• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[redacted] Hollow Knight

Nzyme32

Why was the title changed? Did I miss something? Totally uncalled for and imo incredibly petty.

On the plus side, maybe people will come in with a more open mind now. It's always a risky prospect comparing a new IP to a beloved classic.

Mods gonna mod. It's just my opinion, and people can decide whatever they want. I made a thread since I genuinely believe one of my favourite games of all time has been surpassed.

Yeah... I kickstarted this game and got 100% shortly after it was released. Nostalgia aside, I think it's the best "Metroidvania" game of all time. The exploration in this game alone is incredibly exciting just due to the variety of areas and enemies, and the atmosphere and art are amazing. Doesn't hurt that it's really fun to play. One of those games that I didn't want to put down when it was over.

jimboton

Add me to the HK is the best metroidvania in the last 20 years camp. I love Salt & Sanctuary, Axiom Verge, Valdis Story, Aquaria, La-Mulana and many other 'modern' metroidvanias but Hollow Knight really is a cut above even the best of them. I will not say that it's better than Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night but it's certainly up there with those two.

Expectations are now set unrealistically high for Ghost Song and Heart Forth Alicia.

So what was the original thread title?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah... I kickstarted this game and got 100% shortly after it was released. Nostalgia aside, I think it's the best "Metroidvania" game of all time. The exploration in this game alone is incredibly exciting just due to the variety of areas and enemies, and the atmosphere and art are amazing. Doesn't hurt that it's really fun to play. One of those games that I didn't want to put down when it was over.

Add me to the HK is the best metroidvania in the last 20 years camp. I love Salt & Sanctuary, Axiom Verge, Valdis Story, Aquaria, La-Mulana and many other 'modern' metroidvanias but Hollow Knight really is a cut above even the best of them. I will not say that it's better than Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night but it's certainly up there with those two.

giphy.gif

Jesus everyone in this thread is helping to set my expectations so high for this.

Expectations are now set unrealistically high for Ghost Song and Heart Forth Alicia.

So what was the original thread title?
"Super Metroid is surpassed by Hollow Knight"

This isn't making waiting for the Switch version any easier.. Maybe I'll just get the pc version and then get it again later on when it's released on the Switch.

But I don't want to play this on keyboard and I hate the xbox dpad :(

Why do people have such a problem with '30 hours'?

The game is content rich. It had a save system. You get upgrades (i.e. dash, double jump, etc.) and sections open up. The world gets larger. Why is a lengthier experience a bad thing?

Some people have way less time to play games and have to pick and choose what to buy and sink their time into. A shorter experience is actually preferable to me because I have found that unlike in my youth heyday, games that have a 30-40 hour runtime can take me a month+ to finish even if I only play that game, due to time constraints. So they have to be reaaaally worth it to me to get the longer the completion time is.

That being said, I've been interested in this particular game for a while and love the art style. Just waiting for it to come out on PS4 and then I'll likely pick it up.

FoxSpirit

giphy.gif

Jesus everyone in this thread is helping to set my expectations so high for this.
Breathe deep, calm down :p

Remember taste is a variable thing so while it's always a very good game, you may find yourself less enamored. Just expect something solid and you will not feel let down :)

Great to hear it's so well received! I'm burnt out entirely on the genre at the moment but hopefully this, Momodora, and Ghost Song will perk me up in a year or two.

Remember taste is a variable thing so while it's always a very good game, you may find yourself less enamored. Just expect something solid and you will not feel let down :)
Uh this is the thread that says there's a better Super Metroid than Super Metroid right? People gonna get steamy. :p

I played all the popular Metroidvanias, but this and Environmental Station Alpha are my favorites that are not Super Metroid. And in some aspects, they surpass it.
ESA is great and you're great for beating it!

Originally was interested in this based off of the awesome art style, then it fell off my radar because there's been a flood of metroidvanias lately

it's back on my radar, I'll check it out when t comes to switch

what other great Metroidvanias are there lately?

