• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

Takuan

EviLore said:
Lots of juniors not coming back.
That was COOLD-BLOOOODED!

Im_RickJames_Bitch.jpg

PS3 version has framerate drops, but average framerate is much higher than GTAIV. Image quality, though, is just as bad. It's a shimmery, blurry mess.
Hrm. Didn't really have a problem with how GTAIV looked on the Trey, but I did have a problem with the frame rate. "much higher", huh? May cop...

Omiee

nvm than im going for the 360 ill just make some friends here on gaf, anybody up for a game of red dead on live add me BigOmiee on LIVE ill be online tomorrow when i get the game.

hope they release a pc version within a few months

Zinthar

Quincey said:
I understand you have a schtick to follow, but every single reviewer has said the differences are minimal. How are you so incapable of using logic?

*cough*

Ars: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/read-dead-redemption-360-vs-ps3-our-thoughts.ars

PC World: http://www.pcworld.com/article/196661/analysis_red_dead_redemption_on_ps3_vs_xbox_360.html

Easy Google search.

In sum: as with GTA:IV, buy it for the 360 if you own both consoles, unless you want to play multiplayer with PSN friends.

Zinthar

LovingSteam said:
So I purchased the PS3 version and I am in love with the game. My only disappointment is the jaggies. Is the 360 version truly that different even if I am not playing on an HDMI capable system? If it is I will go and exchange the PS3 for the 360 version. Just need some input from you helpful folks.

HDMI vs. component makes almost no difference for the 360 -- you probably couldn't tell them apart even if you had them side by side.

The 360 version is definitely sharper, but if you have friends on PSN who will play the multi w/ you I'd stick with that version.

coopolon

LovingSteam said:
So I purchased the PS3 version and I am in love with the game. My only disappointment is the jaggies. Is the 360 version truly that different even if I am not playing on an HDMI capable system? If it is I will go and exchange the PS3 for the 360 version. Just need some input from you helpful folks.

I mentioned this earlier. Apparently, seeing aliasing is an incredibly subjective experience. I got the 360 version expecting to have very little aliasing since supposedly it is 2xMSAA, and I am shocked at just how many jaggies there are. I have never played it on PS3 nor seen it in motion, so I can't comment on whether it is less or more on the 360, but in my eyes (which admittedly, are primarily geared towards PC games right now so maybe I've just been spoiled for too long), this game has really really bad aliasing, especially when buildings are a medium distance away. But it's a Rockstar open world game running at 720p, so I probably shouldn't be too surprised at this. Don't get me wrong, the game is gorgeous and I'm completely happy I purchased it, but the aliasing does bother me.

I am using a 360, HDMI, Samsung 1080p plasma, so I guess people can claim it's some screw up in my system, but if I were you, I would not exchange for jaggies alone, I would only exchange if the resolution were bothering me (admittedly, higher resolution means less jaggies, but I'm not sure how much of a difference 20% would really make.)

Takuan

coopolon said:
I mentioned this earlier. Apparently, seeing aliasing is an incredibly subjective experience. I got the 360 version expecting to have very little aliasing since supposedly it is 2xMSAA, and I am shocked at just how many jaggies there are. I have never played it on PS3 nor seen it in motion, so I can't comment on whether it is less or more on the 360, but in my eyes (which admittedly, are primarily geared towards PC games right now so maybe I've just been spoiled for too long), this game has really really bad aliasing, especially when buildings are a medium distance away.

I am using a 360, HDMI, Samsung 1080p plasma, so I guess people can claim it's some screw up in my system, but if I were you, I would not exchange for jaggies alone, I would only exchange if the resolution were bothering me (admittedly, higher resolution means less jaggies, but I'm not sure how much of a difference 20% would really make.)
At least you can see your gun and donkey! My co-worker said there were times where the gun model didn't even show up, and he'd summon a donkey and see it marked on the map but it'd be invisible otherwise. :lol

Funny that neither the Arstechnica nor PC World reviews mention frame rate. Maybe I'll jump...

