• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RemotePlay with PS Vita TV is a lagless, slightly compressed experience - GamesRadar

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Kintaro said:
I'm not being a cynic here, but I'll believe it when I see it in my own home and not in a controlled environment.
Show floor is the opposite of controlled environment when it comes to wireless signals.

Anyway I'm still waiting on the 60fps yay/nay. I want Resogun uncompromised.

Metalmurphy said:
The bigger the res the bigger the bitrate. I have my doubts they'll stream higher then the Vita native res.
It could be a quality slider - given that home setups will certainly cope better than remote ones, and not all home setups are equal either.

Compression wont bother me one bit; you'd have to downscale the shit out of it for it to NOT look impressive on the Vita. No lag, even in a controlled environment, is a great start.

RaikuHebi

Banned
It's what I expected really. No way were they going to make themselves look bad next to the WiiU.

As someone who has tried RemotePlay on PS3 I'm sure this will be even more stunning.

Korezo

I'll take slight compression over lag any day. Is it not a similar situation with the Wii U tablet for remote play?

I don't know if its because of the lower resolution on the pad or if the game is compressed but games on the pad does loose a lot of quality on the pad, some games play with pixelation like a compressed youtube video.

Wow, I want expecting the them to say it was lag free, that was my number one concern. Doesn't remote play on ps3/vita feature a fair bit of lag?

Engadget video does show a frame or two of lag compared to the TV. I can't measure it but you can see when pausing. Probably no worse than lag from a bad TV, assuming that screen was low latency.

Durante

I'm a bit concerned about the compression. If the artifacts are obvious enough for mainstream gaming publications to notice they are probably enough to annoy me. I hope for a quality slider of some kind.

Ty4on

ENGADGET's video of Remote Play on Vita!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzVT5APO6Sk&hd=1
Dunno if it's the dim lightning, but the Vita 2000 looks really nice there. Giving me a reason to get the PS4. I think the Vita is the best screen in my place :p
I'm a bit concerned about the compression. If the artifacts are obvious enough for mainstream gaming publications to notice they are probably enough to annoy me. I hope for a quality slider of some kind.
I'm pretty sure they'll try to make the quality as high as possible, but I've found compressed YouTube videos to look really nice on the Vita screen. What are the possible bottlenecks?

Lamptramp

If they have really figured this out without lag, then I am seriously buying a Vita just for Remote Play.

Yep, like others I'm not too bothered about compression if its lag free. I'll have to keep my eyes open for good vita deals over christmas while theres still OLED ones about.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
For those who don't know even the ps3 games that have vita(not psp) remote play like the ico collection already have zero lag(in local at least).

BAW

Banned
So this does not transmit the image directly to Vita like the Wii U does? You need to have a wifi network in your home?

Omikaru

The compression probably won't bother me. I'll be plugging Vita TV into an old 720p TV in another room, and I expect it'll look pretty fine at that resolution. I'm glad to hear that on a local network, at least, it'll be lag free.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

only comment on compression so far was on vita TV though. so everything blown up to a large TV and requiring more bandwidth/stronger compression because it is 720p (confirmed by Yoshida)

So I would hope/expect compression to be less of an issue on a Vita, both due to the lower resolution meaning less harsh compression + smaller screen

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
iH3EKWV7mxZTZ.gif

I'm pretty happy with the look of the LCD, at least from the video.

Sendou

Slight compression doesn't bother me but I'm still conserned about how it will work with some games seeing that Vita is missing inputs DS4 has.

The vita Remote play underneath is way more Important to me since the Vita.Tv wont come west-side for a while.... I knew some form of compression was going to be there glad it's a slight one though

What really makes me happy is the no apparent lag :D

thelastword

Banned
Wow, no lag, that's pretty good. I'm sure the slight compression can be cleared off in the future, but as it stands, the convenience of playing your PS4 games anywhere sounds pretty impressive. ,

DBT85

The bigger the res the bigger the bitrate. I have my doubts they'll stream higher then the Vita native res.

I don't understand, people stream netflix at what resolution? Are you suggesting the issue is going to come from a network bandwidth issue, or PS4/Vita processing problems?

Engadget video does show a frame or two of lag compared to the TV. I can't measure it but you can see when pausing. Probably no worse than lag from a bad TV, assuming that screen was low latency.

I'll download the video and see if I can't equalise some graphics.

So this does not transmit the image directly to Vita like the Wii U does? You need to have a wifi network in your home?

You can transmit direct to the Vita or through your home network. You can do remote play with NO additional equipment other than a Vita and a PS4.

No lag is great news. Compression? I hate compression. Fuck that for a 1080p console, no thanks.

Compression is a necessity, its ont very well going to stream a 1080p uncompressed video now is it, noticeable artefacts are the issue.

Can anyone offer a reason why the compression quality couldn't change over time?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No lag is honestly surprising.

Might have to definitely grab FFXIV on PS4 when it comes around and if I'm still playing it for mining and crafting insanity. Hopefully a lot of other jRPGs and MMO's come to the system.

Drek

Only because:
1)the tv is probably also a lcd
2)the lcd vita is alone, it there was an oled vita near it
DSC_0038.JPG

Accept this is a shit comparison shot as the OLED is on max brightness and the LCD demo didn't allow for brightness adjustment (not to mention that it's picture snapped in a random shop and not some dark room and we're all likely viewing it through LCDs ourselves).

DBT85

This is an 8 frame clip from that 30fps Engadget video slowed down to 1 fps. You can see what the difference is between what appears on the monitor in the background, and what appears on the Vita screen.

How much lag there is between him pressing buttons and that happening is more difficult.

But that two sites said there was no lag (IE it felt like there was no lag) thats good.

nIjKDni.gif

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Accept this is a shit comparison shot as the OLED is on max brightness and the LCD demo didn't allow for brightness adjustment (not to mention that it's picture snapped in a random shop and not some dark room and we're all likely viewing it through LCDs ourselves).
Too bad the brightness is not the problem in this shot :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You can see the lag, but it's not that bad. Easily playable.

Cha

Woah! That endgadget video looked perfect. Would love to see how well remote play would hold up over an internet connection. It obviously won't be 1:1, but after seeing this video it may not be as crazy laggy as I thought it may be.

Durante

This is an 8 frame clip from that 30fps Engadget video slowed down to 1 fps. You can see what the difference is between what appears on the monitor in the background, and what appears on the Vita screen.

How much lag there is between him pressing buttons and that happening is more difficult.

But that two sites said there was no lag (IE it felt like there was no lag) thats good.

nIjKDni.gif
So, 2 30 FPS frames, that's 67 ms.

Bailers

Has anyone from Sony confirmed what wireless is in the PS4? I'm assuming -n, but sure would be nice to have -ac in there for this kind of gaming.

Top Bottom