All metroidvanias listed here are fantastic, IMO:

Add me to the HK is the best metroidvania in the last 20 years camp. I love Salt & Sanctuary, Axiom Verge, Valdis Story, Aquaria, La-Mulana and many other 'modern' metroidvanias but Hollow Knight really is a cut above even the best of them.

I skipped Salt and Sanctuary due to being burnt out on Dark Souls. Should I go back? How is the difficulty compared to HK? I love all the other games listed but didn't want something overly difficult. Bosses are my least favorite part of these games.

jimboton

All metroidvanias listed here are fantastic, IMO:

I skipped Salt and Sanctuary due to being burnt out on Dark Souls. Should I go back? How is the difficulty compared to HK? I love all the other games listed but didn't want something overly difficult. Bosses are my least favorite part of these games.

I'd say they're on par, but they're quite different. Salt & Sanctuary is probably as hard as it gets right in the beginning (still not as hard as Dark Souls though) while after that, it's easy to find a fairly powerful build and 'sail' the rest of the way (I hear magic is particularly broken, in my experience really large swords also end up dispatching bosses in no time). There will be a few speed bumps along the way but I don't think it ever gets as intense as the W
hite
P
alace
, T
rial of the
F
ool
or R
adiance

And yeah, it's a fantastic metroidvania, though the more metroid-y elements of the mix take some time to show themselves while at first it looks to be straight 2d Souls. It's I think the the only one of the recent metroidvanias that has an interconnected world on the same scale as Hollow Knight. In short, I totally recommend that you play it ;)

tmarg

The only complaint I have about this game this far is that
the royal waterways should really have a unique key. I spent the two easy to find keys on the other doors and then spent hours wandering around blocked off from the critical path until I found the much better hidden one.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm one of the rare people who never thought Super Metroid was anything special. Maybe because I first played it when I was much older? I dunno.

Ori and the Blind forest was a much better Metroidvania for me. Shadow Complex too. Maybe even Strider.

daxy

I'm one of the rare people who never thought Super Metroid was anything special. Maybe because I first played it when I was much older? I dunno.

Ori and the Blind forest was a much better Metroidvania for me. Shadow Complex too. Maybe even Strider.

I don't necessarily disagree, but...

f8325fa191d493e3fdaca02c4890d560.gif

Thread title change is pretty petty; I don't like it when it's done in threads that blow up in their TC's the face, but I understand the humor of it. This is just dickish and no fun for anyone except the mod his or herself.

tmarg

Also, Dust An Elysian Tale. I mean, Super Metroid obviously seems to have set the bar all those years ago, but it's been cleared numerous times.

The only thing special about Dust is the number of people who worked on it. One of the most over hyped indie games ever.

Axass

Thread title change is pretty petty; I don't like it when it's done in threads that blow up in their TC's the face, but I understand the humor of it. This is just dickish and no fun for anyone except the mod his or herself.

Agreed. There's really no reason for the change.

Hupsel

Hollow Knight is indeed amazing. My favorite game of the year so far (didnt play Zelda, but Ive played Nier, Horizon and RE7). Such a good game with a ton of love put into it!

Combat is good, sense of exploration is good, music is AMAZING. The only negative I can think of is that I wish there were more places to teleport to - late game can become a little (just a little) bit repetitive because of backtracking. Either way, a solid 10/10 from me :D

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Same. It's a great game, but it's not the be all end all I've heard about ever since EGM (100th issue?) ranked it first in the list of best games many years ago.

lol @ the new topic title

Same. Super Metroid has its fair share of problems and, while it was an incredibly influential game, has been easily surpassed by more recent games. Most notably, Metroid Prime.

