• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Batman v Superman tracking for big opening weekend; tickets on sale 2/29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman v. Superman isn't going to make 300 million in its opening weekend.

The idea it's going to break, by 50 million, a record that was just set a few months ago (by a historic margin) is silly.

This film isn't going to have the round the clock screenings that one did
It's not going to have the number of screens
It currently does not have the presence of mind
It definitely is not enjoying the same level of goodwill.

200 would be a victory, I think. 175-190 is probably what WB is hoping for. 150 is the floor.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Alright. 200m then. I am expecting good numbers because of the thirst for DC CU movie.

Saya

When does the marketing blitzkrieg for BvS start? I've hardly seen anything here in Indonesia. Compared to Star Wars, the marketing was already in full swing a month out for that movie. It really feels quiet so far. I haven't even seen a 'coming soon' poster in the cinemas here, while I already saw some Civil War posters.

Boke1879

Batman v. Superman isn't going to make 300 million in its opening weekend.

The idea it's going to break, by 50 million, a record that was just set a few months ago (by a historic margin) is silly.

This film isn't going to have the round the clock screenings that one did
It's not going to have the number of screens
It currently does not have the presence of mind
It definitely is not enjoying the same level of goodwill.

200 would be a victory, I think. 175-190 is probably what WB is hoping for. 150 is the floor.

This. This movie won't have the hype SW had. It'll at least do 150million it's OW. I'm personally saying 185.

guek

Banned
I don't believe BvS can break the $200M opening ceiling in March if Snyder made a movie that feels distinctly like a Snyder movie. I don't mean that as an indictment of him as a filmmaker, though I'm admittedly not a huge fan of his and therefore likely biased against him, but even at his best, Snyder doesn't make movies that broadly appeals to multiple demographics.

folks are always thirsty for the goddamn Batman

yup. Why else would every single person in America have these:
bj7wKzv.jpg

When does the marketing blitzkrieg for BvS start? I've hardly seen anything here in Indonesia. Compared to Star Wars, the marketing was already in full swing a month out for that movie. It really feels quiet so far. I haven't even seen a 'coming soon' poster in the cinemas here, while I already saw some Civil War posters.
Here in the states they've been airing ads pretty often.

guek

Banned
You're telling me Warner produced ice mugs based on Batman and Robin and didn't give the characters the rock hard nipples from the movie?

Yo, WB, what the fuck!

I am just confused at some of these responses. 140-160 mil opening weekend? Batman and Superman? The most iconic superheroes of all time? Superman, them most known superhero, whose symbol has been identified as an American icon and culturally significant enough that kids that don't speak a lick of English can identify him? Batman, the most popular superhero of all time, a character whose name generates cash on pronunciation. The Batarang, the Batmobile, the Batwing, the Batcave, the bat-etcetera. The 1960s show? The Animated Series? Hell, isn't there a movie with Halle Berry about one of Batman's rogues? Like, how popular do you have to be as a character that taking a known villain and making it a solo movie is considered a viable business opportunity (despite its eventual mediocrity)? I mean, just imagine a solo Lex Luthor movie. It would probably suck. But people would line up for a Joker solo. See what I mean?

I'm not really into comic books but I grew up with these characters. As such, I consider myself unbiased. I was day one for Spider Man 2 (and regrettably, 3). I was day one for all the Nolan films. I was day 1 for Iron Man 2, despite not being as good as 1. I was day 1 for Avengers and AoU. Will do the same for Civil War. I personally like Spider Man more than Superman. Batman is my favorite. So you can see, I could care less about which franchise "wins."

But I am having a hard time fathoming how people would think there's any way this thing doesn't do 300 mil its opening weekend. A LOT of people love Star Wars which did 250 I believe, but Batman & Superman? Do people even realize the audience spectrum this will attract; this movie will affect every kid and every adult. Stars Wars is 40 years old. Superman and Batman are close to 80. They are, in a way, most people's childhood.

I am sorry, but historically, (and speaking generally here) people haven't had dreams about Spider Man (my #2) vs The Hulk. Deadpool vs Wolverine. Or even Iron Man vs Captain America. It's just not the same (though I'd be front row for any of those).

But we are talking about Batman and Superman. I keep saying it hoping people understand the significance. Guess not.

