• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rarest game in your collection?

Mr Rivuz

I think my rarest games are Suikoden I - II, and also Lunar Silver Star Story and Lunar Eternal Blue both in their complete editions with the medallion and all the other stuff.

Bo130

I'm not sure which games are rare. Could someone help me out. I think these games might be a bit rare;

Air Boarder 64
Beach Spikers
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Doshin the Giant
Ikaruga
Kuru Kuru Kururin
Kururin's Paradise
Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition
Lost Kingdoms
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
Nintendo Puzzle Collection
Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II
Sega Soccer Slam
Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Virtual Striker 2002

Also I have Super Monkey Ball 2, which was mentioned already in this thread. Didn't expect that to be rare.

Azure J

Super Jeopardy (NES), Tetris 2 (NES), Yoshi (NES), & Mega Man 64 are all that come to mind right now. I'll go check in a bit when I get back home.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
schild said:
Just saw this edit. That changes everything. So you're taking the absolute most raw definition of a game, itself, the disc with the game on it, being rare. Interesting, sort of. But only because it renders nothing rare because of the bittorrent. The contents, IMO, are what's important. The disc it's pressed on. The books that come with it. The casing. That's all part of the collection. Collecting history. For example, you have what, over 9,000 Game Boy micros? Most collectors would think you're fucking nuts for ever removing more than one from the packaging. Hell *I* think you're fucking nuts. But that's not what we're discussing here:

With your edit, you have basically rendered rare to not exist. It's just ones and zeroes. If I really want to play Rakugaki showtime, I can.

Exactly. But the contents itself may vary. I mean look at Subsistence, behind all those goodies is just the regular case itself with the standard disc. Putting all the extras aside, it's no different from the actual standard editions. People can swap it all around and it wouldn't make a difference. Now, if the disc actually had a different press or some kind of engraving indicating it was special, then yeah.

Here's a pic of my remaining Master System games, from another thread. The game of note is Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse. Digital Press gives it a "7" scarcity rating. I don't collect rare games, unless I want to play them, but I was surprised to learn this was my rarest console game, above all of my (what I consider) rare RPGs. And I only got it because I wasn't fortunate enough to have a Genesis and its superior version. Without Digital Press' online rarity guide, I would have guessed that my rarest console game is Terry Pratchet's Discworld, which actually rates a "5".

I don't have it, but I looked up the Elemental Gearbolt Assassin's Case Edition, that a couple other people posted, and Digital Press gives it a perfect "10" scarcity rating.

Here are the links for the the Digital Press pages on CoI and EG:

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
Elemental Gearbolt Assassin's Case Edition

2j362hj.jpg

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Miner isn't rare, it is extremely common (exception: 2600 version). However, Bounty Bob Strikes Back (Atari 8bit, C64, Atari 5200) is. I have it for the 5200.

Okay. I have both for the Atari 8-bit, and I knew ONE of them was rare.

Squoon for the NES. Somewhat rare.. not overly...an Arkanoid controller...NES Action Replay...one of the Impossible Mission releases...I think I have the early licensed Namco Pac-Man...Tombs & treasure...

I have a lot of stuff I -really- need to archive... 3D0, CDI systems too.

schild

Kadey said:
Exactly. But the contents itself may vary. I mean look at Subsistence, behind all those goodies is just the regular case itself with the standard disc. Putting all the extras aside, it's no different from the actual standard editions. People can swap it all around and it wouldn't make a difference. Now, if the disc actually had a different press or some kind of engraving indicating it was special, then yeah.

So, basically, by your definition: Rare games don't exist.

Ok.

See, you could've just said that.

Dot50Cal

Banned
schild said:

Ok.

Read the OP again:

I'm not talking something along the lines of it being signed by the created, but I mean something like Half-Life 2 for the Dreamcast..something like that. I was just going through my games and I've got nothing like that. If you do I'd love to see them.