Pooya

coopolon said:
I mentioned this earlier. Apparently, seeing aliasing is an incredibly subjective experience. I got the 360 version expecting to have very little aliasing since supposedly it is 2xMSAA, and I am shocked at just how many jaggies there are. I have never played it on PS3 nor seen it in motion, so I can't comment on whether it is less or more on the 360, but in my eyes (which admittedly, are primarily geared towards PC games right now so maybe I've just been spoiled for too long), this game has really really bad aliasing, especially when buildings are a medium distance away. But it's a Rockstar open world game running at 720p, so I probably shouldn't be too surprised at this. Don't get me wrong, the game is gorgeous and I'm completely happy I purchased it, but the aliasing does bother me.

2xMSAA isn't enough for a smooth looking picture, this is the best you can get on current consoles.

EviLore said:
Ranger X
LordPhoque
Verapamil
scoobs
Billy Mitchell
Tom Penny
reKon
NHale
White Sharingan
Fix The Scientist
Timbuktu
Jtones
Otrebor Nightmarecoat
lethial
Launch
wizword
Felix Lighter
jaypah
SamBa
WickedLaharl
CozMick
DMPrince
RandomVince
acevans2
KratosKilla
Duke Togo
UFRA
Esteban

Ouch, I pour a glass of wine for my fallen comrades. :'(

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
coopolon said:

For a decent handle on aliasing you want 4x @ 720p or 2x @ 1080p.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Omiee said:
nvm than im going for the 360 ill just make some friends here on gaf, anybody up for a game of red dead on live add me BigOmiee on LIVE ill be online tomorrow when i get the game.

hope they release a pc version within a few months

Same... I do hope a PC version as well would come out just because it should be enjoyed/hated by all :lol

Also, I added you over XBL. :D

FrankT

Takuan said:
At least you can see your gun and donkey! My co-worker said there were times where the gun model didn't even show up, and he'd summon a donkey and see it marked on the map but it'd be invisible otherwise. :lol

Funny that neither the Arstechnica nor PC World reviews mention frame rate. Maybe I'll jump...

There have been some comparisons here on framerate of both. A couple of the reviews have brought it up as well. But if you are looking for the nitty gritty analysis side by side you're going to have to wait for the DF or LoT compare.

miladesn said:
2xMSAA isn't enough for a smooth looking picture, this is the best you can get on current consoles.

Pretty much at least for this genre and the IQ level here. I think Fallout 3 360 was 720p 4XAA, but certainly not as nice looking as this game.

Omiee

Rebel Leader said:
Same... I do hope a PC version as well would come out just because it should be enjoyed/hated by all :lol

Also, I added you over XBL. :D

at least than we can add 8x AA etc, but still im def gonna enjoy playing the game now and getting it later on pc if it comes out
lol imagine people riding donkeys and horses and a mod giving you a ferrarri or something.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Omiee said:
at least than we can add 8x AA etc, but still im def gonna enjoy playing the game now and getting it later on pc if it comes out
lol imagine people riding donkeys and horses and a mod giving you a ferrarri or something.

I don't think many people will be riding donkeys because of the other name a donkey is called =3

Omiee

hahaha ill accept the invite later, cant wait to play the game =( ah well im of to play some split second and watch the lakers game.
cant wait for tomorrow

mujun

Death Dealer said:
Once again people bringing up Alan Wake are overlooking some differences.

Remedy claimed they were doing 720p x4msaa, openly inviting comparisons to the best graphics this generation has to offfer. Final game code turned out to be 960x540 with tearing. 540p is around 1/2 the pixels of 720p. According to one tech site, older builds were running 720p.

RDR turned out like their other games, sub-hd on PS3. Specifically 640p. 640p is only about 80% of the pixels of 720p. But given the past, it was not a surprising outcome. There is no doubt RDR looks better on X360.

Considering it was an exclusive game, and how linear it turned out to be, Alan Wake's 540p was a little more noteworthy.

Sure it was more noteworthy and Remedy should have been straight with their info, they look bad in the eyes of some people now after not clearing the air.

Still, you can't expect certain people to not get zealous in their defence when other's purposely hone in on one point and relentlessly hammer it to push their agenda.

Happening in here too and it's what turns a useful comparison thread into a cesspool (and gets a whole bunch of people banned, ouch).

