• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

Dabanton

goonergaz said:
1) silent? LMAO
2) you still need to load the disk up each time...that's where the scratches happen
3) yes, when you have several kids who play online and each would require an account

Once the game is installed on the 360 all it needs is the game in tray so where are the scratches coming from?

And yes it's pretty much silent about on par with my PS3 slim.

And several kids each needing an account? i don't know where to begin with that one. :lol

Wazzim

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
oh i see we are long past discussion of the topic and have entered into full blown system wars. sweet!

this thread is so hot that it even garnered the attention of mikeb. :lol
Suprised?

Fucking consoles. I should've just waited for the PC version.

On one hand you get a jaggy low-res mess, on the other you have to pay Microsoft their extortion money to play online.

Dabanton

WickedLaharl said:
oh i see we are long past discussion of the topic and have entered into full blown system wars. sweet!

this thread is so hot that it even garnered the attention of mikeb. :lol

It's the sort of thread that is great to read but sometimes you just can't help yourself when you see some massive piece of FUD and have to post. :lol

FrankT

WickedLaharl said:
quaz51 says it's 640p. that's acceptable, right?

Ah, well that ends that then. Now we know.

Oh wait he is still doing guesswork. Well continue on then. :lol

Edit: Guess everyone here will have to wait for the weekend DF analysis heh.

Confidence Man said:

On one hand you get a jaggy low-res mess, on the other you have to pay Microsoft their extortion money to play online.
Eh. Its a premium online service. If PSN was at feature parity maybe I'd agree with you but at this point it ain't.

Goldrusher

WickedLaharl said:
quaz51 says it's 640p. that's acceptable, right?
1152x640 ?

Or something else ? 640p isn't a defined standard. MCLA wasn't 720p either, even though it was 720 pixels vertical.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
CozMick said:
It's an assumption, not fact

But that resolution sounds (and looks) alot better than 540p

It's the same guy who broke Halo 3, GTA IV PS3, FFXIII 360 and Alan Wake.

It's pretty factual.

CozMick

Banned
Goldrusher said:
1152x640 ?

Or something else ? 640p isn't a defined standard. MCLA wasn't 720p either, even though it was 720 pixels vertical.

quaz51 said:
GTA4 (and probably RDR) is little more than 640p, it's 1152x640 (644p equivalent :) )

He's assuming it's the same as GTAIV, it ain't fact just yet :p

Tom Penny

Confidence Man said:

How do you figure. GTA IV looked fine on consoles in comparison to the PC versions.

goonergaz

surly said:
I'll take half the loading times, a better framerate and higher resolution over a "scratch proof Blu-Ray disc" and having to pay 50p a week for Live (which I do anyway). Neither of my 360s have ever scratched discs just by playing games. If you have kids, they shouldn't be playing an 18 rated game like this anyway.

well I'd like confirmation on those 'advantages' first.

WRT live, they aren't - I'm talking about all games in general, If we went down the MS route we'd need lots of accounts, hence we are on the Sony freeway

CozMick

Banned
chandoog said:

It's pretty factual.

Oh, don't get me wrong, if there was anyone to believe it's this guy.

Just wanted to point out what he said. :D

goonergaz

Dabanton said:
Once the game is installed on the 360 all it needs is the game in tray so where are the scratches coming from?

And yes it's pretty much silent about on par with my PS3 slim.

And several kids each needing an account? i don't know where to begin with that one. :lol

erm from case to console maybe? where 99% of scratches ocour...

pretty much silent vs the original machines maybe

WRT live I don't see how I'd get by the live issue with family - unless I want my kids friends and them screwing up my game saves...I'd be happy to hear a work-around tho

FrankT

WickedLaharl said:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1431584&postcount=974

you guys can try and split hairs and doubt him if ya want but quaz is king at this shit.

Yea, I don't really doubt the man it just seems he hasn't done the whole counting pixel thing just yet for it. Seems more like GTA was this and RDR likely is as well kind of thing.

GreekWolf said:
He's certain on the vertical, but assuming the horizontal is similar to GTA4's.

