• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

Apollo

Banned
The-Warning said:
I'm going to give you my tin-foil hat I don't need mine anymore :p

well it's true because the clouds are not static in the game nor is the time and day. Which is all the same in those pictures. It's a shame fanboys will go so low just to make their console of choice look better.

goonergaz

The-Warning said:
I'm going to give you my tin-foil hat I don't need mine anymore :p

it's a fair point tho...very odd that the clouds are identical...however, I just noticed one of the horses in the X360 shot doesn't have a shadow!

butts

I'm enjoying my PS3 version so far. I dunno. The graphics are really uneven so far but I highly doubt those uneven parts are somehow magically better on the 360.

If I had wanted the best graphics I would have just waited for the (hopefully) inevitable PC release.

coopolon

Apollo said:
All I'm going to say is those pics are fucking edited. No reason for the clouds to look the same or even be at the same time of day. This is coming from a guy that has the 360 version.

Uhhh...those comparison pics are taken from the opening sequence (like the opening movie) + the very first thing you do once the sequence is complete.

Assuming both 360 and PS3 start gamers at the same time of day, everything would be identical up a little bit later after those comparison pics are taken.

Y2Kev said:
edit: Okay, it's not liquid poo. You can't have any fun with some of you guys ;)

Frankly, you could have me and my thespianisms or you could have the "subtle trolling" of the not-so-bright GAF console warrior brigade. Pick me. Choose me. Love me. OH PS3 GAF LIKES IT CAUSE ITS SOFTER AND PIXELS HURT THEIR EYES RITE GUYS RITE AM I RITE I MEAN REMEMBER ALAN WAKE RITE

Once again people bringing up Alan Wake are overlooking some differences.

Remedy claimed they were doing 720p x4msaa, openly inviting comparisons to the best graphics this generation has to offfer. Final game code turned out to be 960x540 with tearing. 540p is around 1/2 the pixels of 720p. According to one tech site, older builds were running 720p.

RDR turned out like their other games, sub-hd on PS3. Specifically 640p. 640p is only about 80% of the pixels of 720p. But given the past, it was not a surprising outcome. There is no doubt RDR looks better on X360.

Considering it was an exclusive game, and how linear it turned out to be, Alan Wake's 540p was a little more noteworthy.

Apollo

Banned
coopolon said:
Uhhh...those comparison pics are taken from the opening sequence (like the opening movie) + the very first thing you do once the sequence is complete.

Assuming both 360 and PS3 start gamers at the same time of day, everything would be identical up a little bit later after those comparison pics are taken.

No only some of those are opening sequence. No way in hell should the clouds be 1:1 identical. The pics are edited.

Apollo

Banned
JRW said:
lol are you being serious right now.

I'm dead serious...When did the game get a static weather system? that's right it never did. Anyone that played the game and has a brain will see the clouds shouldn't be the same in those screen shots.

Tom Penny

Death Dealer said:
Once again people bringing up Alan Wake are overlooking some differences.

Remedy claimed they were doing 720p x4msaa, openly inviting comparisons to the best graphics this generation has to offfer. Final game code turned out to be 960x540 with tearing. 540p is around 1/2 the pixels of 720p. According to one tech site, older builds were running 720p.

RDR turned out like their other games, sub-hd on PS3. Specifically 640p. 640p is only about 80% of the pixels of 720p. But given the past, it was not a surprising outcome. There is no doubt RDR looks better on X360.

Considering it was an exclusive game, and how linear it turned out to be, Alan Wake's 540p was a little more noteworthy.

It's sad that the crappy PS3 multi platform sub HD port looks better than the exclusive sub HD game.

JRW

Apollo said:
I'm dead serious...When did the game get a static weather system? that's right it never did. Anyone that played the game and has a brain will see the clouds shouldn't be the same in those screen shots.

Well you're wrong. Those pics are legit, my god the clouds aren't even 100% identical between shots. Look again. subtle differences.

coopolon

Apollo said:

Every one of those screen shots is either from the opening sequence, or the first two missions of the game I believe. If you just go straight through, it makes sense to me that the environments/time of day would be the same.

Apollo said:
why in those comparison pics is the time of day and clouds are the same? Makes me think those pics were edited.
I was thinking the same thing, and now with the content aware function in cs5 ediiting this would be really easy. Still Ill play the game later an confirm.

JRW

SixStringPsycho said:
I was thinking the same thing, and now with the content aware function in cs5 ediiting this would be really easy. Still Ill play the game later an confirm.

What about the differences in the amount of foliage in the shots?

Those are 100% legit pics.