Haunted

Jim's impressions are helpful. I went with the PS3 version because I don't have Gold and was a bit anxious, but it doesn't look like I'll have to worry too much. :)

This is no Bayonetta or Splinter Cell.

EviLore said:
Ranger X
LordPhoque
Verapamil
scoobs
Billy Mitchell
Tom Penny
reKon
NHale
White Sharingan
Fix The Scientist
Timbuktu
Jtones
Otrebor Nightmarecoat
lethial
Launch
wizword
Felix Lighter
jaypah
SamBa
WickedLaharl
CozMick
DMPrince
RandomVince
acevans2
KratosKilla
Duke Togo
UFRA
Esteban

holy shit

Hope the bolded vets aren't perm'd.

Pooya

lowrider007 said:
Don't forget about morphological anti-aliasing (or edge smoothing).
MLAA isn't a replacement for MSAA, it doesn't work well for all kind of surfaces and also color contrast affects it's performance. it's less effective in motion, see God of War III for example, it's very smooth when you're standing still but as soon as you move you can see the jaggies. From what I know it doesn't work for hiding the dithering effect caused by using A2C. For a game like RDR that has lots of transparencies (see all the foliage, trees, and the buildings/balconies) MLAA isn't suitable but GoWIII for example is a good fit. It depends on the game.

ymmv

Banned
Haunted said:
Jim's impressions are helpful. I went with the PS3 version because I don't have Gold and was a bit anxious, but it doesn't look like I'll have to worry too much. :)

holy shit

Add SamBa to the list. I'm surprised by the number of bans to be honest. I expected some real trolling based on the number of bans and the the name of the thread but I couldn't find fault with most of the postings that led to bans. I just hope these were not permabans.

vMaxx

EviLore said:
Ranger X
LordPhoque
Verapamil
scoobs
Billy Mitchell
Tom Penny
reKon
NHale
White Sharingan
Fix The Scientist
Timbuktu
Jtones
Otrebor Nightmarecoat
lethial
Launch
wizword
Felix Lighter
jaypah
SamBa
WickedLaharl
CozMick
DMPrince
RandomVince
acevans2
KratosKilla
Duke Togo
UFRA
Esteban

God,EviLore is harsh!

So I'm almost finished with the PS3 version and I'd just like to :lol at people saying this is a "horrible port" or a "Bayonetta situation all over again" (that includes the usual PS3 drama queens) sorry guys this one has negligible differences (slightly lower resolution and more aliasing are the biggest differences). If you only have a PS3 pick this bitch up, it's a GOTY contender. If you have both platforms get the version you will play online, otherwise get the version with extra content :p.

Don't let all the "lolPS3lol" comments bother you, as most the people saying that are XDF and the PS3less :p. The PS3 version is slightly "worse", but the extra content more than makes up for some loose threads in a spectacular title. If you could stand playing Red Dead Revolver on PS2 over Xbox, this seems to be in line with that. But if you must have the "best" version wait for the PC version when it inevitably hits (>30FPS BETCHES) :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
miladesn said:
MLAA isn't a replacement for MSAA, it doesn't work well for all kind of surfaces and also color contrast affects it's performance. it's less effective in motion, see God of War III for example, it's very smooth when you're standing still but as soon as you move you can see the jaggies.

Not to say it wasn't there, but I can't say I noticed such an artifact. I've read that MLAA isn't good for very thin objects, but otherwise should work well...

MSAA isn't technically perfect either (forgetting even the quality achieved at different levels of sampling), it would be easy to forget that. MLAA has its less than desirable corner cases too, but its 'highs' are very high...

miladesn said:
From what I know it doesn't work for hiding the dithering effect caused by using A2C. For a game like RDR that has lots of transparencies (see all the foliage, trees, and the buildings/balconies) MLAA isn't suitable

I may be wrong on this, but MSAA doesn't handle transparency AA either. It 'only' antialiases edges also. There are separate techniques that cover aliasing internal to polygons and transparencies, which can work in concert with edge-anti-aliasing techniques like MSAA or MLAA.

