• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Public Announcement: Tales of the Abyss 3DS is out today

Luigiv

Isn't aliasing added which 3d off for most games? There ain't any aliasing at all... which is why I recommend the opposite. You notice the jaggies a little less when it's in 3d.

You both have it backwards. You both meant to say antialiasing. Aliasing = Jagies, antialiasing gets rid of aliasing.

Anyway, TotA does not add AA to 2D mode as far as I can tell. I just leave 3D on because it makes the character models look bigger.

Synless

You both have it backwards. You both meant to say antialiasing. Aliasing = Jagies, antialiasing gets rid of aliasing.

Anyway, TotA does not add AA to 2D mode as far as I can tell. I just leave 3D on because it makes the character models look bigger.

You are right. If anything putting it in 3D mode makes the jaggies stick out more.

Ties

Banned

Ooooh. Thanks for correcting me! I'm not too confident on my gaming lingo at all. Much appreciated.

And how do you guys hold your 3DS and how far is your 3D slider up? The 3D in any game gives me such an eye sore that I don't even bother turning it on.

Luigiv

Ooooh. Thanks for correcting me! I'm not too confident on my gaming lingo at all. Much appreciated.

And how do you guys hold your 3DS and how far is your 3D slider up? The 3D in any game gives me such an eye sore that I don't even bother turning it on.

I generally leave the 3D slider all the way (or at least I have lately it ultimately depends on the game). I find TotA to be fairly easy on the eyes in 3D because it's so shallow.

Ultimately, though, the more you use 3D the less eye straining it'll be. Stereo 3D causes eye strain because it creates a convergence-focus conflict that your eyes are at first not use to. The screen creates multiple levels of convergence but all at a single level of focus. As you use 3D more, you're eyes will get more use to decoupling focus from convergence and it stops being uncomfortable.

This game is quite easy, and definitely easier than Symphonia or Eternia for example
I don't think so... I'm at some mech boss on a ship right now, and it has 18000 HP and my attacks do ~20 to it, so is taking me forever to defeat. I haven't had this much trouble with Symphonia or Eternia.

I wonder if I accidentally selected Hard difficulty... :p

Uh... confirmation please!!!! Also, text does look like ass. Something out of the GBA generation or something.
Does nobody like pixel fonts anymore...? I find them better looking and a little easier to read than anti-aliased fonts.

Eusis

I doubt Grace f will have AS limited a print run... or at least, it won't FEEL that way. It's way quicker to produce optical media, so if it turns out they burn through their supply then there'll probably be new shipments very quickly, whereas Tales of the Abyss is as good as gone for another month I bet.

Thoraxes

You know, I was all ready to knock the 30 FPS battles, but once I got a full party and that shit is still running smooth as hell, I really don't mind it at all and I can't really notice.

So this is a party based action RPG? Never really played Tales before and I'm looking for a new 3DS game.

Essentially, yes. Also if you're gonna do it, do it like, very soon. You won't have very many options soon to jump on this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Super Mario 3D Land and Ocarina of Time 3D are the only games which I've used the 3D with successfully. A little bit of Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars too. Abyss... I don't really see much of an effect with max 3D on.

*Do note that I can't see 3D very well.

I wonder if I accidentally selected Hard difficulty... :p
You can always change it back if you did pick it.

I picked hard too, but... well, my opinion of it won't matter since I've been through the game before, lol. Try your best, and use Free Run if you get into a tight spot. Are you equipping AD Skills?

kiryogi

Banned
Whelp done my part. 4 times now.

abyss3ds.png

mclem

Recently started this (It's the PAL release, I've been sitting on it for a short while).

Can anyone clarify something? I'm getting lots of items with the 'horn' (for want of a better word) icon from fights, listed as "Trade". In Vesperia those were used for crafting, but I've not seen any mention of crafting mechanics at the point I've reached in the storyline. Are those just to be sold, or should I keep hanging onto them for some crafting available down the line? Or do they have some other purpose?

Currently about 2 hours in
heading to the forest to investigate the "thieves"
. Really liking it so far and glad I jumped on board with this from the get go, given the limited print run.

