• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadetar

Usually, you say "my condolences" when some tragedy befalls someone. Unless you consider being one step closer to death as a tragedy, then it's in the wrong context. ;p

I appreciate the gesture, though.
I am very well aware of the way how people usually use that expression. ;)

Usually, you say "my condolences" when some tragedy befalls someone. Unless you consider being one step closer to death as a tragedy, then it's in the wrong context. ;p

I appreciate the gesture, though.

vWtvN.png

Sadetar

I used to write articles for a Finnish based company. Way too many K's in that language =P

Not that the above is of any consequence to you, or you should care in any way. I'm just filling dead air here because I'm bored at work.
I feel you there darling. That sounds exactly like me when I am at work. ^__^

Oh and what comes to the language itself, I can assure you, that even if it actually have quite much K's in it, it can sounds extremely sexy and soft if it is spoken by right person. Not that you should care in any way, just as a sidenote.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hahah. Darling, what did you actually approve? The fact that it has been my favourite game, the notice that even I have been small and innocent once or actually the sad reality that I am neither small nor that innocent nowadays... or perhaps all of those? :p
Certainly all of the above.

I surely don't mind you asking, the answering part is a bit harder though. It totally depends how you define the term "bilingual". Finnish surely is my native language and both of my parents were and are Finnish. I haven't also never lived anywhere else but in Finland.

Still I need to add, that I have been in English kindergarten and I have spoke (at least some) English way before I could read or write. Also if I would just talk English with you, you wouldn't most likely even suspect I would be from Finland or even think that English wouldn't be my mother tongue. I have been told I have quite posh English accent (I can't really comment, I don't hear my own accent at all). Also when I switch from Finnish to English I automatically also change the language I am thinking in: When I speak Finnish, I surely think in Finnish too, but if I talk or write English, my thoughts are also in English so I don't really need to translate myself but only type or speak what is in my mind. For example if I need to use Swedish, I don't master the language well enough to do that.

And damn, I don't think you expected me to open up, at least not that long. Hahah. But yeah, I anyways don't consider myself bilingual, even if I can admit that I am quite fluent in English, but when I compare it to Finnish... Well, I am good, but I am far from perfect
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond :D I didn't expect you to, but I'm quite glad. As a linguist even details about language acquisition most would find mundane are fascinating to me, lame as that is to admit.

I'm happy with myself because I guessed correctly- you aren't natively bilingual in that you don't have native exposure to both your L1 (Finnish) and your L2 (English). But you are, in fact, bilingual by the definition of being highly proficient in two languages. So congratulations! You're obviously fluent in English; due to certain quirks in your writing style (plus your picture) I was going to ask if a Scandinavian language was your native tongue. Now I don't get the chance to impress you by being a language nerd. Oh well.

edit: I should add just to clarifying that of course native bilinguals (such as those raised in a household speaking two languages regularly) are said to have two L1s, rather than an L1 and L2. end of lesson

I am very well aware of the way how people usually use that expression. ;)
We are going to get along just fine.

.la1n

Alright guys gotta go get ready for my fat Tuesday excursion that has been forced upon me. I shall report in from time to time with photos. I am trying to devise a way to have fire involved the likes of which I have not achieved yet. I'm not going to be out real late so I should be in TC later tonight.

pyrocopy.jpg

Davedough

Alright guys gotta go get ready for my fat Tuesday excursion that has been forced upon me. I shall report in from time to time with photos. I am trying to devise a way to have fire involved the likes of which I have not achieved yet. I'm not going to be out real late so I should be in TC later tonight.

pyrocopy.jpg

This, I may stop by for.

With or without my shirt.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Eek! A discussion about language. This day is off to a great start :D
Your reading of the intro paragraph about string theory is still among the highlights of my past couple weeks.

I should really work on an aussie accent just so I can speak to myself in it when I need to calm down.

Sadetar

As a bisexual? I never hid that from anybody.

'Cept homophobes, of course.
You are bisexual? Why you then even bother and try to get a girl? Come on, kidnap yourself some nice lad and save some energy and nerves. Seriously. I like tits and asses too, but men are way easier and cheaper to maintain.