If you've easy access to a MLAA implementation, to just plug it in and try it, I think it makes sense for any developer to give it a whirl and compare to the MSAA (or Quincunx :|) alternatives and see what works best for your game. I think there's probably many cases where MLAA would be a win. Unfortunately I doubt RDR had this 'check'.

edit - actually, regarding MLAA and transparencies/'foliage'... I think it would actually net you aliasing within such textures. MLAA doesn't magically hone in just on polygon edges, it looks for any edges based on colour discontinuities etc. so that will include edges within textures.

Zeliard

Ever consider getting a 360 for multiplats, EviLore?

The machine itself is a wreck, RROD is as big a disaster as you have ever imagined it to be, but it unquestionably has a very consistent and clear advantage over the PS3 in multiplat game.

mintylurb

Haunted said:

holy shit

Poor LordPhoque. He was just recently unbanned too. Guess he'll have more time to enjoy AW.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
EviLore said:
Ranger X
LordPhoque
Verapamil
scoobs
Billy Mitchell
Tom Penny
reKon
NHale
White Sharingan
Fix The Scientist
Timbuktu
Jtones
Otrebor Nightmarecoat
lethial
Launch
wizword
Felix Lighter
jaypah
SamBa
WickedLaharl
CozMick
DMPrince
RandomVince
acevans2
KratosKilla
Duke Togo
UFRA
Esteban

Knockout of the Night
a4ot2o.jpg

A.R.K

Can't believe devs are still having trouble doing decent ports to PS3 in 2010 when Sony's
1st party games are so much ahead technically. I know the game would be just as fun to play on the PS3 but there is no reason the two versions should differ that much. Was R* even trying to improve its engine on the PS3 since GTIV? Looks like not much was done from the comparison shots.

Well I'll be getting a used copy in fall sometime. Not worth the $60 for me when I'll get a worse version.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
TheOddOne said:
Che, you walked right into that one :lol

Hi TheOddOne. Explain yourself.

I don't read NeoGAF enough these days to know the meme, but if it's a comparison of FM to GT, it doesn't even really work when we're talking about the blurry washed out look of the PS3 RDR vs. the 360 one. Are you saying FM is blurry or has a washed out look?

I dunno, I'm just going purely by the screenshots posted in this thread and making the assumption that they're accurate. But if it's the same syndrome as GTAIV on PS3, then yeah, I think it's a safe assumption on the IQ comparison.

Anyway, looks like he got punted. Oh well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zeliard said:

The machine itself is a wreck, RROD is as big a disaster as you have ever imagined it to be, but it unquestionably has a very consistent and clear advantage over the PS3 in multiplat game.

Right, but I have a gaming PC and I'm normally patient about delayed PC multiplatform releases, we just haven't had an announcement about a PC version of RDR and I allowed myself to be hyped a bit by the launch frenzy.

If this sort of scenario starts happening more often I'll get a 360, yeah.

Zeliard

EviLore said:
Right, but I have a gaming PC and I'm normally patient about delayed PC multiplatform releases, we just haven't had an announcement about a PC version of RDR and I allowed myself to be hyped a bit by the launch frenzy.

I hear ya. I'm the same. RDR will undoubtedly come to the PC in about 6 months or so, probably, but I also wasn't willing to wait.

Proc

I'm glad this thread exists. Im in the store debating whch version to buy. 360 it is. I can't believe how well this game is reviewing. Haven't seen scores like these for a while.

Zeliard said:

All depends on your priorities. Loud shoddy hardware, a controller you're not used to (assuming you're coming from PS2 or PS3), etc. Or having a multiplat game that has better grass along with other minor improvements :lol. I remember when the Xbox versions of multiplats had additional visual effects and consistently better framerates over their PS2 counterparts and no one gave a shit. What's the deal now? The gap between multiplats is smaller than ever. Is it because the PS3 and 360 are so much closer than the Xbox and PS2 were?

Buy a console for the features/games only that console can do. If better grass and a few more frames per second in multiplats count as "exclusive features" to you, then you may want to think about moving to PC gaming :lol. Sheesh at people buying systems for games they can already play. It's not being an "informed consumer" making the "best investment" it's pissing money away for SyzTeM WarZ.

