• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rarest game in your collection?

birdman

M3wThr33 said:
And god knows. I grabbed a handful of shit:
100_0126.jpg

You lucky bastard. I would kill to have The Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

Tenbatsu

242tla9.jpg

1. Xenosaga Limited Edition
2. Tales of Eternia Premium Box
3. Super Robot Wars Alpha Limited Edition
4. Super Robot Wars Gaiden Limited Edition
5. Super Robot Wars Impact Limited Edition
6. Unlimited Saga Limited Edition
7. Bio Hazard: Code Veronica Limited Edition
8. Sonic Adventure 2: 10th Anniversary Edition
9. Shin Megaim Tensei 3: Nocturne Limited Edition
10. Metal Gear Soild 2 Limited Edition
11. Zone of THe Enders 2 Limited Edition
12. Devil May Cry 2 Dante Paper Figure (Free with DMC2 game)
rucq37.jpg

1. 2nd Super Robot Wars Alpha Limited Edition
2. Super Robot Wars OG Limited Art Book(Free with SRWOG game)
3. Devil May Cry Soundtrack (Free with DMC game)
4. Legend of Zelda Gamecube Edition (Free with Windwaker game)
5. Making of Onimusha DVD (Free with Onimusha game)
6. Onimusha 3 DVD (Free with Onimusha 3 game)
7. Capcom Anniversary Special DVD (Free with Bio 4 Best Price)
8. Super Robot Wars Impact DVD (Free with SRW Impact game)
9. 2nd Super Robot Wars Alpha DVD (Free with 2nd SRW Alpha game)
10. Monster Hunter Special Disk (Free with Monster Hunter game)
11. Final Fantasy X soundtrack (Free with FFX)
12. Devil May Cry 2 necklace (Free with DMC2 game)

Used to be such a sucker for Robot Wars limited edition, but stop after they started giving crap. Anw thats it for now, I bet there are still some more lying around:lol

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Okay. I -know- I have rare stuff somewhere in my closet, but at the moment...

* Miner 2049er cart for the Atari computer
* Entire USA Virtual Boy collection -except for- Jack Bros. (Hey, Water World is rare)
* Other stuff

I'd have to dig through the closet and document things.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I have quite a few games in this thread that, if these posters are right, are rare, didn't even know.

MGS: TTS
Black Label GoW1 and 2, Okami, SoTC, God Hand
MGS4 LE?
ZoE 2
Non-FES Persona 3 with artbook and soundtrack
MvC2 for Dreamcast.

Not sure how many, if any, of those are rare.

DavidDayton said:
Okay. I -know- I have rare stuff somewhere in my closet, but at the moment...

* Miner 2049er cart for the Atari computer

Miner isn't rare, it is extremely common (exception: 2600 version). However, Bounty Bob Strikes Back (Atari 8bit, C64, Atari 5200) is. I have it for the 5200.

angelfly

wmat said:
Tribes 2 for Linux:

121y7f5.png

I'm pretty sure noone bought this except for me - everybody and his mother pirated ported Linux games by Loki, that's why they went out of business. :(

I still have my Loki Q3 in its tin case.

b_AlpineGames_SP_front.jpg
c_AlpineGames_SP_front.jpg

b_AlpineGames_SP_back.jpg

Alpine Games for Lynx, but it's a homebrew and not a commercial release. It's mine until I mail it off on Monday :p

Stuff I can think of off the top of my head that probably had low print runs:

GBA: Bookworm
GBA: Ninja Five-O
GBA: Urban Yeti
PS2: Karaoke Revolution Country (I got it to sell on Amazon, leave me alone)
PS2: Futurama (maybe more sought after than rare)
PS1: Robo Pit 2 (budget release, maybe not)
PS1: Qix Neo (budget release, maybe not)
PS1: Early gen light-gun games
Lynx: European Soccer Challenge
Lynx: Fidelity Ultimate Chess Challenge
Lynx: BattleWheels
Xbox: Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue (maybe more sought after than rare)

Not that much, really. Lynx and Neo Geo Pocket Color are the least mainstream systems I own.