The vertical is within a few pixels of 640p, any way you slice it. Why are we arguing about this again? :lol

Oh he is certain on the vertical. Well didn't know that then. Just estimating on the horizontal then. Yea splitting hairs then.

CVG is quick to draw heh;

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=247104

GreekWolf

CozMick said:
He's assuming it's the same as GTAIV, it ain't fact just yet :p

The vertical is within a few pixels of 640p, any way you slice it. Why are we arguing about this again? :lol

adamsapple

goonergaz said:

That's like saying how a T-Rex can possibly maul a PS3 blu ray before someone gets a chance to insert it into their PS3's, the blu ray's are fucking weak :lol

CozMick

Banned
GreekWolf said:

I'm actually glad the resolution is as high as it is tbh..

Talks of 540p were worrying as it looks like ass on my tv.

Oh and, It's 4p god damn you,!!!!!!!! 644p is where it's at :lol

goonergaz said:

pretty much silent vs the original machines maybe

WRT live I don't see how I'd get by the live issue with family - unless I want my kids friends and them screwing up my game saves...I'd be happy to hear a work-around tho

Or from postman to doormatt, i cant count how many dvd movies and games i have sent to me come off the spindel and scratched to all hell. Ive had one bluray like this and no marks.

CozMick

Banned
szaromir said:
How the hell 640p is ok in RDR but recently ODST was bashed to no end for the exact same resolution?

Because ODST was built from the ground up for 360 and RDR PS3 is a port?

That's just a guess as I don't do "fanboy" :D

goonergaz

supermackem said:
Or from postman to doormatt, i cant count how many dvd movies and games i have sent to me come off the spindel and scratched to all hell. Ive had one bluray like this and no marks.

don't get me started...my mass effect 2 was completely shattered at one corner :mad:

adamsapple

CozMick said:
Because ODST was built from the ground up for 360 and RDR PS3 is a port?

That's just a guess as I don't do "fanboy" :D

You also don't do "right" either :p

ODST was built on halo 3's assets and RDR had two separate dev teams for both consoles.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
WHOAguitarninja said:
Game development is a war against entropy, as John Carmack once put it, and it seems to me that open world games just exacerbate that problem 10 fold.
IMO large-teams with large-monolithic codebases are the more common culprit actually. Open World just makes it harder to hide things with design-polish.

FrankT

enkeixpress said:
... Are you insane?

There's no way in hell a Xbox 360 is more quiet than a PS3 slim.. Hell no.

Don't you have bigger fish to fry like impersonating a Rockstar employee and spreading FUD. Seriously dude your shtick has run it's course.

DeadGzuz

Banned
chandoog said:
You also don't do "right" either :p

ODST was built on halo 3's assets and RDR had two separate dev teams for both consoles.

Yet it's the same engine running the same performance as GTA4. I don't think they have any dev teams.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
PoweredBySoy said:
My slim, once the fans his 'phase 3', is pretty fucking whiny. Hell yes.

Your slim hits Phase 3?, I leave my Slim on for days at a time and I honestly have to put my ear to the system to hear it, and that's in a dusty room, I'd say there's something wrong with your Slim's cooling mate if that's the case, my 360's PSU is louder than my Slim.

surly

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Your slim hits Phase 3?, I leave my Slim on for days at a time and I honestly have to put my ear to the system to hear it, and that's in a dusty room, I'd say there's something wrong with your Slim's cooling mate if that's the case, my 360's PSU is louder than my Slim.
The fan noise of the Slims seems to vary from console to console. There's a large thread about it on AV Forums, where some people have got "silent" ones and others have gone through several Slims with whiny fans before getting one they're happy with.

My 80 (now 500) GB PS3 is not silent, but the fans are considerably quieter than the fans in either of my 360s.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
PoweredBySoy said:
My slim, once the fans his 'phase 3', is pretty fucking whiny. Hell yes.
This is the RedDead compare thread, let's keep console war shit like this out. Who gives a shit when the games on and you're having the time of your life.

surly said:
The fan noise of the Slims seems to vary from console to console. There's a large thread about it on AV Forums, where some people have got "silent" ones and others have gone through several Slims with whiny fans before getting one they're happy with.