EDIT: However if you already own both systems and are trying to decide which version to buy. I'd buy it for which ever console you already have the most invested in (online freinds, Achievements/Trophies, controller preference). I know "duh" but it seems like many people need to be reminded of this every time a major multiplatform game releases. Better grass and what not should never be a deal breaker. My post was directed at those that are thinking of buying an additional system for a multiplat game.

Zeliard said:

exactly what I did. came for the better multiplats, stayed for Halo :lol

oh and btw. the framerate isn't anything to write home about on the 360, either. can't imagine the ps3 being a lot worse.

Chrange

Banned
DevilWillcry said:
It's not being an "informed consumer" making the "best investment" it's pissing money away for SyzTeM WarZ .

You can get a 360 for $100 on sale. That's "pissing money away" compared to getting a gaming PC?

chespace

Picked up the 360 version today. Knowing that it's about the same issues as the PS3 had with GTA4 informed that decision.

I'll probably double dip when the PC version comes out. The true version where I can take screenshots with fraps. :p

Chrange said:
You can get a 360 for $100 on sale. That's "pissing money away" compared to getting a gaming PC?
You bet it is. That's $100 you are paying to play a game you can already play. Just because of a few frames per second and less aliasing? Is that ever worth $100? Now if some 360 exclusives have caught your eye or you want to get into LIVE then by all means pick a 360 up. I finally got one myself for Alan Wake as well as some other exclusives. Completely happy with the thing. But I find it hard to believe that people with perfectly good PS3s would go out and buy a 360 for better anti-aliasing and a few frames per second advantage in multipats :lol. For the price of both consoles together you could probably get a gaming PC that runs any games from a major 3rd party better than the consoles. It's better than buying two consoles.

Truespeed

dakster said:
It's quite clear now why the ps3 version was never shown, the 360 clearly has the better image quality. I don't mind so so much as it's what i expected and will still purchase the game Friday.

Every Rockstar PS3 game is hidden from the media and never shown publicly. They're clearly embarrassed by their PS3 games. Can't really blame them, though. You always want to show off your game in the best possible light. I have nothing against inferior ports just as long as you adjust the price to account for the lack of effort you placed in developing the PS3 version.

DogWelder

DevilWillcry said:
All depends on your priorities. Loud shoddy hardware, a controller you're not used to (assuming you're coming from PS2 or PS3), etc. Or having a multiplat game that has better grass along with other minor improvements :lol. I remember when the Xbox versions of multiplats had additional visual effects and consistently better framerates over their PS2 counterparts and no one gave a shit. What's the deal now? The gap between multiplats is smaller than ever. Is it because the PS3 and 360 are so much closer than the Xbox and PS2 were?

Buy a console for the features/games only that console can do. If better grass and a few more frames per second in multiplats count as "exclusive features" to you, then you may want to think about moving to PC gaming :lol. Sheesh at people buying systems for games they can already play. It's not being an "informed consumer" making the "best investment" it's pissing money away for SyzTeM WarZ.

EDIT: However if you already own both systems and are trying to decide which version to buy. I'd buy it for which ever console you already have the most invested in (online freinds, Achievements/Trophies, controller preference). I know "duh" but it seems like many people need to be reminded of this every time a major multiplatform game releases. Better grass and what not should never be a deal breaker. My post was directed at those that are thinking of buying an additional system for a multiplat game.
To say sub-HD vs 720p is "minor" is trivializing the issue. If this was on PC I would not care, but since it's not, I do. Also, this is an RDR comparison thread, nothing more, don't turn this into something it's not.

Truespeed said:
Every Rockstar PS3 game is hidden from the media and never shown publicly. They're clearly embarrassed by their PS3 games. Can't really blame them, though. You always want to show off your game in the best possible light. I have nothing against inferior ports just as long as you adjust the price to account for the lack of effort you placed in developing the PS3 version.

Who is to say they didn't put the exact same effort into each version of the game? If I put in the exact same effort into driving two different cars, the results will be different... but not because of the effort I put into it.

Chrange

Banned
DevilWillcry said:
You bet it is. That's $100 you are paying to play a game you can already play. Just because of a few frames per second and less aliasing? Is that ever worth $100? Now if some 360 exclusives have caught your eye or you want to get into LIVE then by all means pick a 360 up. I finally got one myself for Alan Wake as well as some other exclusives. Completely happy with the thing. But I find it hard to believe that people with perfectly good PS3s would go out and buy a 360 for better anti-aliasing and a few frames per second advantage in multipats :lol. For the price of both consoles together you could probably get a gaming PC that runs any games from a major 3rd party better than the consoles. It's better than buying two consoles.

