• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Public Announcement: Tales of the Abyss 3DS is out today

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Copy already shipped from Amazon. Looking forward to it, as I still have the PS2 original shrink-wrapped on my shelf. Just never got around to it.

PKrockin

I picked my copy up tonight, but I have to prepare for a presentation tomorrow.

Remember that if you want to do a 100% complete first playthrough, just look at a Sidequest FAQ or something, because the sidequests are never explicitly mentioned.

I thought you couldn't 100% the game on the first run?

How is this any different than the PS2 version? Other than being portable obviously. I hear the 3D is bad in the game.

The horrendous PS2 load times are fixed, overworld runs better, no multiplayer, 30FPS in battle instead of PS2's 60, and the game has been rebalanced on harder difficulties. Dunno about the 3D. The main draw for this port is the load times.

Misterhbk

Picked up my copy today and will also be picking up Graces F when it launches next month. Support the Tales of series guys cause I want Xillia!

Riposte

Will I make a profit if I buy like ten copies and sell them a few months from now? Kicking myself for not doing this for Radiant Historia.

Picked up my pre-order at Gamestop today and am about 1 hour into it and am enjoying it so far. I saw they had 4 other copies sitting out, so it's somewhat popular, and the girl that rang me up said they had other pre-orders as well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I thought you couldn't 100% the game on the first run?
Skill-wise, I mean. I remember my first playthrough when I missed Natalia's sidequests to get two of her skills. I never really liked using her, but it felt bad when I didn't get them. :/

The extra dungeon must be done on a second playthrough, of course.

What's with the awkward silences during the skits?

Did the original not have skit voice acting or at least background music? The background music pauses during skits for some reason. I wish you could at least button press through the text. -____-

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yep, it looks, sounds, and plays like Tales of the Abyss; only portable!!
I can't really compare performance differences since I only played the PS2 game off a hard drive. But so far so awesome!

The graphics look good (though it could be more colorful, a complaint I had about the original), the music sounds great, the combat's awesome, and the controls feel pretty good too. The 3D isn't insane, but it's used to nice effect. It's as if you're looking into a window and seeing the game played out in that fashion, with text announcements, subtitles, dialog, etc. floating on top of the glass of the window, so to speak. Nicely done.

I do question their choice to use that stupid blue thing that Luke loves to abuse as the home screen visual and audio representative to the game, however. What's that little shit called, Mieu? I forget...

Nairume

Banned

Did the original not have skit voice acting or at least background music? The background music pauses during skits for some reason. I wish you could at least button press through the text. -____-

Namco is lazy.

Sophia

The original Japanese had voice acting for the skits. Namco decided to simply not voice them for the English release.

Same thing with the opening song, which originally had vocals.

The original Japanese had voice acting for the skits. Namco decided to simply not voice them for the English release.

Same thing with the opening song, which originally had vocals.

I figured that was the case. The opening seemed barren, and I believe that when I played Vesperia and Xillia there were vocals (Vesperia had an English version). I wish they at least kept the Japanese vocal track.

The lack of voice in the skits really detracts from their quality. I will probably stop watching them.

Edit: Really like the Japanese OP, thanks for sharing. :)

Skill-wise, I mean. I remember my first playthrough when I missed Natalia's sidequests to get two of her skills. I never really liked using her, but it felt bad when I didn't get them. :/

The extra dungeon must be done on a second playthrough, of course.
I remember that I loaded up my game with a save prior to endgame (I had a game clear on a different slot) and I was able to access that extra dungeon with my endgame characters within about ten minutes of finishing my first playthrough.

Sophia

I figured that was the case. The opening seemed barren, and I believe that when I played Vesperia and Xillia there were vocals (Vesperia had an English version). I wish they at least kept the Japanese vocal track.

The lack of voice in the skits really detracts from their quality. I will probably stop watching them.

Vesperia had the advantage of it's vocalist being bilingual. Graces also has a bilingual vocalist (and an English version was made long before it was officially announced for the US.)

Microsoft may have had some hand in Vesperia too. It's localization is unusually good for Namco.

You're welcome. Karma is probably one of my favorite Tales opening songs. Damn shame it keeps getting replaced with an instrumental. At least it stayed in the game as an instrumental, Symphonia didn't get so lucky...

radcliff

My local Gamestop only got 4 copies, 2 of which were pre-ordered. I got 1 of the other 2. Enjoying it so far, although I never played the PS2 version to compare it to.

LiK

US ver of ToV has the JPN track in the intro when it starts again after idling in the main menu.