Xabora said:
Actually...

I do have some rareass pc games.

Pics tomarrow.

only things that falls into that catagory for me are my copies of LOOM and Secret of Monkey Island

...though LOOM is back at my parents house =(

EctoPrime

Alex Anderson said:
PS2: Futurama (maybe more sought after than rare)

I'm presuming this is the US version as the pal version is dirt common and is lumped in the bargain bins along with EA and Activision games.

Idioteque

Einhander
Guardian Heroes
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Japanese dreamcast version)
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy III (SNES)

Can't take any pictures because I don't own a camera.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
NameGenerated said:
Black Label GoW1 and 2, Okami, SoTC, God Hand

PS2 Okami, God Hand, and SOTC aren't rare. Black label GoW2 is incredibly common. It's the black label of the first GoW that's harder to find.

Kai Ozu

43534543.jpg

Senko no Ronde Rev.X Limited Edition Sealed.

43543543534534543.jpg

KasumiChan blue Xbox Sealed.

I have other shit too, just not sure if it would qualify as rare

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Criteria:

Not easily gotten.
Not played by many.
Not owned by many.
Not released as a LE, SE, Premium whatever.
Amount of platforms released on.

That being said. Mine would probably (not really thinking too hard here) have to be the SFIII premium disc. Only a few made, not released in any other form, and was a pain in the ass to get. Not too many people played SFIII yet alone the premium disc. Games like Saga could be rare in one place and Atari E.T like quantities in others. Rare in the U.S, a buttload in Japan. Rare could be stated as a passage of time since it's no longer selling in retail but that doesn't apply to someone like me. Rare means rare.

schild

Not easily gotten.
Not played by many.
Not owned by many.
Not released as a LE, SE, Premium whatever.
Amount of platforms released on.

What? Where'd you get the second or fourth criteria from? I might be misinterpreting the fourth, but the second one is not a criteria for rare. At all. Might as well call that shitty 99 Dragons game on the Xbox rare then. Meh.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Xabora said:
Actually...

I do have some rareass pc games.

Pics tomarrow.
I have tons of game-unrelated personal computer antiques at my parents', for example the Omikron Basic programming guide, GFA Basic programming guide, a shirt advertising C-LAB's Notator for Atari ST, a C64 manual with tons of misprints, uncountable amounts of magazines with assembler code to type off in them, years and years of ASM issues like this motherfucker
2823vv4.png

And a friend of my parents has a Roland MT-32 lurking in his basement.

Perdew

MightyHedgehog said:
US Suikoden II and Castlevania Chronicles are rare? I still have those.
Anyway, I don't have too much anymore since I eBay'ed or gave away most of my really old and rare(r) stuff in '00 and '01.

These days, I think it's just down to some Japanese titles:

Shadowrun (Mega CD)
Rondo of Blood (PC-E Super CD)
Golden Axe III (Mega Drive)
Rakugaki Showtime (PS)
Yu Yu Hakusho (Mega Drive)
Alien Soldier (Mega Drive)
Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG & Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn Japanese & US)
Geppy X (PS)
1on1 (PS)

I was expecting more people here to drop 'Radiant Silvergun', it's nice to see a few other people who own Rakugaki Showtime and Mega Drive (JP) Alien Soldier. I think the RAREST thing I own is probably Silhouette Mirage on the JP PSX. The saturn version is worth more, but it's quite common. It took me a good 6 months of eBay stalking to grab it.

Also, Ganbare Neo Poke Kun and Engrish Language Evolution on NGPC!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
schild said:
What? Where'd you get the second or fourth criteria from? I might be misinterpreting the fourth, but the second one is not a criteria for rare. At all. Might as well call that shitty 99 Dragons game on the Xbox rare then. Meh.

It has to be a combination of them all. Just because there is an extra premium edition of a game does not make it rare if there is a standard version out there that anyone can easily access it. The contents itself are rare, the game is not. Get it? And yeah, that game you mentioned would actually be rare compared to many games.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Well if we're going by that criteria then...

