• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quarantine Mafia |OT| The Contagion is spreading.

Verelios

So this is some type of dictatorship-mafia that we ran as a live game not long ago?

A lot of questions going to the beginning of the game.

Is the Araxometer some sort of game mechanic that will play later to the game?
Will the Araxoids be able to infect town players, which would partly make this a cult-game type of game?
What kind of powers will the director be given?
1. Aroxometer is likely a scum counter, but we'll only be sure when day 2 rolls around.
2. I'd guess they can infect town...but then that leaves us with the question of if they can infect PR's or just vanilla town and the mechanics of that.
3. 3 votes no? Major say in who gets lynched

Ourobolus

Banned
Also, so...uh...we don't actually lynch anyone today?

We just nominate someone to get special voting power that gets killed N1?

Burbeting

Banned
This sounds like a pretty feasible explanation for why there wouldn't be a D1 lynch. It would also point to the direction that we are in a cult game.

If this is a cult game, it's possible that the only scum alive is the scum recruiter (maybe level 2 Araxoid), and the other cultists will be Level 1 Araxoids. So the Level 1 Araxoids couldn't recruit anyone, only kill.

This does leave some problems though. What would stop the recruiter from recruiting the newly chosen director during the night phase?

There is also something else that bothers me.

CCS

Banned
This is intriguing. In order to preserve my tradition of town reading him whilst actually voting for him for once:

VOTE: acohrs

A man who can look after such adorable dogs is a man who can look after us.

Kalor

Well there goes my plans to vote for LP

btw, just some instant thoughts, but currently the Araxia meter is reading 1 meaning maybe there is only 1 Scum right now? And since this whole thing is based around infections/viruses I'd take a guess and say it spreads, meaning recruiting Scum members.

Would also explain why we can't lynch today. If Scum only have 1 member then we could feasibly end the game today and that would be no fun. So I'm guessing no lynch choice is so they can set up a team.

also, how is everyone today?

The Araxia meter corresponding to scum makes sense. It alway explains why a reading of 10 means that the quarantine failed as that would be majority.

Burbeting

Banned
If all of the Araxoids were able to recruit, the game would be basically impossible for town to win :p.

Also that quote borked, meh.

Swamped

Banned
Well there goes my plans to vote for LP

btw, just some instant thoughts, but currently the Araxia meter is reading 1 meaning maybe there is only 1 Scum right now? And since this whole thing is based around infections/viruses I'd take a guess and say it spreads, meaning recruiting Scum members.

Would also explain why we can't lynch today. If Scum only have 1 member then we could feasibly end the game today and that would be no fun. So I'm guessing no lynch choice is so they can set up a team.

also, how is everyone today?

Yeah maybe. But the meter goes up to 10. Surely that can't mean there can be a max of ten scum? Because the game would be over long before then.

Although I am assuming that only one person gets converted per night...

So it would seem. It also means that our D1 votes are far more important than usual. Mislynches happen, it's a part of the game. If we managed to grant scum this power it would be very, very bad.

That's why you should all vote for me to be your leader. I know I'm town.

Fat4all

Banned
Were apparently voting for somebody to get a power. The power is that they will have 3 votes instead of 1 for the rest of the game.

Yeah, it's a pretty decent power advantage for a town player to have.

It also seems like it would make them a target for the Infected, though.

The voting tool is currently not operational. So I will handle votes manually until further notice.

I will let you know when it's up and running.

CCS

Banned
Dusk, can you tell us if the Director can be converted? Seems like we're screwed regardless of who we vote for if they can be.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ok, let me see if I can make sense of this:

- Araxia level is currently 1. It says that at level 2 it gains the ability to infect people and gain human cognition. This leads me to believe that no one right now is scum, or at most there is one scum, and it will hit Level 2 tomorrow.
- We are voting for a director who will gain Triple Voter status, which is great, but during N1, if there is a scum already present, they may become infected. Obviously I hope we have a doctor of sorts.
- This game is going to try my patience.

Sawneeks

Banned
I'm doing quite well! How about yourself Saw?

I think that's a good point - given that we were given a range of which it can reach. It also talks about there being different phases to the disease which seems like it could possibly be relevant.

Pretty good! Being on lock down kinda sucks ( it's probably cabot's fault ), I was planning to play board games tonight. ;__;

Seeing as the Level 1 points to them being violent I'd guess they can only kill as opposed to when they reach Level 2 ( after a certain amount of time ) they probably gain abilities. We would probably need to kill Scum quickly since it sounds like they get stronger as the game goes on.