Davedough

Your reading of the intro paragraph about string theory is still among the highlights of my past couple weeks.

I should really work on an aussie accent just so I can speak to myself in it when I need to calm down.

I have a friend I've known for better part of 12 years who lives in Ireland. Just last week, we got into a conversation about string theory that lasted 3 hours, continuously, online. It was fantastic.

RawPower

Banned
You are bisexual? Why you then even bother and try to get a girl? Come on, kidnap yourself some nice lad and save some energy and nerves. Seriously. I like tits and asses too, but men are way easier and cheaper to maintain.

I fool around a bit with my buddies, but it doesn't go beyond that. Being gay/bi is not easy in my area.

What do you mean by cheaper to maintain?

Sadetar

I'm guessing the wine, dine and emotional structure that has to be built to keep some women happy.
we shouldn't forget birth control (if you are a lad), waxing, cosmetics, parfums, clothes, shoes, hair products... and so forth that she things you should also provide just because she does all that "just for you".

Plus of course all the drama that you need to bear too.

Just get yourself a lad and be happy.

RawPower

Banned
we shouldn't forget birth control (if you are a lad), waxing, cosmetics, parfums, clothes, shoes, hair products... and so forth that she things you should also provide just because she does all that "just for you".

Plus of course all the drama that you need to bear too.

Just get yourself a lad and be happy.

Well, not all girls are like that, are they?

Yeah I'd have to say the only thing that could possibly cause any offense would be my political / religious views but I think most people are pretty open minded.

I don't think they're going to be too off the norm amongst this group. I'm not bothering to link my profile, I think it's pretty easy to spot another RPGAFer when you see 3-5 of your new friends all added the same person in the news feed.

Sadetar

Certainly all of the above.
Hahah. I can also heartily agree with you. We are going to get along just fine. ;)

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond :D I didn't expect you to, but I'm quite glad. As a linguist even details about language acquisition most would find mundane are fascinating to me, lame as that is to admit.

I'm happy with myself because I guessed correctly- you aren't natively bilingual in that you don't have native exposure to both your L1 (Finnish) and your L2 (English). But you are, in fact, bilingual by the definition of being highly proficient in two languages. So congratulations! You're obviously fluent in English; due to certain quirks in your writing style (plus your picture) I was going to ask if a Scandinavian language was your native tongue. Now I don't get the chance to impress you by being a language nerd. Oh well.
No problem. I am always happy to use my valuable time to answer totally irrelevant and random questions. (And that wasn't even sarcastic, just the horrid truth.)

Lol. And darling, it is not at all lame to admit that you are fascinated by some things. It would be, if you ask me, extremely boring and also kind of sad, if not a single thing could make you feel the joy of learning and understaning.

Hahaha. Quite brilliant actually, that a nerdy linguist thinks that my English is obviously fluent. Also the fact that he seems to be generally quite disappointed when he is unable to impress me, is rather adorable.

Sadetar

But some poor (straight) guy out there might actually believe what you told me.
I know.

And to those poor souls I give awesome advices how to lure a girl in that Dating-age thread.

Edit: Why oh why I just didn't edit my previous post. Oh well, no can do. I am such a failure.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
None of us can be perfect. Double-posting is bad, but the shame of it will haunt you only for two, maybe three years, at most.

Sadetar

You know I was thinking it, my good man, you didn't have to make the plebs feel so very small.
Well aren't you a pater patriae.

None of us can be perfect. Double-posting is bad, but the shame of it will haunt you only for two, maybe three years, at most.
Ah, still good to hear it is only relatively short time period.

Perhaps I end up doing some adorable services to shorten my years of shame...

Davedough

I cannot tell a lie, I was born on the same day as my country. This confers certain degrees of excellence unto a person that are difficult to reproduce.

Strange. I would think sterile people wouldn't think of themselves excellent at all, given the social acceptance that it is expected of you to procreate, but ok sure.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Strange. I would think sterile people wouldn't think of themselves excellent at all, given the social acceptance that it is expected of you to procreate, but ok sure.
I think I see what you did there...

How's that going home working out for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom