• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Public Announcement: Tales of the Abyss 3DS is out today

Luigiv

Not good. The text floats too far above the screen and the menus and anime cutscenes aren't in 3D. The game itself doesn't mesh too well with the idea of 3D like Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land, or Revelations do either.

Actually the text is at exactly screen level. It's the scenes that are too are too far away from the camera.

PKrockin

Actually the text is at exactly screen level. It's the scenes that are too are too far away from the camera.

I agree, the camera is a bit too far. But what I mean the distance between the speech bubbles and and the characters/environment is way bigger than it should be.

edit: Another complaint about the 3D... the screen switches to 2D when you touch an enemy. It would have been cool to see the screen shatter in 3D.

Eusis

I agree, the camera is a bit too far. But what I mean the distance between the speech bubbles and and the characters/environment is way bigger than it should be.

edit: Another complaint about the 3D... the screen switches to 2D when you touch an enemy. It would have been cool to see the screen shatter in 3D.
Stuff like that is why the 3D addition feels kind of lazy. And I've noticed that while characters SEEM to look as good as they did before, texture quality took a small drop. Game also looks washed out compared to Abyss on my TV, but that's probably a fault of the 3DS screen and could well be rendered moot in a revision further down the road.

I'd probably just stick with PS2 if it weren't for the loading being killed (wish they got rid of the indicator outside of the few cases it DOES take awhile) and liking the portability. The font's only an issue at all because of how nice the original font was, I find the 3DS font generally inoffensive and kind of likeable in simplicity, moreso than some of the fonts used at higher resolutions like SE has done anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
best version just for "let's go mew mew"
I... I disagree... -_-

I put Mieu on the same level of Mormo in that I dislike them a lot.

That reminds me, Abyss doesn't have a bestiary does it?
That really kinda annoyed me seeing as I was pretty obsessive about it in other Tales games.
No, which is a rather odd omission, isn't it, especially since they give you the Magic Lens to check enemy HP. I focus on completing the Monster Book/bestiary in other Tales games too.

Stuff like that is why the 3D addition feels kind of lazy. And I've noticed that while characters SEEM to look as good as they did before, texture quality took a small drop. Game also looks washed out compared to Abyss on my TV, but that's probably a fault of the 3DS screen and could well be rendered moot in a revision further down the road.

I'd probably just stick with PS2 if it weren't for the loading being killed (wish they got rid of the indicator outside of the few cases it DOES take awhile) and liking the portability. The font's only an issue at all because of how nice the original font was, I find the 3DS font generally inoffensive and kind of likeable in simplicity, moreso than some of the fonts used at higher resolutions like SE has done anyway.

I noticed it seemed washed out when I started playing it yesterday, then I turned off the 3DS light "Power Saving" mode and the game looked much better. I noticed it in the mountain at the beginning of the game, Tear and Luke looked really bright and washed out while the mountainous region around them seemed fine.

Goli

Got it yesterday and enjoying it a lot, although I think my enjoyment might diminish as I get further into the game since back when the PS2 version was released I played it pretty much in its entirety on multiplayer which is why I think I might remember the game being better than it actually is, solely for those multiplayer memories.
However there are a few things that really bother me:
-The font is terrible.
-Battle HUD takes too much space, they definitely should have reworked that and not just shrink the numbers.
-A lot of the 2D elements like the "Level Up" sprite, or the battle portraits, for example, that pop up after/in battle are extremely blurry and muddy.
-Most if not ALL textures look like badly compressed, artifact-ridden .jpg files, most also look washed out in comparison to the original.
-Anime cutscenes too are very low quality and artifact-ridden... which is strange considering late DS games already had overcome problems like these.

Regarding the textures, I've noticed it seems to be a common issue with 3D 3DS games... OoT3D also had lots of bad textures that were artifact filled, and MK7 has a few that look like it too (although it's much more clean most of the time). Maybe it's a thing with 3DS hardware? I don't know but they make everything look terrible to me at least.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Amazon finally shipped my copy yesterday afternoon. Was kind of worried they might have ended up selling out of copies and didn't have one to send, and my near-year long preorder wouldn't have been fulfilled.

