• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Public Announcement: Tales of the Abyss 3DS is out today

gaming_noob

Thanks OP. I didn't know it was a limited run, so I picked up one during lunch.

A lot of places were sold out or just didn't receive enough copies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I think I just won a spot in heaven... =O!

Still waiting for Amazon... they shipped it. Should be here by Friday if their Prime promises are true.

The font doesn't bother me so much. The game's graphics are filled with jaggies due to the 3DS resolution, so the font also being jaggy actually has some overall consistency, funnily enough....

Unfortunately, what actually bothers me is that a lot of the 2D graphics took a big hit in quality due to the downscaling they received.

If you look at the EXP, GALD, etc. text in the pic below, you can see the downscaling effect. BlazBlue CS2 3DS had the same problem. I guess this is typical for console ports with 2D graphics not specifically made for 3DS resolution. :/

The 3D character models in this game still look good from what I can tell.

IMG_20120215_160934.jpg

I actually don't remember what the original looks like, but the main menu does look kinda awkward with the new font.

IMG_20120215_161106.jpg

On one hand, I would love to have a fully 3D RPG for the 3DS.

On the other hand, I just started Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and have five other PS2 RPG's to finish up. And I really should not be spending $40. This one may have to pass me by.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It doesn't have the horrible features of the DS font like the unreadable Ms and Ws, so I personally don't care.
And thank goodness for them rounding those out. I still don't care for the font at all, though.

I'm most likely not going to play this version any time soon because of the font used. It's really awful.
I got the game, though, so someday I'll be looking at my games and think "oh, I haven't played that, let's start it u--oh god" and play it anyway.
I really can't believe they're using it. But then again, it's Namco and I shouldn't be surprised. I miss the old Abyss font in retrospect.

I don't think you'll be too happy with the voiced audio, btw. It's very... weird. Everything sounds like it was compressed to high hell (bearing in mind that I mostly play portables with headphones, and that I played the PS2 version, so this is irritating me a lot).

Picked up a copy today and surprise surprise it was Gamestop's last one. Gutted with their god damn stickers on the box.

I don't think I've ever bought a sealed game from that fucking store. No matter what location.

PKrockin

I played through Vesperia and loved it. The only jrpg I liked of the few I tried this generation. Is abyss for me? Pitty about the low fidelity voice

Yes, if you liked Symphonia or Vesperia you will probably like this too.

Odd, I haven't heard anyone else complain about the voices being badly compressed. Guess I'll find out for myself tomorrow, my copy just arrived (Amazon redeemed!)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I played through Vesperia and loved it. The only jrpg I liked of the few I tried this generation. Is abyss for me? Pitty about the low fidelity voice
Was the the narrative or battle system of Vesperia that you like? I don't like the character interactions much, but I liked Abyss's overall theme. The narrative truly does seem like a 'your-mileage-may-vary' sort of thing.

The finer points of Abyss's battle system are:
-Introduction of Free Run to the series (hence FR-LMBS - Flex Range Linear Motion Battle System)

-Field of Fonons (FoF) -- spells or elemental artes sometimes generate a 'field' of that certain element in the place where the technique was used, and if more artes/skills of that element are used in that place, a stronger field can be developed in order for it to affect certain character artes. If any of the characters cross into that field and use an arte that can be modified by the FOF circle, they'll be able to change the element of their attack.

For example... since I normally manually control Guy (I like speedier characters, and he can steal with Void Tempest), I'll use one of his techniques for example. If he steps into a FoF of the water element and uses the skill Crescent Strike, he'll use Frigid Moon instead, since he stepped into the activated FoF circle to use it.

-AD Skills (generally skills that are equipped to make battles easier for the player; they are learned when characters have large enough bonuses for a certain stat).

-Capacity Cores - items that you can equip in order to give the characters stat bonuses whenever they level up; if you get enough bonuses for one stat, you'll be able to learn more AD skills in Abyss.

-Overlimit - as in other Tales games, when the OL gauge fills up, the character can go into Overlimit mode and they can use their Hi-Ou... Mystic Artes.

Vesperia's battle system isn't the same, but it evolved and improved upon Abyss's system a little (hence, EFR-LMBS -- Evolved Flex Range-LMBS)
-Overlimit is a mainstay, but you may now use Burst Artes after using arcane artes
-Free Run is slower in Vesperia, imo.
-It adds Fatal Strikes
-Skills are learned from equipment with LP and Altered Artes

In some ways, Abyss might feel like a step back, but you might find it fun to tinker around with.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just got my copy. The loadtimes are MASSIVELY improved compared to the PS2 original. Hell, the PS2 game even had loadtimes for the character menu!

gkryhewy

Picked up mine today at Gamestop, no pre-order needed. They had two copies left. Hm, should I head back and nab them both?

