• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Public Announcement: Tales of the Abyss 3DS is out today

PKrockin

This is my personal opinion only: the battle system is awesome, the music is so-so (except for one battle music that is very, very catchy), the story and its pacing are aggravating, and the cast is worse than Vesperia.

Same here, except I like the story. Well, and the music is above average.

I would go for it. You will probably like it if you liked Vesperia and if somehow you find the cast unbearable or something you can send it back to Gamefly without buying. If you don't buy it I don't know how hard this will be to find when you clear out your backlog and take a second look.

Thanks for the reminder. After playing Resident Evil and with all the Vita hype, I completely forgot about this, despite planning on purchasing it a while ago.

Still had some Amazon credit and rewards from a credit card, so no out of pocket expense, plus I signed up for like my fifth trial of Amazon Prime so free two day shipping!

IrishNinja

This is my personal opinion only: the battle system is awesome, the music is so-so (except for one battle music that is very, very catchy), the story and its pacing are aggravating, and the cast is worse than Vesperia.

Same here, except I like the story. Well, and the music is above average.

I would go for it. You will probably like it if you liked Vesperia and if somehow you find the cast unbearable or something you can send it back to Gamefly without buying. If you don't buy it I don't know how hard this will be to find when you clear out your backlog and take a second look.

thanks for the feedback guys - i think ill take just that advice, rent it and keep it if im digging it. here's hoping theyve got copies left in a few weeks! (gotta finish RE first)

zigg

So I have no chance of getting this later this year?

I kind of wanted to get it, but I also definitely have no time to play it at this moment. Getting it right now strikes me as "not being a smart consumer." Hum.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Bought one despite resolving to not buy games until I get a steady paycheck. I sold the PS2 copy I never played to get it later. Later will be now I guess. :\

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
seriously all - rule of thumb.

If it's a JPRG on a western machine , get it preordered RIGHT AWAY because that price tag is going UP

Ricker

One of the local Gamestop around here,even though they have like a full rack of placeholder's 3DS boxes of the game had no clue about it and it had no release date in their system,so yeah,if you didn't pre-order this game in the Montreal area,good luck finding a copy.

RetroMG

On vacation in Disney World, so I was going to wait until I'd gotten home and built up a little more income before I pulled the trigger. But hearing that it's a limited run, I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon and had it shipped to my parent's house. I'll go over and pick it up when I get back.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I had this preordered from Amazon and didn't even know it came out. I thought it was supposed to be in early March or something.

Dinosur

Played for just under 4 hours last night. I'm really loving it so far (apparently never played the PS2 version). Contrary to most reviewers, I think it looks better in 3D. You just have to get used to not focusing on the background during dialog segments.

I will admit is kind of confusing, even after playing plenty of other games in the series. I don't expect hand-holding tutorials, but even when you unlock mainstay perks like Free Run the game barely even alerts you. I still don't understand C Cores that much but oh well.

re:gamestop - I didn't preorder from amazon because they never added release date shipping so I swung over to gamestop after work. They only had one copy.

Well, I just ordered it over Radiant Historia--the fact of it being a 3DS game convinced me. Let's hope I don't regret my decision!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
seriously all - rule of thumb.

If it's a JPRG on a western machine , get it preordered RIGHT AWAY because that price tag is going UP

This actually hasn't been entirely true since the end of the GBA era. As long as the game is semi well known it will usually stay in print.

There have only been a handful of JRPGs this gen that have had noticable supply problems and that are any good at all.

mjc

Yeah if you guys are on the fence about this one, I'd get a copy ASAP. I had the only reserve at my Gamestop and it was the only copy they got in.

Rootbeer

Banned
Called my local Gamestop. They have it in stock... shocker? Well, the street date is today, so probably not that surprising. :) Thinking of going out, grabbing it and a burrito at Chipotle next door ^__^ Not totally sold on it... but there's a real RPG shortage on the 3DS right now... probably should pick it up for that reason alone.

Played for about an hour. Really enjoy the graphics and the character design, especially Tear. The 3D is atrocious though when you put it on full blast, the image splits. You need to play it at a certain angle so Im keeping it off. The ingame cutscenes are super clunky though, and the music seems a little none existent. I do love the opening theme, wished they had kept the Japanese lyrics though.

edit: in regards to the story I have no idea wtf is going on. Characters are throwing terms around with no explanations. :(

Played for about an hour. Really enjoy the graphics and the character design, especially Tear. The 3D is atrocious though when you put it on full blast, the image splits. You need to play it at a certain angle so Im keeping it off. The ingame cutscenes are super clunky though, and the music seems a little none existent. I do love the opening theme, wished they had kept the Japanese lyrics though.

edit: in regards to the story I have no idea wtf is going on. Characters are throwing terms around with no explanations. :(

Luckily Luke is equally clueless.

