• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

sdornan

PlayStation 3-only owners who choose to "wait for the 360 Slim" or cancel their order are ridiculous. Clearly, you must have been looking for an excuse not to buy the game in the first place.

You're depriving yourself of hours and hours of quality entertainment because there's less grass on the screen when compared to a version of the game on a console you don't even own. If you really wanted to play a game on the PC, would you decide not to play it because you had to play with a few graphical settings on medium instead of high?

Just buy the version for whatever console you own and enjoy it.

acm2000

Lince said:
I'm sure the PS3 GPU was downgraded at the relatively last minute as a desperate measure to cut costs, it doesn't make sense to pair the Cell CPU with such an ordinary GPU at that time (128 bit bus... ugh). Anyway, as a multi-platform user I don't really care that much and these threads are welcome for helping me spending my money on the better version. Bring X720 - PS4 already! 4 GB RAM + 1GB VRAM will make a huge difference. Current engines will show immediate awesome graphics just by adding extra texture resolution, better framerate, crazy post-processing and IQ enhancements.

wrong, if i remember right, there was NO gpu at all in the ps3 originally, it was going to be dual cell, imagine how bad multi plat wouldve been then! in the end sony saw sense, ditched a cell (for sanity and cost reasons) and approached nvidia, and i assume, this gpu is all they could budget, and shoe horned it into the ps3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Did you guys seriously think the ps3 version wasn't gonna be liquid poo? I went 360 straight away based on RAGE history.

Single console owners have no choice anyway, so I think canceling preorders because of Quincux aa is severe.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
pr0cs said:
Doesn't really make sense. If you only have a PS3 you'd rather not play an awesome game because it runs better on the other platform?
Wow that is taking the console wars to a new level, someone set us up the bomb.

Did you even read his post?

He was precisely making the point that it shouldn't deter you from buying the game.

The amount of goading and expectation in these kinds of threads for someone to say something stupid or to have 'a meltdown' has gotten to a very pathetic point, a point where it is even more annoying that the stupidity and the meltdowns themselves.

wotter

acm2000 said:
wrong, if i remember right, there was NO gpu at all in the ps3 originally, it was going to be dual cell, imagine how bad multi plat wouldve been then! in the end sony saw sense, ditched a cell (for sanity and cost reasons) and approached nvidia, and i assume, this gpu is all they could budget, and shoe horned it into the ps3.
Are people still believing this? The dual cell thingie was just an idea, just like many others (like a toshiba gpu I read somewhere). Rsx wasn't just a last minute solution.

mintylurb

Y2Kev said:
Did you guys seriously think the ps3 version wasn't gonna be liquid poo? I went 360 straight away.

Single console owners have no choice anyway.
Hey Y2! We should play together along with jtyettis!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Y2Kev said:
Really? This is a statement of epic magnitude. You're to gaming what Plato was to politics.

I thought this was a comparison thread. Not a "I don't see why anyone would compare the platforms"-thread.

You guys might believe the people with the screenshots and the analysis shitted up the thread, but you are wrong. They did what's on-topic here. Everyone else with their cheap jokes about foilage and "Why compare? Don't be a square" should just talk about the game content in the appropriate thread.

mujun said:
Others are talking conspiracy theories about how all this talk in this thread is "payback" for UC2 looking so good.

You call it conspiracy theories I call it garden variety fanboyism. I didn't say ALL the talk in this thread was about that. I'm just saying that just like PS3 owners pile on and annoyingly trot out UC2 in too many threads, people go way overboard and make stuff up sometimes about multi console ports. Don't need a tin-foil hat for that reasonable assertion.

edit: although in this case the 360 is clearly better.

Jim

Y2Kev said:
Did you guys seriously think the ps3 version wasn't gonna be liquid poo? I went 360 straight away.

It seriously doesn't. Having played every 360 and PS3 version of GTAIV + expansions and now RDR, I think the PS3 version looks quite good still. It's certainly not blurry like the original GTAIV, it's crisp in comparison (more like BoGT), and the framerate is way better.

I end up keeping the PS3 version. It's not that dramatic at all. But continue.