Okay, okay, I know what everyone is thinking. Who is this strapping lad standing on an ivory soapbox saying he should be Ki...Director? I sympathize, truly I do, and while some of you may know me, others may know me less (forget them, they don't matter) but this I can say for sure.

If you make me Director I can bring you freedom. I can bring you riches. I can bring you victory! (Addendum here:May not actually be victory) Together we can flush out these infected scum and rid the world of their scourge! Together we can get off this god forsaken island and back into civilization! This I promise you! (Not applicable to be upheld by law). We can survive!

Don't listen to this man.

I wanted to be Director. :c

This sounds like a pretty feasible explanation for why there wouldn't be a D1 lynch. It would also point to the direction that we are in a cult game.

If this is a cult game, it's possible that the only scum alive is the scum recruiter (maybe level 2 Araxoid), and the other cultists will be Level 1 Araxoids. So the Level 1 Araxoids couldn't recruit anyone, only kill.

This does leave some problems though. What would stop the recruiter from recruiting the newly chosen director during the night phase?

There is also something else that bothers me.

I also thought about that as well. Unless the Director is immune to the virus ( which seems incredibly strong and would still eave Scum at 1 member tomorrow ), I don't think we should inherently trust the Director simple because they got the role.

Also, what else is bothering you Bear? :c

This is intriguing. In order to preserve my tradition of town reading him whilst actually voting for him for once:

Adorable.

Burbeting

Banned

- Araxia level is currently 1. It says that at level 2 it gains the ability to infect people and gain human cognition. This leads me to believe that no one right now is scum, or at most there is one scum, and it will hit Level 2 tomorrow.
- We are voting for a director who will gain Triple Voter status, which is great, but during N1, if there is a scum already present, they may become infected. Obviously I hope we have a doctor of sorts.

I'm not sure. The wording of the post is vague, but I assume Araxia level and Axometer levels are not one and the same. So that Araxia level can be only 1 or 2, but Axometer can go from 0 to 10, with it being 1 right now.

CCS

Banned
This wouldn't make a very good film, it sounds very low budget.

Probably director-DVD.

That pun might actually be to bad to be comprehensible :p

Swamped

Banned
An Afaxometer reading of 5 means the virus can't be contained, and 10 means we have essentially lost the game (according to Dusk's opening post). But surely we have lost even at 5? That's what I don't understand.

Sawneeks

Banned
Yeah maybe. But the meter goes up to 10. Surely that can't mean there can be a max of ten scum? Because the game would be over long before then.

Although I am assuming that only one person gets converted per night...

10 would be half of the Player List and it would be actually impossible for Town to win at that point.

That's probably why the tier list goes:
Level 1 is OK
Level 5 is not OK
Level 10 is you're all dead

- I think the count is specifically referring to how many Scum there are. Because the count can go up to 10 and there was no Level 10 Araxia mentioned. The Level that an infected person can be probably changes over time but I think the count is just a reference to how fast we need to find Scum
- Correct.
- Only if you let it. <3

Burbeting

Banned
So a Stage 1 Araxoid is only feral and violent. Stage 2 Araxoid can infect other humans.

I think it's possible that the one scum alive right now is either Stage 2 araxoid, or will advance to Stage 2 when night phase starts. So then they can only recruit someone during N1. The recruited person will become a Stage 1 Araxoid. Starting from N2, the infected could infect and kill during a night, or maybe only one or the another.

Ourobolus

Banned
I will nominate myself as Director, because why not. I'm, like, amazing and stuff.

Also I'm going to operate on the assumption that there is at most one scum right now, and there will be two tomorrow, since we can't lynch on D1.

Burbeting

Banned
This seems very early for a Scum read.

It is. However, I was bothered by how fast you were in your first post detailing your guess on how the systems are going to work: The D1 opening post was little vague, and at least took me more than few minutes to start figuring out what exactly it could mean. It felt like you could be a single scum, who has had time to think about reasons why they are all alone.

It's not much, but have to start from somewhere.

acohrs

wonrg_0.jpg

Vote: Acohrs

Swamped

Banned
So a Stage 1 Araxoid is only feral and violent. Stage 2 Araxoid can infect other humans.

I think it's possible that the one scum alive right now is either Stage 2 araxoid, or will advance to Stage 2 when night phase starts. So then they can only recruit someone during N1. The recruited person will become a Stage 1 Araxoid. Starting from N2, the infected could infect and kill during a night, or maybe only one or the another.