Still a good game, though. And a game I enjoyed almost the whole way through, which is more than a lot of The Influential Best Games of All Time can say, haha.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'd love to see what Flash games people are playing that they can say this looks like an amatuer Flash game. Seriously, that statement boggles the mind, and I play Flash and freeware games on a regular basis
Yeah, I don't get it either. I find these opinions to be absolutely, mind-boggingly insane. And I haven't even played the game, just saw screenshots and gifs. I can see someone disliking maybe the muted palettes (I don't mind much, but I do like variety of palettes/environments), but it otherwise looks stunningly beautiful.

Honestly though, I can't think of any time where the "looks like a Flash game" criticism ever had any merit. It's applied so liberally to any 2D games it has lost all meaning.

Dr.Acula

Banned
This game is a treasure, absolutely the best Metroidvania since Super Metroid and SotN. And I dare say, if all three launched at the same time, Hollow Knight would definitely top some people's lists.

And yes, there are plenty of areas that have colour and different layouts and design, but since we live in "spoiler culture," people don't disseminate images of those areas.

That's a pretty petty title change from whatever mod did it. Heaven forbid someone finds a newer game in the same vain of a classic better than said classic lol. Doesn't make that older game any less of an amazing game.

I feel like I'll play this at some point, I have only heard praise of Hollow Knight, it helps that I don't play too many Metroidvanias.

Thread title is no longer clickbait at least.

How was it clickbait? It was OPs opinion.

Waiting for this to go on sale (or maybe just come to the Switch), it looks really good. I'm surprised at the amount of negative comments regarding the artstyle, it looks lovely to me.

Flandy

I want to play this on Switch but I can't stand using the D-Pad on that thing :\ A shame since the Switch is perfect for 2D titles like this but they're basically unplayable for me

killroy87

not sure what was wrong with the thread title, it's just the dude's opinion. oh well!

I've been watching some vids on this, and excitement is really growing. it looks super solid.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Hollow Knight deserves every bit of praise coming it's way. I expected just another indie Metroidvania which would be fine but it surpassed any expectations I had and it certainly deserves to be in the conversation alongside the best in the genre.

Saddens me that so many are bashing the art style. Game looks gorgeous.
It's more so the character design that I hate, rest of the art looks pretty cool.

FoxSpirit

Also, Dust An Elysian Tale. I mean, Super Metroid obviously seems to have set the bar all those years ago, but it's been cleared numerous times.
WHAT???? I am sorry but Dust? I mean, the inagme art was great and animation smooth but the rest? A combo mashy fighting system that simply dragged on and on, terrible portraits, even more terrible voice acting and a bland, upfront story.

I mean I gave my money but I couldn't stomach more than 90 minutes of Dust.

AlterOdin

Great f.....g.g game. Art style is beautiful, mechanics are solid, responsiveness/controls are excellent. The stuttering, engine related I am sure, hopefully will be fixed.

"It should not be difficult to write a better book than The Great Gatsby in 2017".
"It should not be difficult to film a better movie than Citizen Kane in 2017".
"It should not be difficult to paint a better painting than the Mona Lisa in 2017".
highlighting the absurdity of the statement.

Find this reasoning a little unfair. (Apples vs Oranges) The "art/medium/tools" of writing a book, painting a picture, making/directing a movie (which have a vision/message to deliver) where pretty developed for their time.

And from a purely game-play perspective the tools have advanced quite a bit (also for metrovania 2d), allowing for more complex animation to merge with game mechanics, having more mechanics, etc.

This may make the OG Metriod seem even more astonishing (given they had to work on "limited" hardware), but from a purely objective point-of-view, not so much?

Anyway glowing recommendations. (On a indie binge as my 980ti melted)

Edit: No saying it's not difficult to make a good metrovania, but maybe not as difficult. (sry boiler-plate arguments just irks me, maybe this was your point :)

Edit2: Not sure if you are prasing of dissing HK, one hand it seems that you could be praising them for the unimaginably task of making a great metrovania, on the other hand you seem to be offended that a master-piece like Metriod (as monalisa/citizencane/greatgatesby) is even compared to this piece of s....

Edit3: Do not post when drunk :)=

Top Bottom