• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

goonergaz

RandomVince said:
Until someone can post a screen that is damn near identical on both systems at the same time of day and with the same weather effects (since thats the main difference between the two) any comparison of that screen to the extent that has been undertaken so far is null and void.

True, however it's a million times better than comparing the previous shots! lol

G_Berry

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
It looks like that if not better (in motion). Hard to believe isn't?

Maybe it changes detail on the fly. GTA IV did that. For example when you were indoors it appeared much sharper however as soon as you left, let's say, Nico's apartment it looked as if a bit of detail was lost.

Could RDR be the same? In small towns and indoors it's sharper and more detailed and out in the world it's lower detailed?

It's too hard to debate with a few screens. We need Digital Foundry!!

Yagharek

goonergaz said:
True, however it's a million times better than comparing the previous shots! lol

Are you referring to the framebuffer ones that people are talking about? I seriously have little knowledge of this game having only come across it in the gametrailers review. Which looked quite alright.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
goonergaz said:
G_Berry - There is a subtle enough difference in the screen shots to know they are from different machines - look at the signs up close
What am I supposed to be seeing in the banners? They look the same. Both versions look the same. B3D has access to two different PS3 screens.

imv3o7.jpg

and
2q1yu1j.jpg

The textures look fine on both of them. Anyway, both versions look good. I doubt there will be any meltdown here.

Tom Penny

SolidSnakex said:
This was posted on B3D, it's apparently a cap of the PS3 version (and it's same location as the 360 shot that's often posted)

It's pretty obvious there is less stars in the sky and there isn't even AA on them.

SamBa

Banned
I find comparisons of mutli-platforms games like this funny.

There are usually bigger factors to decide which version to get if you own a PS3 as well as a 360 (if not the choice is simple), unless either version is seriously flawed which does not seem to be the case here. It's basically an identical experience game wise.

Factors like:
- PS3 running more silent / less noisy.
- Game provided on sturdy scratch resistant Blu-Ray disc.
- Free online gaming.

For me personally I greatly prefer the DS3 controller on the PS3.

DMeisterJ

Banned
PS3 GAF.

If you only own a PS3, you will not be disappointed graphically with this game, if you own a 360 too, you will not be disappointed graphically with this game. There are some jaggies, and motion blur, but it's still a damn enjoyable experience, and the graphical differences between them will not stop any enjoyment.

It's just like GTA IV redux

SamBa said:

There are usually bigger factors to decide which version to get if you own a PS3 as well as a 360 (if not the choice is simple), unless either version is seriously flawed which does not seem to be the case here. It's basically an identical experience game wise.

Factors like:
- Free online gaming.

For me personally I greatly prefer the DS3 constroller on the PS3.

Last year I played 80% on PS3 versus 20% on XBOX 360 cause of great game lineup and this year I will be 70% I assume on PS3. My 80 MGS4 YLOD-ed 2 weeks ago. I fixed that one and also got new slim. Both work fine now. 80 version was quite loud before fix. Now 2 PS3 are on par (all are very quiet) with my 1.5 year old jasper XBOX.

1. on XBOX you can Install once on HDD. no noise, quite and silent.
2. Install once play eternity, no worry about scratches.
3. Approx 2.8$ a MONTH ?! is this a really problem ?! :)

And maybe it's my IPS, moon phase or something else, but PSN works 10 times slower here than XBLA.

and yeah I play more on PS3 but personally BOX controller is more suitable for my big hands.

Dabanton

SamBa said:

Factors like:
- Free online gaming.

You sound like a salesman. :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
szaromir said:
No, obviously I'm talking about SamBa. I though everyone knew that.

Well, without a quote, things can get taken the wrong way, nevermind the fact that it followed my post.

I <3 Memes said:
That's a hell of a tag you got there. What the heck did you do to deserve that?

Be a dumbass I guess. It's something I wear with pride.

JAVK said:
Do people really have a problem with motion blur?

There was a whole thread dedicated to hating it so...

SamBa

Banned
Abnormalia said:

OK, but usually I read from XBox fans they don't like installs and those harddrives are pretty expensive. Here arcade units seem to be well more popular than those models with harddrives, so I think for different people there are different factors involved. That was my point.

manzo

SamBa said:

Factors like:
- Free online gaming.

Jeesus christ MikeB, get back to the SPU thread right now. Who the hell let you out of there anyway?

-viper- said:
looks pretty shit. no buy.

There is nothing wrong with the PS3 version. Just buy it for whichever console you have and prefer.

Feindflug

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Wrong.

There'll be more upscaling happening on your 1080p set, hence it wont look as clean/sharp as it would on a 720p set.

I've experienced this first hand with literally every title I won bar Virtua Tennis 3.

Every single game I own looks better on my 32" Bravia 1366 x 768 LCD over my 50" Full HD 800A Panasonic Plasma.

Having said that, this thread is pretty funny, and a couple of juniors have already exposed their agendas pretty early on in life.

I'm not sure if this is true since 360 at 1080p @ a Full HD set means less scaling:

360 set at 1080p @ FullHD set = 640p upscaled by the 360 at 1080p.
360 set at 720p @ HD Ready set = 640p upscaled by the 360 at 720p then upscaled by the TV at 768p.

More scalings means worse IQ...that's the reason sub-HD games like &#919;alo 3, MGS4, CoD and Conviction look better when upscaled at 1080p especially if there's also a 1:1 pixel mapping option available (Just scan e.t.c.).

