• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Race the Sun |OT| Unity in the Shade

Cheddahz

Banned
tumblr_inline_my0qi34fZj1r4jmdu.png

Title: Race The Sun
Genre: Action, Indie, Racing
Developer: Flippfly LLC
Publisher: Flippfly LLC
Release Date: Dec 9, 2013
Platform - PC (does have controller support)

Steam Store Page
GOG Store Page

It's very much an endless runner, but in the very best of ways.

It's also $2.50 on gog.com right now, which includes a Steam key!

What is Race The Sun?

You are a solar craft. The sun is your death timer. Hurtle towards the sunset at breakneck speed in a futile race against time. Delay the inevitable by catching energy boosts which reverse the setting sun - if only for a moment.

Race The Sun is inspired by arcade games of the past with a focus on highscores, short game sessions, and a sense of pure fun mingled with a nerve-wracking tension. The rules are simple: don't crash, stay in the light, and don't slow down!

Screenshots:

Reviews:
Gamespot - 8/10
SelectButton - 8/10

dream

It's very much an endless runner, but in the very best of ways.

It's also $2.50 on gog.com right now, which includes a Steam key!

Tangeroo

Sorry OP, but without every other element that makes Star Fox the game it is, this is not the Star Fox I'm waiting for.

Cheddahz

Banned
Sorry OP, but without every other element that makes Star Fox the game it is, this is not the Star Fox I'm waiting for.

Probably shouldn't have compared it to StarFox. It's nothing like StarFox.

I'm going to try and get the title changed. It was the first thing that came to mind (as to me, it controls just like Star Fox). If you guys want to suggets titles for the thread, that is fine with me ;)

Tangeroo

I'm going to try and get the title changed. It was the first thing that came to mind (as to me, it controls just like Star Fox). If you guys want to suggets titles for the thread, that is fine with me ;)

How about "The Star Fox We've Been Waiting For (Unless You're Also Waiting For Shooting, Space Combat, Boss Fights, Multiplayer, Multiple Vehicle Types, First Person Mode, Characters, A Storyline or A Koji Kondo Soundtrack)"

Avallon

Race the Sun |OT| Unity in the Shade

Samus4145

I put up a review back in early September. Gave it an 8. Fun title that become addicting as you improve your ship.

If anyone is interested its here. Ignore the broken YouTube video, a bunch of things got removed from YT recently and I haven't re uploaded.

Cheddahz

Banned
I put up a review back in early September. Gave it an 8. Fun title that become addicting as you improve your ship.

If anyone is interested its here. Ignore the broken YouTube video, a bunch of things got removed from YT recently and I haven't re uploaded.

I just included your review in the OP, thanks!

Only played 2 hours of it a few days ago, but it's a unique spin on the 'runner' concept for sure. Also rather breathtaking when you 'get in the zone' due to how one collision can abruptly end your run with how fast the game's speed tends to ramp up, provided you can succeed in continuously delaying the sun from ultimately setting. I also like how it uses its lighting tricks to catch you off guard;
a missile landing right next to me in Region 4 or 5
spooked me and effectively blinded me for a few seconds (luckily this was near an open straight) and the pitch-black warp zone initially left me a tad uncomfortable too, oddly enough.

One complaint I have: I wish the draw distance was higher so that you'd have slightly more time to react for when you'd spot a power-up from afar, though that may also be an intentional limitation to further re-inforce the element of memorizing regions.

I'm loving it, though I find how well I do depends of the world of the day! One of the worlds about 3ish days ago was horrible.

I've made it to the 5th region once so far, though that was with the help of a world portal to reset the sun.

Top Bottom