JRW

Esteban said:
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=ht...rName=hanmik

Not a big difference in motion at all... "Liquid poo" looks exaggerated.
whatthefuck.gif

Verapamil

Banned
Wow. This thread is still going. I figured it would die out overnight since everyone could just go out and buy two copies and see for themselves.

lherre

Accurate
Lince said:
I'm sure the PS3 GPU was downgraded at the relatively last minute as a desperate measure to cut costs, it doesn't make sense to pair the Cell CPU with such an ordinary GPU at that time (128 bit bus... ugh). Anyway, as a multi-platform user I don't really care that much and these threads are welcome for helping me spending my money on the better version. Bring X720 - PS4 already! 4 GB RAM + 1GB VRAM will make a huge difference. Current engines will show immediate awesome graphics just by adding extra texture resolution, better framerate, crazy post-processing and IQ enhancements.

The only downgrade that RSX has was a cut in speed.

In the official specs RSX is shown as 550 Mhz but the RSX really runs at 500 Mhz.

Not other changes are made before launch in the rsx side (you know that 3 ethernets, dual hdmi output, etc, etc).

NewBrof

Verapamil said:
Wow. This thread is still going. I figured it would die out overnight since everyone could just go out and buy two copies and see for themselves.

or why not 10 copies, just to make sure? I am waiting for the DigitalFoundry comparison...

I think Rockstar should get as much shit as possible for this port. If not, there will be an epic identical thread for GTAV by the time of release, with the same symptoms beforehand (no ps3 media, stupid rumors, etc.).

Every R* PS3 release has been sub hd and this is solely the fault of the PS3 hardware? I doubt it...

mujun said:
Yep.

Some of them are going on and on about how bad the PS3 version of the game is compared to the 360 one despite everyone already understanding perfectly.

Others are talking conspiracy theories about how all this talk in this thread is "payback" for UC2 looking so good.

Right?

Or do you only see it from one side.

I actually tried to make some of the fanboys on GAF a little less pathetic. But analyzing bullshit still makes it bullshit, so it's pretty useless :lol

scoobs said:
lol this is one of the funniest threads ever.. i miss the old days on gaf where there wasn't blatant system wars goin down. I honestly can barely see any differences in any of those pictures, the 360 is a little sharper... but honestly?? that ps3 pic looks pathetic compared to the 360 one? lol alrighty apparently i'm in the minority here, i seriously am not seeing a big difference.

this post is the most logical post in the entire thread.

Hanmik

I realy cannot believe that no one has posted more PS3 vs X360 pictures ..? We had MazingerDUDE´s pictures and that´s about it.. there has to be more out there ..

uraldix

Hanmik said:
I realy cannot believe that no one has posted more PS3 vs X360 pictures ..? We had MazingerDUDE´s pictures and that´s about it.. there has to be more out there ..

People are probably busy playing the game.

BeeDog

Hanmik said:

Why the hell would you need even more pics? The case's closed.

Artex

Banned
Kos Luftar said:
Ok, so I only own a PS3 should I still get this game? Is the game good?

Absolutely...the differences are minimal when you see it in motion. I saw both on my own TV and can only laugh at this thread. The claims of the foliage difference are really comical, I notice no such difference personally. Do yourself a favor and stay out of these threads on GAF, they just nitpick everything to death so one can be claimed superior to the other.

Instead of these threads, listen to the people who simply sat down and played both, and walked away saying they didn't notice a difference.

schennmu said:
Every R* PS3 release has been sub hd and this is solely the fault of the PS3 hardware? I doubt it...
l

So what's the reason then? We have a few choices:

1) They're "lazy" or simply don't care as much about the PS3 version.
2) They have a secret deal with MS to make the 360 version better and do it on purpose.
3) They don't have the time or technical expertise to take advantage of the PS3 hardware, which is said to be more difficult to develop for on multi console games.

I'd say it's number 3, which means it actually is the the fault of the PS3 hardware to some extent. I could imagine Rockstar working hard to make each version identical, they just couldn't do it. Some developers can like with Just Cause 2. Why would they want to release a slightly subpar looking game?

Teknoman

Artex said:
Absolutely...the differences are minimal when you see it in motion. I saw both on my own TV and can only laugh at this thread. The claims of the foliage difference are really comical, I notice no such difference personally. Do yourself a favor and stay out of these threads on GAF, they just nitpick everything to death so one can be claimed superior to the other.

Instead of these threads, listen to the people who simply sat down and played both, and walked away saying they didn't notice a difference.