Vesperia had the advantage of it's vocalist being bilingual. Graces also has a bilingual vocalist (and an English version was made long before it was officially announced for the US.)

Microsoft may have had some hand in Vesperia too. It's localization is unusually good for Namco.

You're welcome. Karma is probably one of my favorite Tales opening songs. Damn shame it keeps getting replaced with an instrumental. At least it stayed in the game as an instrumental, Symphonia didn't get so lucky...

That would make a lot of sense, Vesperia seemed to be really high quality. I own Legendia, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. That'll be down the line I'd imagine.

Some of the skits have music still playing, though some don't.
It's weird.

I got the last copy today at my Gamestop, glad to see what little copies there are of TotA3D are flying off the shelves. Hopefully Graces F (which I also have preordered) will also sell out and show Namco Bandai that US (and PAL) love Tales and want more games in the series.

Had planned on waiting until I finished RE Revelations, but just ended up ordering from Amazon Prime. Oh well, at least now I know I'll have it.

M-PG71C

I went on and ordered it, I don't want it to disappear and I have to pay $80 for a damn copy.

Thanks for the warning man, I forgot about it lol :p

Synless

Bought it only because I want Xillia. This isn't my favorite Tales game by any means. Is it just me or is the 3D not that great in this game?

Bought it only because I want Xillia. This isn't my favorite Tales game by any means. Is it just me or is the 3D not that great in this game?

Nope. But it's not really annoying either besides the whole "TEXT BUBBLES IN YOUR FACE".

Besides nintendo games, most 3rd party games tend to not really do 3D well o_O.

hamchan

I can't fucking find this game anywhere in PAL land and it's pissing me off. What the fuck Namco.

Fuck you Nintendo too for region locking the 3DS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Well it's a quick conversion port with 3d slapped on. So honestly you might just be better of playing in 2d.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As an extension to the public announcement, don't buy it.

It is just ever so slightly good enough to keep you playing, but never gets interesting and the story never goes anywhere and the characters never redeem themselves. The battle system is decent, but gets repetitive and old fast with nothing to drive the game along.

Not a fan.

I think it's worth of the money that I spend because it is pretty good game. IMO but I think you are being harsh to tell people to not buy the game because you don't like the game. It's depend on players' opinion, not just your.

I was going to get this as part of my 3DS-a-ganza (TotA, RE:R, MGS3) with my taxes. They're expected on the 22nd; will this be GONE FOREVER (aka bought by jackass resellers) by then? Or should I dip out of the rent money?

IrishNinja

Both will be hard to find. Just get both for a rainy day

ugh, this shit kills me. i kept thinking this gen had less rarity (thankfully - fuck you collectors!), but apparently it's all carts.
grabbed Radiata for a rainy day, but i dont know if id even want to play this...Vesperia's the only Tales game i played, but i loved that, pacing issues aside. here's to hoping gamefly still has it in stock after binary domain drops.

I was going to get this as part of my 3DS-a-ganza (TotA, RE:R, MGS3) with my taxes. They're expected on the 22nd; will this be GONE FOREVER (aka bought by jackass resellers) by then? Or should I dip out of the rent money?

Grab this. RE and MGS will have infinite times more stock than this, so you probably can pick those up later.

Ordered it just in case it isn't around later. If it sucks, I wont have any issues getting rid of it for a profit most likely, so why not go for it.

FSLink

Banned

It was a budget thing. They didn't voice skits in the US games, excluding Legendia since that game had very little of them (and due to a communication error, the 2nd half of the game didn't get voiced). They stepped it up for the games localized after Abyss though. (Radiant Mythology, Vesperia, DotNW)

Been playing the game for a while now and I've come to the conclusion that the 3D is absolutely useless -_-

I like 3d on its own merits and I was prepared for "bad 3d" coming in.

This wasn't the case. The 3d looks fine.

I'm just as confused as to what the expectation of useful 3d would be in a game like this ;)

I've bought every Tales of game at launch and am even buying Graces F with no PS3.

Why doesn't Namco localize more of these? Sales aren't too abysmal for the type of games they are.

...and I want Symphonia 3D or HD remake/port. Who's dick do I have to suck to make this happen?

Link Man

Banned
Played a little bit. Some thoughts:

-Oh god, the aliasing!

-You can torment Mieu in the 3DS Menu! Yay!

-Game plays pretty well, though everything seems a bit small due to the resolution.

-Luke is quite insufferable, but I'm still in the forest area at the beginning.

-Snappy menus, though saving takes a while.

DR2K

Banned
So Namco this is where you push the series. No other 3DS rpgs in sight, there's no reason this can't have Symphonia like success.

Top Bottom