BTW the PS3 version looks decent though 360 version is clearly the way to go if you want the best version...great IQ.

My 120GB HDD cost 47$ last year. I assume it's cheaper now.

I bought usual laptop HDD and applied correct firmware. works like charm since that :)

without HDD install yeah it gonna be loud and bit slow as well.

I played MP free roam tonight with my brother for around 5 hours. Stopped at least 3 or 4 times an hour in awe at an amazing vista, sunsets, stars etc. I ran into no framerate issues, no screen tearing. The only pop ins or whatever I noticed were few and far between, and it was usually just a small bush. My brothers PS3 slim froze once. The game looks amazing, runs amazing. Also, voice chat works perfectly in my experience online. I hope the 360 version is just as good, if not better. Everyone should get to enjoy this game.

Kinan said:
Thats not true. Plenty of modern TVs support Full RGB range.

Not that many, really. TV's are designed with TV specifications in mind.

If you are worrying about the image quality of the world, you are better off saying that all TV owners should have Full RGB off, and all those using monitors should have it on. You will likley have more people with the wrong settings if you tell people plenty of HDTV's are made for Full RGB, because most people will think they're special and switch to it.

Enabling full RGB will crush your blacks. Some people think it looks better because it hides flaws and makes games look like screenshots. It can make colors seemingly 'pop' more, but you'd be wrong to think things are displaying correctly.

mujun

SamBa said:

Factors like:
- Free online gaming.

You find comparisons funny but then add some things seemingly at random to make a totally lopsided argument. Great logic!

Facism

if it's not been discussed yet (outside of my hatred for gamespy), has anyone played this online on ps3 yet and how was it?

Class_A_Ninja said:

If you are worrying about the image quality of the world, you are better off saying that all TV owners should have Full RGB off, and all those using monitors should have it on. You will likley have more people with the wrong settings if you tell people plenty of HDTV's are made for Full RGB, because most people will think they're special and switch to it.

Enabling full RGB will crush your blacks. Some people think it looks better because it hides flaws and makes games look like screenshots. It can make colors seemingly 'pop' more, but you'd be wrong to think things are displaying correctly.
you'd think at some point the console manufacturers would realize that people aren't using optimal settings for their TV and would include a color calibration tool...

I'm just glad my TV has a built in isf calibrator. When my friends were over after I got my TV they kept commenting on how amazing the HD feed looked in comparison to on other HDTVs they've seen.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Class_A_Ninja said:

There are very few TV's that support Full RGB, Sony's X Range (in the Uk at least) Support this, and when used increase colour ranges without effecting brightness, as FULL RGB doesn't when tv's aren't compatible, but gives what appears to be a better contrast.

I prefer FULL RGB set to on though for most games with my TV's Brightness increased slightly.

Joe White

SamBa said:
There are usually bigger factors to decide which version to get if you own a PS3 as well as a 360, unless either version is seriously flawed which does not seem to be the case here. It's basically an identical experience game wise.

Factors like:
- Free online gaming.
- <Controller>

I usually find these comparisons informative and quite useful.

And after reading this thread I've decided to get 360 version, because it seems to look better, run smoother and load faster (and has my friends playing online). But I have never consider those things that are mention in that post as factors when deciding which version to get (except that last part about controller, where I prefer Xbox controller).

-viper-

Banned
manzo said:
Jeesus christ MikeB, get back to the SPU thread right now. Who the hell let you out of there anyway?

There is nothing wrong with the PS3 version. Just buy it for whichever console you have and prefer.
those pictures look horrendous.

goonergaz

Abnormalia said:
Last year I played 80% on PS3 versus 20% on XBOX 360 cause of great game lineup and this year I will be 70% I assume on PS3. My 80 MGS4 YLOD-ed 2 weeks ago. I fixed that one and also got new slim. Both work fine now. 80 version was quite loud before fix. Now 2 PS3 are on par (all are very quiet) with my 1.5 year old jasper XBOX.

And maybe it's my IPS, moon phase or something else, but PSN works 10 times slower here than XBLA.

and yeah I play more on PS3 but personally BOX controller is more suitable for my big hands.

1) silent? LMAO
2) you still need to load the disk up each time...that's where the scratches happen
3) yes, when you have several kids who play online and each would require an account

Wazzim

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
I don't understand this.

Xbox 360 version worse = Ps3 obvious superior hardware.

Xbox 360 better = Devs are lazy. Even in such an ambitious and epic scale production as RDR, which has the best open world graphics ever.
You can't even understand that?
Ever been on N4G?:lol

It's just that Sony is really good in hyping it's specs, few gamers knew/cared that the PS2 was alot weaker than the original Xbox. It's alot different now though.

oh i see we are long past discussion of the topic and have entered into full blown system wars. sweet!

this thread is so hot that it even garnered the attention of mikeb. :lol

surly

Banned
goonergaz said:
1) silent? LMAO
2) you still need to load the disk up each time...that's where the scratches happen
3) yes, when you have several kids who play online and each would require an account
I'll take half the loading times, a better framerate and higher resolution over a "scratch proof Blu-Ray disc" and having to pay 50p a week for Live (which I do anyway). Neither of my 360s have ever scratched discs just by playing games. If you have kids, they shouldn't be playing an 18 rated game like this anyway.

Top Bottom