How is everyone playing - 3D on or off? I find myself turning it off and not really minding forgoing the "3D effect."

Also, as I've only played 2 Tales games in the past, I'm not entirely sure how the new battle moves are unlocked. Do you have to come upon them through random button combinations, or are they based entirely on level?

RPGCrazied

Starting to play the PS2 version. You say the world map is fixed? I forgot just how much walking around the map is a pain in the ass. Seems like its running at 5fps when turning the camera.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This game is crazy addictive! I've been playing so much lately ... been ignoring Resident Evil: Revelations lol.

neoemonk

This is my first Tales game but I'm really liking it so far. I snapped it up because I've been feeling the need for a good JRPG and I knew it would be a limited print run.

I don't know if I should pick up Vesperia or Graces f next. I might get Vesperia because I think I can get it from the 360 download service for $30.

This is the kind of game that would totally benefit from a demo. I'm on the fence here between the glowing impressions and my not knowing if this JRPG will click with me.

This is the kind of game that would totally benefit from a demo. I'm on the fence here between the glowing impressions and my not knowing if this JRPG will click with me.

Heh, perhaps not. So far every demo they've released has changed my mind about games I had previously assumed I'd buy.

Datschge

How is everyone playing - 3D on or off? I find myself turning it off and not really minding forgoing the "3D effect."
The original is "flat 3D" so you are technically not missing anything by disabling it. I like the (albeit shallow) deep 3D effect so I keep it on.

Heh, perhaps not. So far every demo they've released has changed my mind about games I had previously assumed I'd buy.

Hmm...that's interesting. I thought all the demos have been pretty impressive so far, outside of whatever that framerate is during the MGS3 cutscenes.

Still, I'd like to know more about how the game plays, I'm not too familiar with Tales.

Currently about 2 hours in
heading to the forest to investigate the "thieves"
. Really liking it so far and glad I jumped on board with this from the get go, given the limited print run.

Also, as I've only played 2 Tales games in the past, I'm not entirely sure how the new battle moves are unlocked. Do you have to come upon them through random button combinations, or are they based entirely on level?

Just make sure you use all the base artes 50 times and you should be good. A lot of skills are gained from lvling and cutscenes.

Emitan

Checked out my Best Buy on the way home from school to see if they had any copies. They never even received any.

Nekobo

So I own the PS2 and 3DS versions of this game, but I can't play either one because my PS2 is dead and I don't have a 3DS. Sometimes being a gamer makes no sense...

This is my first Tales game but I'm really liking it so far. I snapped it up because I've been feeling the need for a good JRPG and I knew it would be a limited print run.

I don't know if I should pick up Vesperia or Graces f next. I might get Vesperia because I think I can get it from the 360 download service for $30.

Newegg has Vesperia for $16, plus free shipping through President's Day. Found on CAG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=1312731&SID=

Xena

I have 15 hours so far and I'm loving this Tales. The story is engaging and funny (though I'm tired of Luke telling people to "shut up!").

I usually leave extra stuff for a second play through but for some reason today when I faced
Sword Dancer
and got owned, I decided to try until I beat it, took 3 times... lol. The only thing I miss on this game is a Monster's reference book, but at least I was able to get an items sorta book.

I didn't have the opportunity to play the PS2 version, but I keep hearing about a second play through of this game in order to get 100%. When people mention that, what exactly do they mean with 100%? All items, titles and such? Is there a way to track this percentage? When you finish the game and start another one, will it carry all the current info on that items book from the last play through?

Seda

I have 15 hours so far and I'm loving this Tales. The story is engaging and funny (though I'm tired of Luke telling people to "shut up!").

I usually leave extra stuff for a second play through but for some reason today when I faced
Sword Dancer
and got owned, I decided to try until I beat it, took 3 times... lol. The only thing I miss on this game is a Monster's reference book, but at least I was able to get an items sorta book.

I didn't have the opportunity to play the PS2 version, but I keep hearing about a second play through of this game in order to get 100%. When people mention that, what exactly do they mean with 100%? All items, titles and such? Is there a way to track this percentage? When you finish the game and start another one, will it carry all the current info on that items book from the last play through?

