• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RemotePlay with PS Vita TV is a lagless, slightly compressed experience - GamesRadar

Fredrik

This is an 8 frame clip from that 30fps Engadget video slowed down to 1 fps. You can see what the difference is between what appears on the monitor in the background, and what appears on the Vita screen.

How much lag there is between him pressing buttons and that happening is more difficult.

But that two sites said there was no lag (IE it felt like there was no lag) thats good.

nIjKDni.gif
That's 2 frames of lag compared to a LCD TV, or 4 frames in a 60fps game. Fully acceptable imo. Especially since it'll work without distance restrictions.

WiiU gamepad streaming is faster than a LCD though and some people still claim that they can feel the "lag" so prepare yourself for some serious overblown nitpicky complaining after launch :/

DieH@rd

Banned
Has anyone from Sony confirmed what wireless is in the PS4? I'm assuming -n, but sure would be nice to have -ac in there for this kind of gaming.

It is confirmed that both PS4 and Vita have 2.4ghz802.11n [PS3 has g, which introduces more latency]. This setup from Sony is more than enough for good remote play.

DieH@rd

Banned
HOLD ON! You're able to play on the PS4 while still using Remote Play? That confirms Cross-Controller in some capacity for all Remote Play games! Whoo!

Yes, Yoshida confirmed on Gamescom that PS4 will continue outputting HDTV stream normally when Remote Play is active.

I don't understand, people stream netflix at what resolution? Are you suggesting the issue is going to come from a network bandwidth issue, or PS4/Vita processing

Netflix doesn't have to wait for input to know what to process, render, encode and stream. There's no delay to be had and it allows it to buffer ahead for a stutter free stream. Both things are nothing alike.

kartu

Banned
I can't imagine that lag will be low enough to do, say, GoW Zeus fight.

But well, that's rather extreme conditions.

Don't forget that if you play this over the internet away from home you have to add in extra delay time, good internet speeds or not there is still travel time to take into account.

Damn good! I was worrued about this.

Hahaha!

What's the story behind this?

Linus was asked about open source drivers/support for I believe their Tegra chips. nVIdia is apparently bad at this and he basically said "Nvidia, Fuck You!"

No loss anyway considering Tegra chips are perpetual disappointments in every way.

HOLD ON! You're able to play on the PS4 while still using Remote Play? That confirms Cross-Controller in some capacity for all Remote Play games! Whoo!

Well, unless it doesn't let you play local multi in that mode for some arbitrary reason. : p
Like disabling local controllers for example.

That's 2 frames of lag compared to a LCD TV, or 4 frames in a 60fps game. Fully acceptable imo. Especially since it'll work without distance restrictions.

WiiU gamepad streaming is faster than a LCD though and some people still claim that they can feel the "lag" so prepare yourself for some serious overblown nitpicky complaining after launch :/

The key test for me is going to be whether or not my scores on Pinball Arcade suffer notably between playing the Vita version of the game natively and playing the game via remote play. Racing games, you're highly unlikely to notice two extra frames of lag. Stuff like Resogun, you might.

I don't notice the one frame of lag on the Wii U gamepad, but you've got to figure this is more like 4 or 5 frames of lag total. Fingers crossed anyway. This is very encouraging. Vita purchase may be validated. Especially if Pinball Arcade plays well on it.

DieH@rd

Banned
The key test for me is going to be whether or not my scores on Pinball Arcade suffer notably between playing the Vita version of the game natively and playing the game via remote play. Racing games, you're highly unlikely to notice two extra frames of lag. Stuff like Resogun, you might.

I don't notice the one frame of lag on the Wii U gamepad, but you've got to figure this is more like 4 or 5 frames of lag total. Fingers crossed anyway. This is very encouraging. Vita purchase may be validated. Especially if Pinball Arcade plays well on it.

WiiU gamepad has very low lag, 1 frame in a 60fps game.

I'm super glad to hear about this lack of lag. I wonder when we can hear about remote play over a tethered 4g connection or something like that. If it works good even in that circumstance then I could actually play at work over lunch breaks and stuff, would be amazing.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm super glad to hear about this no lag. I wonder when we can hear about remote play over a tethered 4g connection or something like that. If it works good even in that circumstance then I could actually play at work over lunch breaks and stuff, would be amazing.

Bandwith will be fine, but ping... can vary a lot. Try to ping your home PC from your mobile phone via 4G connection when you are at work.

This is an 8 frame clip from that 30fps Engadget video slowed down to 1 fps. You can see what the difference is between what appears on the monitor in the background, and what appears on the Vita screen.

How much lag there is between him pressing buttons and that happening is more difficult.

But that two sites said there was no lag (IE it felt like there was no lag) thats good.

nIjKDni.gif

Oh wow. WOW.

I SAID WOW.

No lag was the most important part, and I'm absolutely impressed with what I saw here.
This is the ebst reason to have a Vita.