You guys are to much :lol

Ranger X

Thing is that 99,9% of mortals would need both versions side to side to notice any difference. Since this won't happen in 99,9% of households out there, it's a quite a total non-issue, it only creates stupid threads on the internet.

sdornan said:
PlayStation 3-only owners who choose to "wait for the 360 Slim" or cancel their order are ridiculous. Clearly, you must have been looking for an excuse not to buy the game in the first place.

You're depriving yourself of hours and hours of quality entertainment because there's less grass on the screen when compared to a version of the game on a console you don't even own. If you really wanted to play a game on the PC, would you decide not to play it because you had to play with a few graphical settings on medium instead of high?

Just buy the version for whatever console you own and enjoy it.

Let them do what they want. If they wait then they're still going to end up playing the game anyway, so it's not really deprivation...it's more postponement. In the end they're going to be playing a very slightly improved version of the game that they bought at a lower price...if they feel that it's worth the wait then let them do what they want.

You really don't need to tell people what version to buy and when to buy it. There isn't a PS3 or 360 version sales quota that needs to be filled.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to play this and will undoubtedly pick it up soon, but my refusal to pay for Xbox Live means I won't be able to play online if I pick up the better performing 360 version. Then again, I have no idea if I would play much of the online anyway.

Has Rockstar talked any more about a possible PC version? I wish I could just grab it on Steam or something and not have to worry about all of this low performance / resolution and pay-to-play online bullshit.

The-Warning said:
So what's the reason then? We have a few choices:

1) They're "lazy" or simply don't care as much about the PS3 version.
2) They have a secret deal with MS to make the 360 version better and do it on purpose.
3) They don't have the time or technical expertise to take advantage of the PS3 hardware, which is said to be more difficult to develop for on multi console games.

I'd say it's number 3, which means it actually is the the fault of the PS3 hardware to some extent. I could imagine Rockstar working hard to make each version identical, they just couldn't do it. Some developers can like with Just Cause 2. Why would they want to release a slightly subpar looking game?

It's a mix of 1) and 3). They made an engine not suitable for multiplatform development which is too expensive to improve now. (Expect another horrible PC version as well). The Just Cause 2 engine is just a much more polished experience (Made by a much smaller dev).

Tom Penny said:
It's sad that the crappy PS3 multi platform sub HD port looks better than the exclusive sub HD game.

I doubt it. Not comparable anyway.

Y2Kev said:
OH PS3 GAF LIKES IT CAUSE ITS SOFTER AND PIXELS HURT THEIR EYES RITE GUYS RITE AM I RITE I MEAN REMEMBER ALAN WAKE RITE

One guy has pulled that shit like three times in this thread :lol

Barrett2

PS3 version is more historically accurate; it perfectly replicates Marsden's cataracts, of which many people were afflicted in 1911.

im mad i bought the ps3 version, i bought it cuz i thought id like the controls better, playing the 360 version now, its just better, i noticed the sub hd on my 40 inch 1080p sammy, and the framerate is worse than dragon age on ps3. Imma bout to buy it for the 360 man.

Klocker

gofreak said:
I didn't intend for it to sound that way. I think 'excuse' was the wrong word to use.

I understand developers have lots of priorities pulling them in many different directions, so I'm not playing some blame-game or suggesting they didn't work as hard as they could have. I'm sure given their budget, their skills/experience, their time, their goals, their priorities etc. they did the best possible job they could.

I think people too easily conflate the 'accusation' that a dev didn't do as good a job as can possibly be done on a system with saying a dev is lazy. There's lots and lots of reasons why a dev mightn't execute as well as would be exemplary, that may have nothing to do with total level of effort expended on the game. Most particularly in a multiplatform context.

The poster I was responding to was saying 'of course it's not going to be as good, the GPU is weaker'...as if that's necessarily some fundamental limit. All I meant to say is that it's not.

but less available RAM (including 9MB for custom soundtracks), coding of SPUs to help RSX, split pool, etc... all of these are possible HW reasons that go way beyond developer error.

Other games that showcase the platform go in a different direction and use OTHER shortcuts that can not be compared to another version and are not Open world games.

here is a pretty good analysis of the situation

It's difficult to make any blanket statements about the PS3 and 360 in terms of performance.

However, when it comes to PS3 exclusives, there is a fairly significant difference.
The PS3 architecture lends itself to rendering multiple frames in parallel. The SPUs can certainly help out with rendering, but what few people realise is that this often occurs in parallel with RSX.

For example, while frame X+1 is rendering, the post processing for frame X is occurring on the SPUs. This form of parallelism fundamentally cannot be done on the 360 and is simply not needed. This is clearly very hard to implement when writing a multiplatform engine.