IE: Unreleased, or prototype games. And lol @ HL2 on DC, confused, OP?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
schild said:

Ok.

Nope. Now you're just putting words into my mouth because you are disagreeing with me.

Tokimeki Memorial 3 Limited Edition GIANT PINK BOX OF DOOM
Sakura Taisen V LE
Super Robot Wars OG Gaiden LE
Growlanser V US LE
and probably the coolest hard to find game i have: Black Matrix 00

DSC00617.jpg

schild

No, your definition implies rare as something that's hard to acquire and play.

We're on the internet. I'm not condoning it, I'm just stating this as fact: Nothing is hard to acquire and play.

Nothing. Not a single game in the history of gaming.

Well, that's not true, there's a handful of Arcade PCBs that you must have the PCB for. Other than that, nothing.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Bo130 said:
Also I have Super Monkey Ball 2, which was mentioned already in this thread. Didn't expect that to be rare.

Super Monkey Ball 2 is -rare-?

I have a big stack of GameCube kiosk demo disks... somewhat hard to find... still trying to complete my collection, so if anyone wanted to trade...

DCharlie

Banned
Nothing is hard to acquire and play.

there are a couple of games where there are 5-6 copies in existance which swap hands in Japan for around the 4-5k$ mark - with such a small number of copies, it's not entirely true to say -nothing- is hard to acquire and play.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
schild said:
No, your definition implies rare as something that's hard to acquire and play.

We're on the internet. I'm not condoning it, I'm just stating this as fact: Nothing is hard to acquire and play.

Nothing. Not a single game in the history of gaming.

Well, that's not true, there's a handful of Arcade PCBs that you must have the PCB for. Other than that, nothing.

I'll give you $200 if you can go find one of copies of the 1980s world championship NES cartridges and come over to my house and play it me while we post pictures on GAF. Yeah. So easy to do that huh? You're just being ridiculous now.

schild

DCharlie said:
there are a couple of games where there are 5-6 copies in existance which swap hands in Japan for around the 4-5k$ mark - with such a small number of copies, it's not entirely true to say -nothing- is hard to acquire and play.

I am interested in knowing what these are. I know some things that haven't been dumped, but the list is very, very short. And we're not gonna see any of them in this thread.

schild

Kadey said:
I'll give you $200 if you can go find one of copies of the 1980s world championship NES cartridges and come over to my house and play it me while we post pictures on GAF. Yeah. So easy to do that huh? You're just being ridiculous now.

I just said acquire and play. I didn't say legitimately. Was that not implied enough?

Also, I assume you're talking about the 1990 championship gold cart. In which case, one of the grey ones _was_ dumped.

My mom has pictures of me playing one at the NWC though. I still have the rules sheets and such.

Ra\/en

I don't know if anything I have is very rare at all.

I have original copies of Lunar Silver Star Story complete, SaGa frontier II, vagrant story, final fantasy chronicles

edit: I have a copy of lemmings chronicles. a GREAT PC game that came out who knows when. if you look on ebay you come up with like 1 thing.

vireland

Okay, here's just a few of the ones I have:

(cheating part)
Elemental Gearbolt Assassin Case complete
Ghaleon doll (not the puppet, the one before we settled on the puppet)
Alex Puppets

(legit part)
Black Matrix PS
Shadowrun MEGA CD
Radiant Silvergun Saturn
Rakugaki Showtime PS
Snatcher US SEGA CD
Keio Flying Squadron US SEGA CD
Dracula X PC-Engine

schild

Oh man, I got derailed total by Vic.

Ever gonna change that avatar to a gravestone, bro?

Edit: Also, I kinda want to see a picture of the Ghaleon doll.

smurfx

get some go again
marvel vs capcom 2 for the ps2.

edit: omg when did final fantasy 7 became rare? it's going for 60 dollars or more on ebay. i guess that's another rare game in my collection. oh i got tomba as well. i had heard it was hard to find and it goes pretty high on ebay.

DCharlie

Banned
Elemental Gearbolt Assassin Case complete

hehe, i know a few people with this now, but a friend who has it is trying to figure out exactly who parted with the one he bought in Akihabara.

He has the list of everyone who originally won it so had asked me to see if John TV or Mark MacD had parted with it, neither had - now i know you are off the list too! lol.

The case was criminally underpriced too - the other interesting thing was the memory card in the pack was gold plated, is that the case with all of the attache cases?

I am interested in knowing what these are. I know some things that haven't been dumped, but the list is very, very short. And we're not gonna see any of them in this thread.

one is a room designer thing for the Saturn, will check out the special case next time i am in akihabara.

schild said:
I own a Ketsui PCB. Not emulated, no home port (yet), better than any game mentioned in this thread so far, worth a ton of money (and it's tripled in value since I bought it). I win!

Of course this all changes once the 360 version comes out...I'm debating selling it off, since the price it fetches will easily cover the cost of a Japanese 360 + game, but who knows how the port will turn out and I really don't want another damn console lying around. Especially one that's so failure prone. Decisions are hard.

btkadams

Dot50Cal said:
That doesn't make it rare. Hell, Resident Evil 1 on PS1 is discontinued, is that rare too? (maybe the longbox version, but not so much).
i didnt say metal gear games were rare, i said they were discontinued :p

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
schild said:
I just said acquire and play. I didn't say legitimately. Was that not implied enough?

Also, I assume you're talking about the 1990 championship gold cart. In which case, one of the grey ones _was_ dumped.

My mom has pictures of me playing one at the NWC though. I still have the rules sheets and such.
Dumped, nothing. RetroZone is selling very high quality reproduction carts of it.

NWCReproCart03.jpg

schild

Rummy Bunnz said:
I own a Ketsui PCB. Not emulated, no home port (yet), better than any game mentioned in this thread so far, worth a ton of money (and it's tripled in value since I bought it). I win!

Yea, Ketsui went crazy up in value, particularly with the poster/flyer shit. I'm always scared of Cave PCBs as they frequently have different sorts of hardware bugs or problems that don't get found out for a long time. I sold the only one I had a while ago, even though it was one of my favorite games Ever.

And yes, it's pretty much better than anything in this thread. And it's probably a good time to sell it on Shmups if you're looking to make bank.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Man, I know a guy that at one time had 7 of the GOLD Nintendo World Championships carts. He hands down has the CRAZIEST collection out of anyone I know (online or offline).

He has the best condition gold NWC too. Absolutely pristine.

vireland

DCharlie said:
hehe, i know a few people with this now, but a friend who has it is trying to figure out exactly who parted with the one he bought in Akihabara.

He has the list of everyone who originally won it so had asked me to see if John TV or Mark MacD had parted with it, neither had - now i know you are off the list too! lol.

The case was criminally underpriced too - the other interesting thing was the memory card in the pack was gold plated, is that the case with all of the attache cases?

It was probably one of a handful (maybe 3? 4?) I sent to business associates in Japan as gifts. There's a funny story with that. I didn't tell them they were coming, and when they showed up unannounced, they were nervous because it looked like a Yakuza case (bomb, whatever, they never explained what a Yakuza case would have in it). Until they got up the nerve to open it, they thought the Japanese mob was sending them a message. :) Cracked me up.

All the early cases had gold plated Sony memory cards. It was a real hassle getting approval from Sony US to do that, but in (yet another) case of Phil Harrison *getting it* he cut through all the bull and put his executive stamp on it, making the growing hassle storm go away. He really was one of the few people left at Sony that really understood the business. The later cases (maybe the last 5-10 of the 50 or so we made) had red memory cards. I have 5 or 6 gold Sony memory cards that were "seconds" I didn't think were perfect enough to use.

How much was the Akihabara case? I've heard of one here that went for well over $1500 recently. At the time we released it, one went for $500ish, but those are the only two I've heard that were sold.

Hey, Mr. Ireland...did you guys ever see about getting the rights to publish and localize Shadowrun on the Sega CD? Or would that have been more problematic because you were dealing with a licensed property?

vireland

schild said:
Oh man, I got derailed total by Vic.

Ever gonna change that avatar to a gravestone, bro?

Edit: Also, I kinda want to see a picture of the Ghaleon doll.

Why would I change my avatar? Is it not sexy enough?

I think I gave a pic of the Ghaleon doll to one of the fansites years ago. I forgot to mention that I also have the unproduced Borgan and Lucia puppet heads.

vireland

MightyHedgehog said:
Hey, Mr. Ireland...did you guys ever see about getting the rights to publish and localize Shadowrun on the Sega CD? Or would that have been more problematic because you were dealing with a licensed property?

We were looking at it, which is the reason I have the game. Unfortunately, the MEGA CD was well on it's way out the door and there were political and licensing problems with the game, so it never happened for the USA. Despite the fact that the connections to Shadowrun's universe are tenuous at best, I play the XBOX 360 Shadowrun all the time. Shame there will never be any expansion packs.

DCharlie

Banned
It was probably one of a handful (maybe 3? 4?) I sent to business associates in Japan as gifts. There's a funny story with that. I didn't tell them they were coming, and when they showed up unannounced, they were nervous because it looked like a Yakuza case (bomb, whatever, they never explained what a Yakuza case would have in it). Until they got up the nerve to open it, they thought the Japanese mob was sending them a message. :) Cracked me up.

haha- that's awesome!

All the early cases had gold plated Sony memory cards. It was a real hassle getting approval from Sony US to do that, but in (yet another) case of Phil Harrison *getting it* he cut through all the bull and put his executive stamp on it, making the growing hassle storm go away. He really was one of the few people left at Sony that really understood the business. The later cases (maybe the last 5-10 of the 50 or so we made) had red memory cards. I have 5 or 6 gold Sony memory cards that were "seconds" I didn't think were perfect enough to use.

fantastic - i'll pass that on - thanks a bunch! :D

How much was the Akihabara case? I've heard of one here that went for well over $1500 recently. At the time we released it, one went for $500ish, but those are the only two I've heard that were sold.

amazingly - under $150 (one hundred fifty). My friend was a big time old collector but sold up X years ago, but still has the collecting bug and can't pass up something that's priced lower than it should be! :D

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
vireland said:
$1,358.99 if you want to put an exact figure on it. Unless there was another one that sold for the $1500+.

That was former EGM editor, Chris Johnston, selling his Gearbolt case.

The auction link is dead now, but here are some pictures of his former possession: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2102.

schild

vireland said:
Why would I change my avatar? Is it not sexy enough?

It's more like one of those symbols of hope that transcends your not-so-awesome reputation. As in, we, as gamers, would really LIKE to think that you're gonna get some shit done again and bring us some great packages but at this point, it's just a totally lost hope and your avatar is taunting... everyone.

vireland

schild said:
It's more like one of those symbols of hope that transcends your not-so-awesome reputation. As in, we, as gamers, would really LIKE to think that you're gonna get some shit done again and bring us some great packages but at this point, it's just a totally lost hope and your avatar is taunting... everyone.

Ok. Gotcha. Just ignore my avatar, then.

Going by Digital Press's ratings... 5 or higher only. I'm not sure about their ratings (some seem questionable), but what better ones are there?