Can I talk my preview builds, unreleased carts? Cuz that is the only thing I can think of.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Jazzy Network said:
So FF7 isn't rare? Cause a shit load of people have played it, yet it's selling for 70+. Those criterias are flawed.

It's expensive not rare. Reading comprehension.

Struct09 said:
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Limited Edition (US), still sealed.
Same here! :D

Went to the bottom of my pile of shame when I got it. Then once I was ready to play it I found out it was truly a limited release :lol

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
This thread failed on page 1.

Yup yup yup.

I'm going to start posting google images in here to vent.

DCharlie

Banned
until recent sale, one of :

Gaiaseed
Harmfull Park
Saphire
Judgement Silversword
chip chan kick

maybe one of the PCBs?
tobe! Polystars (M2 game)?
Cannon Dancer maybe?
Penguin Brothers?

schild

Kadey said:
It has to be a combination of them all. Just because there is an extra premium edition of a game does not make it rare if there is a standard version out there that anyone can easily access it. The contents itself are rare, the game is not. Get it? And yeah, that game you mentioned would actually be rare compared to many games.

Kadey, that criteria is insane. I have stacks of preview copies of games that are more rare (as in, nearly impossible to get) of both releases and unreleased games. 99 dragons isn't rare. If so, go buy yourself 20 copies at any load of gamestops and stock up. That's just madness.

rare1 Audio Help /rɛər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rair] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective, rar·er, rar·est.
1. coming or occurring far apart in time; unusual; uncommon: a rare disease; His visits are rare occasions.
2. thinly distributed over an area; few and widely separated: Lighthouses are rare on that part of the coast.
3. having the component parts not closely compacted together; not dense: rare gases; lightheaded from the rare mountain air.
4. unusually great: a rare display of courage.
5. unusually excellent; admirable; fine: She showed rare tact in inviting them.

I've bolded the correct criteria for something to be rare (at least in the sense of video games).

The only addendum I could see making to it is this: Demand outstrips supply - and more supply isn't coming.

Case in point: The cost of FF7 was driven up due to demand outstripping supply. Now does that make it rare? It depends on whether one thinks demand will continue to outstrip supply.

This is not rare. No matter what sort of insane criteria you apply to gaming. Sorry.

EctoPrime said:
I'm presuming this is the US version as the pal version is dirt common and is lumped in the bargain bins along with EA and Activision games.

Yep, the US version. It's worth about 30 bucks, I think. Maybe it had a different publisher in Europe.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
schild said:
Kadey, that criteria is insane. I have stacks of preview copies of games that are more rare (as in, nearly impossible to get) of both releases and unreleased games. 99 dragons isn't rare. If so, go buy yourself 20 copies at any load of gamestops and stock up. That's just madness.

rare1 Audio Help /rɛər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rair] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective, rar·er, rar·est.
1. coming or occurring far apart in time; unusual; uncommon: a rare disease; His visits are rare occasions.
2. thinly distributed over an area; few and widely separated: Lighthouses are rare on that part of the coast.
3. having the component parts not closely compacted together; not dense: rare gases; lightheaded from the rare mountain air.
4. unusually great: a rare display of courage.
5. unusually excellent; admirable; fine: She showed rare tact in inviting them.

I've bolded the correct criteria for something to be rare (at least in the sense of video games).

The only addendum I could see making to it is this: Demand outstrips supply - and more supply isn't coming.

Case in point: The cost of FF7 was driven up due to demand outstripping supply. Now does that make it rare? It depends on whether one thinks demand will continue to outstrip supply.

This is not rare. No matter what sort of insane criteria you apply to gaming. Sorry.

I did say you have to factor in all those criteria. Not just one. Like the example I gave. FF7 was also released on the PC, in multi-territories and easily gotten in Ebay auctions. And you pretty much proved my point in your first sentence. Drake isn't an extremely rare game in which you probably are throwing to put into my mouth as saying but it is more rare in that it's only released on one platform and in U.S territories compared to many games released all over the place and on multiple platforms. You think someone can just walk into a store in Europe and expect to get one?
Let's use that elemental gearbolt game as an example. Okay. Yeah, he has some special edition that few people have. But that doesn't mean people don't have access to the regular game itself that was released in huge quantities and all over the world. In essence, the game isn't rare, but the contents he has is.