On top of that, the SPUs are often used to do vertex processing for the RSX (Well, you basically have to). This actually takes a huge chunk of total SPU time (I believe it's around 40% for uncharted 2). Combine that with other tasks (shader constant patching, etc) and you have be very very careful in how a rendering architecture is setup to prevent stalls.
Naturally, if you are only working with the PS3 you can tailor to it a lot more.

On the other hand, the 360 has issues with memory latency. The GPU has a fairly small texture cache - and if you overrun it, the hit is usually pretty huge. Things like that. But it's more likely to get good performance from 'dumb' code. (I hesitate to use that word, as it's still very difficult thing to do - ps: anyone who utters the term 'lazy' doesn't know what they are talking about)

At the end of the day, I can bet you that some exceptionally smart people worked exceptionally hard for an exceptionally long time getting both the PS3 and 360 looking and running as good as they do. Some people forget just how old and crappy both systems are

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Klocker said:
but less available RAM (including 9MB for custom soundtracks), coding of SPUs to help RSX, split pool, etc... all of these are possible HW reasons that go way beyond developer error.

Other games that showcase the platform go in a different direction and use OTHER shortcuts that can not be compared to another version and are not Open world games.

I didn't mention anything about 'developer error', did I? I'm not really sure what your point is wrt my post. Though if it's to say that from a visual perspective, RDR is a 'best possible implementation' of an open world game on PS3, I don't think I'd agree :) But the whole point of my post was to recognise that this wasn't necessarily a 'fault' of the developer, that I'm sure they made a best effort given their context.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
BeeDog said:
I'm surprised more people don't see through Tom Penny's schtick.

I am too, but it's also not very funny. It's like he's making jokes to himself, standing above everyone else and being condescending. To people who "get" his schtick, I just find most of his posts useless. For people who don't get it, they get riled up and try to discuss it. So you (Tom) are proud that you are able to manipulate people by acting? Wow that's never been done before and is definitely a hard thing to accomplish <sarcasm>.

On topic, I am hoping for a PC version at this stage. I sold my 360 a while ago because I needed the money. Because of this I missed out on Alan Wake which sucks, but hopefully I'll be able to get a new 360 soon. I don't care as much about the 80% of pixels, (60% of 720p is bad, but 80% of 720p I can live with) but the framerate difference is an issue for me.

I'd like to try the game before I buy it, framerate is what killed my experience of GTAIV (on both 360 and PS3).

Tom Penny said:

It's pretty obvious that you didn't play the game in question.

So much butthurt fanboys in this thread.

Forsete

Gold Member
lawblob said:
PS3 version is more historically accurate; it perfectly replicates Marsden's cataracts, of which many people were afflicted in 1911.

I've had that, looks nothing like this. :p

Was this posted?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=247305

screenshot_231641.jpg

screenshot_231642.jpg

screenshot_231643.jpg

screenshot_231644.jpg

screenshot_231617.jpg

screenshot_231618.jpg

I'm not breaking any rules, am I?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
lawblob said:
I know, 360 is like taking a time machine to the era while PS3 is like actually living through it.

NHale

Mr. Snrub said:

Stop the presses! I see a bird on the PS3 version but none on the X360 version.

Less foliage but at least has birds. What's more important to the epicness of the game, foliage or birds? :lol

Loxley

I was doing one of the bounty missions, and while working my way towards the guy I was supposed to kill, I shot one of his lackies in chest, he fell back, fired his gun on the way down and shot his horse in the ass. It fucking flipped out :lol :lol I had to pause the game because I couldn't stop laughing.

Game of the Forever confirmed :D

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
KittyKittyBangBang said:
chespace
It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
(Today, 12:06 PM)
Reply | Quote

Welcome to NeoGAF.

BTW, can you tell me which version has less vaseline (and/or cataracts)?

That's the one I'd like to purchase.

Thanks.

Vinci

Danish
The 360 version indeed looks better. Doesn't somehow make the PS3 version shit though, so long as the game is still intact.

skyfinch

NHale said:
Stop the presses! I see a bird on the PS3 version but none on the X360 version.

Less foliage but at least has birds. What's more important to the epicness of the game, foliage or birds? :lol

I'll take the one with less birds. Distracting, noisy lil' fuckers. Every god damn morning outside my window!

Frostburn

Well at least we can clearly tell from those screens that the PS3 is the superior bird version. I bought it for the Xbox 360 since I own both consoles and have more friends to play with on Live.

Honestly the game still performs very well on both systems, as we've seen the 360 has a slight advantage but there is nothing gamebreakingly wrong with the PS3 version, just buy the game for your prefered system and enjoy one of the best games to come out this year.

Top Bottom