I don't know, I guess I'm just getting old.

icespide

Banned
I am just confused at some of these responses. 140-160 mil opening weekend? Batman and Superman? The most iconic superheroes of all time? Superman, them most known superhero, whose symbol has been identified as an American icon and culturally significant enough that kids that don't speak a lick of English can identify him? Batman, the most popular superhero of all time, a character whose name generates cash on pronunciation. The Batarang, the Batmobile, the Batwing, the Batcave, the bat-etcetera. The 1960s show? The Animated Series? Hell, isn't there a movie with Halle Berry about one of Batman's rogues? Like, how popular do you have to be as a character that taking a known villain and making it a solo movie is considered a viable business opportunity (despite its eventual mediocrity)? I mean, just imagine a solo Lex Luthor movie. It would probably suck. But people would line up for a Joker solo. See what I mean?

I'm not really into comic books but I grew up with these characters. As such, I consider myself unbiased. I was day one for Spider Man 2 (and regrettably, 3). I was day one for all the Nolan films. I was day 1 for Iron Man 2, despite not being as good as 1. I was day 1 for Avengers and AoU. Will do the same for Civil War. I personally like Spider Man more than Superman. Batman is my favorite. So you can see, I could care less about which franchise "wins."

But I am having a hard time fathoming how people would think there's any way this thing doesn't do 300 mil its opening weekend. A LOT of people love Star Wars which did 250 I believe, but Batman & Superman? Do people even realize the audience spectrum this will attract; this movie will affect every kid and every adult. Stars Wars is 40 years old. Superman and Batman are close to 80. They are, in a way, most people's childhood.

I am sorry, but no one dreams about Spider Man vs The Hulk. Deadpool vs Wolverine. Or even Iron Man vs Captain America. It's just not the same (though I'd be front row for any of those).

But we are talking about Batman and Superman. I keep saying it hoping people understand the significance. Guess not.

Civil War will have a bigger opening weekend than BvS. bookmark it

guek

Banned

I am sorry, but no one dreams about Spider Man vs The Hulk. Deadpool vs Wolverine. Or even Iron Man vs Captain America. It's just not the same (though I'd be front row for any of those).

Batman isn't guaranteed box office gold. Batman Begins opened with $48M and ended its domestic run at $205M. Of course that was off the back of the dismal Batman and Robin and this one follows the revered Nolan trilogy but it's not like MoS was universally loved either.

I hope people aren't too disappointed if this ends up performing like just another blockbuster movie.

J_Viper

Why do some here keep bringing up Superman's popularity as a factor? Have we forgotten MOS's less than stellar box office numbers?

It seems even Thor is a more popular name nowadays.

guek

Banned
Why do some here keep bringing up Superman's popularity as a factor? Have we forgotten MOS's less than stellar box office numbers?

It seems even Thor is a more popular name nowadays.

Not in the states. Thor 2 beat MoS abroad but not domestic.

I still don't know how Thor TDW did so well internationally. It's made nearly 70% of its $644M worrldwide gross overseas. How??? WHY???

Magwik

Banned
^^^ thats what i feel so too. I was called a troll for saying 300m
$300M is nearly impossible for March. There won't be as many screens as Star Wars, most people are back in school, and it doesn't have the Disney marketing machine behind it. Star Wars was literally everywhere and didn't top $250M OW, which the stars basically aligned for that to happen. Yes Batman and Superman are huge characters, but their prominence in culture has significantly dwindled as of late. TV shows/ cartoons? Nope. Just Direct to DVD Bat-Family films. could it blow up and surprise everyone like Jurassic World? Sure, but don't expect it to happen.

Batman isn't guaranteed box office gold. Batman Begins opened with $48M and ended its domestic run at $205M. Of course that was off the back of the dismal Batman and Robin and this one follows the revered Nolan trilogy but it's not like MoS was universally loved either.

I hope people aren't too disappointed if this ends up performing like just another blockbuster movie.

Batman Begins is a unique case. They went with franchise growth with that as the sequels exploded.