Perdew said:
I was expecting more people here to drop 'Radiant Silvergun', it's nice to see a few other people who own Rakugaki Showtime and Mega Drive (JP) Alien Soldier. I think the RAREST thing I own is probably Silhouette Mirage on the JP PSX. The saturn version is worth more, but it's quite common. It took me a good 6 months of eBay stalking to grab it.
Actually, I still have Radiant Silvergun and Silhouette Mirage for the Japanese Saturn, as well as others (mostly 8-bit stuff)...just that I didn't really want to make a big list because that would require me sifting through a lot of boxes in storage. But yeah, I love me some Treasure...ever since Gunstar I went out of my way to import every single release of theirs.

Dot50Cal

Banned
MarkMan said:
Well if we're going by that criteria then...

Can I talk my preview builds, unreleased carts? Cuz that is the only thing I can think of.
I think that was pretty much said by the OP, when he mentioned Half-Life for Dreamcast. Yet people are still posting MGS Twin Snakes. :lol By the way, any Resident Evil ones? :p

schild

Kadey said:
I did say you have to factor in all those criteria. Not just one. Like the example I gave. FF7 was also released on the PC, in multi-territories and easily gotten in Ebay auctions. And you pretty much proved my point in your first sentence. Drake isn't an extremely rare game in which you probably are throwing to put into my mouth as saying but it is more rare in that it's only released on one platform and in U.S territories compared to many games released all over the place and on multiple platforms.

Mostly, I just want you to get rid of criteria 2. Honestly and I didn't want to attack you, but it's a stupid criteria.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
schild said:
Mostly, I just want you to get rid of criteria 2. Honestly and I didn't want to attack you, but it's a stupid criteria.

I'm not forcing anyone to use my criteria. :lol That's just my own personal criteria since I have hundreds of rare games if going by regular standards and many of them I don't consider rare going by the fact just because I have an exclusive edition doesn't mean people couldn't still play it somehow in another form.

schild

Kadey said:
I'm not forcing anyone to use my criteria. :lol That's just my own personal criteria since I have hundreds of rare games if going by regular standards.
But remember, there's lots of people who have been in and around game developers who didn't even have to spend money to get rare stuff. The best definition is the simplest one. I mean it's mostly Occam's Razor here.

If very few people have it, it's rare. That's pretty much my basic definition. I didn't like the addendum I posted above, but I did to be kind to the kiddies in this thread that do find that stuff rare.

That said, I've got something in one of my systems that's probably rarer than anything else in this thread or, for that matter, probably in your house. But you know, it'll be released, and there's no content changes except maybe some typographical shit. But it's rare. Italicized up in that mofo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
probably Skies of Arcadia Legends. As big as a gamer as I am, I actually don't own a whole lot of games. :(

schild

Let's use that elemental gearbolt game as an example. Okay. Yeah, he has some special edition that few people have. But that doesn't mean people don't have access to the regular game itself that was released in huge quantities and all over the world. In essence, the game isn't rare, but the contents he has is.

Just saw this edit. That changes everything. So you're taking the absolute most raw definition of a game, itself, the disc with the game on it, being rare. Interesting, sort of. But only because it renders nothing rare because of the bittorrent. The contents, IMO, are what's important. The disc it's pressed on. The books that come with it. The casing. That's all part of the collection. Collecting history. For example, you have what, over 9,000 Game Boy micros? Most collectors would think you're fucking nuts for ever removing more than one from the packaging. Hell *I* think you're fucking nuts. But that's not what we're discussing here:

With your edit, you have basically rendered rare to not exist. It's just ones and zeroes. If I really want to play Rakugaki showtime, I can.

Dot50Cal

Banned
btkadams said:
every metal gear game is discontinued...

except for MGS4 and MGS: PO+ (ya even the original portable ops is discontinued)
That doesn't make it rare. Hell, Resident Evil 1 on PS1 is discontinued, is that rare too? (maybe the longbox version, but not so much).

Top Bottom