There are more than a few multiplatform games that perform better on 360, plus exclusives. There's really very little excuse to not have one at this (price) point, which is why I found calling it 'pissing money away' so laughable.

esc said:
To say sub-HD vs 720p is "minor" is trivializing the issue. If this was on PC I would not care, but since it's not, I do. Also, this is an RDR comparison thread, nothing more, don't turn this into something it's not.
Hey choosing which platform to buy a multiplat on usually comes down to the advantages the hardware of the consoles themselves have over eachother. But I don't want to derail the thread so I'm done with that. I just think it's funny how people argue over "sub-HD this, better grass this, aliasing, bleh bleh bleh" when we know a PC version is going to hit (It's the RAGE engine, don't doubt it) that addresses all these issues and improves performance. The console wars stuff just seems kinda pointless knowing that. But hey that's not here yet anyways. I'm not looking to fuck up the thread, so I'm out. Just wanted to give my 2 cents on these platform differences everyone is up in arms about. Still say controller preference, Trophies/Achievements, and online freinds should always dwarf any graphical differences every time :p

Mar

I read the first 3 pages and still had no idea which was the better version. In fact for a good while I thought that GIF in the second post was real...

Reading this last page has confirmed what I thought before entering the thread though. Each version has its ups and downs and the only people who get their panties in a twist are the brand specific console warriors.

chespace

DevilWillcry said:
Hey choosing which platform to buy a multiplat on usually comes down to the advantages the hardware of the consoles themselves have over eachother. But I don't want to derail the thread so I'm done with that. I just think it's funny how people argue over "sub-HD this, better grass this, aliasing, bleh bleh bleh" when we know a PC version is going to hit (It's the RAGE engine, don't doubt it) that addresses all these issues and improves performance. The console wars stuff just seems kinda pointless knowing that. But hey that's not here yet anyways. I'm not looking to fuck up the thread, so I'm out. Just wanted to give my 2 cents on these platform differences everyone is up in arms about. Still say controller preference, Trophies/Achievements, and online freinds should always dwarf any graphical differences every time :p

You know, stating the obvious doesn't really mean you have a point.

Also, if we're going to compare ports, the PC version of GTA4 was extremely disappointing when it came to performance. The latest patch helped a little and cleaned up shadows, but it's still a sub-30fps mess when you've cranked up details on high-mid machine (Q9550 3.8GHz, 4870x2). So I wouldn't count on the PC version to save the day. It'll certainly look better but hopefully we'll get something much more optimized.

Omiee

EviLore said:

it depends on the situation i mean in this situation u cant just get the pc version and avoid it ( even though i see a pc version being released maybe later this year ), but with most multiplats they are on par with the 360 version in the rare case that isent u could go for the pc version and avoid it all together.

god dam, amazon is dispatching my game soon so i cant cancel it and choose the 360 version.
ah well ill just go for the ps3 version i mean i dident even have a big prpblem with gta 4

mujun

DevilWillcry said:
So I'm almost finished with the PS3 version and I'd just like to :lol at people saying this is a "horrible port" or a "Bayonetta situation all over again" (that includes the usual PS3 drama queens) sorry guys this one has negligible differences (slightly lower resolution and more aliasing are the biggest differences). If you only have a PS3 pick this bitch up, it's a GOTY contender. If you have both platforms get the version you will play online, otherwise get the version with extra content :p.

Don't let all the "lolPS3lol" comments bother you, as most the people saying that are XDF and the PS3less :p. The PS3 version is slightly "worse", but the extra content more than makes up for some loose threads in a spectacular title. If you could stand playing Red Dead Revolver on PS2 over Xbox, this seems to be in line with that. But if you must have the "best" version wait for the PC version when it inevitably hits (>30FPS BETCHES) :p

Awesome post.

So the only people turning this thread to shit are XDF.

Oh, and don't buy the 360 version because the PC version will be better.

Top Bottom