My 80 (now 500) GB PS3 is not silent, but the fans are considerably quieter than the fans in either of my 360s.

To be fair, I have my slim in an enclosed entertainment center, and then yes, it hit's 'phase 3'. Or 4, I really don't count how many fan levels there are - but the final level is quite loud. In the PS3's defense though, once I open the glass cabinet door the fans will settle down after a couple minutes - which is nice.

SamBa

Banned
EagleEyes said:
How would you explain MGS4? :p

What's wrong with MGS4? That they opted for 768p (1024x768)? That's the native resolution of older CRT HDTVs and many currently sold Plasma based HDTVs. Probably quite common in Japan.

Dude Abides

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
This is the RedDead compare thread, let's keep console war shit like this out. Who gives a shit when the games on and you're having the time of your life.

Unfortunately the fucktard juniors have done their damage and the thread cannot be salvaged.

But if it keeps them out of the official thread, it was a necessary and noble sacrifice.

mintylurb

chandoog said:

It's pretty factual.
But that never prevented some folks from doubting him when he confirmed that AW is sub-hd...

Now that Quaz and Mazingerdude both say the ps3 version is sub-hd, folks can finally move on..until Rockstar SD states that modern renderers don't work by rendering everything to a certain final on-screen resolution..or some wannabe pixel counter makes a post claiming RDR ps3 is really 720P ..:lol

All kidding aside, it would be nice if Rockstar SD could discuss how RDR was built, what sort of compromises they had to make to get it running on the 360/PS3, etc.

surly

Banned
Dude Abides said:
Unfortunately the fucktard juniors have done their damage and the thread cannot be salvaged.

But if it keeps them out of the official thread, it was a necessary and noble sacrifice.
I hope that I get enough posts soon so that the "Junior" part of my member title disappears, then I too can look down my nose at people with fewer posts than me and call them fucktards.

I think some of the other "Juniors" make a fair point. I was going to get the 360 version for the higher res, faster loading times and better framerate, but now I'm worried that my postman might decide to stamp all over my 360 disc and scratch it to shit, so I might just have to get the PS3 version instead as that's postman-proof, plus I'm not sure I can get the disc from the case to the disc tray without dropping it into a pile of barbed wire and broken glass, so a scratch resistant Blu-Ray is possibly the way to go.

Yoboman

SamBa said:
What's wrong with MGS4? That they opted for 768p (1024x768)? That's the native resolution of older CRT HDTVs and many currently sold Plasma based HDTVs. Probably quite common in Japan.
:lol

goonergaz

well unfortunately when deciding which version to get you inevitably consider the actual hardware...and when you do that you consider each of their pros and cons, sorry about that.

Back OT the differences are minimal from what I've seen, it seems both engines have been improved by a similar amount meaning there is still a difference that the majority of people wouldn't notice when playing.

lowrider007 said:

Ive never heard my slim go above normal never mind phase three thats after hours and hours play and i sit more or less on top of it.

goonergaz

surly said:
I hope that I get enough posts soon so that the "Junior" part of my member title disappears, then I too can look down my nose at people with fewer posts than me and call them fucktards.

I think some of the other "Juniors" make a fair point. I was going to get the 360 version for the higher res, faster loading times and better framerate, but now I'm worried that my postman might decide to stamp all over my 360 disc and scratch it to shit, so I might just have to get the PS3 version instead as that's postman-proof, plus I'm not sure I can get the disc from the case to the disc tray without dropping it into a pile of barbed wire and broken glass, so a scratch resistant Blu-Ray is possibly the way to go.

lol, FTR I never said any of that, I didn't even say that BR>DVD for scratches - all I said was that even with the game installed on X360 (which was used as a way to avoide the scratches potential) you still use the disk the same amount from case to console (which is when scratches are most likely to happen).

personally I think there's no difference on the scratches front, altho I should add that on a game like ME2 there's double the chance of scratches :p

Top Bottom