As for a slight compression, I don't really care.

IT Slave

Banned
I'd like someone to test this in a less controlled environment to see how it performs in the real world.

In the real world, there are walls and ceilings between devices and varying qualities of wireless routers.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Lag or lack thereof is far more important than any slight compression issues. IQ can improve over time and besides I don't think anyone expect a crystal clear image.

Indeed. I wonder how it'll work over a wifi network away from home though. I want to use remote play on my lunch break at work...

Theorymon

Honestly, as long as it's mostly lag free, I can deal with lesser image quality. I love this off tv play stuff Nintendo and Sony are going for!

Didn't read any mention of where the PS4 was.

A VitaTV being buttfucked by the PS4 it is streaming off of does not translate into "All worries cleared! If you bring your VitaTV to college and leave your PS4 home there MIGHT be a little lag." It doesn't even mean another room in the house will be lag free. What is the range for this performance?

I'm still waiting for real life performance reviews before I lose any of my shit, but definitely a good start.

No lag is very impressive indeed, but I'm not going to get too excited until there are some non controlled environment impressions out there.

Bingo. WiFi can be a tricky beast in the home environment for the average consumer. It would be interesting to see it played in another room that is on the other side of the house or another floor.

DieH@rd

Banned
Bingo. WiFi can be a tricky beast in the home environment for the average consumer. It would be interesting to see it played in another room that is on the other side of the house or another floor.

In practice, range will be longer than with WiiU [WiiU uses 5Ghz WiFi, PS4 and Vita, 2.4GHz]. But lets wait for Digital Foundry to test everything. :)

WiiU gamepad has very low lag, 1 frame in a 60fps game.

If you look at the first half of the sentence you bolded, you'll see I said as much. I'm guessing Vita streaming is 4-5 frames of lag, based on it being 2 frames of lag behind an LCD TV of unknown lag. I'm guessing the TV has 2 or 3 of frames of lag already.

remember we saw similar videos of the Wii U gamepad which had the Wii U gamepad in sync or BEFORE the LCD tv, due to the tv itself having lag.

For most everything, 4-5 frames of lag is something I can absolutely deal with. It's just an estimate.

Krakn3Dfx

I have my doubts about input lag not being noticeable, but if it's true it's going to be an awesome feature.

When I played Splinter Cell on a Samsung TV through Gaikai at a tech show a few years ago (pre-Sony buyout), I noticed no lag at all and the visual quality was about on par with what you get on a Wii U gamepad when you stream a game there, maybe a little better.

Been pretty hyped up about this since it was announced, definitely was a big selling point for me as far as getting a PS4 right at launch.

really curious if remote play works when the internet down but local wireless is still up.

I believe since you can use the PS4 as a wifi hotspot (at least that's what I've heard?), the internet being down shouldn't be an issue on a local area connection.

I have my doubts about input lag not being noticeable, but if it's true it's going to be an awesome feature.

some people on gaf can notice it on F-Zero on the Wii U gamepad (1 frame of lag!) when they were very familiar with playing it on a CRT. it'll be noticeable to some, if far from all. for me, it's a question of game by game whether it'll bother me.

my Sony HMZ-T1 had set has noticeably more image lag than my desktop monitor, but in 95% of my games when I'm playing I don't really see it. If I play something like the Pinball Arcade that lives and dies on spit second reactions... not only do I notice, but it frustrated me so much that I won't play games like that on that display anymore.

I'm going to be very happy even if Pinball and Resogun are the only things I find it frustrating with remoteplay. I know I won't have issues with most FPS, platforming and racing games, from experiences with displays with less than best in class image lag. Hell, racing sims I've tested on my TV with that stupid motion flow mode which calculates in between frames and also adds a boatload more image lag, were quite playable. Unlike shooters.

Mrcapcom

This is amazing, so now i can play my ps4 on my vita anywhere in my house. Not confirmed but would be cool if I could stream ps4 to my ps3.

Is there any news if this works say somewhere else like in the life with PlayStation video? Like I play knack pause then go to school and pull out my vita and continue? That would be awesome so hype for PlayStation and glad I got my Vita :-D

Did they confirm that this was over wi-fi? I know the Vita TV has an ethernet port on the back of it but where I'd put I won't have access to ethernet. Also curious what speed/type (all that a,g,n stuff) router they were using.

Not confirmed but would be cool if I could stream ps4 to my ps3.

The opposite of this would be cool as well. I'm running out of HDMI ports on my TV but if you can play PS3 games through your PS4 with this tech, that solves back compat for the most part as all you need to do is have a PS3 somewhere in your house (all my games are HDD so no need to switch discs) and connected to a power plug and your wifi (not sure if the lag added would basically ruin twitch games like fighters)... even more awesome if stuff like Twitch streaming worked in this mode.

Top Bottom