I'm stuck on the part after
you go into the town with the wagon. The bridges are out and they say I'm supposed to go southwest of the town.
What am I supposed to do next? The FAQs are of no help.

I accidentally skipped the cooking tutorial: is there anything important I should know? Is there any relevant cooking to do in the first town?

I accidentally skipped the cooking tutorial: is there anything important I should know? Is there any relevant cooking to do in the first town?

There's a Spaghetti recipe quest from the left-most house in town.

Cooking won't be too helpful early on because the healing they do is so small. The recipes will get much better though. Just remember that you can set your after-battle cooking shortcuts in the menu.

Remember to get the Collector's Book from that town as well. After you go looking for the "thieves", talk to the apple merchant (you'll know who). He will send you on a quest. Complete it and all the food in town will be discounted by 20% which is only marginally helpful early on, but more helpful later on because it decreases the price of food in later towns.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is shit is already sold out? What the heck Namco?

Don't release enough copies of the game to go around. Complain because nobody bought it.

They totally released this as "lip service" to appease Tales fans since the localization was already done. Maybe they'll do another small round of copies since it sold out in less than a week, but who knows.

Emitan

Can't believe a game can sell out in TWO DAYS. They should have shipped some more to Amazon in case the game got a slow burn or something.

There's a Spaghetti recipe quest from the left-most house in town.

Cooking won't be too helpful early on because the healing they do is so small. The recipes will get much better though. Just remember that you can set your after-battle cooking shortcuts in the menu.

Remember to get the Collector's Book from that town as well. After you go looking for the "thieves", talk to the apple merchant (you'll know who). He will send you on a quest. Complete it and all the food in town will be discounted by 20% which is only marginally helpful early on, but more helpful later on because it decreases the price of food in later towns.

Thanks!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm stuck on the part after
you go into the town with the wagon. The bridges are out and they say I'm supposed to go southwest of the town.
What am I supposed to do next? The FAQs are of no help.
You're at the beginning, right? You're supposed to the forest to the northwest (it's called Cheagle Woods, and it's the blue dot on the map here).

vall03 said:
after reading Mormo, I just remembered I had Radiant Mythology which I barely even touched...
lol, it's not bad. I like Radiant Mythology 2 much better, though.

Haven't played RM3 yet because it hasn't gone budget yet!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No, I'm past that part. I'm at the part where you have to cross bridges that are apparently out. I'm about 3.5 hours in.
Oh, I'm sorry. You're supposed to go south to Fubras River--It's south of the village on the map I linked. (As you were exiting St. Binah, the merchant came and said that the bridge was broken, right?)

Getting there is a bit of a pain in the butt, so here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K0AyCs6Val8#t=322s

M3d10n

No, that's because the PS2 game was designed to be displayed on a CRT which oversaturates everything and when the assets are displayed on a LCD which displays the colors as-is, they look washed out. It irks me that people insist that the 3DS screen must be bad, when it's far from the truth.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was going to make a NA Release OT but got complaints.

I also PM'd a mod to move it but didn't hear anything back :(

My order was delivered yesterday.

Datschge

No, which is a rather odd omission, isn't it, especially since they give you the Magic Lens to check enemy HP. I focus on completing the Monster Book/bestiary in other Tales games too.
They probably removed the bestiary once the management decided that all future 3D Tales games shall reuse the monster designs over and over again. Without the bestiary that's a little harder to confirm after all. ;)

Something I've noticed about most Tales games is that when I first play one, it's a little boring or uninteresting. But if I play for a couple hours, it'll get sooo much better over time. When I first played Phantasia, Destiny, and Abyss, I got bored and gave up after like an hour, but then later went back to them with more patience, and I really enjoy them a lot now.