Pretty much this. Theres a reason people arent complaining left and right in the official topic.

BeeDog

The-Warning said:
So what's the reason then? We have a few choices:

1) They're "lazy" or simply don't care as much about the PS3 version.
2) They have a secret deal with MS to make the 360 version better and do it on purpose.
3) They don't have the time or technical expertise to take advantage of the PS3 hardware, which is said to be more difficult to develop for on multi console games.

I'd say it's number 3, which means it actually is the the fault of the PS3 hardware to some extent. I could imagine Rockstar working hard to make each version identical, they just couldn't do it. Some developers can like with Just Cause 2. Why would they want to release a slightly subpar looking game?

4) They know that no one outside of forum-dwellers on the Internet will give a fuck about the differences or even notice, hence saving money by letting it slide.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
BeeDog said:
4) They know that no one outside of forum-dwellers on the Internet will give a fuck about the differences or even notice, hence saving money by letting it slide.

Bingo !

You beat me to it.

Tom Penny

What a funny thread :lol I bet Rockstar is crying themselves to sleep. They are about to lose less than half of 1 percent of the PS3 sales at most due to this travesty of a port.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
bandresen said:
Really? This is a statement of epic magnitude. You're to gaming what Plato was to politics.

I thought this was a comparison thread. Not a "I don't see why anyone would compare the platforms"-thread.

You guys might believe the people with the screenshots and the analysis shitted up the thread, but you are wrong. They did what's on-topic here. Everyone else with their cheap jokes about foilage and "Why compare? Don't be a square" should just talk about the game content in the appropriate thread.
No, I understand why the comparison is being made and I like these threads. I'm not one to say comparisons are annoying and useless. I quite like technical dissections by Quaz and Mazinger and DF. Buuuuut I maintain that my surprise at the reaction. This is the latest in a series of poor RAGE ports, the latest of which was released a month ago.

The last comment was in regards to people having a fit about quincunx AA.

edit: Okay, it's not liquid poo. You can't have any fun with some of you guys ;)

Frankly, you could have me and my thespianisms or you could have the "subtle trolling" of the not-so-bright GAF console warrior brigade. Pick me. Choose me. Love me. OH PS3 GAF LIKES IT CAUSE ITS SOFTER AND PIXELS HURT THEIR EYES RITE GUYS RITE AM I RITE I MEAN REMEMBER ALAN WAKE RITE

NHale

BeeDog said:

Because we need more pictures showing the huge difference between the "best looking game ever" version and the "worst port ever" version, and laugh at those who have to play the game with less foliage.

mintylurb

Y2Kev said:
No, I understand why the comparison is being made and I like these threads. I'm not one to say comparisons are annoying and useless. I quite like technical dissections by Quaz and Mazinger and DF. Buuuuut I maintain that my surprise at the reaction. This is the latest in a series of poor RAGE ports, the latest of which was released a month ago.

edit: Okay, it's not liquid poo. You can't have any fun with some of you guys ;)

Frankly, you could have me and my thespianisms or you could have the "subtle trolling" of the not-so-bright GAF console warrior brigade. Pick me. Choose me. Love me. OH PS3 GAF LIKES IT CAUSE ITS SOFTER AND PIXELS HURT THEIR EYES RITE GUYS RITE AM I RITE I MEAN REMEMBER ALAN WAKE RITE
Such an awful troll..! :lol

Hanmik

BeeDog said:

hmmm...

Apollo said:
why in those comparison pics is the time of day and clouds are the same? Makes me think those pics were edited.

are we not allowed to see others comparison pictures..? does a piece of paper have two sides..?

BeeDog

Y2Kev said:

:lol :lol :lol

LosDaddie

Banned
BeeDog said:

It's even more funny when you realize the correct answer should've been clear all along.

Apollo

Banned
All I'm going to say is those pics are fucking edited. No reason for the clouds to look the same or even be at the same time of day. This is coming from a guy that has the 360 version.

jjasper

NewBrof said:
or why not 10 copies, just to make sure? I am waiting for the DigitalFoundry comparison...

Hopefully they do a better job with this one than their terrible FFXIII comparison.

Also I must be getting older cause outside of the foliage differences I didn't really see anything that different in the pictures (of course framerate is not shown in picture form)

Top Bottom