But maybe there IS more than one scum, but only one of them can infect other people.

Also...the Asaxometer may not be a one-to-one mapping of scum. Maybe level 2 axaroid people have a weight of 2 or something.

Sawneeks

Banned
It is. However, I was bothered by how fast you were in your first post detailing your guess on how the systems are going to work: The D1 opening post was little vague, and at least took me more than few minutes to start figuring out what exactly it could mean. It felt like you could be a single scum, who has had time to think about reasons why they are all alone.

It's not much, but have to start from somewhere.

So you're scum reading me because you didn't read the opening post all the way through? :x

To each their own I suppose.

wonrg_0.jpg

Vote: Acohrs

Self-votes don't count. :p

Ourobolus

Banned
But maybe there IS more than one scum, but only one of them can infect other people.

Also...the Asaxometer may not be a one-to-one mapping of scum. Maybe level 2 axaroid people have a weight of 2 or something.

Until we get more info I'm going to assume it will go up one per day. I'll also assume that there are scum abilities that can raise it higher. But until we get more info, these are only assumptions.

Burbeting

Banned

No D1 lynch is disadvantageous for town. There has to be a some good reason for it, and there being only 1 scum right now seems likely explanation. But there might be 2 scum too.

CCS

Banned
I saw Disturbed last night, and they closed with Down with the Sickness. Don't really know why I'm mentioning this, but it seems relevant somehow :p

I'm not sure whether the starting post implies that the (assuming only one) scum is stage one or stage two currently. So I guess there's a question about whether they get an action more complex than just a kill first night.

Ourobolus

Banned
Also, I assume that scum cannot infect EVERY day, or else this will be a quick game. If after today we mislynch and then scum infects, that's a net loss of two town each day.

Alternatively, we have something that can protect against infection.

Fat4all

Banned
This seems like the sort of power that any scum would gladly want to have. but wouldn't go out of their way to try and get.

Swamped

Banned
Seems fitting, although I'm much more of a Catan person myself.

Also! Swamped! How are you? We haven't played in a game in a long time. c:

Doing quite well! Had a really great and long vacation, too bad I have to get back to work tomorrow XC

Burbeting

Banned
You can't

blllalllelelthth

Vote for your

blllelelelelllllalahaudufhdhhahshsh

Self

Sorry, I'll go clean up

Do you want to wear one of those protective gear-things Ouro is wearing?

So you're scum reading me because you didn't read the opening post all the way through? :x

To each their own I suppose.

But the D1 opening post is vaguely written. The difference between Araxodia level and Axometer level are not clearly worded, for example Ouro thought they were one and the same in this post:

Even after he seems to have read the whole post. So it isn't as much about not reading the opening post all the way through, as it was "trying to figure shit out takes more than 3-4 minutes in this game".

Kalor

Also, I assume that scum cannot infect EVERY day, or else this will be a quick game. If after today we mislynch and then scum infects, that's a net loss of two town each day.

A cure is mentioned a few times in the opening flavour so that could be what protects people.

CCS

Banned
My take is that Araxometer level means 1 scum. If you can have 2 scum and the meter level is at 1, the game would be over way before we ever get near 10.

Burbeting

Banned
But I digress. If there is only 1 scum right now in the game, getting that scum right is only 1/20 chance at this point. It's more viable to try to figure out today who is trustworthy enough for the Director role.

Sawneeks

Banned

I don't feel like mathing right now but Dusk did say ( I believe in the OT ) that this game can end in 4 weeks.

I will also assume they can't infect that often or, if they can, that we have some sort of counter to that. This game is a 9 on the Crab scale of crazy.

Doing quite well! Had a really great and long vacation, too bad I have to get back to work tomorrow XC

That's good to hear. c:

Except about the going back to work part, that's never fun. :c

Basically my point is that today is a complete crapshoot.

I mean it's Day 1 and we have to decide who to give a PR that gives them 3-votes.

Crapshoot is an understatement.

Ourobolus

Banned
I am confused as to how people are misinterpreting the day opening post. Araxia is the virus, Araxometer or whatever is detecting the level.

All I care about is the number, the rest is flavor.

Burbeting

Banned
The good side is if there is 1 scum, giving the director power to scum seems fairly unlikely.

The bad side is, we have no idea if the scum will instantly infect the Director, making our choice backfire at any case.

Top Bottom