Personally think they should have given returns sequel another shot too. I don't think the bump would have been as enormous as tdk but it would have been pretty successful probably

This will make 150+ OW. And tbh even if it's in line with man of Steel or better (the latter has to be more likely with batman in and goyer out) I can see it getting to 800+ WW fairly easily

That stretch to a billion is what's hard. You need that international audience if you're a comic book movie

^^^ thats what i feel so too. I was called a troll for saying 300m

I don't know if anyone called you a troll. They did explain why a 300 million opening weekend is pie in the sky nonsense. I don't want to say it has a 0% chance but it's so low that it's not even worth entertaining the idea.

dcelw540

I am sorry, but historically, (and speaking generally here) people haven't had dreams about Spider Man (my #2) vs The Hulk. Deadpool vs Wolverine. Or even Iron Man vs Captain America. It's just not the same (though I'd be front row for any of those).

It's not going to make $300 million, reason being you looked at star wars marketing and hype we had young people and older people to see their favourite characters back on screen. Now with this some people are skeptical because of synder directing. My friends hated man of steel and is slightly excited for this. Then you have a new batman, once again some people excited and some still skeptical. Honestly, it's probably going to make roughly around 175 million to 200 million but no 300 million. If star wars can't do it yet no one can.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
$300M is nearly impossible for March. There won't be as many screens as Star Wars, most people are back in school, and it doesn't have the Disney marketing machine behind it. Star Wars was literally everywhere and didn't top $250M OW, which the stars basically aligned for that to happen. Yes Batman and Superman are huge characters, but their prominence in culture has significantly dwindled as of late. TV shows/ cartoons? Nope. Just Direct to DVD Bat-Family films. could it blow up and surprise everyone like Jurassic World? Sure, but don't expect it to happen.

Isn't Batman v Superman out on Easter weekend? and there's a slim competitiin during that period too.

Its a pretty significant movie though as it's most probably the first time we see them in life action movie on the big screen.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Civil War will have a bigger opening weekend than BvS. bookmark it

If it does, it's not comparable.

MOS made more than Iron Man. BvS is their second film, so should only be compared to the second film from the MCU box-office wise. So let's see if it can do more at the box office than...

The Incredible Hulk.

People were still talking about Batman & Robin when Begins came out.
Most of my friends wouldn't go to see it with me because of that.

I'd personally be surprised if it got as high as $200 million. I think it'll come close, maybe around 170-180 million.

300 million is insane. I'm not going to discount any possibility, given what Star Wars just did in December, but there's just no way it even comes close to that number.

With China and Japan getting the move at the same day, couldn't this be a new record at the BO WW? Star Wars: TFA made 530m. Well, probably not, but it could get close.

With China and Japan getting the move at the same day, couldn't this be a new record at the BO WW? Star Wars: TFA made 530m. Well, probably not, but it could get close.

Doubt it. It'd need to do better than Jurassic World, and I don't think the China numbers will be as high there for OW, and the addition of Japan isn't significant enough to offset. Plus I don't think BvS will beat JW's domestic weekend either, but it could be close.

And Star Wars too, so probably not.

Pluto

Alright. 200m then.
Even that's a bit too optimistic, there was probably the most thirst for DC movies for the Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, and both of those did $160 million for their opening weekends. I don't see why BvS would do much more, I doubt there are that many people who would go see a Superman movie but not a Batman movie but you'd need those people to make more money.
Man of Steel was also kinda crappy and people aren't thirsting for a sequel, it will make a lot of money but it won't come close to 200 million.

Rootbeer

Banned
yup. Why else would every single person in America have these:
bj7wKzv.jpg

Used to have them. After several moves and heavy use, not sure what happened to them. But yeah they were great movie tie-ins.

You don't see items of this quality as restaurant promos anymore.

At most, you will get standard plastic cups these days, and if you try to reuse them much the print will scratch off pretty fast. They are useless as collectibles.

Sucks.

Used to have them. After several moves and heavy use, not sure what happened to them. But yeah they were great movie tie-ins.

You don't see items of this quality as restaurant promos anymore.

At most, you will get standard plastic cups these days, and if you try to reuse them much the print will scratch off pretty fast. They are useless as collectibles.

Sucks.

Im kinda sad no fast food chain is even promoting Batman v Superman.
Not that I actually want the toys or whatever but just the advertisements and stuff make me nostalgic.
Batman TAS stuff from McDonald's, Batman Forever glass cups, Burger King Jurassic Park watches, Batman & Robin Taco Bell, Star Wars Episode 1 Taco Bell, Godzilla Taco Bell.

Hell even the Burger King promotion for Spiderman 2 I remember vividly as I was in a semester of summer school that year and stopped there for lunch or just a drink almost every day during that promotion before the hour and a half drive home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom