• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends: Leaked Wii-U Trailer

Well for starters they're using the same controller there, and that's a game that was designed with having the second player be someone who otherwise wouldn't/couldn't play the game properly in mind. It was never intended for a "true" co-op experience.

There are countless examples of games on the Wii where everyone can play the same with the same controller. That's the worrying thing about the Wii U - we might not be able to say that. In the worst case scenario you might only have one person playing with the cool new tech and everyone else lumped with 6 year old controllers that don't offer the same features.

The game looks absolutely awesome.

The asthetics of the rayman games, especially with the new engines, deserves high praise. <3

I'm not sure about the Wii U specific features though. I really don't care for those figurines a la Skylanders.

Well for starters they're using the same controller there, and that's a game that was designed with having the second player be somehow who otherwise wouldn't/couldn't play the game properly. It was never intended for a "true" co-op experience.

That's the whole point, it's asynchronous. That's why it's essentially the same thing as the WiiU concept. I doubt people will feel any more jealous whether they're virtual second banana (Tails, Diddy, star bit man) or physically second banana due to controller.

shink

Wow that looks fantastic.
Is it Wii-U only? Using the Pad in the 4p version doesn't look that much fun to me. It's a bit like using the Move controller in LBP2.

Would love to see a portable version too.

That's the whole point, it's asynchronous. That's why it's essentially the same thing as the WiiU concept. I doubt people will feel any more jealous whether they're virtual second banana (Tails, Diddy, star bit man) or physically second banana due to controller.

What about a game like Mario Kart? Smash Bros? New Super Mario Bros?

Those are all games where you have true co-op/competitive games, and THOSE are the games where it will suck the most.

Besides, I disagree with your point. Even in games where one person is the "second banana" they should still be able to use the proper controller if they want to.

jimi_dini

Yeah that analogy maybe wasn't the best :p But still, look at all the features that the Wii U tablet has over the Wiimote. Anyone stuck with the Wiimote is going to feel like they're not getting the full experience.

Depends on the games. Some games may even not need the Wii U pad at all.
Sure, it would be great, if they had at least support for one additional pad. On the other hand, I don't know if anyone would like to shell out 100+ bucks just for another pad and that's probably explaining why Nintendo is limiting support to 1 pad currently. And 4 pad support is out of the question, because it would require even faster hardware, which would inflate the console price.

Also wiimotes and Wii U pad are completely different controllers. "Light-Gun"/RE4-like games for example just wouldn't work as well with the pad, if even at all. And the Wiimote(+) just IS the perfect controller for such games. Sure, they could have pulled a Sony and released a new Wiimote, called Wiimote 2, removing rumble and the speaker, because that's sooo last gen and adding another button or stuff like that just to force people to rebuy controllers. Thinking about that, I'm quite happy with the way Nintendo handles it. Because it means that I will just buy the console and that's it. No additional controllers. No multipad. And it will be already multiplayer-capable.

Also Mario Kart? Will use Wiimotes/Classic Controllers exclusively. Will perhaps show a map on the Wii U pad for everyone to see or stuff like that. Why would anyone want to drive a cart using the Wii U pad?

I hope the Pad player is an actual character player instead of what the trailer showed where they just move platforms etc. I don't want the bucket bitch from FFCC to return :mad:

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hnnnngggg, there are so many possibilities for Tablet + Wii Remote multiplayer.

Also Mario Kart? Will use Wiimotes/Classic Controllers exclusively. Will perhaps show a map on the Wii U pad for everyone to see or stuff like that. Why would anyone want to drive a cart using the Wii U pad?

Why WOULDN'T they?

This is the controller for the entire console. It needs to be used in a way that makes you want to use it. If they can't make it more appealing to play with than the last gen controllers they Nintendo have absolutely failed.

SparkTR

Wow that looks fantastic.
Is it Wii-U only? Using the Pad in the 4p version doesn't look that much fun to me. It's a bit like using the Move controller in LBP2.

Would love to see a portable version too.

No, it's probably a port with tacked on Touch features, like the majority of Wii-U launch window games I suspect.

What about a game like Mario Kart? Smash Bros? New Super Mario Bros?

Those are all games where you have true co-op/competitive games, and THOSE are the games where it will suck the most.

Besides, I disagree with your point. Even in games where one person is the "second banana" they should still be able to use the proper controller if they want to.

I think you put way too much importance on "the proper controller." The important thing is the game, not the controller. It's not going to be a big deal.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
WHAT. THE.FUCK????? Did not expect to see this when waking up! It's so crazy seeing an actual Wii-UPad playing something lol. Made me smile. :)

NFC and touch screen features seem to be neat side features. Game looks amazing btw, and succeeded in getting me really excited for E3.

I think you put way too much importance on "the proper controller." The important thing is the game, not the controller. It's not going to be a big deal.