Only Eternia was interesting to me from the very beginning.

Oh, I'm sorry. You're supposed to go south to Fubras River--It's south of the village on the map I linked. (As you were exiting St. Binah, the merchant came and said that the bridge was broken, right?)

Getting there is a bit of a pain in the butt, so here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K0AyCs6Val8#t=322s

Yeah, that was a pain to figure out, both times I played the game. I have no idea how it's so well hidden...

Roto13

I was considering buying this but the criticisms in this thread have made me decide to just skip it. I already have the PS2 version so I guess I'm not really missing out on anything.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The main thing this does it make me wish we get a really good made for the system Tales game. Problem is we'll probably get a half bake attempt, and even that won't ever leave Japan. :(

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This game is awesome, I've played about 8 hours of it so far, a bit confused about a few things. Hopefully GAF can help me out!

I was wondering about the
spells (I think they're called artes?) that get placed on the field, once you go inside the circle what button do you press? It's only ever worked a few times with me pressing B but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - is it the timing?

Also, Luke is a jerk and super mean to Mieu an that annoys me because Mieu is kinda annoying, but cool.

This game is awesome, I've played about 8 hours of it so far, a bit confused about a few things. Hopefully GAF can help me out!

spells (I think they're called artes?) that get placed on the field, once you go inside the circle what button do you press? It's only ever worked a few times with me pressing B but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - is it the timing?

Also, Luke is a jerk and super mean to Mieu an that annoys me because Mieu is kinda annoying, but cool.

The FOF (Field of Focus) is basically a circle that expands.
White means they aren't active.
Colored means that they are active.
You have to enter the circle and use an arte that corresponds to the circle's color (Brown is Earth, Green is Wind, Blue is water, ect).
You just have to test out different artes to see which will benefit from the FOF's element.

Roto13

That doesn't need a spoiler tag. :p

Low level spells might need to be cast a few times to get a proper "field of fonons" in play. (If it's glowing a colour, it's ready to use.) Certain attacks change inside of certain elemental fields of fonons. Which attack does what with which element is something you'll have to figure out for yourself with trial and error. Or just look up a list somewhere. :p

Got my copy today. Luke's a little prick, in't he? I guess I lucked out getting it. As soon as I heard the words "limited print run" a week ago I ordered my copy off Amazon.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the help! I'll try it out.

I cannot believe I totally missed out on the game on the PS2, how foolish of me. I also passed on Tales of Symphonia for the GameCube when I was younger; I always saw it around for $9.99 at Walmart but I never picked it up ...

I'm pretty tempted to get Tales of Vesperia after I'm done with Abyss, via the games on demand service on the 360.

iammeiam

My TRU copy went from preorder to backorder to special order, and they've now pulled the page from their site so who knows when or if they're going to get copies.

Threw an order in at Amazon to see if I can get in on a hypothetical second shipment, but man TRU is pissing me off. Now I have to get a copy of the game just because they don't want me to have it.

I'm about three hours in so far (just beat the first boss). I'm enjoying it enough, but so far I haven't really taken to the characters immediately like I did with Symphonia and especially Vesperia (I loved the hell out of Yuri). I like them enough, though, and Luke's such a damn prick I'm just looking forward to seeing his metamorphosis into someone who isn't a dick.

It's a shame that the 3D effects are almost nonexistent, though. I'm a big proponent of the 3DS' 3D effects in games that do a good job utilizing them (Super Mario 3D Land, Ridge Racer 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, etc.), but this is the first 3DS game I've played where I feel playing with the 3D slider all the way off truly does make no difference. Seriously, the "3D" is so botched in this port that there's hardly any difference between having the 3D slider all the way on versus just turned off.

But, oh well. That's ultimately a fairly minor quibble, as the game itself is still fun. I just hope the story ramps up and gets going fairly soon!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about three hours in so far (just beat the first boss). I'm enjoying it enough, but so far I haven't really taken to the characters immediately like I did with Symphonia and especially Vesperia (I loved the hell out of Yuri). I like them enough, though, and Luke's such a damn prick I'm just looking forward to seeing his metamorphosis into someone who isn't a dick.