--
The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)
The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
Lamborghini American Challenge (SNES)
Rollcage Limited Edition (PSX)

--
Ogre Battle 64 (N64)
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth (N64)
Cruis'n Exotica (N64)
Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Wolfchild (Genesis) (really, this is somewhat rare? Huh...)
Splatterhouse 2 (Genesis)
Rastan Saga II (Genesis) (such a horribly bad game, it's better off rare...)
Junction (Genesis)
Mohawk & Headphone Jack (SNES)
First Samurai (SNES)
Carrier Aces (SNES)
Tempest X3 (PSX)

... My rarest games, not counting PC games which they don't list? I don't know, but they say so anyway (unless I missed some, which is possible -- and they don't list PS2, GC, GBA, DS, etc with any rarity ratings at all).

My most valuable game is possibly my complete copy of Quest for Glory: Collection Series (PC of course), though. I'm really not sure which of my other PC games have value... but I'd bet that some of my rarer games are PC games. I just have no way of knowing which PC games are rare or not, really...

Are any of these at all rare? (all complete unless noted)

Cohort: Fighting For Rome (the US DOS version, with the 'Fighting For Rome' box -- currently unavailable on Amazon and EBay. One European Amiga version is on Ebay for like $1.50, but that's it.

Sid & Al's Incredible Toons -- the later "Incredible Toon Machine" version is more common, but the original (complete with box and poster and all) is less so, I think...

Interplay's 15th Anniversary Collection -- is this rare or not?

Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire (maybe?)

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Betrayal at Krondor CD (jewelcase only)

Mega Man 3, X (with the Capcom PC Fighter 6 gamepad that came with it), X4, and X5

Death Track Racing (aka Rollcage Stage II)

Extreme-G 2 (XG2)

Commander Keen: Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter! (I lost the watch, sadly... still have the Keening newsletter, though!)

Claw (the DVD edition -- somewhat valuable I believe, though it's jewelcase only)

etc.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Conker's Bad Fur Day (PAL) - this is actually quite rare, maybe because of it's high price at release, nearly no commercials, unusual publisher and it being quite an unusual game.
Zelda Collector's Edition - got it by Nintendo's star catalog with packaging and manual. There were just a few thousand copies like that IIRC
Zelda Bonus Disc (Ocarina of Time) - Nintendo at least says it's quite rare, not sure if it's correct.

Ramirez

242tla9.jpg

Is the Sonic Adventure thing worth anything? I have that and I have no idea what made me want it, I was like 13 at the time and I got it from some import site. :lol

vireland

Whimsical Phil said:
$1,358.99 if you want to put an exact figure on it. Unless there was another one that sold for the $1500+.

That was former EGM editor, Chris Johnston, selling his Gearbolt case.

The auction link is dead now, but here are some pictures of his former possession: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2102.

That was a different one. I didn't know about the one Chris sold. So that's three that I know about being sold. As far as I know, all the ex-WD employees still have theirs, though a couple are getting tempted to sell as the price approaches $2k.

vireland said:
We were looking at it, which is the reason I have the game. Unfortunately, the MEGA CD was well on it's way out the door and there were political and licensing problems with the game, so it never happened for the USA. Despite the fact that the connections to Shadowrun's universe are tenuous at best, I play the XBOX 360 Shadowrun all the time. Shame there will never be any expansion packs.

Cool, I figured you guys would have. Too bad it was a really late release...seems like it could have had a decent following...at least to WD/SCD and Shadowrun fans of the mid-90s, anyway.
A Black Falcon said:
The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)
The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Wolfchild (Genesis) (really, this is somewhat rare? Huh...)
Splatterhouse 2 (Genesis)
Rastan Saga II (Genesis) (such a horribly bad game, it's better off rare...)
Junction (Genesis)
Mohawk & Headphone Jack (SNES)
First Samurai (SNES)
Carrier Aces (SNES)
Tempest X3 (PSX)
These are all considered rare?! I have them all and really, I thought they were all common. Digital Press' rarity scale seems wildly inconsistent.

Ramirez said:
242tla9.jpg

Is the Sonic Adventure thing worth anything? I have that and I have no idea what made me want it, I was like 13 at the time and I got it from some import site. :lol

if its the crystal cube its VERY rare.

Top Bottom