• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R*'s PATHETIC port job: Bully 360 freezing (among other glitches) [PATCH NOW OUT]

darkressurection said:
:(
I may still pick it up if there is some sort of patch.
Also, what is you GT Benjamin? I've meant to add you since you made the Rock Band thread.

KidInsomnia, but my list is carrying around a lot of water weight right now so don't be offended if I can't approve you right away. It might sounds like typical Ben, but a bunch of my Real Life Friends have finally jumped in for GTA4 (I'M SERIOUS) so I'm cutting down a lot of trees to make room. But definitely drop a line.

Rhindle

OK, before I crack this thing open: what's the save system like?

This wouldn't be so bad if it has a save anywhere system, but I don't remember the PS2 version supporting that.

Costanza

Banned
Rhindle said:
OK, before I crack this thing open: what's the save system like?

This wouldn't be so bad if it has a save anywhere system, but I don't remember the PS2 version supporting that.
No save anywhere, you can only save between missions by going back to the dorm or school office.

BenjaminBirdie said:
KidInsomnia, but my list is carrying around a lot of water weight right now so don't be offended if I can't approve you right away. It might sounds like typical Ben, but a bunch of my Real Life Friends have finally jumped in for GTA4 (I'M SERIOUS) so I'm cutting down a lot of trees to make room. But definitely drop a line.
Alright, expect one from monkyofdoom. I am in for GTA on day one also.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I take back what I said about the framerate being decent as well. Once you get out into the town, it tanks low all over the place.

Ugh.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Rockstar Toronto > Vancouver.
Well WTF has Toronto done? Warriors but that was 3 years ago (2005) . . . and I've never been able to play my copy since it isn't BC on the 360. I gave my original xbox away.

What has R* Toronto been working on?!?!?!

Mojovonio

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

You better not cut me down!

Ploid 3.0

Mutagenic said:
Who cares if Rockstar had someone else do the port? Rockstar is responsible for the title, regardless. They're the ones to blame for letting the game get released in such a state. Damn.

Don't blame Rockstar, they had to kick this out before GTA4 could effect sales. No other choice.

speculawyer said:
Well WTF has Toronto done? Warriors but that was 3 years ago (2005) . . . and I've never been able to play my copy since it isn't BC on the 360. I gave my original xbox away.

What has R* Toronto been working on?!?!?!

The port of Bully that doesn't freeze, apparently.

Pein

Banned
I was planning to buy this tomorrow sucks that it got a bad port guess I'll put the money toward a new psp

Pein said:
I was planning to buy this tomorrow sucks that it got a bad port guess I'll put the money toward a new psp

or pick up the Wii version....which at this point, is indeed the definitive version

Costanza

Banned
more freezing stories:

Mine seems to freeze when the mist graphic occurs, like when you throw stink bombs and the green mist appears, it freezes. Froze just now on me like 4 times in a row. Thanks Rockstar you have joined the ranks of EA for this crap. Going back to EB tomorrow.

Froze three times on me so far over the course of four or five hours. Every time it's been when I'm getting chased or I'm mixed up in a fight with multiple opponents. Not cool. Only thing we can do right now to lessen the sting is save as often as possible.

I've also noticed one second audio pauses while running around or interacting with people and while they aren't game breaking, they're definitely getting annoying.

I'd like to see pressure put on Rockstar to address these fixes in a patch but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.
I think we can be sure the crashes are totally random by this point.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Don't blame Rockstar, they had to kick this out before GTA4 could effect sales. No other choice.
So R* shouldn't be held responsible for releasing a crappy/subpar port of an old last-gen R* game because of a new R* game?

WTF? :lol

There is no excuse, plain and simple. People shouldn't be defending this shit nor should they buy the game when/if a patch comes out. That just encourages developers to do a shit job shoving the game out before it's ready, depending on a patch later to save the day/sales. We know how well that's worked out on the PC side of gaming.

Costanza

Banned
I was bored and came up with an analogy for this situation...

Let's say you have a baby (Bully), but your job (GTA 4) is too demanding right now and to make sure your baby is getting taken care of (it didn't sell well on the PS2) you have to hire a sitter (Mad Doc), but you don't really check out her references (past projects).

You go to pick your baby up one day (few weeks ago whenever the game went gold) and you find out the baby got all fucked up because the sitter dropped it on the floor. There's no going back from that and you're stuck forever (releasing the game in this state) with this kid that has to wear a helmet for the rest of its life and has seizures (freezing in game) all the time. This is what happened with Bully for the 360.

Xirj

Costanza said:
I was bored and came up with an analogy for this situation...

Let's say you have a baby (Bully), but your job (GTA 4) is too demanding right now and to make sure your baby is getting taken care of (it didn't sell well on the PS2) you have to hire a sitter (Mad Doc), but you don't really check out her references (past projects).

You go to pick your baby up one day (few weeks ago whenever the game went gold) and you find out the baby got all fucked up because the sitter dropped it on the floor. There's no going back from that and you're stuck forever (releasing the game in this state) with this kid that has to wear a helmet for the rest of its life and has seizures (freezing in game) all the time. This is what happened with Bully for the 360.

Haha best analogy ever. G'damn I was looking forward to playing this game since everyone said it was funny and was actually anti-bullying.

lupinko

_leech_ said:
Sounds like Bully is Rockstar's Resident Evil 4. Port it quick, get the cash, use it to work on the important stuff.

But Capcom's ports of RE4 to PS2 and Wii were actually good though.

Ploid 3.0

gray_fox224 said:
Wow. STFU and GTFO. You're crazy.

I was joking about it not being their fault, but was dead serious about them having to kick it out before GT4 advertisement start rolling in hard.

Well, I'm 3.62% in and still no freezes. However . . . I will say this is a crappy port. Inconsistent framerates and audio drop outs are really detracting from a game that is enjoyable. :-/

Bildi

Rayne.S said:
Take 2 and Rockstar have final responsibility in delivring a quality product... the dev is not to blame.
If the project was farmed out to the developer by the publisher then I agree blame does rest ultimately with the publisher.

To me it's the same as if you're an employer and one of your employees fucks up. It would be pretty spineless to go to the client and say: "oh, it's not my fault, my employee fucked up". Ultimately, it's the employer's responsibility.

StevieP

Banned
SpokkX said:
wait.. so the Wii version has a better framerate than both the 360 and PS2 versions?

Apparently so. Doesn't look as "nice" as the 360 version, mind you, but it certainly looks quite a bit better than the original PS2 version.

Surfheart

Bildi said:
If the project was farmed out to the developer by the publisher then I agree blame does rest ultimately with the publisher.

To me it's the same as if you're an employer and one of your employees fucks up. It would be pretty spineless to go to the client and say: "oh, it's not my fault, my employee fucked up". Ultimately, it's the employer's responsibility.

Exactly right.

Surfheart

StevieP said:
Apparently so. Doesn't look as "nice" as the 360 version, mind you, but it certainly looks quite a bit better than the original PS2 version.

Wiimote controls sound like they could be fun too, especially with the minigames.

pilonv1

Sir Fragula said:
Really??

Please, PLEASE keep us updated. I was due to buy this one on Friday.

2hrs+ in and no issues. I have someone on my friends list who's played 3hrs+ with no issues.

Top Bottom