It's a shame that the 3D effects are almost nonexistent, though. I'm a big proponent of the 3DS' 3D effects in games that do a good job utilizing them (Super Mario 3D Land, Ridge Racer 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, etc.), but this is the first 3DS game I've played where I feel playing with the 3D slider all the way off truly does make no difference. Seriously, the "3D" is so botched in this port that there's hardly any difference between having the 3D slider all the way on versus just turned off.

But, oh well. That's ultimately a fairly minor quibble, as the game itself is still fun. I just hope the story ramps up and gets going fairly soon!

I'm the same, usually I play all my 3DS games in 3D, but with this one it's completely off, but I don't really mind that much.

Is this a limited run in Europe as well? I kinda want it, but it's 43 € on Amazon, that's a lot of money for a portable game. :/
There was a new shipment very recently. Before that it was sold out (link to German Amazon discussion) for a couple of weeks, if you disregarded the people selling used (and sometimes new) copies at 90€ or so. I had missed out on the first shipment, but now I could finally order a copy from Amazon.

Got it Saturday and, although I didn't have a lot of time to play yet, had a lot of fun with it so far. I even kinda like the 3D, though I do not care much for the floating text balloons. Those \|/-effects that sometimes float around people's heads look terrible with 3D enabled, but those are rather rare, so I just keep the slider at max anyway.

Giolon

I was planning on picking this up later, but after I heard this might be a limited print run I ran out and got a copy for me and my friend whichi were the last two my Gamestop had.

I started playing it, and I'm really digging it, even though it's 90% the same as the other two Tales games I've played (Symphonia, Vesperia). Man they sure reuse all the same story beats in these games don't they?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
10 hours in and I still can't seem to grasp the idea of Fields of Fonon's despite people telling me about them here.

Maybe it's because I'm Luke, I don't think he has any element attacks ...?

mclem

Uhoh.

I've just left
Chesedonia
. Can I assume it'll be *hours* before I can get back there? Can I fix those two things when I do?

Also: Is there any reason to hold on to old weapons in this one? Vesperia caught me out with Karol's original hammer.

Either way, I guess I do want to sit on them until I get the collector's book, just in case?

sfried

I've played it, and I really don't understand where the complaints are coming from. Compared to the MGS3D Demo, this is just nitpicking.
I was considering buying this but the criticisms in this thread have made me decide to just skip it. I already have the PS2 version so I guess I'm not really missing out on anything.
There was a side-by-side comparison of the 3DS version with the PS2 version, and the latter had way longer loading times.

The 3DS version is the way to go.

PKrockin

10 hours in and I still can't seem to grasp the idea of Fields of Fonon's despite people telling me about them here.

Maybe it's because I'm Luke, I don't think he has any element attacks ...?

I made a video guide on FoFs last year. Check it out, it's only two and a half minutes and it should explain everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBJGvm9dQo

Uhoh.

I've just left
Chesedonia
. Can I assume it'll be *hours* before I can get back there? Can I fix those two things when I do?

Also: Is there any reason to hold on to old weapons in this one? Vesperia caught me out with Karol's original hammer.

Either way, I guess I do want to sit on them until I get the collector's book, just in case?

Collector's Book data is recorded even if you don't have the Collector's Book.

You don't need to hold on to old weapons. You use items dropped by monsters and search points to craft items. Though keep in mind that the prices of weapons and items will rise and fall during points in the story. It may be a good idea to hold on to weapons until you get the opportunity to sell them for a great price. Capitalism, ho!

So what exactly is the difference between Semi-Auto and Manual control modes? I didn't really notice too much of a difference when I first tried Manual mode, but I didn't really try it out for more than a couple battles. Is there any advantage to one mode or the other?

Top Bottom