Amazon has let you add 999 copies to your cart since this was first posted, and it's been in the top 15-25 sellers since then. I don't think it was *that* small a print run.

EDIT: oh crap, just like that, only ten copies left. Bought one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Odd, I haven't heard anyone else complain about the voices being badly compressed. Guess I'll find out for myself tomorrow, my copy just arrived (Amazon redeemed!)
To be honest, after playing it more, it isn't that awful, and if you're not really an audiophile you won't notice it.

I'm playing this with headphones, though, so it's noticeable to me.

The 3DS speakers work great with this game.
I'd love to use the speakers if I weren't playing the game in a busy cafe/before class starts/commute or before I fall asleep. :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Amazon Prime, duder. I live near a shipping center (I think?) so items ordered 2-day come overnight instead--my order is arriving tomorrow!
I do have Prime haha.

Also... Thanks for heads up. Its out of stock. In 48 hours. Told ya guys :p

Eusis

To be honest, after playing it more, it isn't that awful, and if you're not really an audiophile you won't notice it.

I'm playing this with headphones, though, so it's noticeable to me.
Like I said it's definitely there (namely when using headphones or just anything better than the built in speakers), but this isn't like Baten Kaitos or even FFXII. Voice audio sounds SLIGHTLY weak but not wrecked or anything. Even if you notice I could see it being the kind of thing you STOP noticing before very long.

Goody

Well, I did my part. Picked up the last of two copies my GameStop had. Another GameStop right down the street was totally sold out.

A couple of hours in and I'm enjoying it a lot. It looks a little wonky, but nothing too bad. The font is what I take most issue with. I really enjoyed Symphonia and Vesperia, only the former of which I actually played to completion, so I'm looking forward to continuing.

LiK

I know it's a reseller. But I'm asking where they are seeing "out of stock until February 18."

I'm just curious, I already have a copy.

to the right where you can choose Amazon as an option. Amazon does that whenever they run out. they pimp their crap resellers for the main product page.

I went and picked up a copy from Gamestop on my way home from class. I was planning on waiting on it, but all this talk about a limited release got me worried. I didn't ask how many copies they had left, but it didn't seem like there was too much of a short supply, I got it at the first store I went to. I haven't started the game yet, but I'm excited to finally have a RPG to play on the 3ds.

Thoraxes

Amazon is out of stock, only third party sellers are selling on their site.

Wow, that didn't take long at all. Glad I know the rules for things like these >.>

Also I'm super glad I can get Graces F now because I got a recording gig for $30 an hour next week and those things are like 5 hours each plus time for editing and burning the discs.

Just checked Gamestop's website, and the Gamestop closest to me (which is still a half hour away) has Abyss in stock. So I guess I'm just gonna go there tomorrow and buy a copy

stupei

Thanks for the thread, OP. Had to run an errand for work which involved walking past the Nintendo World store. It was overcast and crappy out today but I made up for the annoyance of the trip by picking up a copy of Tales of the Abyss -- one of three remaining -- and Rhythm Heaven Fever.

If it weren't for this thread, I probably wouldn't have realized it was so scarce. So thanks for that.

MDR1750

Neo Member
picking this up and never played before.

one thing that annoys me about tales games are the side quests since it can be very easy to miss stuff and then you can only try again on your next play through.

when I played tales of vesperia I used this sidequest guide:
http://forum.draekon.com/showthread.php?t=21

I found it to be a great guide to do all the sidequests on my first play through without spoiling the plot as I went along.

anyone know of any similar sidequest guides exist for abyss?

Picked up the only copy at a gamestop near me this morning, but the employees swiped the clubnintendo code out of it (it was a ''display'' copy or whatever)
Anyway, I'm loving it so far. I'm 4 hours in and everything is great. I like the characters much more than Vesperia's, which made me want to rip my eyeballs out. Also, the 3D is great, why the complaints?
I want lots of RPG's on the 3DS. This is a good start :D

alazz

The voices sound fine through the 3DS speakers to me. But what would I know? Several "fire!"s later and I slid the sound off. And Luke is annoying; without spoilers does he ever develop out of an ignorant little shit? I like the other characters so far.

The combat is pretty fun but I remember what I played of Symphonia being more fun. I think Symphonia moved along much more quickly, and you had access to a full party earlier so maybe that's just why.

Top Bottom