• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rachel Dolezal Says She Was ‘Too Black’ for Her Black Husband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaru

"They expected me to do chores... demeaning chores... without even being paid for them... and I had no way to refuse."

(Note: Not an actual quote. But I wouldn't be too surprised if that's fairly close to the mark)

It's like one of those youtuber sensationalism jokes

Kid: * grows up with parents *
Dolezal: "HOW I SPENT 18 YEARS AS A SLAVE WITH NO RIGHTS"

rhandino

Banned
”I would pretend to be a dark-skinned princess in the Sahara Desert or one of the Bantu women living in the Congo ... imagining I was a different person living in a different place was one of the few ways ... that I could escape the oppressive environment I was raised in," she writes.
”I could still relate to aspects of her struggle. I certainly wasn't enslaved ... but it wouldn't have been too much of a stretch to call me an indentured servant," Dolezal says.
1vkH3Xf.gif

ezekial45

Banned
Honest question: Why is her believing she's black less acceptable than someone believing they're the opposite sex?

This is a giant can of worms, and it's best not to open it.

But let's put it this way. The belief that a white person can transition into becoming a black person darkening their skin with tanning and changing their behavior is insulting. Especially when this is not applicable for actual people of color.

caliph95

I didn't know this was a thing to do in topics about her. I have no malicious intent, it was an honest observation about the situation, I'll edit and remove my question. Thanks.
It's fair your a junior you likely didn't know it just annoying thing where the threads gets somewhat derailed by conversation about transgender and trans racial like every thread i read about her.

rhandino

Banned
Honest question: Why is her believing she's black less acceptable than someone believing they're the opposite sex?

... in case you are serious about this question you can just go to THIS THREAD and read the lenghty discussion we had about this issue.

People will jump at you because this question always pop in threads about her and most of the time is just people feigning ignorance to spew even more ignorant and hateful things.

Breads

Banned
It's fair your a junior you likely didn't know it just annoying thing where the threads gets somewhat derailed by conversation about transgender and trans racial like every thread i read about her.

This is literally the only reason why I even checked this thread - to see if people are still trying to make that a thing. Otherwise I'm done with this idiot.

"I'd stir the water into the earth"

Yeah, you left a fuckin' hose running.

I almost wanna read just to see how flowery her descriptions of other everyday bullshit can get.

"I guided the implments to the ends of my feet, and rid from them the nascent talons that dared gouge my man's calves as I stirred, restlessly, in my sleep the night prior; so deep in my dreams, where Africa embraced me as her daughter, and I could be freed of this unfair reality, that I did not realize while I scampered carefree in that world, my legs were churning for the freedom denied me in this one."

Yeah, you clipped your fuckin' toenails.

Rainer70

This is a giant can of worms, and it's best not to open it.

But let's put it this way. The belief that a white person can transition into becoming a black person darkening their skin with tanning and changing their behavior is insulting. Especially when this is not applicable for actual people of color.

That's a fair explanation, thanks. But then again they do have products (I believe popular in India) to lighten skin pigment, so I don't see what stops those people from just claiming to be white (even though it'd never be accepted by white people).

Yeah it was stupid to bring it up. I'm satisfied with ezekial's response, I won't bring it up again

Easy_D

never left the stone age
"Rachel Dolezal’s memoir was released last week, and in it, she not only discusses how she knew about blackness at an early age because of her grandmother’s National Geographic magazines"

k.

Oh my god. Is that implying what I think it is?

Derwind

she knew about blackness at an early age because of her grandmother’s National Geographic magazines

This woman genuinely insane. You couldn't make this shit up and no one would believe you if you did.

She literally making bank off of caricaturing the entire black community. What a shitty human being.

Nephtes

Crazy Woman said:
“I’d stir the water from the hose into the earth … and make thin, soupy mud, which I would then rub on my hands, arms, feet, and legs,” Dolezal states in her book.

Was she maybe"treated like an indentured servant" by her parents because they had her constantly cleaning the house after she brought in puddles of mud from her "black cosplay" attempts in the yard?

Xe4

Banned
Edit: Removed. Don't wanna cause any problems.
Reading your posts, it doesn't seem like there's any malicious intent. Also, it's an honest question. There's nothing wrong with being ignorant on an issue and trying to correct it in the way you did.

However, for the purpose of not having a bunch of people freak out over the post and stuff, it's probably better that it was asked in here or here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom