Banned
shidoshi said:

I have a PSP and only play it at home. But I'll admit, it really hurts my PSP playtime when I have a PC and PS3 in the same room. When i have time to game, I just about always opt for PS3/PC over PSP.

Would love to have another PSP Go if it's less than $100.

My current one is running 6.35 Pro and has my NA account on it while my JP Dissidia 3000 is on OFW 6.37 and has my JP account.

Basically, I want to have another Go so that I can keep my Japanese account - as playing Dissidia/Duodecim is far more enjoyable on the Go than on the 3000 (I ALWAYS manage to turn off the system because of the crap location of the power switch during a fight).

bigace33

Quixzlizx said:
If you pay attention, you can get a new Go for $100. I did roughly a month ago.

I think Gamestop sells them used for around $100 as well.
Yep, GOs are 109 at Gamestop.

TruHero

Banned
shidoshi said:

That's the thing; I'd rather play my consoles or the rare time I opt for PC gaming. I own a DSi and I only play it when I travel for work/play.

...And yes I know that PSP Gos are cheap at GameStop.

I'll probably ask whoever's working tonight to do a system check for me, but if I have to drive more than 2 hours to get one in fantastic condition (and is not a refurb), forget it.

I'll probably have to get a black one to tell the difference (my current one is white).

mclaren777

seabee said:
My backlog it over 12 games deep (some from 2009 are still in shrink wrap) so I can't justify buying anything more. But if I did have a long commute on public transportation, I'd definitely pick up a PSP.

Sweet price drop. Will definitely pick one up. Sold my PSP-1000 ages ago. One question though, are all the games being released on PSN? I don't want build up a collection of UMDs which I can't use with NGP, downloaded games are confirmed to work on it and I don't want a PS3 like situation where I need to use legacy hardware to play older games.

Kagari said:
So negative. There's plenty of great PSP games to play right now and even more this year. One of them even just came out: Tactics Ogre.

I absolutely agree with you as an end user (my PSP is getting tons of use these days) but think from a business standpoint they should've made this cut like a year ago. Still, better late than never, especially for everyone out there who for some damn fool reason hasn't gotten themselves a PSP yet.

Curufinwe

mclaren777 said:
The PSP has tons of great games but I still can't see myself buying one because I don't have a good reason (commute, etc) to own a portable gaming system.

I live two minutes from my work by car, but I still find tons of time to play games on my PSP. I was too sleepy to play Vanquish last night, so I lay on my bed and played Tactics Ogre for an hour before falling asleep.

Aru

Celine said:
How many and what Ys are available in Europe for PSP ?
Might actually buy one ...

Ys I&II, Oath in Felgana (III) and VII are available on PSN only in Europe.
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim is available on UMD only.

zomgbbqftw said:
Sweet price drop. Will definitely pick one up. Sold my PSP-1000 ages ago. One question though, are all the games being released on PSN? I don't want build up a collection of UMDs which I can't use with NGP, downloaded games are confirmed to work on it and I don't want a PS3 like situation where I need to use legacy hardware to play older games.

Sony says they're trying to get older PSP games up on PSN for the NGP launch.

Celine

Aru said:
Ys I&II, Oath in Felgana (III) and VII are available on PSN only in Europe.
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim is available on UMD only.
Thank you.
Do I need a Go to download from the PSN or the previous models are "PSN enabled" too?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I paid 192 or something for the PSPGo on Amazon and I've been loving almost every second of it.

I also had no idea how to get the free games until I read that you just get an email one day to the account tied with your PSN account.

Vanillalite

Ran by target this evening. They were selling bundles for $130 but were sold out. They only had 2 core systems left. Didn't check the other Target by my house yet though.

Kagari said:

Sure, and I would love to play Tactics Ogre. But considering there is at least one new handheld coming out this year (3DS) and possibly a second (PSP2) that won't be able to play Tactics Ogre, not to mention a ton of other games on other platforms in the near term, I just can't justify spending $130 + the cost of Tactics Ogre or whatever other games I would want to play.

That's why I said it's too little, too late. If they had dropped it a year ago, when it was already clear the PSP was basically dead in the US, I probably would've gotten it.

Massa

The NGP will most certainly be able to play Tactics Ogre. You'll probably even get a decent enough deal trading in your PSP when buying an NGP, I hear Gamestop is giving $75 for a DS Lite on a 3DS purchase.

Izayoi

Banned
I have a quick question.

The NGP will be able to download old PSP titles from the PS Store, right? Like, they'll remain available for a long time after the PSP has been put down?

I really, really want to play Tactics Ogre but if it's going to be available on the NGP I'll just wait.

Takao

Banned
I wonder if there will be a new Marcus ad to commemorate the occasion?

LOL no, like always this will likely be unadvertised.

Izayoi said:
I have a quick question.

The NGP will be able to download old PSP titles from the PS Store, right? Like, they'll remain available for a long time after the PSP has been put down?

I really, really want to play Tactics Ogre but if it's going to be available on the NGP I'll just wait.

Then...why don't you buy the game now and play it? Downloads are tied to your PSN account so you can always re-download it once the NGP comes out.

Elios83 said:
Nice, this also adds credibility to the PS3 March/April 199$ price drop with new model rumor.

No way. Sony will ride out $299 until September at TGS. The months from now to October are non-critical, and by cutting now they may garner 1-2m extra in sales but lose a lot of money because 28/32nm isn't fully ready to go so the build cost isn't low enough to warrant price cut and stay in profit.

Izayoi

Banned
Auron_Kale said:
Then...why don't you buy the game now and play it? Downloads are tied to your PSN account so you can always re-download it once the NGP comes out.
I don't have a PSP. What I'm wondering is if I don't get a PSP now will I be able to purchase the game from the PSN Store on the NGP? This will determine whether or not I get a PSP.

Celine said:
Thank you.
Do I need a Go to download from the PSN or the previous models are "PSN enabled" too?

All are PSN enabled. The 3000 is great as you can play UMD games as well as PSN downloads.

Top Bottom