Something else I've noticed. Why the fuck is the bottom screen so bright? I feel like its just wasting. Battery for no reason :/

KarmaCow

Just bought this because it's supposed to be a limited run. I will blame GAF if I find this in a bargain bin for $10 a couple months from now.

Rootbeer

Banned
Positive impressions only, please! I need to stave off this growing feeling of buyer's remorse. ;)
Don't let bother you! I've spent a lot of time playing FFXIII and FFXIII-2 despite the fact none of my RL friends can stand it and they get middling (at best) reviews online. Gotta play what you're drawn to!

Honestly I am considering just passing on this Tales game though... not that it will matter, with its limited run it is sure to sell out. I already have Kid Icarus coming next month, not to mention my Vita in a few days... I might just wait until the PS3 tales game comes out.

But this doesn't look half bad... aside from the pretty vanilla characters and story. *shrug* Not that that has ever stopped me before.

Don't let bother you! I've spent a lot of time playing FFXIII and FFXIII-2 despite the fact none of my RL friends can stand it and they get middling (at best) reviews online. Gotta play what you're drawn to!

Honestly I am considering just passing on this Tales game though... not that it will matter, with its limited run it is sure to sell out. I already have Kid Icarus coming next month, not to mention my Vita in a few days... I might just wait until the PS3 tales game comes out.

But this doesn't look half bad... aside from the pretty vanilla characters and story. *shrug* Not that that has ever stopped me before.

Right, but the main reason I'm drawn to it is simply because it's a JRPG on the 3DS! I'm honestly not that worried, as I'll tend to play any RPG if it's on a handheld.

Is there any reason for thinking this is a "limited run" other than the OP?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Right, but the main reason I'm drawn to it is simply because it's a JRPG on the 3DS! I'm honestly not that worried, as I'll tend to play any RPG if it's on a handheld.

Is there any reason for thinking this is a "limited run" other than the OP?

If the comments in this thread are anything to go by, Gamestop and the like are hardly getting any copies. Just enough to fill preorders and that's it in some cases.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why does this game use that horrible DS font? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Also, playing this on a portable is an interesting change.

Midou

Abyss is still my favorite Tales game because I found the story and events to be pretty unique, I liked the concept as a whole too.

GameE

-_-
I was thinking about getting this...... but Ive got a lot of games lately and so I have a ton to play :\
I dont know if I should wait a little while or what
I dont want to spend so much money on games but I dont want this to be another Radiant Historia where when I finally decide to get it the stock is all gone
Limited stock has me worried.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
-_-
I was thinking about getting this...... but Ive got a lot of games lately and so I have a ton to play :\
I dont know if I should wait a little while or what
I dont want to spend so much money on games but I dont want this to be another Radiant Historia where when I finally decide to get it the stock is all gone
Limited stock has me worried.

Get it. If you have the 40 why not. Also its very possible it will be worth the same in a few years, or even more.

Playing through the beginning right now. I had forgotten how badly paced the start of the game is with just AAAB attacks. But I'm enduring because I know it'll get better eventually.

But I love how I'm constantly reminded that Jade is a troll.

IMG_20120215_145613.jpg

Link Man

Banned
Playing through the beginning right now. I had forgotten how badly paced the start of the game is with just AAAB attacks. But I'm enduring because I know it'll get better eventually.

But I love how I'm constantly reminded that Jade is a troll.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x88/mrbubblewand/IMG_20120215_145613.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I want a Pac-Man belt.

Aeana

I'm most likely not going to play this version any time soon because of the font used. It's really awful.
I got the game, though, so someday I'll be looking at my games and think "oh, I haven't played that, let's start it u--oh god" and play it anyway.

Glix

Just picked this up. Pumped up, never played a Tales game before.

Were you guys aware that Gamestop buys used games? There was some sort of sticker to that effect that was the size of the entire case. :p

Had a gift-card with Sears so what the hell, placed the order. Kind of a blind, impulse-buy though. I don't know much about this particular title, but I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia and generally like JRPGs.

(Crossing fingers that it'll be a good RPG)

Game's great, but the aliasing for some reason is especially painful in this game. The best way I can describe it is, the aliasing on the left eye doesn't always match the right, so there's sometimes a lot of eye-hurting elements.

Odd, because other games with aliasing like OoT 3D didn't have this problem for me.

But whatever. It's Tales of the Abyss portable! :p Coming from Tales of Destiny, it's especially cool.

It doesn't have the horrible features of the DS font like the unreadable Ms and Ws, so I personally don't care.

Just picked this up. Pumped up, never played a Tales game before.

Were you guys aware that Gamestop buys used games? There was some sort of sticker to that effect that was the size of the entire case. :p

I chuckled.

And looking at the picture just posted, I don't see what's so terrible about the font. Of course, I haven't seen it in person yet.

Top Bottom