I think I recall several mystic artes being 2nd playthrough only.

To be precise, they require a "clear save".

I don't remember what all there is.

Also the Monster Collector title.

Xena

I think I recall several mystic artes being 2nd playthrough only.

To be precise, they require a "clear save".

I don't remember what all there is.

Also the Monster Collector title.

Oh, I see. For this particular Monster collector title, does it mean I just have to have faced them or do I have to use magic lens on every single one of them?

Oh, I see. For this particular Monster collector title, does it mean I just have to have faced them or do I have to use magic lens on every single one of them?

The latter, I believe.

Edit: On second thought, I think you only have to defeat a select few monsters for that title. Got confused with Symphonia there for a second.

Thanks to everyone who advised me. You guys convinced me, and I just picked up my copy... this will be my third Tales game. Hope I like it as much as Symphonia and actually finish it! When I have the time, I still want to go back and finish Vesperia... but it's been so long, I feel like I should just start over at this point so I can fully enjoy the story (I hardly remember what was going on anymore).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You have to defeat three monsters and get the special item they drop. You need a clear save or second playthrough for the third and final monster you have to defeat, though.

I keep forgetting this game uses the Magic Lens. I keep trying to switch targets with R and then hit confirm, and then I realize that this isn't later Tales games where you don't use Magic Lens anymore.

And then I make the same mistake in subsequent battles, lol.

Ultratech

You have to defeat three monsters and get the special item they drop. You need a clear save or second playthrough for the third and final monster you have to defeat, though.

I keep forgetting this game uses the Magic Lens. I keep trying to switch targets with R and then hit confirm, and then I realize that this isn't later Tales games where you don't use Magic Lens anymore.

And then I make the same mistake in subsequent battles, lol.

That reminds me, Abyss doesn't have a bestiary does it?
That really kinda annoyed me seeing as I was pretty obsessive about it in other Tales games.

Alright, first impressions:

The font doesn't bother me at all, and I probably wouldn't have considered it if it weren't discussed here. The game also looks great, far better than I was expecting (having not played it on PS2). The image quality of Resident Evil Revelations left a bad taste in my mouth, so that this game looks especially crisp is a nice surprise.

Luigiv

Alright, first impressions:

The font doesn't bother me at all, and I probably wouldn't have considered it if it weren't discussed here. The game also looks great, far better than I was expecting (having not played it on PS2). The image quality of Resident Evil Revelations left a bad taste in my mouth, so that this game looks especially crisp is a nice surprise.

What? Don't you have that backwards? TotA is blurry as fuck, RER is the sharp one.

I played the PS2 version to death so I don't know if I should double dip on this. Being a limited run is tempting me though.

The 3DS lack of games might make it worth it, although the game will end up more like a collector's item than anything.

I played the PS2 version to death so I don't know if I should double dip on this. Being a limited run is tempting me though.

The 3DS lack of games might make it worth it, although the game will end up more like a collector's item than anything.

Yeah, I don't plan on playing this anytime soon since this doesn't have any new content and I played the PS2 version to death, but I'm still going to get it next week to support the series and RPGs on the 3DS.

PKrockin

What? Don't you have that backwards? TotA is blurry as fuck, RER is the sharp one.

Maybe he's talking about aliasing. For some reason I found the jaggies in RE:R really bad in 3D, almost to the point where it was disorienting.

Edit: lolnevermind he doesn't play in 3D, I have no idea what he's talking about either then.

PKrockin

Not that this is a huge selling point, but how are the 3D effects in the game?

Not good. The text floats too far above the screen and the menus and anime cutscenes aren't in 3D. The game itself doesn't mesh too well with the idea of 3D like Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land, or Revelations do either.

Toki767

Not good. The text floats too far above the screen and the menus and cutscenes aren't in 3D. The game itself doesn't mesh too well with the idea of 3D like Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land, or Revelations do either.

Ah, well I wasn't expecting it to be good in 3D anyways. I was just kind of hoping it'd be a case where I don't mind playing it with the 3D on like Ocarina of Time.

Top Bottom