To you, but to me it is.

Buying a new piece of hardware and having multiplayer experiences with old tech is very disappointing. It's a huge compromise.

To you, but to me it is.

Buying a new piece of hardware and having multiplayer experiences with old tech is very disappointing. It's a huge compromise.

You would be disappointed to play with an old controller design on a new system? Did PS2 and PS3 really rustle your jimmies?

Especially a controller you already paid for and don't have to buy again.

Riposte

The art design in Rayman games are so terrible. This also looks kind of worse than Origins too, which was a little more convincing with the animated cartoon look.

jimi_dini

Why WOULDN'T they?

This is the controller for the entire console. It needs to be used in a way that makes you want to use it. If they can't make it more appealing to play with than the last gen controllers they Nintendo have absolutely failed.

Just because you bought the latest hammer doesn't mean everything in front of you is a nail.

Smash Bros Brawl supports Gamecube/Classic controllers as well. And many prefer those over the Wiimotes. What's wrong with that? It depends on the games.

You would be disappointed to play with an old controller design on a new system? Did PS2 and PS3 really rustle your jimmies?

Especially a controller you already paid for and don't have to buy again.

Well, yeah it did because I hate the DS controller and wish they would change that goddamn design ;)

But look at the Wiimote and Wii U Tablet. There are SO many differences. The screen, the sticks, the triggers. If games are going to be designed around that, then how can the Wiimote not feel like a second thought and provide the same experience? Why would you choose to use a controller that offers less than the new controller for the new console?

I want the games to use the new tablet to the fullest and not have to figure out how to design a game where someone can play with one tablet and still allow others to play with a lesser controller. It will compromise game design in some cases.

The Wiimote should be an option just like the GC controller was for the Wii, but the preferred way to play should be the tablet. If it costs a lot then tough shit, it's an expensive hobby. I'd cough up for it.

beje

Banned
I really don't understand the fuss about NFC like it's some technology from Mars. It's been used for ages in public transit cards or control access in buildings.

rpmurphy

Wow that looks nice. Now I'm starting to believe that solid launch for Wii U that IGN or whoever said recently. And NFC aspect seems interesting...

sPGIU.jpg

So long as I can use my sexy red CCPro like using the tablet minus the screen, I'm game.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
My personal take on the Ubi video concerning this part: we see the people without the padlet heavily focusing on the guy holding it and smiling, it's a bad message, like "hey, the fun is occurring on the Wii U controller, not with Wii-motes". They need to work harder in regard to that, and show that thanks to a clever asymmetrical gamedesign (which they are capable of), the DRC content is fun, it's a given yes, but it's also the same for the 3 other people playing on the TV with wiimotes.

Good point Ideaman, the video did give off that vibe, though I'm not sure if that Isn't wanted or not at this current state....

As for Wiimote inclusion, THANK GOD! The Wiimote is a great controller for 2D gaming, and confirms that developers still have a plausible chance of using wiimote plus for something. I just hope motionplus becomes the standard nextgen for Nintendo. Not having to buy more controllers for four player action for this Christmas is a godsend, and there is no way more then two tablets will be support so I don't see this video as any evidence for or against the possibility. Not having two pad support for Madden alone would be a HUGE mistake IMO.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Yeah that analogy maybe wasn't the best :p But still, look at all the features that the Wii U tablet has over the Wiimote. Anyone stuck with the Wiimote is going to feel like they're not getting the full experience.

This is what i've said earlier, and it's a gamedesign problem. Studios must make sure that the wiimote/tv content is at least as compelling and exciting as the padlet one.

Therefore, in muti (cooperative or competitive), players will be blown away by the Wii U, because it will basically allow them to have two different experience in one, with two different displays (TV/Tablet screen), two contrasting control methods (motion + buttons / less motion + buttons + touchscreen), and possibly two different approach of the game itself (FPS on the TV, RTS view on the DRC). Two games in one, and you & your friends would be eager to "try the other role" and switch of controllers, some would have their favorite one and be less effective on the other, etc.

We could even imagine an asymmetrical game difficulty/accessibility, like an hardcore gamer FPS on the TV handled by the experienced guy in the living room, which will be helped by his girlfriend/little sister/grandpa that would experience a simple strategic game on the padlet, triggering some things on the TV. Another way to broaden the market, and introduce a new audience to this media.

But all these possible ideas must be well implemented and promoted. Then it won't be a problem to have people on the DRC and others with the wiimotes.

Boerseun

Banned
For my taste, this looks a lot better than the Flash-style graphics of Rayman Origins. Yet it's the Wii U-exclusive features that has me sold. I'm hoping we see this at launch alongside Killer Freaks from Outer Space and Ghost Recon On-line.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Of course the first leaked Wii U game isnt a game to show us if its really on par or better than the current HD consoles. :D

Top Bottom